• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

L.O.R.D

reached chapter 3 , just beat
the singer lady
and
rescued the kids at the cave , still have to find the last one
my party is all level 40 now ..is that good ?
i have red mage , monk , knight and Valkyrie..is that good ? i am barely getting through the game,,
its my first real jrpg maybe that way i suc
any suggestion ?

oh, i forgot too add something
is there any guide to tel me every monster's weakness from each element ?

any help ?

gaiages

Banned
Final (True) Boss question:

Do I really have to wipe out Ouroboros' HP in a single turn? (I'm playing on Easy, so he has 75,000 HP if his Recovery technique is to be believed)

I'm really hoping not, since my characters are doing no where near 9999 per hit, so I couldn't really Brave and kill him in 12 attacks. If so, any advice? I suppose I could cheese it with Friend Summons, since I'm pretty sure I have at least 8 sporting max damage, but I'm kinda wondering what people did, first.

any help ?

Your level seems right, at least. Have you leveled Black and White Mage at all? You have a lotta physical damage going on, and Red Mage is more a jack of all trades type than a dedicated magic user. So with Black/Magic you'd be damaging/healing more (respectively) than with Red. Also, Spell Fencer is very useful if you want your physical units to be able to do elemental damage at will

Since you're new to JRPGs, I'd recommend a more balanced team: Healer (White Mage/Spiritmaster/Salvemaker), Physical Damage (if you want beefy defense Knight/Valkyrie, squishy but usually better offense Thief/Ranger/Ninja), Magic Damage (Black/Summoner), and probably Support (Performer, Time Mage, etc)... or really whatever you want for the fourth character. Of course, Bravely Default is flexible enough that you can go in with whatever teams you want and shouldn't be too bad off, so this is really only a very basic suggestion. :3 Hope it helps a bit.

RiggyRob

Do I really have to wipe out Ouroboros' HP in a single turn? (I'm playing on Easy, so he has 75,000 HP if his Recovery technique is to be believed)

I'm really hoping not, since my characters are doing no where near 9999 per hit, so I couldn't really Brave and kill him in 12 attacks. If so, any advice? I suppose I could cheese it with Friend Summons, since I'm pretty sure I have at least 8 sporting max damage, but I'm kinda wondering what people did, first.

You just have to survive past all of the cutscenes - when you see yourself in your 3DS, you can go ahead and fight him properly.

L.O.R.D

Your level seems right, at least. Have you leveled Black and White Mage at all? You have a lotta physical damage going on, and Red Mage is more a jack of all trades type than a dedicated magic user. So with Black/Magic you'd be damaging/healing more (respectively) than with Red. Also, Spell Fencer is very useful if you want your physical units to be able to do elemental damage at will

Since you're new to JRPGs, I'd recommend a more balanced team: Healer (White Mage/Spiritmaster/Salvemaker), Physical Damage (if you want beefy defense Knight/Valkyrie, squishy but usually better offense Thief/Ranger/Ninja), Magic Damage (Black/Summoner), and probably Support (Performer, Time Mage, etc)... or really whatever you want for the fourth character. Of course, Bravely Default is flexible enough that you can go in with whatever teams you want and shouldn't be too bad off, so this is really only a very basic suggestion. :3 Hope it helps a bit.

most of the time i depend on physical attacks , i also use alot of items like bombs
but i want to know the weakness to every enemy ( super effective to certain type of attack ? )

Soriku

You just have to survive long enough to move through the stages of the battle.

If you had to deplete the boss's HP in each stage, the fight would be super long :x

suzu

most of the time i depend on physical attacks , i also use alot of items like bombs
but i want to know the weakness to every enemy ( super effective to certain type of attack ? )

You'll have to use Freelancer's Examine ability to check their weakness. Or look up a guide.

There are some enemies that are a little obvious: like Undead are weak to light (or heals) or fire element, Aquatic enemies weak to lightning, Plants weak to fire... etc. I think most of the Eternian humans are weak to lightning too.

Anyone able to swap friend codes to offer me some powerful summons I could use to pummel the last end bosses, please? Would be very grateful!

L.O.R.D

You'll have to use Freelancer's Examine ability to check their weakness. Or look up a guide.

