• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

The thing in the ending that blew my mind was
when the alternate earths were being destroyed by Airy, it would say ____'s world. I had an oh shit moment and realized that those were the street pass worlds. That blew my mind because it made me realize that the different people playing the game were all basically the alternate earths that we linked together, which fits the street pass function into the story because all the worlds are becoming connected. Probably the only use of street pass I can think of that can perfectly fit it into the story

And then there's the teaser for Bravely Second.... My god I'm excited!!

It's funny when...
one of your friend's world is blown up, but they're still playing. Funny paradox that...

Also, did you notice the other mind-blowing thing?
Your face in the final battle background.

pirates and swordmasters are great buddies at lvl 14 ;)

This is one of those games that i'd highly encourage you to go to gamefaqs or w/e and look at a job guide that has all the different skills and abilities listed so you can plan ahead.

It's funny when...
one of your friend's world is blown up, but they're still playing. Funny paradox that...

Also, did you notice the other mind-blowing thing?
Your face in the final battle background.

sigh, never noticed. i guess i like many played the finale in a dark room.... is there a video somewhere that shows this happening?

Yeah, hitting 9999 consistently for at least one or two characters is something you will want to work on throughout chapter 5 and 6, especially since it has all the bosses as optional repeat battles for you to practice on. But if you're not hitting 9999 at all with any character by chapter 5, something is wrong.

Changing jobs is definitely a good thing, and you should not be put off by a job being weaker when you first change to it. Put in the effort to level a job and you'll see the diffrence.

Pirate is a really good raw damage dealer, so it's definitely a mistake if you passed on it so quickly. Keep in mind that looking at normal attacks is not the best way to gauge how much damage you can deal with a given class.

Let's use the pirate as an example. If you have the two-handed ability equipped, a good axe and some form of strength increasing accessory will put you around the top tier of raw attack power. You can boost it further with abilities like P.Attack 20% or P.Attack 30%. Now, in a battle, default until the character has 3 BP. Now brave 4 times, and use the attack which lowers enemy defense, and then use Double Damage three times.

In this scenario, at the point of the game you are at, with the equipment and levels you should be able to attain at this point, it should not be hard at all for the first attack to do 2-3k of damage, and the subsequent 3 attacks to deal 6-8k each. If any of those 3 attacks are criticals, that should hit 9999.

That's just one example, and it doesn't make use of much job synergy other than two-handed which you get pretty early as a Knight. I'm using this example as opposed to the Valkyrie jump because the jump is a singular attack which cannot be spammed in the same way. So this example can give a better idea of how a single character can debuff an enemy while attacking to deal a lot of damage. It's not the best strategy either, but it's simple enough.

Thanks for the tips. Two-handed I already use for all attackers and I have pirate at lvl 9 anyway so I can quickly go back to it (or use it secondary). I've given Edea the job
of her father
recently and during some grinding in the northern area I got some 5k's for the first time through the auto-critical attack. So I guess I'm getting there, I might combine this with the pirate def decreaser and a critical-strengthening ability, then see where it goes.

I also still need two jobs iirc, so I hope they also bring something to the table I can work with currently.

edit: The double damage strategy worked for a 9999 on a random mob, though I'm still struggling to come up with better strategies at the current bosses (well, actually I managed most Ch5 bosses fine, but one or two are super annoying)

TheBear

Also, I can't seem to pick any support abilities?
And how do I select a secondary job? For reference I've just reached the Villa

fahad

Neo Member
so I just awakened the fire crystal !!! ... how far I'm from the end ?
I'm getting tired here + I really want to play FFX as soon as possible

Jintor

okay what the fuck is this. Chapter 6.

Ranger/Summoner/Valkyrie all at once. I can endure for a while but if I'm unlucky enough for them to each drop their AOE all within a turn or two (multiburst/crescent moon/summon) I drop like a rock instantly. What the fuck is this? I can't recover from shit. What's a good setup?

Soriku

Also, I can't seem to pick any support abilities?
And how do I select a secondary job? For reference I've just reached the Villa

Go to Abilities and pick the first or second option.

so I just awakened the fire crystal !!! ... how far I'm from the end ?
I'm getting tired here + I really want to play FFX as soon as possible

lol. You have a long way to go...

Ranger/Summoner/Valkyrie all at once. I can endure for a while but if I'm unlucky enough for them to each drop their AOE all within a turn or two (multiburst/crescent moon/summon) I drop like a rock instantly. What the fuck is this? I can't recover from shit. What's a good setup?

