• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

royox

via @markman23

54a7e514b23b11e3ac820eac9d98d481_8.jpg

smh

WHY?

RiggyRob

And the key to the Bonus Dungeon boss is to
kill both enemies on the same turn, since they will revive each other. The companion has lowish HP so it's not a big deal if you kill it and it gets revived. The boss has a ton of HP though, so you don't want to kill him and let the companion live to revive him. Using the Freelancer examine ability is extremely helpful in that fight so you can plan out how to finish it.

I went to the Bonus Dungeon
all the way to level 10 where you get Durandal, but I didn't meet any bosses
- am I missing something?

Also I'm catching up on getting all the Genomes and apparently
I need to fight Soil Eaters and Sand Worms - which levels of the Bonus Dungeon can they be found on?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I went to the Bonus Dungeon
all the way to level 10 where you get Durandal, but I didn't meet any bosses
- am I missing something?

Also I'm catching up on getting all the Genomes and apparently
I need to fight Soil Eaters and Sand Worms - which levels of the Bonus Dungeon can they be found on?
He's in a hidden passageway.

B5 and B2 respectively.

Okay, so I beat
Alternis Dim
and now I went
back in time and everything reset
? Do I really have to
do everything all over again
? This seems like some brilliant trolling on Square's part.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, so I beat
Alternis Dim
and now I went
back in time and everything reset
? Do I really have to
do everything all over again
? This seems like some brilliant trolling on Square's part.

Here we ago again...
Yup. Turn Enemy Encounters off, run through each dungeon and fight the boss. Skip all of the Side-quests (Blue !) in Chapters 5 & 6.

Start doing side-quests in Chapters 7 & 8. They consist of really really challenging and fun boss fights. Also be sure to steal from each boss in Chapter 7, they have really great equipment.

You can get the last class
Conjurer
in I believe, starting in Chapter 6.

Level up outside of Florem when fighting that mob of six enemies. Use Dark Nebula or some other "high damage to all enemies" type of Ability.

I think that's all the essential information! I hope that wasn't too much info.

I was going to finally pick this up after beating Zelda ALBW but decided to try the demo first and, shit this is boring. I'm about an hour in. Please tell me the rest of the game is more interesting than fetch quests and doing the same combat sequences over and over? I was really looking forward to this.

FluxWaveZ

I was going to finally pick this up after beating Zelda ALBW but decided to try the demo first and, shit this is boring. I'm about an hour in. Please tell me the rest of the game is more interesting than fetch quests and doing the same combat sequences over and over? I was really looking forward to this.

There are literally no fetch quests in the entire game (that I know of). It's a JRPG, though, so combat sequences are of course going to be prevalent. One can reduce the encounter rate in the final game as well as the difficulty of the game at any time, though.

Soriku

The full game actually has no fetch quests (the sidequests are meaningful and grant you new jobs) so don't worry about that.

As for the same combat sequences...well there are a lot of party combinations you can come up with, and if you play on Hard mode, you'll likely have to change up how you play (especially for bosses) now and then.

Plus if you don't care about fighting, you can turn off encounters whenever you want.

Soriku

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm just kind of surprised they did that instead of ending the game. It feels like prolonging the game unnecessarily.

If the end goal was just to
awaken all the four crystals
that'd be lame. At least in the context of BD's story. Who would the final boss be then? And what would be the point of Eternia doing their invasions, and the backstory behind DeRosso and Yulyana, etc.?

There had to be more.

The full game actually has no fetch quests (the sidequests are meaningful and grant you new jobs) so don't worry about that.

As for the same combat sequences...well there are a lot of party combinations you can come up with, and if you play on Hard mode, you'll likely have to change up how you play (especially for bosses) now and then.
Ok good to hear. I was just surprised by the first few quests in the demo - get 5 of these, 7 of these, etc. I was basically grinding on the same few enemies at the start of a demo which is not a good way to start a demo.

Ok good to hear. I was just surprised by the first few quests in the demo - get 5 of these, 7 of these, etc. I was basically grinding on the same few enemies at the start of a demo which is not a good way to start a demo.
More than anything, I think the demo was meant to show off the game world, battle system, art, and the AMAZING soundtrack.

I really enjoyed the demo, but now that you mention it, the content itself is pretty bleh compared to the real game.

Spoilers question for the Special AR Movie you unlock --
did anybody else look straight up and catch what looked like an aerial battle between a couple airships and what seemed to be Ba'al Goldie?