There are some enemies that are a little obvious: like Undead are weak to light (or heals) or fire element, Aquatic enemies weak to lightning, Plants weak to fire... etc. I think most of the Eternian humans are weak to lightning too.

can you direct me to an online guide ?
light attacks ? i thought light attack only for healing or support
can you give me an example of light and dark attack ?

Wrong.
The player is the celestial being using Tiz's body. You can even see your damn face over the clouds while fighting Ouroboros

I've read about that theory and considered it, but I don't really like it or believe it.
I don't really see a point in Airy's sister being in the game at all if that was the case unless it was just setting up for the sequel (which is possible).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
any help ?

Switch up your Jobs as soon as you hit Lv 8 or 9. The more passive abilities you are able to learn the better combinations in battle you can create when you need them. Don't let your characters sit at one specific job for too long. Diversify your portfolio!

L.O.R.D

Switch up your Jobs as soon as you hit Lv 8 or 9. The more passive abilities you are able to learn the better combinations in battle you can create when you need them. Don't let your characters sit at one specific job for too long. Diversify your portfolio!

i am grinding now on chapter 3
temple of fire
just bought the item that double the EXP and JP
all are level 54
i started level all other jobs now, however, i just can't level more then level 10 for the job ?

L.O.R.D

using Examine for each one will take time , and i have short memory , there are a lot of monsters

gaiages

Banned
You just have to survive past all of the cutscenes - when you see yourself in your 3DS, you can go ahead and fight him properly.

You just have to survive long enough to move through the stages of the battle.

If you had to deplete the boss's HP in each stage, the fight would be super long :x

Oh awesome, thanks guys. That makes me feel a lot better (I just kinda gave up after a certain amount of turns, heh)... guess I'll go finish the game now!

suzu

can you direct me to an online guide ?
light attacks ? i thought light attack only for healing or support
can you give me an example of light and dark attack ?

Google search Bravely Default bestiary or something like that.

Cures and Raise will do damage but only against Undead enemies (skeletons, zombies). There is a magic spell called Holy.

Dark element attacks are
Dark Knight abilities.
. There is a magic spell called Dark.

using Examine for each one will take time , and i have short memory , there are a lot of monsters

When you Examine an enemy, their info will be kept forever. After that you can just use the circle pad (I think it's that button?) to check their weakness anytime during battle without wasting a turn.

Jintor

So I guess this sums up how I feel about BD overall:

tumblr_n319b2BFKu1rdmvr5o2_500.jpg

L.O.R.D

Google search Bravely Default bestiary or something like that.

Cures and Raise will do damage but only against Undead enemies (skeletons, zombies). There is a magic spell called Holy.

Dark element attacks are
Dark Knight abilities.
. There is a magic spell called Dark.

When you Examine an enemy, their info will be kept forever. After that you can just use the circle pad (I think it's that button?) to check their weakness anytime during battle without wasting a turn.
thanks
found this
http://www.gamesradar.com/bravely-default-bestiary-guide/

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
i am grinding now on chapter 3
temple of fire
just bought the item that double the EXP and JP
all are level 54
i started level all other jobs now, however, i just can't level more then level 10 for the job ?

You can, but its just not worth it. There are better spots that give you a lot of JP in Chapter 5+.

Honestly I would not try to over level and take away all challenge of the game, with what you're doing.

KHlover

Banned
After pretty much exactly 100hrs of ingame playtime (110h in Activity Log) I now finally have all Jobs on LV14 for all characters. Yay.

Now onwards to Chapter 8 for the second time :lol:

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow I do not understand the speed stat at all in this game.

I've played the whole time setting up my characters to act in ascending order of of the AGI/Speed stat. Now I am fighting the last optional boss, and my characters are acting all out of turn. It makes no sense. Why is my character with 92 SPD acting in front of my guy with 104 SPD? I do not have any other active speed buffs going on at all.

Soriku

I've played the whole time setting up my characters to act in ascending order of of the AGI/Speed stat. Now I am fighting the last optional boss, and my characters are acting all out of turn. It makes no sense. Why is my character with 92 SPD acting in front of my guy with 104 SPD? I do not have any other active speed buffs going on at all.

