• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Proven

I wasted too much JP testing out jobs on characters, and now I have to grind in front of the (Chapter 2 sidequest)
Summoner
boss to get some skills swapped around. Finally hit my first wall that wasn't overcome with a few retries. It only took 10 hours of play. Fun game.

Delio

So im on chapter 1 and just kinda grinding money. Is there any classes i should be sticking to right now? Im running with Thief,Black Mage,Monk and Knight.

Totakeke

Already have since the start man! Hard is the way to go! With 100% encounter rate on *it feels soo good*

+100% encounter rate actually makes it easier once you're past the initial bump because your characters and jobs are leveled up.

Aside from the very start, Hard is very easy to break anyway.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Need help. End of Chapter 1?

Can't beat Orthros in 20 plus tries, not sure if my team is fundamentally flawed and I have go and regrind for better gear or better jobs.

Knight
White Mage
Black Mage
Thief

Any time I come out of default to heal, my mages get mangled by blasts of blazzard and hellfire for like 350dmg each, sometimes crit for over 800. Tried rejuvenation, not enough. Tried more healing, not enough. The damage is just relentless, and I can't deal. I think I'm actually overleveled, but it's still destroying me.

Tried more physical classes, but not enough healing juice to keep up.

I'm playing on hard :)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I love the rush to try and keep the Special music going, especially when you only have one member able to use it relyingly in a given battle with no friend summons left.

Gaz_RB

Need help. End of Chapter 1?

Can't beat Orthros in 20 plus tries, not sure if my team is fundamentally flawed and I have go and regrind for better gear or better jobs.

Knight
White Mage
Black Mage
Thief

Any time I come out of default to heal, my mages get mangled by blasts of blazzard and hellfire for like 350dmg each, sometimes crit for over 800. Tried rejuvenation, not enough. Tried more healing, not enough. The damage is just relentless, and I can't deal. I think I'm actually overleveled, but it's still destroying me.

Tried more physical classes, but not enough healing juice to keep up.

I'm playing on hard :)

The way I did it was to have your same line up of classes, except my white mage had Angelic Ward equipped as her ability. Then what I did was have everyone default for the first two turns, then when they're health is low, have your WM cast heal all twice. Orthros' speed is fairly low, so you can usually get the cures in time. After that, have your WM default while everyone all out Braves with their stored up BP (black mage casts whatever is hits the weak point for each head, thief is unloading with angel bow, and knight, if you have it, is also going all out with an angel bow. but if you don't have two, it should be alright as long as you are unloading with the thief). Focus on one head at a time. Rinse and repeat. Once you take out one head, you're home free.

Defaulting and Braving correctly is very important. Basically you'll be defaulting almost every turn.

Also, try to have Damage Dispersion on your weaker black mage. I also equipped Iron Bangles on everyone and tried to get health and Magic Defense up as high as possible. Magic Defense is important.

TLDR: don't take this battle tit for tat. He will demolish you. Default most the time except for when you need to heal. Damage dispersion/angel ward is useful, as well as higher hp equips/abilites for the thief and knight. (This is coming from someone who spent all day today on Orthros and had a lot of difficulty at lvl 19)

Hope that helps! There might be a better way to do it :/

Baliis

But yeah, its pretty jarring/hilarious seeing that costume in cut scenes, especially when something serious is happening

Ugh, I just got to the beginning of Chapter 4 where you
meet Edea's mom
, and I can't take it seriously now because of the costume.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Already have since the start man! Hard is the way to go! With 100% encounter rate on *it feels soo good*
Hah, I've just been doing regular rate/0% if I need to go somewhere fast. Your must be a bit stronger than mine as a result.

I agree with this, I feel like hard has been a great choice. I haven't done any grinding and the only real issue I had was the end boss of Chapter 2 (which was fucking nuts). I read a lot of posts beforehand about hard being overly hard but like most things difficulty related, it was overblown.
Oh boy, I'm closing in on the end of Ch2. Very excited.

Link Man

Banned
So I just got the merchant class. It said something about going to the mill at 00:30. It's there a way to proceed in this quest before visiting the wind crystal?

Is Speed a good support ability? I got Speed +20% recently, but I'm not sure what it actually does. I mean, all the characters get their turns at the same time. Does it just help that character attack first in the order after inputting all your commands?

So I just got the
merchant
class. It said something about going to the mill at 00:30. It's there a way to proceed in this quest before visiting the wind crystal?

Nah, you have to get the (chapter 1)
wind crystal back in working order first.

georly

Ok, I just tested it again w/ a friend, got him to download the demo and streetpass and it worked fine. Everything I get over streetpass relay, I get *NO* bravely default streetpasses even though they have 'bravely default' in mii plaza.