There are literally no fetch quests in the entire game (that I know of). It's a JRPG, though, so combat sequences are of course going to be prevalent. One can reduce the encounter rate in the final game as well as the difficulty of the game at any time, though.

Yes, there are. Frustratingly plenty for a game without a fast mode of transportation for the majority of it.

RiggyRob

Which fetch quests are there? I don't recall any while playing Bravely Default, and I did all of the side quests until chapter 6.

I assume by fetch quest they mean
travel all over the world to talk to a character for a few lines of dialogue.
. Even then I can only think of two instances of it -
the Performer sidequest and the Conjurer sidequest (which you have the Grandship for and ends up having interesting battles anyway).

FluxWaveZ

I assume by fetch quest they mean
travel all over the world to talk to a character for a few lines of dialogue.
. Even then I can only think of two instances of it -
the Performer sidequest and the Conjurer sidequest (which you have the Grandship for and ends up having interesting battles anyway).

If that's what they mean, those aren't fetch quests. The whole game would be a fetch quest by that definition.

mfiuza

I'm approaching the end of the game, and I have 1 big question, more like 1 big strange feeling (not regarded the ending itself, but something I felt while playing the last chapters). I'll spoiler tag it because it spoilers the ending chapters a lot:

Do any of you guys felt that Airy lying reveal was a bit too early? I mean, if I found out that the fairy is lying (and by found out I mean really find out, because its not possible Ringabel memories were that unreliable) I would never continue to awekening the cristals. When Ringabel told Tiz about his memories returning, and told everything about Airy, why they kept doing the same thing? The "questions" Ringabel asked Airy was not enough for me to buy that they decided to do everything without questioning even further. This specific part really annoyed me. Am I missing something or this really annoyed anyone else?

FluxWaveZ

The "questions" Ringabel asked Airy was not enough for me to buy that they decided to do everything without questioning even further. This specific part really annoyed me. Am I missing something or this really annoyed anyone else?

Just another problem with the writing.
Easier to convey a simple excuse that they had to do the same thing ad infinitum without questioning their actions so that the game could repeat itself without too much effort put into it than having the characters question what they were doing and have to significantly alter the events that happen in each cycle. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" and yet...

Thorgal

Is it just me or is the Merchant Job Overpowered considering for when you get it ?

Reason is that the later fight against Khamer and Khint was made pathetically easy ( not that that fight is particularly hard but still . ) do to constant abuse of Using takeover .
Each hit at level 23 did 1300 damage making me almost kill Khamer in one turn .

Khint pretty much went just as easy afterwards with a few specials and a few more turns throwing money at him which made his ending speech about money being the end of him quite amusing because money literally did kill him .
Granted so much use of it has drained a hole in the wallet but it was worth it .

So I went straight to the finale at the end of chapter 6 and I was sent back after the credits. Is there any significant difference from the Chapter 8 finale?

FluxWaveZ

So I went straight to the finale at the end of chapter 6 and I was sent back after the credits. Is there any significant difference from the Chapter 8 finale?

You haven't faced Airy's final form, you haven't faced the true enemy of the game, you haven't experienced some revelations concerning certain important story elements, you didn't get the game's actual epilogue and you didn't get the Bravely Second teaser.

Richardbro

Neo Member
I'm sorry if this has possibly been repeated a few dozen times in this thread but just reached Chapter 5 and
What in the fucking fuck is this ? They want me to repoeat every boss fight in the game? Up your's Squeenix, this is one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen in a game. Bloody hell, I don't even feel like playing anymore.

Edit: Now that I got that out of my system, is there any benefit to repeating the sidequests?

Thanks for the tips "Adam Prime" a few posts above.

Soriku

Spoilers question for the Special AR Movie you unlock --
did anybody else look straight up and catch what looked like an aerial battle between a couple airships and what seemed to be Ba'al Goldie?

In the Bravely Second tease? I must've missed that.

I'm approaching the end of the game, and I have 1 big question, more like 1 big strange feeling (not regarded the ending itself, but something I felt while playing the last chapters). I'll spoiler tag it because it spoilers the ending chapters a lot:

Do any of you guys felt that Airy lying reveal was a bit too early? I mean, if I found out that the fairy is lying (and by found out I mean really find out, because its not possible Ringabel memories were that unreliable) I would never continue to awekening the cristals. When Ringabel told Tiz about his memories returning, and told everything about Airy, why they kept doing the same thing? The "questions" Ringabel asked Airy was not enough for me to buy that they decided to do everything without questioning even further. This specific part really annoyed me. Am I missing something or this really annoyed anyone else?

