• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Soriku

i am at
Lord DeRosso
chapter 4
how i suppose to kill him ?
level 67 all party
most of jobs are level 9-10

4x Ninjas with Transience, Comeback Kid, Turn Tables.

Brave once and use Utsusemi as your first action and a regular attack on your second.

Press Y to auto battle. Win.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Without cheesing it:

Keep your HP high with multitarget healing (Blessed Shield + Healing Lore should work really well, and Salve-Maker has that skill innately). This basically nulls Bone Crush, which does damage equal to your missing HP.

Energy Burst is strong, but you can get around it easily enough. Rampart blocks it. Utsusemi dodges it. I think he usually uses this after Battle Thirst to keep his BP up, so it's predictable and you should be able to default before he does it and just take a hit then heal up.

Taking advantage of Salve Maker is worthwhile in challenging fights. Add an elemental weakness to the enemy and use someone with Sword Magic (or a mage I guess) for extra damage output if you aren't already dealing 8000+ damage.

L.O.R.D

Without cheesing it:

Keep your HP high with multitarget healing (Blessed Shield + Healing Lore should work really well, and Salve-Maker has that skill innately). This basically nulls Bone Crush, which does damage equal to your missing HP.

Energy Burst is strong, but you can get around it easily enough. Rampart blocks it. Utsusemi dodges it. I think he usually uses this after Battle Thirst to keep his BP up, so it's predictable and you should be able to default before he does it and just take a hit then heal up.

Taking advantage of Salve Maker is worthwhile in challenging fights. Add an elemental weakness to the enemy and use someone with Sword Magic (or a mage I guess) for extra damage output if you aren't already dealing 8000+ damage.

this is for
DeRosso
?

Izayoi

Banned
Uhhhhh.........

Did I just completely fuck up?

In Chapter 5, I
broke a crystal
, and thanks to auto-save, I'm stuck now.

Is my save seriously ruined? I just spent hours grinding to 99 and max job levels, too................

If my save is actually ruined now I'm going to flip my shit. Why the fuck wouldn't there be some kind of warning? Holy shit.

I had a complete village, and 100% completion up until that point in the game... 62 hours down the drain. This is infuriating.

Soriku

Uhhhhh.........

Did I just completely fuck up?

In Chapter 5, I
broke a crystal
, and thanks to auto-save, I'm stuck now.

Is my save seriously ruined? I just spent hours grinding to 99 and max job levels, too................

You're in the false ending. If you beat it,
you'll go back to before you broke the crystal
, so you're good.

Izayoi

Banned
You're in the false ending. If you beat it,
you'll go back to before you broke the crystal
, so you're good.
Thank fucking christ.

Will I get a chance to revisit this later, after I complete the rest of the chapters normally? I know there are some items only available in this section.

Very displeased to have that plot point spoiled for me as well, even though I did suspect it earlier on.

I'm not too terribly impressed by the way this was handled.

Soriku

Thank fucking christ.

Will I get a chance to revisit this later, after I complete the rest of the chapters normally? I know there are some items only available in this section.

Uhh...well the false ending leads you to the final dungeon, where you can pick up the items there early. You can't pick them up twice though (once you get to the last dungeon in the true ending). The game will just act like you've picked them up before. You keep all the items you pick up.

By completing the false ending you get Agnes' Vestal Garb.

Izayoi

Banned
Uhh...well the false ending leads you to the final dungeon, where you can pick up the items there early. You can't pick them up twice though (once you get to the last dungeon in the true ending). The game will just act like you've picked them up before. You keep all the items you pick up.

By completing the false ending you get Agnes' Vestal Garb.
Okay, fair enough. Thanks! I was seriously freaking out. :lol

L.O.R.D

4x Ninjas with Transience, Comeback Kid, Turn Tables.

Brave once and use Utsusemi as your first action and a regular attack on your second.

Press Y to auto battle. Win.

wow, this almost work in anything
thanks, it feel i finally start to understand how combat work in this game

what the job for healing all the team on one move ?
the magic summing owl head men,,,where i can find them ? i got the fire train and the deus ex

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wow, this almost work in anything
thanks, it feel i finally start to understand how combat work in this game

what the job for healing all the team on one move ?
the magic summing owl head men,,,where i can find them ? i got the fire train and the deus ex

All the White Mage cure spells (and the Blessed Shield, which functions as Cura when used) can be used on the whole party, just select All Allies as the target. Without the Epic Group Cast ability effectiveness is reduced with multiple targets.

