• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Breaking Bad" - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Man i only managed to watch the latest today, i was on the same boat as your folks. Anyway i would like to say it was another good episode with many awesome little moments. Hopefully the next episode doesn't take as long to be released on the usual channels.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
AMAZING EPISODE

Best show on TV by miles.

I loved the scene switches between Skylar and Walt - he was desperately trying to keep their house from collapsing while she was actively trying to wreck their home.

IMO the season seems to have plateaued for the moment, this was one of the tamest episodes of the series.

but that's not a bad thing by any means. it's kind of less nerve racking seeing walt and jesse not on the verge of oblivion for once

Fatalah

Cornballer said:
what's up with the hazmat suits when they're pulling the bodies?

I think we've been seeing this same scene in bits and pieces through several episodes.

That little basement crawl space is a great place to hide chemicals, guns, money...anything!

harSon

Banned
Walt's a complete badass
and horrible human being
, not only is he the smarts but has decided to become the muscle too.

good episode. we have to remember that there needs to be foundation episodes that aren't explosive but set the stage for the coming storm. not everything can be balls to the walls jaw on the floor stuff!

also walt
reclaiming his territory and presumably getting back into the biz is exactly what you would expect. he makes all this money doing something and tells himself it is for his treatment and his family when infact it is the thing that changed his life and made him feel alive.
poor walt :(

seat

I absolutely loved tonight's episode. I would even go as far to say it's one of the best the show's had to offer yet. The pacing was absolutely perfect and the script was much more subtle and complex than usual. This has been the first time where I felt the show didn't hit the audience over the head with Walt's intentions and his overall character. He's becoming conflicted and unpredictable, more human and less rational. This episode's subtlety and complexity reminded me of an episode of the Sopranos from the first or second season, and that's definitely a good thing. I look forward to seeing how this season finishes up.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Anyone notice that the dripping rusty water in front of Walt turned into Skylars coffee, then the sound of Walt using a Sawzall turned into Skylar hearing a vaccuum being used... the third time they did this - it was more subtle.

Skylar knocked over her pens to get the boss to come into her office before he left and the scene switched to a throwaway shot of Walt drilling a single screw into wood. I think this is meant to imply that she had sex with him. The direction and themes on this show are so good.

The beginning to every episode must be some kind of foreshadow. I just get a The Shield vibe from the writing of the show, and I have a baaaad feeling that the final episode will be a WTF and sad moment. This is my prediction, but something tells me that Skyler might die.

P.S. Walt is totally going to kick that guy's ass once he finds out Skyler and her boss are doing the oinga-boinga.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Cornballer said:
- This show has the best pre-credit sequences - what's up with the hazmat suits when they're pulling the bodies?
I think that the show wants us to think that Walt ends up cooking at home for some reason and that theres an explosion, killing Jesse and him.

This obviously won't happen, it could have something to do with the new tankless water system for all we know - but part of the house definitely explodes, a car windshield is shattered and people die.

Mohonky

dave is ok said:
I think that the show wants us to think that Walt ends up cooking at home for some reason and that theres an explosion, killing Jesse and him.

This obviously won't happen, it could have something to do with the new tankless water system for all we know - but part of the house definitely explodes, a car windshield is shattered and people die.

I get the impression it has something to do with the other gangs wanting to eliminate him as foretold in a song earlier in the second season about pissing off the mexican gangs with his expansion.

Mohonky said:
I get the impression it has something to do with the other gangs wanting to eliminate him as foretold in a song earlier in the second season about pissing off the mexican gangs with his expansion.

That's what I was thinking too...

Mohonky

I absolutely love his character though, with his sort of epiphany at the end; that drug dealers or more specifically the manufacturers have no fucking idea what they are doing and a man of his talents could really supply a high quality product that he could rule the market with.

At the same time, this really makes him target number one for other gangs operating in nearby areas.

D4Danger said:
Walt is becoming very unpredictable.

Yeah, the writers are pushing him closer to the edge now. I get the feeling that they're going to drive a wedge between he and Jesse as Walt goes fully on his power trip. I'm hoping that's not the case as I love the two of them on screen together, but that's the vibe I get.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Mohonky said:
I read an article about the song saying that the original draft had Walt winning out in the end and the band made them change it - because in narcocorridos the cartel must always win :lol

So while that may very well be true, I don't expect to the show to switch to a Walt vs. the cartel plotline just yet.

One awesome thing that I just realized, however, is that Aaron Paul said in an interview that for the last three episodes of season two - the pace/tension of the show is unrelenting. Guess how many episodes are left? Three!

Vlad

FrenchMovieTheme said:
good episode. we have to remember that there needs to be foundation episodes that aren't explosive but set the stage for the coming storm. not everything can be balls to the walls jaw on the floor stuff!

also walt
reclaiming his territory and presumably getting back into the biz is exactly what you would expect. he makes all this money doing something and tells himself it is for his treatment and his family when infact it is the thing that changed his life and made him feel alive.
poor walt :(

The thing is, it's not really a matter of getting "back" into the business. Until they sell the 40 pounds of meth that they made last week, he's still involved. Even with the three dealers, that's going to take quite some time to sell off.

Also, they've mentioned over the course of the season that there's really nobody else selling crystal in that area at the moment, so Walt's got the market cornered, and is able to raise the price to ridiculous levels. If any competition shows up, even with a sub-par product, Walt might have to lower his price.

