• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Soriku

Grinding and leveling for the sake of it? Rather not.
Side quests? If they are well made and the game is engaging enough, Yes please!
So I guess it would be just around 50h for my play style...

I spent around 82 hours on the game. Didn't do any grinding except in chapter 5, where I grinded for maybe 2 hours when I completely revamped my party, and that was good enough for the rest of the game. I played on Hard mode btw.

I did do all the sidequests, even in chapter 5 and 6, and beat all the optional bosses I could (including Nemeses in Norende).

By chapter 5, after I finished my grinding I avoided most random battles, which would've added more time to my playthrough. And 82 hours isn't counting deaths. Some bosses I had to spend more time on than others.

The game is pretty lengthy. FE probably has more meat to it, but it's also far more grindy. I couldn't even stomach FE for more than 30 hours.

I spent around 82 hours on the game. Didn't do any grinding except in chapter 5, where I grinded for maybe 2 hours when I completely revamped my party, and that was good enough for the rest of the game. I played on Hard mode btw.

I did do all the sidequests, even in chapter 5 and 6, and beat all the optional bosses I could (including Nemeses in Norende).

By chapter 5, after I finished my grinding I avoided most random battles, which would've added more time to my playthrough. And 82 hours isn't counting deaths. Some bosses I had to spend more time on than others.

The game is pretty lengthy. FE probably has more meat to it, but it's also far more grindy. I couldn't even stomach FE for more than 30 hours.

Fire Emblem is the opposite of grindy, especially when you can solo the entire game with the Avatar!

Mothman91

Ok, chapter 6 atm and something with the title screen that kind of gave me the chills

Where the Fairy Flies

Then it just just shows Airy Lies

Iono why, but it's kinda late and I'm in a dark room, and I kinda got a little freaked out inside of me.

Zetta

Ok, chapter 6 atm and something with the title screen that kind of gave me the chills

Where the Fairy Flies

Iono why, but it's kinda late and I'm in a dark room, and I kinda got a little freaked out inside of me.

By the time I saw it I already knew the truth but it still creeped me out a bit. I was honestly waiting on the screen to flash with youknowwho's face on it.

Soriku

Fire Emblem is the opposite of grindy, especially when you can solo the entire game with the Avatar!

It's grindy if you care about forming setups (although you can solo everything with a Sorceror) or if you care about seeing all the party chats.

Where the Fairy Flies

I heard if you say
"Bloody Airy"
three times in front of your 3DS, the final boss eats your face.

FluxWaveZ

Where the Fairy Flies

Yeah, it's strange just how unsettling that was. Loved it.

Labadal

The second to last fight in the Eternian Central had me completely going crazy. Took me six times to defeat. The enemy I tried to take out first in the failed attempts, I left for last this time. Used Fairy Ward once I scrolled through their abilities. I fear the last battle might drive me over the edge of lunacy. (I love the battles.)

Soriku

The second to last fight in the Eternian Central had me completely going crazy. Took me six times to defeat. The enemy I tried to take out first in the failed attempts, I left for last this time. Used Fairy Ward once I scrolled through their abilities. I fear the last battle might drive me over the edge of lunacy. (I love the battles.)

The last battle actually isn't that hard.

RiggyRob

Where the Fairy Flies

That's also when it occurred to me why the games had the subtitle - Bravely Default: Flying Fairy = Lying Airy and Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies = Airy Lies. Much cooler than the generic 'we had a subtitle with FF in it because of its links to Final Fantasy' response they gave before.

duckroll

Goddamn. 74 hours. Beat the entire thing. The final boss gimmick was pretty funny.
Wonzo's world got destroyed. RIP. I got to see the worlds of Aeana, Gotchaye, and Jascii. Someone else I don't recognize too. My friend list is too cluttered. Lol.

The story still sucks. Most of it was really dumb. But that's fine because I played it all for the BATTLES. I was pretty surprised that even at lvl99 with everyone having maxed out over 10+ jobs each, and having a really solid party set up, the final boss wasn't a total push over. He wasn't hard obviously, but it didn't feel like I was just mashing buttons mindlessly.