My setup:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103430321&postcount=6687

Jintor

jesus. They dropped a normal attack/targeting/crescent moon combo and completely shanked tiz before I could even get a shot off. wttttttttttfffffffffffffffffffffff

am i going to have to blow my sp drinks on this? christ

Yagharek

So - what is the best game-breaking party set up people have found so far? Looking for a really good one.

I ran around in chapter 5 farming XP with the following:

Ringabel as a
dark knight spamming dark nebula/attack/attack/dark nebula
Tiz/Edea/Agnes with
auto-resurrecting other dead members upon death

That got everyone to Lv99, every job to Lv14, and now Ive got enough cash to get 99 of every item I need.

Game breaking is simple

Everyone -
Thief or Ninja(for the speed)

One person equips -
Hasten World(time mage ability lvl 14 ability)

Everyone -
Second job link is Valkyrie

Everyone -
Use High Jump, then auto

Rinse and repeat!

Or another one

Two People -
Thiefs, equip the axe with negative accuracy, abilities should be two handed, axe lore and hawkeye

Other Two -
Arcanist, ability link Blackmage, spam lvl 6(or whatever) black magic). Equip Two magic rods, dont click auto or equip shields, bonus magic damage is better cause kill quicker

With this team everything died first turn

Man, I love this game. It release was unfortunate though, coming out shortly before Tales of Symphonia Chronicles' release and now FFX|X-2R. I need to get more time into this game. I love it so much!

Playing through again on
New Game + just to enjoy destroying bosses and reliving some of the plot.

Anyhow, I have that nemesis that is a
giant goldfish thing
.. how do I beat it? o_O My characters are all lvl99.

RiggyRob

So - what is the best game-breaking party set up people have found so far? Looking for a really good one.

I feel like mine's a pretty sweet setup, should be able to handle any bosses/Nemeses if I play it right:

Tiz:
Spiritmaster/Templar with BP Recovery, used for Stillness/Rampart and Adaptation x4.
Agnes:
White Mage/Black Mage with Group Cast All and BP Recovery, used for BP generating.
Ringabel:
Thief/Freelancer with BP Recovery and Rob Blind, used for Mug x4 and Godspeed Strike then Mimic x3
Edea:
Pirate/Swordmaster with BP Recovery and Pierce Default, used for Free Lunch then Amped Strike x3.

I haven't worried about getting the optimal setup in terms of gear or support abilities just yet since I'm on Chapter 8 - I've also kept Genome Drain on everyone until I get all of the Vampire abiliities.

Shiina

Playing through again on
New Game + just to enjoy destroying bosses and reliving some of the plot.

Anyhow, I have that nemesis that is a
giant goldfish thing
.. how do I beat it? o_O My characters are all lvl99.

Dark Knights, Giant's Draft, Stillness, the usual. It has a lot of HP but its attacks aren't that threatening.

Thorgal

why ?
I have 3 character as a black mage + 1 white mage , my hit damage between 1000 - 2000 , and I spent about 30 hours in it , and now at LV 45 .
I'm I doing something wrong ?

He was saying that if you already felt tired after only getting to The fire crystal you would have trouble to finish the game Since you are still a long way away from the end .

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Here is my Dark Nebula/Stillness loop. Three classes will do it: Ninja/Spiritmaster , Ninja/Dark Knight, Dark Knight/Spiritmaster, Spiritmaster/Time Mage

Essential (but not necessary) equipment: 2 Hermes Sandals and 1 Hermes Shoes and 2 Dark Shields.

This setup revolves around the Dark Nebula, Stillness, and Hasten World abilities. I beat almost every boss in the final chapter "Unscathed" (never took damage).
zlCfzRpPGasGJzX65Q

1st character: Ninja with Spiritmaster

EQUIP: Hermes Shoes and Dark Shield
ABILITIES: Speed +10%, +20%, Equip Shield. (Equip a Dark Shield to become immune to Dark magic, or cast Adaption on self every round to absorb Dark)

BATTLE: This character should/will always act first in battle. Have them cast Adaptation (Absorb all elements) to the 2nd and 3rd characters and / Fairy Ward (Immune to all statuses for all). This character will never attack. This character's only role is to keep up Fairy Ward and Adaptation to the 2nd and 3rd characters. If you don't have the Dark Shields then just cast Adaptation on every character who doesn't to keep them alive during the Dark Nebulas.

2nd character: Ninja with Dark Knight

EQUIP: Hermes Sandals.
ABILITIES: Speed 10%, 20%, Two Handed, Gloom

BATTLE: This character must have high speed but have less than the first character/ninja. You want them to act second in every battle, because the first character needs to cast Adaptation on them to absorb Dark. This character will Brave four times and cast Adaption every time. It should hit 9999 damage to all enemies and allies, healing yourself every time so you don't lose HP when using Dark Nebula.

3rd character: Dark Knight with Spiritmaster

EQUIP: Hermes Sandals

BATTLE: Depending on the speed of your 4th character and the enemies you are fighting this person's battle strategy may change. Because the two first characters are Ninjas they should be faster than this Dark Knight, but your Dark Knight should still be very fast (at least faster than every enemy). He has two options depending on the speed of the enemies:

1: Brave x3 and cast Dark Nebula, Dark Nebula, then Stillness.
OR
Brave x4 and cast Dark Nebula

4th character: Spiritmaster with White or Time Magic

EQUIP: Dark Shield
ABILITIES: Hasten World (Time Magic Ability) and Speed 10%

BATTLE: Depending on this character's speed they should act fourth in every fight. Sometimes if a boss has good agility they will act fifth, meaning the battle will go; 1st Ninja, 2nd Ninja, 3rd Dark Knight, 4th BOSS/ENEMY, 5th Spiritmaster.

If the boss is acting faster than your Spiritmaster then you need to be sure that the Dark Knight character is the one casting Stillness. If your Spiritmaster is faster than all the enemies then they should be casting Stillness. Have them support with Time or White magic or restore MP to the first Ninja to keep up their MP for casting Adaption and/or Fairy Ward.

... During Stillness the bosses/enemies will pound on you but never be effective. As long as your first character casts the Fairy Ward you'll never get with status effects. Just Brave during the turns on Stillness and repeat the loop. You'll always be able to do the Dark Damage with Dark Nebula which will heal the characters using it, and Stillness will keep every Unscathed.

mstevens

Here is my Dark Nebula/Stillness loop. Three classes will do it: Ninja/Spiritmaster , Ninja/Dark Knight, Dark Knight/Spiritmaster, Spiritmaster/Time Mage

Essential (but not necessary) equipment: 2 Hermes Sandals and 1 Hermes Shoes and 2 Dark Shields.

This setup revolves around the Dark Nebula, Stillness, and Hasten World abilities. I beat almost every boss in the final chapter "Unscathed" (never took damage).
zlCfzRpPGasGJzX65Q

1st character: Ninja with Spiritmaster

EQUIP: Hermes Shoes and Dark Shield
ABILITIES: Speed +10%, +20%, Equip Shield. (Equip a Dark Shield to become immune to Dark magic, or cast Adaption on self every round to absorb Dark)

BATTLE: This character should/will always act first in battle. Have them cast Adaptation (Absorb all elements) to the 2nd and 3rd characters and / Fairy Ward (Immune to all statuses for all). This character will never attack. This character's only role is to keep up Fairy Ward and Adaptation to the 2nd and 3rd characters. If you don't have the Dark Shields then just cast Adaptation on every character who doesn't to keep them alive during the Dark Nebulas.

2nd character: Ninja with Dark Knight

EQUIP: Hermes Sandals.

BATTLE: This character must have high speed but have less than the first character/ninja. You want them to act second in every battle, because the first character needs to cast Adaptation on them to absorb Dark. This character will Brave four times and cast Adaption every time. It should hit 9999 damage to all enemies and allies, healing yourself every time so you don't lose HP when using Dark Nebula.

3rd character: Dark Knight with Spiritmaster

EQUIP: Hermes Sandals

BATTLE: Depending on the speed of your 4th character and the enemies you are fighting this person's battle strategy may change. Because the two first characters are Ninjas they should be faster than this Dark Knight, but your Dark Knight should still be very fast (at least faster than every enemy). He has two options depending on the speed of the enemies:

1: Brave x3 and cast Dark Nebula, Dark Nebula, then Stillness.
OR
Brave x4 and cast Dark Nebula

4th character: Spiritmaster with White or Time Magic

EQUIP: Dark Shield
ABILITIES: Hasten World (Time Magic Ability) and Speed 10%

BATTLE: Depending on this character's speed they should act fourth in every fight. Sometimes if a boss has good agility they will act fifth, meaning the battle will go; 1st Ninja, 2nd Ninja, 3rd Dark Knight, 4th BOSS/ENEMY, 5th Spiritmaster.

