• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Any tips on how to beat DeRosa, Einheria, and her sisters? Multiburst from Artemia and Crescent Moon from Einheria wrecks me.

cheap way that works at any level: have Feel No Pain as an ability, induce some elemental weakness on all 4 of them, and start nuking them accordingly with the appropriate elemental compound

other cheap way: Hasten World+Super/High Jump

Finally got my end game set up.

Ringabel Performer/Freelancer

Shield Lore, Stand Ground, Auto Potion

Role:Troll combo. My hero+Mimic all day. Take dmg? 75% to live with 1 hp, auto potion self for another 75% to live with 1hp. Lel.

Tiz Dark Knight/Spell Fencer

Two-Handed, Gloom, P.Atck 30% up.

Role:Melt the enemy.Dark Nebula (with enigma) for multiple enemies, Rage spam for 1.

Edea Swordmaster/Pirate

Slow and Steady, Default Guard, Counter Amp, Two-Handed, P.Atck10%.

Role:Debuffer/Tank. Start debuffing the enemy and tank/counter with Provoke. Slow and Steady just in case she needs speed to raise people from dead.

Agnes Spiritmaster/White Mage

Conservation of Life, Holy One.

Role:Healer, Nullify damage. Either use Enigma or Adaptation for Dark Nebula/Enemy Spells, have Fairy Ward up at all times thanks to Convert BP and My Hero Spam.

Honestly I could probably get rid of Holy One because I can just heal using adaptation+Dark Nebula anyway but just in case Tiz is somehow unable to cast I need something to heal to 100%.

I'm pretty damn satisfied and I didn't have to cheese build. Time to wreck all these remaining sub-quests.

I just finished the game last night. I'm pretty sure I did everything except for the Chapter 8 sub-scenarios and the bonus dungeon.

(Ending Spoilers)

I got both endings, and in all honesty the true ending almost came close to making up for the four looping chapters for me. The plot was already getting progressively weirder from Chapter 5 onwards, so to just have the ending go all out and be almost unapologetic about its insanity was a pretty fun way to cap it off. It did get a bit on the nose about your friends' worlds helping out and the nature of the Celestial Realm, though.

I can see why people who enjoyed the story early on would really dislike where it ended up, but I didn't really care about the plot until Chapter 4 and actually didn't mind where it went later on. That doesn't excuse the ridiculous amount of recycled gameplay for the last four chapters, though. Since I went for all of the sub-scenarios aside from the ones in Chapter 8, I got really frustrated more than a few times. Worst case scenario, I think the plot could have stayed the same if they dropped two of the four recycled worlds and kept the sub-scenarios from Chapters 7 and 8.

The battle system was easily my favorite part of the game, and it was the biggest factor in pressing on during the later chapters. The soundtrack was great, although aside from one or two tracks there was no new music between Chapter 1 and the endings.

Regarding the characters, Agnes could get a bit annoying at times and Tiz was mostly average, but I didn't mind either of them. I liked Ringabel and Edea a lot more, though, and it's pretty obvious that Ringabel was the stand-out party member. Despite the disparity between the party members, I enjoyed most of the interactions between the group. As for the antagonists, I thought the asterisk bearers were great, especially in Chapter 7. Then, of course, there's Airy. I swear she was created out of a longstanding grudge with Navi from Ocarina of Time. She was annoying as a member of the group, though that much was probably intentional in hindsight. As a villain, though, she was incredibly well done and completely deplorable.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Bravely Second since it seems like a lot of the additions in "For the Sequel" were put in to address the tediousness of the later chapters (adjustable encounter rate, fast-forwarding battle animations). It helps that the special movie was pretty awesome, too.

Overall I'd say I had a great time with the game, even if I had to practically force myself through some of the later chapters.

Dabbed around with the Stillness loop to fight Lester. Mannnn so OP

I like using Amped Strike then follow it up with Mimics.

Chapter 6 last crystal spoilers

Broke the crystal. Man, Airy is ugly. Gonna do this ending and then plow my way through to the True Ending.

True Ending Bosses question:

Are the boss fights after fighting Airy at the top of the final dungeon as hard as that fight (the earlier Airy fights on the ship were very easy for reference)? I died a few times until I was able to find a pretty good rhythm with my class set ups, and was just wondering if I was going to have to make as much of an effort or if the hardest part is over

True Ending Bosses question:

Are the boss fights after fighting Airy at the top of the final dungeon as hard as that fight (the earlier Airy fights on the ship were very easy for reference)? I died a few times until I was able to find a pretty good rhythm with my class set ups, and was just wondering if I was going to have to make as much of an effort or if the hardest part is over

The true final boss after Airy is mostly a fight about survival. So as long as you can survive big hits, keep your party healed and stay alive you shouldn't have too much trouble.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Dabbed around with the Stillness loop to fight Lester. Mannnn so OP

I like using Amped Strike then follow it up with Mimics.

Chapter 6 last crystal spoilers

Broke the crystal. Man, Airy is ugly. Gonna do this ending and then plow my way through to the True Ending.
You're going to miss the yummy items in CH 7?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 7 fights were good, but the Chapter 8 fights are something else.

At
Eternian Central Command
and I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to get thrown at me next.

Chapter 5 and 6 really either shouldn't have existed, or at least been merged into one chapter. Because they really take the wind out of the player's sails before the game (and sidequests) gets good again.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Chapter 7 fights were good, but the Chapter 8 fights are something else.

At
Eternian Central Command
and I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to get thrown at me next.

Chapter 5 and 6 really either shouldn't have existed, or at least been merged into one chapter. Because they really take the wind out of the player's sails before the game (and sidequests) gets good again.

Pretty much. I wonder how many people skipped the sidequests in 7 and 8 because of the drudgery of 5 and 6. Kind of a shame considering how entertaining the fights actually were.

I just read that in the original release the sub-events in Chapters 7 and 8
were the same as the ones in Chapters 5 and 6.

If that's true, then I guess the devs really have been pushing for fan feedback.

Okay, so I just beat the game (True Ending), questions:

What the hell happened to Tiz? What did he borrow? And did he die when he gave it up in the cemetary? Also, are we supposed to know what the hell the sequel teaser movie is about? Was Tiz stuck inside the thing that Victor put Victoria in, or was that just some random connection I made?

Nevermind, I read up on it, I guess I didn't pay enough attention...

All the classes feel so good none have felt like throw aways so far. Just got time mage and spell fencer and I honestly don't know how to switch up my team because all of my classes are good - great so far.

I also like how you don't have to put a single second into a class to have access to their default skill set.

I just read that in the original release the sub-events in Chapters 7 and 8
were the same as the ones in Chapters 5 and 6.

If that's true, then I guess the devs really have been pushing for fan feedback.

What the... really? Wow. I don't think the original game had the ability to change the encounter rate either, lol. That's the only way I got through Chapters 5-8 without going crazy. I just grinded outside Florem while watching Netflix until I was a level I wanted to be at, then I turned off encounters and did all the story/sidequests in those chapters. If there was no way to turn off encounters, I definitely wouldn't have done that.

Like someone else said, they should have completely removed Chapters 5 and 6, and just had Chapters 7 and 8. Or merged Chapters 5 and 6 at the very least.

Ch6 spoilers:
What's a decent strategy for defeating the Conjurer? I hold him off for a while but I eventually get devastated by his Meteors and his one hit KO's.
Also, could anyone share some tips on some good job setups to help me out in the final stretch? I've been doing well for a while, but I have a feeling the game's about to catch up to me.

One more thing from Chapter 6:
Did anyone actually notice the numbers in Airy's wings before they revealed it? I also like the little message in the title screen when you find out what's really going on with Airy.

Ch6 spoilers:
What's a decent strategy for defeating the Conjurer? I hold him off for a while but I eventually get devastated by his Meteors and his one hit KO's.
Also, could anyone share some tips on some good job setups to help me out in the final stretch? I've been doing well for a while, but I have a feeling the game's about to catch up to me.

One more thing from Chapter 6:
Did anyone actually notice the numbers in Airy's wings before they revealed it? I also like the little message in the title screen when you find out what's really going on with Airy.

One setup really helped me during some of the Chapter 6+ encounters (I mainly used this combo in Chapter 8 tho because some of the fights get really hard):
Pirate/Bushido x3 (both maxed if possible - definitely need Swordmaster maxed for Free Lunch) so they can use Free Lunch (nothing costs MP) -> Amped x3, etc and then a Spiritmaster/White Mage. There's lots of other combos, but that one worked pretty great for me.

Your other comment:
I didn't notice that at all until Ringabel mentioned it. Then I started to notice it each time we went through the holy pillar. And yeah, the title screen thing is awesome. Such a nice touch.

I know I'm still early in the game but I feel they're making it far to obvious that
ringabel is the dark knight alternis
I hope there is a better explination then the standard
split personality or lying about who he is
. After reading his diary and how the opening cinematic played out I'm kind of expecting
some kind of time travel or alternate dimension shenanigans going on where the parties ringabel is actually ringabel from another world or some such thing hence his knowledge of future events that are similar yet different to what really happened. Or that dark knight alternis will get sent back in time and become ringabel with amnesia

Will be fun to see how it plays out either way

Ending question

Wait so I'm right before the final fight in the normal ending. If I beat this what happens, I teleport back to before I destroyed Crystal?

This may be me being paranoid but Norm Ending stuff

Is it possible to miss dialogue between the boss and the characters if you defeat it too fast? I beat it in 2 turns so uh.

KHlover

Banned
This may be me being paranoid but Norm Ending stuff

Is it possible to miss dialogue between the boss and the characters if you defeat it too fast? I beat it in 2 turns so uh.
Uhm...I think xD

There is so much bonus dialogue in some of the boss fights, sometimes even depending on the attacks you use against them.

You probably missed something >.<

This fucking New Year's boss.

I have no idea how you're supposed to manage that fight in a non-cheesing manner or without a dedicated Spiritmaster. You basically can't use physical attacks and have to take your chances with magic. I did notice however that if you have hasten world he'll stop using Before Swine after the first turn. But in exchange he'll start spamming Susano-o and a regular attack (which will always crit for 9999) every single turn. That is until you get him to low health, and then the BP drinks come into play, and the hurting, and the death.

It's the most ridiculous boss in the game.

I get that time mages can raise your hits/evasion with their specials which can go a long way in damage dealing (its why bow thieves are so strong early game) but as a whole with an active time system it feels like time mages are massively nerded compared to previous job based games from Square Enix

Espada

So, I just finished this and... wow. The
alternative ending was nice, but the real ending to the game was awesome. Airy's final form was difficult, though mostly because of that Acedia+Zeta Flare business. I have no idea how you're supposed to deal with that if you have no Spiritmaster abilities on you. Ouroboros was a death-spamming asshole, and combined with that Disaster move and amping himself up = yipes.

Airy was a great villain, she was absolutely loathsome and deserved the asswhooping and death she got.

I have a question about the ending, though: At the end, it's the Celestial's soul that leaves Tiz's body, right? That would explain why he's still alive in the special movie with Magnolia.

Going into Chapter 8 with this setup. Feels like I'm cheesing the game a lot.

Swordmaster/Black Mage Tiz with Knuckle Lore + Phantom Weapon
Salve-Maker/White Mage Anges with Holy One + Save WM MP
Freelancer/Dark Knight Ringabel with Maximize Health
Thief/Freelancer Edea with Rob Blind

TRUE ENDING SPOILERS

LORD DEROSSO NOOOOO. Also Tiz be kind of a dick keeping a secret like that. As soon as he heard the word celestial he should have maybe you know shared that he has a fking God Soul. And then he's like "welp time to return this red plot point". Don't just die off like that later mang, just to revived for sequel time.

Also Airy>Ouroboros. Ouroboros being one of the worst final bosses for me in recent memory.

Overall I enjoyed this more than I thought I would though some parts of the game could use a bit more polish. If the sequel brings it (Tales of Symphonia dungeons) it's day 1.

Story 7/10
Gameplay 8.5/10
Characters 6.5/10
Music 9/10
Design 7.5/10
Graphics 8/10
Dialogue 8/10
ReviewLegitness 10/10

For 3DS RPGs I played recently I think Fire Emblem was the slightly better overall game and BD was the better "game". I liked both better than SMTIV though.

Seriously though that Lord Derosso. Best character.

Unfortunately I don't see myself replaying this anytime soon. Kind of burned out on the whole repetitiveness.

This fucking New Year's boss.

I have no idea how you're supposed to manage that fight in a non-cheesing manner or without a dedicated Spiritmaster. You basically can't use physical attacks and have to take your chances with magic. I did notice however that if you have hasten world he'll stop using Before Swine after the first turn. But in exchange he'll start spamming Susano-o and a regular attack (which will always crit for 9999) every single turn. That is until you get him to low health, and then the BP drinks come into play, and the hurting, and the death.

It's the most ridiculous boss in the game.

non-cheese edition, not particularly reliable though

inb4 "Rampart is cheesing too"

Story 7/10
Characters 6.5/10

come on man, story>characters?

edit: wait a minute, can Turn Toxic+Megaelixir break the damage cap in Bravely Second
because normal Megaelixir can against Gigas Lich

also damn Artemia and Mephilia are delivering the ether in Chapter 8

Soriku

I just had an awesome fight with Satan. Tiz is a Spiritmaster/Performer, Agnes is an Arcanist/Time Mage, Ringabel is a Salvemaker/Merchant, and Edea is a Pirate/Dark Knight.

Tiz was there to build up BP with My Hero, buff physical and elemental attacks, use Fairy Ward to guard against Berserk status, and Stillness was also there to help when Satan had 2-3 BP.

Agnes I just made her use Reraise on the whole party. I could've had her use Sacrifice + Meteor too but didn't.

Ringabel I had him use Low Leverage to cut MP/BP costs/enemy damage (also cuts your damage but that's OK) and I used Widen Area for X-Potions when I needed it.

Edea was my only attacker. She'd use Blood Blade + Life or Death, then use Dark Bane + Rage the next turn. She was able to do 4-5k damage normally like 5 or 6 times in a row using this combo.

It was pretty awesome when I started using Stillness to guard against Satan's attacks at the right time (luckily Tiz was able to act fast). I also had Protect Ally on Tiz which seemed to help a bit since he was a tank with 2x Blood Shields and he took a few hits which might've set me back a bit. Edea is pretty powerful now with her Dark Knight attacks and I've been using her to
redo the bosses
in chapter 5...which is alright so far. Then Agnes and Ringabel are pretty good support. Eventually I can see Agnes doing 4x 9999 damage a turn to a boss even with Low Leverage.

demidar

non-cheese edition, not particularly reliable though

inb4 "Rampart is cheesing too"

come on man, story>characters?

edit: wait a minute, can Turn Toxic+Megaelixir break the damage cap in Bravely Second
because normal Megaelixir can against Gigas Lich

also damn Artemia and Mephilia are delivering the ether in Chapter 8

Is there a reason why he's using Iniquity for damage rather than Phoenix Flight with Drain and double max HP?

Soodanim

Is evasion worth equipping for? Edea is currently a ninja, and I've tried making use of transience. After a shunshin her evasion is at 82, but blocking is still rare. Should I just be using utsusemi instead, and equipping gear that helps in other ways?

As a side note, I don't know what I would have done without the Blessed Shield. It's invaluable. Especially with the horribly named epic group cast ability.

Edit: never mind, I found an answer

Chapter 8,
these sidequest fights are serious business. I didn't have too much trouble with the first five but once you get into Eternian Central Command you can tell the game is done playing around. Godspeed Strike hurts.

So far I managed to take out the first two groups but I called it a night after that. Does it get much tougher after that? I'm curious to see what the remaining groups will be.

Anyway, I think it's really neat how they mix things up with these late game fights. Not only do you have the whole multiple enemies thing going on, but they also really change their strategies and moves. Large BP Drink came out of nowhere, for instance. Good stuff.

My party right now is:
Tiz - Dark Knight / Spell Fencer: Drain + Dark Nebula once Enigma is cast.

Edea - Swordmaster / Pirate: Free Lunch + Amped Strike or lots of Skull Bash and Defang.

Agnes - Performer / White Mage: Healing, Dispel, My Hero / One More For You

Ringabel - Spiritmaster / Time Mage: Lots of Enigma and Fairy Ward. If I get some free turns I like to spam Meteor for awhile.

This setup has served me well for quite some time. I don't think I'll change it anymore unless I get stuck.

bumpkin

Hmm, so is
chapter 5 a downer for anyone else? I can't believe I have to re-fight all four of the crystal bosses! I barely got past the last two the first time around. I mean I didn't mind the twist w/ Alternis looking like Ringabel for some odd reason (don't spoil anything about this, please...), and the events/towns seemingly have gone back before everything my party has done, but the forced boss gauntlet is insulting.

Also, are all of the blue points on the map basically boss re-fights? I went to one not knowing that ahead of time and was glad I saved my game right before. When I realized I was in a re-fight, I quit the game, re-loaded my save file and concerned myself only w/ the crystal temple waypoints.

Maedhros

Maaan, after finishing the demo I'm starting the game...

The first thing I noticed: what terrible, TERRIBLE voices. The videos are amazing, but the voices... ugh. Horrible.

Tripon

Maaan, after finishing the demo I'm starting the game...

The first thing I noticed: what terrible, TERRIBLE voices. The videos are amazing, but the voices... ugh. Horrible.

Switch to JP voices, you'll save your ears. Although I'm going to do my second run soon, and I'm going to switch back to English voices, lol.

Top Bottom