If the party stopped there, they'd never be able to fight the true final boss. They'd just be delaying the inevitable.

It's not bad writing. The only thing that's bad writing is the party's surprise later on.

Is it just me or is the Merchant Job Overpowered considering for when you get it ?

Reason is that the later fight against Khamer and Khint was made pathetically easy ( not that that fight is particularly hard but still . ) do to constant abuse of Using takeover .
Each hit at level 23 did 1300 damage making me almost kill Khamer in one turn .

Khint pretty much went just as easy afterwards with a few specials and a few more turns throwing money at him which made his ending speech about money being the end of him quite amusing because money literally did kill him .
Granted so much use of it has drained a hole in the wallet but it was worth it .

Low Leverage is OP. Actually it's possibly necessary on Hard mode.

I'm sorry if this has possibly been repeated a few dozen times in this thread but just reached Chapter 5 and
What in the fucking fuck is this ? They want me to repoeat every boss fight in the game? Up your's Squeenix, this is one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen in a game. Bloody hell, I don't even feel like playing anymore.

Edit: Now that I got that out of my system, is there any benefit to repeating the sidequests?

Thanks for the tips "Adam Prime" a few posts above.

Skip the quests in 5 -> Do the Conjurer quest in 6 -> Do the quests in 7/8.

You'll miss a few things by noy doing the quests in 5/6, but they're minor. If you want to do the quests in those chapters though, at least do the ones in 6.

You haven't faced Airy's final form, you haven't faced the true enemy of the game, you haven't experienced some revelations concerning certain important story elements, you didn't get the game's actual epilogue and you didn't get the Bravely Second teaser.

Sounds like Youtube to me then. Or something I'd do in several months at earliest.
Fuck this game, lol

Ryne

Any way to cheese it up for the final chapter? I just want to finish it.

I'm having a lot of fun with using the Dark Knight though, but I would like to know a way to just break the game to get it over with

L.O.R.D

reached chapter 3 , just beat
the singer lady
and
rescued the kids at the cave , still have to find the last one
my party is all level 36 ..is that good ?
i have red mage , monk , knight and Valkyrie..is that good ? i am barely getting through the game,,
its my first real jrpg maybe that way i suc
any suggestion ?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Any way to cheese it up for the final chapter? I just want to finish it.

I'm having a lot of fun with using the Dark Knight though, but I would like to know a way to just break the game to get it over with
All Ninjas, All Jumping, 1 Hasten Worlding

RiggyRob

FINALLY finished the game at 109 hours, all Genomes (apart from the Nemesis-specific ones) collected, all items collected, all battle bonuses achieved, encyclopedia filled, and false and true endings achieved. I said goddamn.
And I didn't even bother reading Alternis's diary! I might go back to it later though

True ending spoiler:
Yeah, I didn't get why Tiz had to die/whatever happened to him or where the hell the celestial being stuff at the end came from, but I'm cool with it setting the scene for Bravely Second. Also, the special movie is legitimately the best use of the 3D, gyro and AR for the 3DS bar none.

Jintor

Holy shit. Chapter 8's sidequest is no joke. Probably the most fun I've had battling so far.
Braev and co at the top of the tower is INSANE. After Victor sets everyone up Tick-Tock just pounds us with meteors, meteors and meteors!

duckroll

Still on ch8, didn't get to play much lately. Today I tried out two different Nemesis battles - Lucifer and Ba'al Turtle Dove. Got wiped pretty badly on both, but I think I have a valid strategy for Lucifer, gonna try again later. Really super fun. I wish there's a way to get more of the Nemesis fights I want for sure instead of relying on spotty internet passing. >_<

RiggyRob

Still on ch8, didn't get to play much lately. Today I tried out two different Nemesis battles - Lucifer and Ba'al Turtle Dove. Got wiped pretty badly on both, but I think I have a valid strategy for Lucifer, gonna try again later. Really super fun. I wish there's a way to get more of the Nemesis fights I want for sure instead of relying on spotty internet passing. >_<

You can get friends to send them to you, can't you?

duckroll

Ooooh. I beat Lucifer. Suck it! That was really fun fight.

You can get friends to send them to you, can't you?