Higher speed just makes it more likely for characters to act first, but it's not 100% guaranteed. It's annoying if my Tiz uses Stillness before my characters attack >_<

suzu

I think you need at least a 20 point difference.

Edit: For my Stillness user, their agi is 80~90 while the other three are sitting at 120+ agi. So Stillness is always cast after their turns and (usually) before the enemy.

Speed determines turn order, but there's some RNG involved kind of like for the damage calculators.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think you need at least a 20 point difference.

Edit: For my Stillness user, their agi is 80~90 while the other three are sitting at 120+ agi. So Stillness is always cast after their turns and (usually) before the enemy.

yeah, it's weird because I played the last 10 hours of the game with the SAME setup. Now in this certain boss battle, the turn order is just random as hell. It's frustrating.

Well, I don't care enough to fight with it. I need to finish Zelda anyway!

L.O.R.D

ok , i am stuck at the end boss of level 3
the giant zombie fish
i have time mage , used a magic suppose the half the HP of the monster , but not effected
when i die , its like start the battle all over again

KHlover

Banned
ok , i am stuck at the end boss of level 3
the giant zombie fish
i have time mage , used a magic suppose the half the HP of the monster , but not effected
when i die , its like start the battle all over again

I'm confused.

With "end boss of Level 3" do you mean Chaugmar in the Fire Temple? Anyways, bosses are usually immune against Gravity magic. Would be a bit cheap otherwise, don't you think? :p

Just default three times after the battle starts, go all out in the fourth round, default in the fifth round and then heal up to repeat that circle.

L.O.R.D

I'm confused.

With "end boss of Level 3" do you mean Chaugmar in the Fire Temple? Anyways, bosses are usually immune against Gravity magic. Would be a bit cheap otherwise, don't you think? :p

Just default three times after the battle starts, go all out in the fourth round, default in the fifth round and then heal up to repeat that circle.

no , the one at the engine room

I'm confused.

*uses Gravity on the New Year's Nemesis twice*

:p

(that doesn't work does it)

jamsy

So I've been wanting to get this game, but all I keep hearing about is how the first half of it is great, and the second half is horrible...

What's so bad about the latter half? Does it get grindy?

Mothman91

Got some questions now that I'm finally closing this game out.

I did read some stuff on how to get the true ending, I just gotta keep on purifying the crystals right?
At what chapter is the best to do the side quests and get the better armor and weapons?
Is free lunch and pirate x4 the best combo? And I use white Mage with spirit master as healer combo, that's the best combo for healing right?

RiggyRob

So I've been wanting to get this game, but all I keep hearing about is how the first half of it is great, and the second half is horrible...

What's so bad about the latter half? Does it get grindy?

With the encounter rate and difficulty sliders, it's only as grindy as you want it to be - however, the second half is repetitive. The main idea is to do Chapters 5 and 6 as quickly as possible, and then you can start enjoying Chapters 7 and 8 normally.

Got some questions now that I'm finally closing this game out.

I did read some stuff on how to get the true ending, I just gotta keep on purifying the crystals right?
At what chapter is the best to do the side quests and get the better armor and weapons?
Is free lunch and pirate x4 the best combo? And I use white Mage with spirit master as healer combo, that's the best combo for healing right?

Yep, for the true ending keep awakening crystals like Airy tells you too.

Chapter 7 is the best for getting the better weapons/armour, as far as I'm aware the only thing you can steal from the asterisk holders in Chapter 8 are Elixirs and Turbo Ethers, but the story side to the sidequests in Chapter 8 is also very good and the fights are fun and will show you some strategies to battling you might not be aware of.

It's one combo, and it's up there as one of the best damage-dealing combos, but people have different combinations that they like to mess around with such as High Jump with Hasten World. White Mage/Spiritmaster is a good healer combo, although I'd argue Spiritmaster/White Mage is better since the Spiritmaster's passive ability is Save 25% MP when using White Magic

Mothman91

Yep, for the true ending keep awakening crystals like Airy tells you too.

Chapter 7 is the best for getting the better weapons/armour, as far as I'm aware the only thing you can steal from the asterisk holders in Chapter 8 are Elixirs and Turbo Ethers, but the story side to the sidequests in Chapter 8 is also very good and the fights are fun and will show you some strategies to battling you might not be aware of.