The highlight of the game remains the optional battles in ch7 and 8. Especially 8. The Central Command gauntlet. Soooo good. The Nemesis battles are pretty good too. I might go back and clear up the ones I have left after I take a break from this for a week or two. Feel totally burnt out big time. Way too long for the amount of content they had in the game. At least the mechanics were solid all the way to the end. :)

Since the game sold well, it'll be nice if they could make more content for the sequel so they don't have to do this bullshit again...

DaBoss

So Chapter 4 was the difficulty spike for me and required me to use "strategy" (AKA Utsemi or whatever it is called). The crystal boss there just made me use Reflect constantly along with Utsemi and it was pretty easy, though a bit long, but it was pretty satisfying.

And now I just started Chapter 5....and wtf.

duckroll

I don't think the game was lacking in content even without the filler, really. They just pushed it in to extremes with said bullshit.

It's a 60+ hour game with the content of a 40 hour game. That's lacking. Now that the game is successful, hopefully they can make a 60+ hour sequel with the content of a 60+ hour game.

There's no real point hoping that they would just make it a 40 hour game instead, because the mentality behind JRPG design seems to be "make it as long as possible to people feel it's a BIG game", and it's not going to change. Filler, fat, and collectathons seem to be the rule in the genre, even when they don't have the budget to fill it with meaningful content.

StarVigil

Where the Fairy Flies

OMG, THIS!!!
Did a backup of my and then I saw it appear just after I clicked A to resume the game
mq7g8YA.gif

I don't understand why, but it is really creepy.

As for the last few chapters,
I read about it before thankfully, so I just didn't bother with the sidequests, set the encounter rate to 0% and did everything in about 2 hours.
The secret ending made it worth it, though.

Goddamn. 74 hours. Beat the entire thing. The final boss gimmick was pretty funny.
Wonzo's world got destroyed. RIP. I got to see the worlds of Aeana, Gotchaye, and Jascii. Someone else I don't recognize too. My friend list is too cluttered. Lol.

MOD PARTY
:p

suaveric

I finally got to chapter 5,
what's the point of the sidequests? Why fight the bosses again, just for 999 job points? Can I just go do the crystals and get on with things? Do I miss any important story beats?

Soriku

I finally got to chapter 5,
what's the point of the sidequests? Why fight the bosses again, just for 999 job points? Can I just go do the crystals and get on with things? Do I miss any important story beats?

You miss a few things but it's not a big deal. Just fight the crystal bosses. There's a new sidequest in chapter 6 btw. You can skip the rest of the quests then too. Do the quests in chapter 7-8 though.

Labadal

Completed all the Eternia Central Command battles in chapter 8 and diod part of the true ending. Hopefully, I will have this wrapped up tomorrow or on Monday.

AJTsuki

Neo Member

Where the Fairy Flies

I'm with you. The moment I spotted that was memorable because I was just at the point of being
suspicious of the fairy
, and for the game to reinforce that in such a subtle way was masterful and really unexpected. I always wondered why the Japanese title translation was "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy". Now we know.

Soriku

I'm with you. The moment I spotted that was memorable because I was just at the point of being
suspicious of the fairy
, and for the game to reinforce that in such a subtle way was masterful and really unexpected. I always wondered why the Japanese title translation was "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy". Now we know.

One of the chapters, I think the false ending chapter, kept
"Lying Airy"
as its title like in the Japanese version, which I thought was a little weird since they changed the game's subtitle for the localization.

I laughed at the title screen, but I'm finding it amusing that it creeped you guys out :p

So the support skill memento says "you can not break the 999 mp cap without bravely second" now my question is, how the hell do you use bravely second with a supper skill that activates when you die? Better yet why would you ever want to break the 999 mp cap?

Edit: Also what does pirate Barbossa say if you hadn't fought the Swordmaster first? I missed the fog thing till later and he mentioned how I had beaten the Swordmaster character which I thought was cool

demidar

So the support skill memento says "you can not break the 999 mp cap without bravely second" now my question is, how the hell do you use bravely second with a supper skill that activates when you die? Better yet why would you ever want to break the 999 mp cap?

Edit: Also what does pirate Barbossa say if you hadn't fought the Swordmaster first? I missed the fog thing till later and he mentioned how I had beaten the Swordmaster character which I thought was cool

Have you tried KO'ing yourself in Bravely Second?

Soriku

I have a question about Chapter 5.

Is there any point to re-do all of the job boss battles?

Some new dialogue. That's it.

There is some new dialogue and a few new scenes in 6 too, but not much. Things really change in 7-8.

Labadal

Completed the The Dimension Hasp. Got all the treasures and the Adventurer's Mark. That was a crazy battle!

Only have the final dungeon left.

duckroll

I'm more interested in if I can send a suicide attack that restores mp because it'd be hilarious

What you are "sending" in a friend summon is the specific character doing the selected attack/ability. It does include all the passive abilities and all the equipment that character has equipped at that time as well, but it changes nothing for the actual player's party or characters. The summon also does not take into account any specific target, since the player selects the targeting for the friend summon.

So using Memento as a friend summon won't work, because there's no way for you to target the summoned character. You can either use the summon to target the enemy or yourself, but that doesn't really do any good at all unless one of your characters has Memento equipped. But then that would be the same as just using any regular attack on yourself to suicide.

What you are "sending" in a friend summon is the specific character doing the selected attack/ability. It does include all the passive abilities and all the equipment that character has equipped at that time as well, but it changes nothing for the actual player's party or characters. The summon also does not take into account any specific target, since the player selects the targeting for the friend summon.

So using Memento as a friend summon won't work, because there's no way for you to target the summoned character. You can either use the summon to target the enemy or yourself, but that doesn't really do any good at all unless one of your characters has Memento equipped. But then that would be the same as just using any regular attack on yourself to suicide.

So then you can't send a 999 mp memento but you can kill yourself with a bravely second attack to get that memento effect on yourself, why you'd want to I have no idea

but you CAN send Dark Nebula.......
*cackles*

Labadal

Finally beat the true ending! That last boss fight, oh my! I've never been a fan of final bosses having multiple forms although, having played jrpgs for 20 years, I know I can expect to see them. I would probably have broken the 3DS if I had lost on the final form. Luckily, I played it safe and focused on defense and immunities (ribbon, I love you).

Watched the bonus film and thought the use of the gyro function was cool, even if I don't want something like that while playing.

Didn't like Magnolias design or voice, but she beats Agnes everyday of the week.

Story was fairly weak. The most stupid and naive main characters in a long time. Still liked Ringabel and Edea, though, because mgrgrgr. Voice acting was a mixed bag, but mostly, not so grwat. Soundtrack and art were great even if some of the dungeons were boring grey corridors. The battle system was immensly fun. I love turn-based games and class systems. There are so many ways you can combine your party set-ups and be successful. The brave/default system really shone in boss fights, especially the sub-boss fights in chapter 7-8.

I will probably do another playthrough in a year or two. Missed one item and eight/nine enemies in D's journal.

I'm eagerly anticipating the sequel.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Ok, so I'm at Chapter 6 I believe and I'm about to
awaken the crystals for the second time. Is this part of the end game everyone bitches about? It's kind of annoying having to go through all the bosses again.
Either way, what's the best place to grind I'm around level 55-56?

Mothman91

Ok, so I'm at Chapter 6 I believe and I'm about to
awaken the crystals for the second time. Is this part of the end game everyone bitches about? It's kind of annoying having to go through all the bosses again.