But you need to have the Nemesis before you can send it. If you defeat one, it goes away. I just wish that such fun boss fights weren't a part of some online social system and were in the game itself. Some day when the servers are all dead, there'll be no way to fight these bosses again. :/

Hi guys, this will sound cheap, but does anyone have some really powerful friend summons that they have made, so that I can finally make it through the last part of the game, please?

I've had the game on hold for months now, and my severe lack of time is stopping me from finishing this. I know it's cheap, but I just wanna get it done now.

I do have one or two strong ones that break the 9999 barrier, but I used them last night and didn't realise they were a one-use kind of thing until the sender updates his game again :/

If I could get a few people to trade friend codes with to receive some super strong summons, I would be so grateful, and I can finally put this game to bed :)

My FC: 4253-3674-1282

Many thank yous!

Jintor

Fuckin- shit-ass - fuckin' asshole defaultin' "Hoho suddenly you're vulnerable to every element! Haha GIGA FLARE"

piece of fucking shit

should've saved some SP drinks or something

Jintor

whelp i'm done, powered through the last chapter at lvl 85 abusing the shit out of BP Recovery, Swordmaster/Pirates, high speed thieves and Compounding. Completely meh ending. That bravely second trailer though.

True ending spoiler:
Yeah, I didn't get why Tiz had to die/whatever happened to him or where the hell the celestial being stuff at the end came from, but I'm cool with it setting the scene for Bravely Second. Also, the special movie is legitimately the best use of the 3D, gyro and AR for the 3DS bar none.

At the beginning of the game, a Fairy pops on the screen (who isn't Airy btw, she's her sister; same fairy that comes in at the ending) talking to you. This is the celestial being that basically becomes Tiz's life force. He should have died when the holy pillar opened up and caused the hole in the ground (or at the very least, stayed in the coma he was in) at the very beginning of the game. But the fairy saved him and let him go on his quest. At the end of the game, her goal was complete (to stop her sister - Airy - from destroying the worlds), so Tiz let her go (not sure how he does this exactly), and then falls into a coma (like he would have been if not for her in the first place).

That was my understanding of the events, anyways.

royox

At the beginning of the game, a Fairy pops on the screen (who isn't Airy btw, she's her sister; same fairy that comes in at the ending) talking to you. This is the celestial being that basically becomes Tiz's life force. He should have died when the holy pillar opened up and caused the hole in the ground (or at the very least, stayed in the coma he was in) at the very beginning of the game. But the fairy saved him and let him go on his quest. At the end of the game, her goal was complete (to stop her sister - Airy - from destroying the worlds), so Tiz let her go (not sure how he does this exactly), and then falls into a coma (like he would have been if not for her in the first place).

That was my understanding of the events, anyways.

Wrong.
The player is the celestial being using Tiz's body. You can even see your damn face over the clouds while fighting Ouroboros

RiggyRob

Wrong.
The player is the celestial being using Tiz's body. You can even see your damn face over the clouds while fighting Ouroboros

That makes more sense to me.
At first I was expecting the celestial being to be Agnes because of her resemblance to the angel, but thinking about it now your explanation pretty much covers it. Although I didn't realise that the fairy at the start of the game is Airy's sister, not Airy herself.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
In the Bravely Second tease? I must've missed that.

Low Leverage is OP. Actually it's possibly necessary on Hard mode.

I never used it. I used Stillness on Hard mode. That was OP. Have three of your characters attack first (with high speed) and have your last character use Stillness.

I beat the entire "Final Chapter" including the last sidequest boss
all four asteriks
without ever taking damage using this method.

Soriku

But you need to have the Nemesis before you can send it. If you defeat one, it goes away. I just wish that such fun boss fights weren't a part of some online social system and were in the game itself. Some day when the servers are all dead, there'll be no way to fight these bosses again. :/

You can always just protect the Nemeses you like (if you get them again). I think the capacity is 8. Then restart the game to bring them back if you beat them.

I never used it. I used Stillness on Hard mode. That was OP. Have three of your characters attack first (with high speed) and have your last character use Stillness.

I beat the entire "Final Chapter" including the last sidequest boss
all four asteriks
without ever taking damage using this method.

Sometimes some bosses would still move faster than my characters, and I would forgot to reapply Haste or something, so Low Leverage can be a lifesaver.

Not to mention it decreases the cost for skills like Stillness too. Instead of taking up 3 BP, it only takes up 2. It also makes it possible to pull off 4x Rage in one turn.

Top Bottom