My beef with White Mage is that it doesn't really offer much in terms of support that you can't get elsewhere. I think in general Salve Maker is a much better support job for a number of reasons:

1. Innate healing lore. Doubles the effectiveness of restoration abilities and items. This allows the Blessed Shield to be a viable multitarget healing solution for the entire game.
2. Deals better damage than a White Mage when not providing support. You have a number of options depending on your situation - Dark Breath, Dragon Breath, Shadowflare.
3. More variety. You can give yourself resistances, enemies weaknesses, add buffs/debuffs, the whole shebang.
4. Widen Area isn't as good as Esunaga since it costs BP instead of MP, but if you need to get rid of a party-wide status its sufficient.

The benefit of White Mage is that it's easier to use, even if it's more limited. Salve Maker requires items, which means money (since you can buy basically everything from Norende once you build it up), and compounding requires a reference or memorizing a lot of item combinations.

I found my Salve Maker w/ Spiritualism to be an unbeatable support character.

And I don't remember where all the summons are. I recall one was in the Wind Temple, one was on the mountain near the Sage, and one was on the end of that horseshoe shaped island.

Mothman91

What's a good job combo for Tiz?
I currently have 2x Pirate/Swordmaster
And 1 Spiritmaster/White Mage.

I definitely pull out the most dmg with the Pirate/Swordmaster combo but don't want to have 3 of them. Any suggestions? Currently cleaning out chapter 8.

Kind of a cheap way, but you could
have ninja 4x with valkyrie secondary abilities 4x, equip all with spears and give everyone secondary abilities for spear lore, speed up and physical attack up. MAKE SURE you give one person (your fastest character) the secondary ability of "Hasten World" (I think that's the time mage's level 14 ability). If everyone has a speed level of above 100, start the battle and have everyone brave once, use the ninja ability "Utsusemi", then use the valkyrie ability "High Jump."
Should take care of everyone pretty easily. When you face
the sage
further on, you could use this same method, but make sure
everyone has iceflame shields in their second hands
first.

Edit: And, of course,
push Y and pump that sucker up to 4x speeds
!

Thanks. I may have to use this for the bosses after this one, since it's getting pretty ridiculous right now lol. Before this point I could beat the multi-bosses while managing to steal everything they had (which actually isn't much good in this chapter), but screw it. I can do without the stolen loot if it means I don't get massacred.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's a good job combo for Tiz?
I currently have 2x Pirate/Swordmaster
And 1 Spiritmaster/White Mage.

I definitely pull out the most dmg with the Pirate/Swordmaster combo but don't want to have 3 of them. Any suggestions? Currently cleaning out chapter 8.

I'd recommend a Dark Knight with Sword Magic (Drain). That's probably the best damage dealing combo in the game if you set it up right.

Soriku

The final blue (that I can see at least) in chapter 8 is killing me.
Fuckin Praline with those BP buffs >:/

This is one fight where I wouldn't know who to kill first if I didn't just use Rage and hit everyone at once...though that may have made things more difficult :x

Anyway, you could kill
Praline
first because of her BP buffs, but
Kikyo
and
Barbarossa
can do a lot of damage.
Kikyo
is annoying due to her first strike move, which can screw up or healing or something, and Barbarossa has his Double Damage.
Qada
you should leave alone so he doesn't use his 9999 damage potion, though it's a little annoying when he applies potion.

Fuck that fight lol.

This is one fight where I wouldn't know who to kill first if I didn't just use Rage and hit everyone at once...though that may have made things more difficult :x

Anyway, you could kill
Praline
first because of her BP buffs, but
Kikyo
and
Barbarossa
can do a lot of damage.
Kikyo
is annoying due to her first strike move, which can screw up or healing or something, and Barbarossa has his Double Damage.
Qada
you should leave alone so he doesn't use his 9999 damage potion, though it's a little annoying when he applies potion.

Fuck that fight lol.

My strategy so far has been to have on Hasten World and target
Kikyo
by having a high HP Swordmaster Ringabel with Ninjutsu (therefore Kairai) take the damage. Problem is he still counters
Qada
a lot which gives him a chance to use that bullshit 9999 move.

Hmmm, I wonder if changing him to a Ninja and giving him Bushido would help.

Edit: Nope, that ruins his defense. Goddammit, this fight is bullshit.

L.O.R.D

Chapter 5
WTF..i have to do all things again ?
beating all the boss again ?
do i have to beat all the dragons again to open the DeRosso castle again ?

after beating holly and the monk again , what did they mean the boss now have less dark heart ?

and , after i activate all crystal again .. i will do the same things again in chapter 6 ?

Izayoi

Banned
Chapter 5
WTF..i have to do all things again ?
beating all the boss again ?
do i have to beat all the dragons again to open the DeRosso castle again ?

after beating holly and the monk again , what did they mean the boss now have less dark heart ?

and , after i activate all crystal again .. i will do the same things again in chapter 6 ?
Well...