It's one combo, and it's up there as one of the best damage-dealing combos, but people have different combinations that they like to mess around with such as High Jump with Hasten World. White Mage/Spiritmaster is a good healer combo, although I'd argue Spiritmaster/White Mage is better since the Spiritmaster's passive ability is Save 25% MP when using White Magic
Ah thank you so much

Also, should I save the chests for later or do they give out the same loot regardless?

RiggyRob

Ah thank you so much

Also, should I save the chests for later or do they give out the same loot regardless?

They give out the same loot as far as I'm aware - it's better to get them as early as possible so you can use them, since the Norende weapons/armour and the
bonus dungeon weapons/armour
you can get later usually outclass them.

Plus, it counts towards completing your encyclopedia if you like that kind of thing
(like I do)

Mothman91

They give out the same loot as far as I'm aware - it's better to get them as early as possible so you can use them, since the Norende weapons/armour and the
bonus dungeon weapons/armour
you can get later usually outclass them.

Plus, it counts towards completing your encyclopedia if you like that kind of thing
(like I do)
bonus dungeons? You mean like the vampire,which I'm getting the crystals for. Or something else?

duckroll

Finally got the the real final chapter. Should probably be able to finish this off tomorrow. The last few optional fights at the top of the Central Command gauntlet in chapter 8 were amazing fights. I really love the way the set up the teams and their AI. Great stuff. :D

Mothman91

It's actually called The End, so the chapter progression is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, The End - the bonus dungeon only opens up in The End chapter.
you said earlier that chapter 7 have the side bosses with good drop/steal options and 8 with just elixirs and stuff for steal items. How about their drop items? Anything special or is it the same?

L.O.R.D

just reached chapter 4
omg
why all the monsters all overpowered ?
all my characters are level 57
i used around 30 thunder bomb thing that deal major thunder attack to the enemies

RiggyRob

Nothing special that I can remember - maybe Lordly Robes from Ominas Crowe (I think you can steal those) but nothing as good as in Chapter 8.

Izayoi

Banned
The Chapter 4 -> 5 thing wasn't so bad. It doesn't take very long at all to mop all of that shit up, seeing as you
have the airship still

Seems like maybe some overreaction?

Zing

Banned
The game will show you the weakness of every monster you meet, if you have previously examined it. The only way it gets any easier is if you have someone else take over the controls for you.

DaBoss

Nearing what I assume is the end of Chatper 4, and I'm confused as to what is going on in the story. There is obviously some other side to the story, but the games' characters seem to be adamant on not telling me.

And then freaking
Yulyana appears and says he is a part of the Council of Six. Not really sure of what to make of that.

Garou

Can anyone who already beat the game tell me how long it takes to beat? Is it longer/"meatier" than for example Fire Emblem? I am trying to decide if I should go retail or eShop, but I usually only go eShop for games that are 50h++.

Can anyone who already beat the game tell me how long it takes to beat? Is it longer/"meatier" than for example Fire Emblem? I am trying to decide if I should go retail or eShop, but I usually only go eShop for games that are 50h++.

That really depends on how you play the game. Are you someone who does most/every sidequest? Explores a lot? Battles a lot? Would you grind any to level up all the various jobs for each character or just focus on certain ones? You can probably beat it in 35-40 hours, but it took me around 100 hours to do everything I wanted to in the game.

Garou

That really depends on how you play the game. Are you someone who does most/every sidequest? Explores a lot? Battles a lot? Would you grind any to level up all the various jobs for each character or just focus on certain ones? You can probably beat it in 35-40 hours, but it took me around 100 hours to do everything I wanted to in the game.

Grinding and leveling for the sake of it? Rather not.
Side quests? If they are well made and the game is engaging enough, Yes please!
So I guess it would be just around 50h for my play style...

Tripon

Nearing what I assume is the end of Chatper 4, and I'm confused as to what is going on in the story. There is obviously some other side to the story, but the games' characters seem to be adamant on not telling me.

And then freaking
Yulyana appears and says he is a part of the Council of Six. Not really sure of what to make of that.

Do the Vampire class side story in chapter 4, and then the Conjurer class side story in chapter 6 to get a lot of the world backstory. Basically, everyone is in on it.

Top Bottom