Outside of Florem. Try to get the growth egg or w.e the double exp accessory is. Have 1-2 people with
Valkryie and use 2 crescent moons. I was like around level 70-80 at chapter 6, and I think you wanna level up a bit more but that's my opinion.

spiritfox

Finally got around to finishing this game. The last few chapters really sapped my will to continue, but the ending was worth it, I think? The last battle was so cheesy it was almost cool. And the special movie was an interesting use of the gyro.

I hope Bravely Second learns from the mistakes of this game. It has been discussed to death not just in this thread, but the second half, while I understand what they were going for, was just not fun to play. It's one of the rare occasions where it's better for it to be a cutscene than a playable section. And the story, sadly, wasn't even that good to carry that portion. Four Heroes of Light, its successor, had a pretty solid storyline, so I was surprised how badly the story fell apart.

At least the first half is pretty much the best RPG of the year, and I love everything else about it (ok not the voice acting). Still hyped for Bravely Second, though.

Meier

Is there some sort of bug that means if you have an item or items equipped that are meant to cancel out magic and then use a ward that gives you further resist, it'll wipe out the cancel effect?

Glad I wasn't the only one who was creeped out by the menu subtitle, lol. I remember losing a little sleep that night because I saw it right before I went to bed.

RiggyRob

Is there some sort of bug that means if you have an item or items equipped that are meant to cancel out magic and then use a ward that gives you further resist, it'll wipe out the cancel effect?

It's not a bug as far as I'm aware, it's an intended effect - for example, if you equip the Iceflame shield for Ice and Fire immunity, and a boss uses a Fire Weak spell, you will now be weak to Fire. This gets exploited pretty heavily in the later chapters.

It does suck that casting a ward to resist all magic removes your immunity to one particular magic, though.

Easy way (for me) is to buy/equip 4x sage's staff, growth egg, group cast all (if you have it). Then head to mythril mine and have everyone brave 4x and use the sage's staff on all enemies, maybe one person using blessed shield if your speed isn't reliable enough to hit first every time. Then auto-battle takes care of the rest.

I'm currently on Chapter 8 (I think?) and I'm getting spanked by the one 5-boss battle
swordmaster/ninja/performer/salvemaker/pirate
and I have no idea how to approach them. My current strategy is obviously no good lol. Any good way to approach this fight?

DaBoss

I finished Chapter 5. I think I see where this is going. Is there a new side quest in Chapter 6?

Also, how do you do the side quest from Chapter 4? I didn't know where to look so I didn't bother.

Soriku

I finished Chapter 5. I think I see where this is going. Is there a new side quest in Chapter 6?

Also, how do you do the side quest from Chapter 4? I didn't know where to look so I didn't bother.

New quest in 6, yes.

For the vampire quest, do you remember seeing those stone pillar things scattered on the world map? There are 6 of them to interact with. Save beforehand :)

Piscus

Easy way (for me) is to buy/equip 4x sage's staff, growth egg, group cast all (if you have it). Then head to mythril mine and have everyone brave 4x and use the sage's staff on all enemies, maybe one person using blessed shield if your speed isn't reliable enough to hit first every time. Then auto-battle takes care of the rest.

I'm currently on Chapter 8 (I think?) and I'm getting spanked by the one 5-boss battle
swordmaster/ninja/performer/salvemaker/pirate
and I have no idea how to approach them. My current strategy is obviously no good lol. Any good way to approach this fight?

Kind of a cheap way, but you could
have ninja 4x with valkyrie secondary abilities 4x, equip all with spears and give everyone secondary abilities for spear lore, speed up and physical attack up. MAKE SURE you give one person (your fastest character) the secondary ability of "Hasten World" (I think that's the time mage's level 14 ability). If everyone has a speed level of above 100, start the battle and have everyone brave once, use the ninja ability "Utsusemi", then use the valkyrie ability "High Jump."
Should take care of everyone pretty easily. When you face
the sage
further on, you could use this same method, but make sure
everyone has iceflame shields in their second hands
first.

Edit: And, of course,
push Y and pump that sucker up to 4x speeds
!

Top Bottom