If the boss is acting faster than your Spiritmaster then you need to be sure that the Dark Knight character is the one casting Stillness. If your Spiritmaster is faster than all the enemies then they should be casting Stillness. Have them support with Time or White magic or restore MP to the first Ninja to keep up their MP for casting Adaption and/or Fairy Ward.

... During Stillness the bosses/enemies will pound on you but never be effective. As long as your first character casts the Fairy Ward you'll never get with status effects. Just Brave during the turns on Stillness and repeat the loop. You'll always be able to do the Dark Damage with Dark Nebula which will heal the characters using it, and Stillness will keep every Unscathed.

Thank you! I don't have any of those items yet, are they easily purchasable? Also.. I haven't used many of those skills, is there a risk of running low on MP with this build?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure Dark Nebula setups are worth it, requires too much effort going into protecting your own party. Black Blade + Dark Weak from Salve Maker is just as effective if not more so since it requires less effort to keep it going, thus more potential damage output from the non-Dark Knight party members (or, more Dark Knights dealing damage).

Looking back, I think I'd just go with Rage setups though.

Falk

that puzzling face

Hahahahahaha, I just fell out of my chair because spoiler really wasn't what I was expecting, after that setup.

Jintor

Hahahahahaha, I just fell out of my chair because spoiler really wasn't what I was expecting, after that setup.

i'm kinda resigned to that part of the game already, lol.

If i want to go to the secret chapter, do I have to do that before a certain point or will I head there in the course of normally playing the game or...?

L.O.R.D

question about street pass and worker
the other 3DS must run the game and put the 3ds on sleep mode to be able to activate the street pass for the game ?
or i only need the other 3DS to be on sleep mode without the game ?

about the friend code and spot pass
if i added a person , must he also have the game ? or anyone ?
i have 100 friends , but only got 10 worker

the other 3DS must run the game and put the 3ds on sleep mode to be able to activate the street pass for the game ?

The game doesn't need to be running to get streetpass, I think it's the same for any game.

Your friends have to have the game and have connected to the internet too. You can hit "Add Friends" on the Save menu to check if any friends have gotten the game.

Just to add, adding friends doesn't give you village workers. You need to use Update Data at most once a day to get them from up to 5 random guests (or StreetPass).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think I'm about done with this game. I may go kill the
Merchant
before I call it quits. Finally got all the abilities. If anyone wants my Ablink it would be useful. Friend Code: 3711-7239-3957

Please PM me your code if you add me. Hope it's helpful!

zlCfzRqbdf0JKE5JfG

Jintor

sooooooooooooooooooooo chapter seven is no joke. ominas crowe is kicking my ass.
(his man party after you kick his ass is even worse)

Imma go get lvl 14 black mage and see if the multi-cast helps any

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fighting the optional battles in chapter 8 now, characters are all at l99 with a good chunk of jobs mastered. The battle where you fight
Praline, Qada, Barbarosa, Kikyo, and Kamiizumi
was what got me for a while...

I've got 2 Pirates with the swordmaster's "Free Lunch" (so I spam quadruple damage a lot), a white mage that I constantly heal, and a Valkyrie where I constantly jump. This tactic has held me well.

I hear the bonus dungeon boss is impossible... I'll make one attempt and probably finish this off today...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fighting the optional battles in chapter 8 now, characters are all at l99 with a good chunk of jobs mastered. The battle where you fight
Praline, Qada, Barbarosa, Kikyo, and Kamiizumi
was what got me for a while...

I've got 2 Pirates with the swordmaster's "Free Lunch" (so I spam quadruple damage a lot), a white mage that I constantly heal, and a Valkyrie where I constantly jump. This tactic has held me well.

I hear the bonus dungeon boss is impossible... I'll make one attempt and probably finish this off today...

White Mage isn't all that useful aside from Esunaga. Salve-Maker with a Blessed Shield is better than a White Mage for pretty much everything other than group status restoring, and is a much better all-around support job.

And the key to the Bonus Dungeon boss is to
kill both enemies on the same turn, since they will revive each other. The companion has lowish HP so it's not a big deal if you kill it and it gets revived. The boss has a ton of HP though, so you don't want to kill him and let the companion live to revive him. Using the Freelancer examine ability is extremely helpful in that fight so you can plan out how to finish it.

Top Bottom