Proven

Is Speed a good support ability? I got Speed +20% recently, but I'm not sure what it actually does. I mean, all the characters get their turns at the same time. Does it just help that character attack first in the order after inputting all your commands?

From what I gather Speed decides action order, as in which party member goes before others and if you get to do your attack before the enemy acts. Speed becomes a lot more useful in Chapter 2.

Exentryk

I upgraded the shop but How do I get the angle bow?

Buy it from the adventurer (red guy where you save).

Speed is the most important attribute if you're looking to break the game. It affects who goes first.

From what I gather Speed decides action order, as in which party member goes before others and if you get to do your attack before the enemy acts. Speed becomes a lot more useful in Chapter 2.

Ah, I gotcha. Hmm. I mean, right now it's either Speed +20% or HP+10% and Damage Dispersion. Damage Dispersion is incredibly useful, but I probably won't use it except for hard bosses. I keep it on Agnes and Edea though because they tend to die faster than the other characters (maybe because I have them as mages most of the time).

Speed is the most important attribute if you're looking to break the game. It affects who goes first.

Guess I'll keep it equipped then. xD

I upgraded the shop but How do I get the angle bow?

As someone else said, all your village shops go through the Adventurer trader person.

---

I just unlocked (Chapter 1 jobs)
Time Mage and Spell Fencer!
Love unlocking new jobs. :) How useful are they?

Soul Beat

So, I see a blue exclamation point pointing me towards Florem, but once I get there nothing happens and I can't find another blue exclamation point within the city. What is it that I have to do?

By the way, I think it's probably for the
Red Mage
job. But I'm unsure.

Baliis

So, I see a blue exclamation point pointing me towards Florem, but once I get there nothing happens and I can't find another blue exclamation point within the city. What is it that I have to do?

By the way, I think it's probably for the
Red Mage
job. But I'm unsure.

Did you try looking at night?

Just Started Ch.1 and I got the touch! I got the Powa!
nTrPNIfh.jpg

Gaz_RB

I just unlocked (Chapter 1 jobs)
Time Mage and Spell Fencer!
Love unlocking new jobs. :) How useful are they?

I'm not too far past you into Chapter 2, but I've not yet found a good use for either of them. I think they may become useful for some strats later though.

They look cool though! :D

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
FFFFUUUUUU...
Also just got a smashed copy from Amazon. Just demanded a refund. They were stupid to package it like they did. Lots of pissed off customers now. This is the first time Amazon's screwed me, out of hundreds of purchases, so I'll keep buying, but still.

Totakeke

I'm not too far past you into Chapter 2, but I've not yet found a good use for either of them. I think they may become useful for some strats later though.

Spell fencer is the best way to regain MP early on plus applying elements to physical attacks makes you less dependent on black mages. Time mage is so so early on but slow and haste can be pretty useful in battles and on a physical attacker.

Baliis

I find
spell fencer
can be really good.
Buffing your weapon with the appropriate magic makes you hit crazy hard, I was doing 6-7k every hit to the fire crystal boss in chapter 3 with every one of my people and killed him in one round of attacks

Gaz_RB

Spell fencer is the best way to regain MP early on plus applying elements to physical attacks makes you less dependent on black mages. Time mage is so so early on but slow and haste can be pretty useful in battles and on a physical attacker.

I find
spell fencer
can be really good.
Buffing your weapon with the appropriate magic makes you hit crazy hard, I was doing 6-7k every hit to the fire crystal boss in chapter 3 with every one of my people and killed him in one round of attacks

Interesting. Looking forward to learning the job's nuances.

Anustart

Just popping in to say I picked this up two days ago and I'm loving it a ton more than I did the demo, and boy did I like the demo!

One thing that really sticks out for me is the voice acting. I really like it and think the actors did a freaking fantastic job with this. Beginning spoiler for Caldisla,
Owen just died, and his poor dad is really pulling on my heart strings :(

Jumping back in! See ya guys later!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I was level 61 when I got to the boss. I just turned off encounters for the dungeon cause
I've been playing for several hours today and just wanted the god damn asterisk.
Ah, seems just like me right now.
This story thing is great though.

They look cool though! :D

I find
spell fencer
can be really good.

Thanks for the info everyone. I really love how cool the weapon attacks look from the
Spell Fencer.
Right now, I'm leveling them both up in my party (
2x Time Mage, 2x Spell Fencer
). I usually try to get every class to at least 4 or 5 with everyone before going back to their "main" class that I have for everyone.

Korosenai

I just found out i can turn off exp and jp while grinding for money.... Thats actually really awesome. Now i can grind for money to buy items and weapons without coming out of it super over leveled.

Top Bottom