The beginning to every episode must be some kind of foreshadow. I just get a The Shield vibe from the writing of the show, and I have a baaaad feeling that the final episode will be a WTF and sad moment. This is my prediction, but something tells me that Skyler might die.

That would be a hell of a ballsy move by the show. Of course, the two "body bags" could be a massive red herring and they end up being dry cleaning bags or something like that.

Still, there really is that sense that there isn't going to be a happy end involved for most of these characters. This seems to be the kind of show that only gives the characters good moments so that they can come crashing down even harder. Walt's in remission? He spirals into a manic state, toggling wildly between anger and overenthused ("We've got rot!"). I get the feeling that something horrible's going to happen with the whole Jane/Jesse situation. Things are just going too well.

Great episode last night. Walt is really coming undone and unpredictable.

I really like how this show has the 30 second-1 minute openings showing little bits while the bigger picture slowly unfolds. Similar to what Damages does. I love that.

Another phenomenal episode.

Walt is getting way out of control and sooner or later he's going to fuck with the wrong person, presumably with disastrous consequences. What a great performance by Cranston (and all of the supporting cast). I can't wait to see what happens at the house in the flash forward.

Executive producers of every other television show currently airing: Watch Breaking Bad and take notes, it's better than all of you combined.

daw840

Cornballer said:

This makes me think something about the intro scenes that I hadn't really thought about before.
Could the water heater cause a natural gas explosion that kills Skyler and Walt Jr? Thus leaving Walt to be a drug kingpin without worrying about his wife and kid? Obviously, the show wants you to think he starts cooking at his house and something terrible happens, but this show never goes where it appears it is going.

npm0925

daw840 said:
This makes me think something about the intro scenes that I hadn't really thought about before.
But then why the hazmat suits? And would police really bag everything as evidence in the event of a natural gas explosion?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
dead souls said:
Executive producers of every other television show currently airing: Watch Breaking Bad and take notes, it's better than all of you combined.

completely agree.. every episode is so amazingly crafted... what else have these writers/producers/etc. worked on?

Mindlog

So my stray question was about Skylar.

She questions her boss about the Keller account and he tells her some crap. Does she start crying because she recognizes a lie? The same type of line she's getting from Walt.

Mindlog said:
She questions her boss about the Keller account and he tells her some crap. Does she start crying because she recognizes a lie? The same type of line she's getting from Walt.
Perhaps. To me it sounded like her boss was cooking the books, but I might be reading too much into that.

Another thing one of the reviews pointed out that I missed, Walt was making Jr. drink to some extent because he was pissed off at him always wanting to hear stories from Hank (along with using a nickname, etc...)
He wrecks the party Skyler throws to celebrate his remission by pouring one drink of tequila after another into Walter Jr., finally stepping to Hank for the sin of daring to play surrogate father figure to Jr. while Walt's been distracted these past months.

Fatalah

Cornballer said:
Perhaps. To me it sounded like her boss was cooking the books, but I might be reading too much into that.

Another thing one of the reviews pointed out that I missed, Walt was making Jr. drink to some extent because he was pissed off at him always wanting to hear stories from Hank (along with using a nickname, etc...)

I just assumed Skylar broke down crying because she didn't want to go home. She was looking for a reason to stay at work. Both Skylar and Walt kept themselves busy the whole episode. Walt found various projects within the house, and was ready to begin a new one until he had his moment of clarity on the hardware store line.

The scene with Walt making his son drink--- that's a reaction to Walt not wanting to return to his feeble old self. He misses calling the shots, he misses being intimidating, he misses being Heizenberg.

Fatalah said:
The scene with Walt making his son drink--- that's a reaction to Walt not wanting to return to his feeble old self. He misses calling the shots, he misses being intimidating, he misses being Heizenberg.

That's a small part of it. But the bigger issue is that he hates how his son looks up to Hank. "What are you looking at him for?" or "Don't look at him!" whichever the line was that Walt used there, very telling. Plus, Walt also knows that Hank was a blubbering wimp that wouldn't get out of bed because of what happened across the border and yet he's still putting on the macho show for Walt Jr.

The transformation between Walt-past and Walt-present has felt so natural. Go back and watch episode one of season one. The two characters are so completely different that it's shocking, but the evolution was so gradual and believable that I didn't even notice. Anyway, new episode is awesome, show keeps delivering.

Fatalah

Spectral Glider said:
That's a small part of it. But the bigger issue is that he hates how his son looks up to Hank. "What are you looking at him for?" or "Don't look at him!" whichever the line was that Walt used there, very telling. Plus, Walt also knows that Hank was a blubbering wimp that wouldn't get out of bed because of what happened across the border and yet he's still putting on the macho show for Walt Jr.

Good point about Hank's previous meltdown, I forgot about that. I doubt Walt even thinks about that moment though.. He's just thinking about himself, and how Hank's fatherly role has always pissed him off.

The whole scene serves to show us how much Walt refuses to be stepped on anymore. The show originally presents the father-son-uncle issue back when Walt was feeble-Walt. Then re-presents it as Heizen-Walt. We all see the changes this man has undergone.

Lastly-- this scene isn't the first time Hank has dealt with Heizenberg. Heizenberg was the only one to get Hank out of bed during his meltdown. There's such a dichotomy between Hank and Walt, it's bloody brilliant!

KingGondo

Banned
Gexecuter said:
Fantastic episode, i really liked the ending scene with that awesome music on. Badass.

Fyi, that's "DLZ" by TV On The Radio. The album "Dear Science" is awesome if you haven't listened to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom