• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Hmm, so is
chapter 5 a downer for anyone else? I can't believe I have to re-fight all four of the crystal bosses! I barely got past the last two the first time around. I mean I didn't mind the twist w/ Alternis looking like Ringabel for some odd reason (don't spoil anything about this, please...), and the events/towns seemingly have gone back before everything my party has done, but the forced boss gauntlet is insulting.

Also, are all of the blue points on the map basically boss re-fights? I went to one not knowing that ahead of time and was glad I saved my game right before. When I realized I was in a re-fight, I quit the game, re-loaded my save file and concerned myself only w/ the crystal temple waypoints.

You'll hate
Chapters 6, 7, and 8 then. :(

Skip all the sidequest bosses in Chapters 5 and 6 - EXCEPT do the new Conjurer sidequest in Chapter 6. Do the ones in Chapter 7 and steal from every boss. Chapter 8 is a good challenge, but nothing good as far as drops/steals. If you want to do a few of the ones in Chapter 5 to get a feel for how the world is different, feel free, but some of them haven't changed much.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that fight in Chapter 8
49th floor in Central Command against the mages.
Seems like you have to cheese it one way or another, because of the 1HKO on the first turn. Either Stillness or Iceflame shields on everyone, and I'm not even sure the latter would work? Didn't try, but Enigma didn't work since the Fire-Weak debuff overrides it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just started Ch.5, where can I go grind out JP and Pg? I know the answers are in this thread, but it's going to take so long to go through every page in this thread before I find it! Help!

:(

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Seems like you have to cheese it one way or another, because of the 1HKO on the first turn. Either Stillness or Iceflame shields on everyone, and I'm not even sure the latter would work? Didn't try, but Enigma didn't work since the Fire-Weak debuff overrides it.

I don't know how viable it is, but apparently you can actually drain all their MP and win that way. You can also use shin smash on
Qada
so that he goes after everyone else has attacked, then you can get rid of the fire-weak the next turn before everyone else destroys you. I used Stillness myself though.

Just started Ch.5, where can I go grind out JP and Pg? I know the answers are in this thread, but it's going to take so long to go through every page in this thread before I find it! Help!

:(

Around the Florem area. I used the island northeast of it with the obelisk on it (has a grassy, sandy, and snowy area on it) but I don't know if it really matters.

You'll hate
Chapters 6, 7, and 8 then. :(

Skip all the sidequest bosses in Chapters 5 and 6 - EXCEPT do the new Conjurer sidequest in Chapter 6. Do the ones in Chapter 7 and steal from every boss. Chapter 8 is a good challenge, but nothing good as far as drops/steals. If you want to do a few of the ones in Chapter 5 to get a feel for how the world is different, feel free, but some of them haven't changed much.

I had someone else I know who is playing this warned me about it last night and it really took the air out of my sails for wanting to finish it. I'm still in Chapter 4 right after finding Edea's room. For those who did finish the game... is it worth it?

Niraj

I had someone else I know who is playing this warned me about it last night and it really took the air out of my sails for wanting to finish it. I'm still in Chapter 4 right after finding Edea's room. For those who did finish the game... is it worth it?

If you think you'll get bored, just skip the sidequests in 5 and 6 (except for one where you get the last job...it's pretty clearly telegraphed which one it is). 7 and 8 have more challenging boss fights and 7 has great items to steal in just about every fight, but, again, if you don't feel like doing them, you don't have to do the majority of them. Personally I didn't have a problem with any of it since most of those boss fights were done in an attack turn or two at that point, but I can understand the complaints. I did like the true ending and the game overall quite a bit.

eliochip

Wow this game was pretty boring from the outset. Hearing everyone here say it gets worse as it goes on does not fill me with optimism :(

the cheesiest cheese strats ever

(hope you have plenty of Megalixirs on hand)

Hmm, so is
chapter 5 a downer for anyone else? I can't believe I have to re-fight all four of the crystal bosses! I barely got past the last two the first time around. I mean I didn't mind the twist w/ Alternis looking like Ringabel for some odd reason (don't spoil anything about this, please...), and the events/towns seemingly have gone back before everything my party has done, but the forced boss gauntlet is insulting.

Also, are all of the blue points on the map basically boss re-fights? I went to one not knowing that ahead of time and was glad I saved my game right before. When I realized I was in a re-fight, I quit the game, re-loaded my save file and concerned myself only w/ the crystal temple waypoints.

Yeah, the whole refighting the bosses does suck, but with the right jobs, they get to be pretty easy. You can grind in the northern part of Florem..it's the area that gives the most XP/JP that I know of. The sidequest bosses aren't completely pointless; they'll have new dialogue and some reveal more info of the backstory. I recommend at least fighting Braev again because he reveals his motives for being an Anticrystalist. Just keep grinding though until you get halfway through chapter 6 because that's when things start to become clear.

Trying to collect Genomes. One of them is supposed to come from the Ice Golem in Chapter 5 according to the site I've been looking at, but he doesn't seem to be there.
I assumed it meant the one you fight at the beginning of Chapter 4 but perhaps I'm mistaken?
Any tips?

I can see why people would complain, but I've enjoyed Chapter 5 way more than Chapters 1-3.

They tried DS-style subplots in those chapters but, unlike DQ, none of them were endearing and I found all but the ones in Chapter 2 to be aggressively obnoxious.

I like having the freedom to do things in whatever order I want and it has been interesting reading the
new
text from the bosses. But then again, I'm one of the minority who really enjoyed the Endless Eight in
Melancholy Season 2

Niraj

Trying to collect Genomes. One of them is supposed to come from the Ice Golem in Chapter 5 according to the site I've been looking at, but he doesn't seem to be there.
I assumed it meant the one you fight at the beginning of Chapter 4 but perhaps I'm mistaken?
Any tips?

You can fight them around the Eternia area now.

vareon

Finished. I am so happy.

Excluding
The bonus dungeon and Eternia battles starting from battle 3
. I'm just too tired lol.

you have some alternate suggestions for beating the gauntlet at base level (besides the other options from that playthrough, like Lightning Bane+Pantheon's Wrath)
I haven't finished it myself so I can't say. All I'm saying is the rewards for finishing this particular part of the game are pretty paltry so if the only way to do it is this type of cheesing (which, lets be honest, requires no strategy whatsoever) what's the point? Just to say you did it?

If I got to a point where I didn't think I could beat that part of the game without resorting to a method like this I would just move on but I guess that's just me.

Also, if the game is balanced such that there is no way to win these fights without this type of cheesing then I would have to say that is pretty poor game design.

I haven't finished it myself so I can't say. All I'm saying is the rewards for finishing this particular part of the game are pretty paltry so if the only way to do it is this type of cheesing (which, lets be honest, requires no strategy whatsoever) what's the point? Just to say you did it?

If I got to a point where I didn't think I could beat that part of the game without resorting to a method like this I would just move on but I guess that's just me.

Also, if the game is balanced such that there is no way to win these fights without this type of cheesing then I would have to say that is pretty poor game design.

it's a low level run, if you try a straight fight you're gonna get slaughtered mercilessly by everything
of course a LLG would use all the broken strats, you definitely could do a "fair" fight at level 99 though

Do we know if jobs affect stat growth like in Tactics?

I'm trying to decide who's going to be the mage and physical attacker, but I don't want to limit myself to that combo if possible.

it's a low level run, if you try a straight fight you're gonna get slaughtered mercilessly by everything
of course a LLG would use all the broken strats, you definitely could do a "fair" fight at level 99 though
Okay, that's a fair point. I didn't pay enough attention to see that it was a low level run. And look, there are varying degrees of "cheesing" in this game and I totally realize that (and am guilty of it myself in some ways), I just feel like that particular example is extreme enough to make it kind of pointless if it were a regular run.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how viable it is, but apparently you can actually drain all their MP and win that way. You can also use shin smash on
Qada
so that he goes after everyone else has attacked, then you can get rid of the fire-weak the next turn before everyone else destroys you. I used Stillness myself though.

Running them out of MP seems pointless, if you're set to survive their attacks they aren't difficult.

Shin Smash seems like it could work though, provided the combined attacks aren't enough to kill you without Fire-Weak.

the cheesiest cheese strats ever

(hope you have plenty of Megalixirs on hand)

It's like fondue.

jamsy

So I downloaded the demo and have been tinkering with it before I get the full game.

Is it me, or is this thing really hard? On normal, enemies do a lot of damage, and you can't use magic until you reach level 1 in the job thing (which takes a whole lot of battles). So far, I've been running around the main city you start from and resting at the inn/saving after every battle....I've turned the difficulty down to easy, and even still, the grinding isn't very fast. I bought a cure spell but can't use it since I'm guessing I need to get get enough job points for white/red mage or whatever...

Or am I doing something terribly wrong?

can you even tell how much MP the enemy has?

So I downloaded the demo and have been tinkering with it before I get the full game.

Is it me, or is this thing really hard? On normal, enemies do a lot of damage, and you can't use magic until you reach level 1 in the job thing (which takes a whole lot of battles). So far, I've been running around the main city you start from and resting at the inn/saving after every battle....I've turned the difficulty down to easy, and even still, the grinding isn't very fast. I bought a cure spell but can't use it since I'm guessing I need to get get enough job points for white/red mage or whatever...

Or am I doing something terribly wrong?

you can use magic immediately, just buy a spell and switch to white/black/red mage....

Soriku

Maaan, after finishing the demo I'm starting the game...

The first thing I noticed: what terrible, TERRIBLE voices. The videos are amazing, but the voices... ugh. Horrible.

Agnes (at times), a few NPCs, and maybe Airy aside, all the voices are good.

Wow this game was pretty boring from the outset. Hearing everyone here say it gets worse as it goes on does not fill me with optimism :(

The story gets better.

Niraj

Running them out of MP seems pointless, if you're set to survive their attacks they aren't difficult.

Shin Smash seems like it could work though, provided the combined attacks aren't enough to kill you without Fire-Weak.

Well yeah, I wouldn't do the MP strategy either lol. It would take too damn long, assumedly.

Another way that would probably work without using Stillness is to have a Spiritmaster and 3 Dark Knights. Make sure the Spiritmaster is faster than the Dark Knights and use Adaptation four times. Then Dark Nebula x4 with the Dark Knights. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Well yeah, I wouldn't do the MP strategy either lol. It would take too damn long, assumedly.

Another way that would probably work without using Stillness is to have a Spiritmaster and 3 Dark Knights. Make sure the Spiritmaster is faster than the Dark Knights and use Adaptation four times. Then Dark Nebula x4 with the Dark Knights. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

but that doesn't stop you from getting nuked by fire

anyway (spoilers):
chapter 6,7,8 names are equal, dash, circle
= - O
whoa it's also a countdown

Niraj

but that doesn't stop you from getting nuked by fire

anyway (spoilers):
chapter 6,7,8 names are equal, dash, circle
= - O
whoa it's also a countdown

Does it not? Does the fire-weak override that or something?

Then again, wouldn't most of them be dead after that anyway?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, fire-weak overrides any buffs/immunities as long as it's the last one to be casted.

Not sure if that applies to equipment, eg Iceflame shield, or not.

Niraj

Yeah, fire-weak overrides any buffs/immunities as long as it's the last one to be casted.

Not sure if that applies to equipment, eg Iceflame shield, or not.

My mistake then. Still, you should be outputting enough damage to kill them in one hit, at least on normal.

I think it does override equipment. I seem to remember have Agnes holding an iceflame shield the first time and it didn't work out.

KHlover

Banned

No idea what he means, unless the enemies have more than 120k HP they'll get grilled in the first round anyways.

Niraj

No idea what he means, unless the enemies have more than 120k HP they'll get grilled in the first round anyways.

That's what I figured, as long as you're faster. Just go Gloom+P attack 30%+two handed for your abilities to output even more damage.

Is this similar to tactics where I dont have to switch jobs at all, just stick to what I like throughout the whole game, I want to play this but not crazy about job systems.

several of those bosses have over 120k HP, not to mention there's plenty of statuses that they can inflict to stop a few Dark Nebulas here and there, completely screwing up your plans (Paralyze, Charm, etc.)
espeically Einheria, you need 15 hits to kill her

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What's your favorite troll build? :p

Templar, Performer, Spiritmaster and any damage dealer of choice seem to roflstomp everything

Niraj

several of those bosses have over 120k HP, not to mention there's plenty of statuses that they can inflict to stop a few Dark Nebulas here and there, completely screwing up your plans (Paralyze, Charm, etc.)
espeically Einheria, you need 15 hits to kill her

Wasn't the original post I responded to just talking about the individual boss fight, not the gauntlet? HP depends on the difficulty as well.

gzero

Is the second half of the game quicker than the first? I'm almost at the 40 hr mark, in chapter
, just doing the
vampire
side-quest before I
enter the pillar of light
. I'm having fun but I don't know if I can put another 40 hrs into this game.

Wasn't the original post I responded to just talking about the individual boss fight, not the gauntlet? HP depends on the difficulty as well.

the discussion was about the Mega Magic fight, where
Yulyana
still requires 14 hits on hard mode
now obviously if he's not playing on hard mode then that strategy would probably work, but he never specified anywhere

KHlover

Banned
Is the second half of the game quicker than the first? I'm almost at the 40 hr mark, in chapter
, just doing the
vampire
side-quest before I
enter the pillar of light
. I'm having fun but I don't know if I can put another 40 hrs into this game.
Depends on how much time you want to put in the second half of the game.

If you already leveled up high in Ch. 4 it's completely possible to start the final boss fight about an hour after you finish Ch.4

It's also possible to spend about 10-15 hours doing nothing but side-quests in these Chapters.

Niraj

the discussion was about the Mega Magic fight, where
Yulyana
still requires 14 hits on hard mode
now obviously if he's not playing on hard mode then that strategy would probably work, but he never specified anywhere

Well, just wondering since you were bringing up other bosses who aren't in that battle. Thought maybe I missed something. Definitely wouldn't do that in the gauntlet lol. I was just theorizing non-stillness methods anyway, never used that myself.

Im at the end of Chapter 4 and I think I might be overleveled because I kicked the shit out of every boss on that chapter. Im level 60 btw.

bodine1231

I'm at the beginning of Chapter 3 and I'm about ready to quit. While I like the improvements to the combat and I find the art very charming, the story and characters are boring as hell. Typing this now, I can't remember all the main characters names or motivations and I stopped playing only a few hours ago. In general the voice acting is 'ok' but Agnes' has one of the most annoying,overacted voices in recent memory.

This was easily my most anticipated game of the year because the JRPG genre is by far my favorite but so far this has been a slog. Also,I'm having a blast with South Park which is also killing my desire to go back to BD and with FFX/X2 coming out soon the window for me continuing with this game is closing.

Top Bottom