The side boss battles are optional. If you already have the job crystal thing you don't need to repeat the fight.

It's pretty quick to just sweep the crystals again.

If you want to skip ahead a little in the story, and ruin some of the surprise, you can
break a crystal and see what happens.

RiggyRob

My strategy so far has been to have on Hasten World and target
Kikyo
by having a high HP Swordmaster Ringabel with Ninjutsu (therefore Kairai) take the damage. Problem is he still counters
Qada
a lot which gives him a chance to use that bullshit 9999 move.

Hmmm, I wonder if changing him to a Ninja and giving him Bushido would help.

Edit: Nope, that ruins his defense. Goddammit, this fight is bullshit.

Try using Rampart (Templar ability) or Utsusemi to block/evade the physical attacks from
Kikyo and Barbarossa. That way you can survive the Shippujinrai and the Double Damage attacks.

L.O.R.D

Well...

The side boss battles are optional. If you already have the job crystal thing you don't need to repeat the fight.

It's pretty quick to just sweep the crystals again.

If you want to skip ahead a little in the story, and ruin some of the surprise, you can
break a crystal and see what happens.

then , whats the point of battling again ?
when i fought the thief again , i showed him the papers from the merchant and was surprised
the dialog changed , if i bat the mayor ( time mage ) before the thief , i think i will not see the spell fencer with the thief
can i change the outcome for some characters this way ?

by meaning "break a crystal" you mean still press X over and over ?

Mephala

Can I get some tips for these Lv99 Norend monsters?
Turtle, White Fox and such?

The turtle's love attack is destroying me so hard. It rends one of my units useless and I can't find a way to dispel it. My offensive units can barely survive some of its attacks and my defensive/supports are usually busy keeping the others alive.

RiggyRob

Can I get some tips for these Lv99 Norend monsters?
Turtle, White Fox and such?

The turtle's love attack is destroying me so hard. It rends one of my units useless and I can't find a way to dispel it. My offensive units can barely survive some of its attacks and my defensive/supports are usually busy keeping the others alive.

The Love attack isn't the same as Charm, it can't be dispelled. It means that the character with someone's head above them will copy anything that person does, so if they're copying a healer, you'll get heal twice, and same with attackers. My advice as with all Nemeses - have a Spiritmaster/Templar use Rampart to block physical attacks and Adaption to absorb elemental attacks, and Rise from the Dead if something goes wrong.

Izayoi

Banned
then , whats the point of battling again ?
when i fought the thief again , i showed him the papers from the merchant and was surprised
the dialog changed , if i bat the mayor ( time mage ) before the thief , i think i will not see the spell fencer with the thief
can i change the outcome for some characters this way ?

by meaning "break a crystal" you mean still press X over and over ?
Well...

Fighting them again just gives you extra dialogue. It doesn't change anything in the story, maybe explains it a bit more.

And yes, that's how you break a crystal. I would recommend doing at least a chapter or two more before you do, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I would start with Drain and his regular % hp abilities?

Yeah, especially Rage since it keeps attacking until you run out of HP to burn, but with drain you keep getting HP back allowing you to attack until drain wears off. You can combo it with a Salve Maker using Dark-Weak and P.Atk/Dark boosting abilities so it should hit around max damage every time.

L.O.R.D

Well...

Fighting them again just gives you extra dialogue. It doesn't change anything in the story, maybe explains it a bit more.

And yes, that's how you break a crystal. I would recommend doing at least a chapter or two more before you do, though.

but,,i can do that in chapter 5 ..will that make the false ending ?
can i get all the ending without restart all the game ?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
but,,i can do that in chapter 5 ..will that make the false ending ?
can i get all the ending without restart all the game ?

You go back to the point before you start the "bad" ending once you finish it. So you don't have to start over.

On final chapter, doing side quest.

Any tips on the fucking caster group? They wipe me in 2-3 turns easily.

A couple beefed up Dark Knights with Drain+Rage could probably take out
Qada
in one turn before he can get off Fire Weak. Then have a Spiritmaster use Enigma and laugh your way to victory as you absorb all the enemy attacks.

You could also abuse tactics like Stillness or Hasten World High Jump if you are desperate.

vareon

Just got the true ending.

wtf happened? Was Tiz dead the whole time?? Someone explain to me.

My understanding was:

The player was the "celestial" in Tiz's body, who entered his body in order to play the game. When the game ends, we leave, leaving his body.

I know there are other, probably better theories in this.

I am loving this, so much better than the XIII monstrosities. My friend code is 055967765350 I added the last 15 in the list. And yeah, fuck the friend code system.

Yagharek

On final chapter, doing side quest.

Any tips on the fucking caster group? They wipe me in 2-3 turns easily.

I did this, after following all the alleged expert advice on other sites, all of which failed. I think my strategy could be called the 'brute force method'

3 Monks, with Natural Talent, nothing equipped, HP 20% and P Atk 10%.
One with the Freelancer Ability to check enemy HP. One with Dark Arts and one with Spiritism.

The 4th character was a white mage with salve maker ability.

Ended up setting up everyone with double HP via giant's draft, and absorb all/dispel in case.

The punched the shit out of the enemy with qigong wave 12 times in the opening go (Qada first). After that it was just a matter of repeating it.

Feep

Banned
Got to Chapter 6, got frustrated, checked an online walkthrough, and my jaw dropped.

I'm done. I've never seen a game so completely fall apart in the back half. The development team should be embarrassed.

Labadal

Got to Chapter 6, got frustrated, checked an online walkthrough, and my jaw dropped.

I'm done. I've never seen a game so completely fall apart in the back half. The development team should be embarrassed.

The optional side quest battles in chapter 7-8 are the best part of the game. You've come this far, don't give up on it now. Turn off random encounters and just ignore chapter 6 sub quests.

Alternatively, you can get to the final chapter by
breaking a crystal

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The optional side quest battles in chapter 7-8 are the best part of the game. You've come this far, don't give up on it now. Turn off random encounters and just ignore chapter 6 sub quests.

Alternatively, you can get to the final chapter by
breaking a crystal

That's not really the final chapter though since you don't fight the final boss or get to the end of the story.

But yeah, Chapter 5 and 6 are blah. Just do the quest for the last job and otherwise fly through them ASAP to get to Chapter 7 and especially 8 for those awesome sidequest battles.

Yagharek

Finished it with what I presume is the final chapter/true ending.

Wow. Such a great game all round, the equal of any great jrpg in my books (that I've played, which isnt heaps).

Two questions:

1. Character question
Tiz was dead or someone from another world (as per the bonus cinema with the revival chamber?

2. World of Luxendarc question
Now the game has put me back into the world before the crystals were awakened the final time. Is there any point to doing it again? Do I break them now?

RiggyRob

Finished it with what I presume is the final chapter/true ending.

Wow. Such a great game all round, the equal of any great jrpg in my books (that I've played, which isnt heaps).

Two questions:

1. Character question
Tiz was dead or someone from another world (as per the bonus cinema with the revival chamber?

2. World of Luxendarc question
Now the game has put me back into the world before the crystals were awakened the final time. Is there any point to doing it again? Do I break them now?

It's been suggested that you (the player) are the celestial being that took Tiz's body to save Luxendarc, and now that has been completed Tiz reverts to being in a coma for 200 years until the events of the bonus movie happen. Another theory is that it was in fact Airy's sister possessing Tiz's body to stop Airy from destroying Luxendarc, but I prefer the former theory. Either way, it's implied that Tiz is saved from the Great Chasm by someone (whether that's Airy's sister, the angel, the celestial being etc), so no, he's not dead.

If you didn't break a crystal the first time through and got the ending which teases Bravely Second, you can go back and destroy the crystal to get the false ending, but it isn't necessary. Once you get both endings, the post-game is to defeat the Nemeses that Square-Enix sends out, complete the Bestiary/Encyclopedia, get all combat bonuses, abilities and genomes etc, or do New Game+ (as if anyone would want to do that all again).

Yagharek

Thanks Riggy.

I agree with your first answer to part one, I thought that was very strongly hinted at.

Especially considering
the opening AR movie was asking you for help

I'm in chapter 2 i think, in Florem. I go to the dungeon where Victor and Victoria are, and the regular enemies trounce me a lot, do I need to grind more? Im around level 27-28 with every character, jobs around 5 and 6, and have the equipment that is found in the city. Am I really underleveled?

Meier

That bard/performer One More For You ability is pretty dang nice. Makes frequently using Rampart or the Thief 2 BP attack ability much, much easier.

Eterniti

I just got this game last night. The way that the game introduces everyone to the four characters is interesting, and I'm definitely getting a good nostalgia vibe from the visuals, music, and the gameplay, which I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Meier

I finally got a Japanese Mammon with a $25k Elixir and I killed her. :( I guess in my head I was looking for Ether. Went to sell something and saw this listed separately and then it dawned on me. :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you hadn't saved before you realized it you could have turned it off and back on, and it would be back.

Big Pharma + Vampire is better for grinding money anyway.

Top Bottom