• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Breaking Bad" - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Fatalah said:
Walt hitting the paper towel dispenser.
Was the remission news bittersweet to him?
Walt focused on his reflection and began to pound his fist on the paper towel dispenser. Was Walt upset that he turned himself into a monster, for no reason?

Or did the downtrodden man pound the dispenser in a celebratory fashion? One very important win for a man that has had few victories in life.

We don't need to spoiler tag anything from episodes that have already aired, right? In any case, comment #387 already mentioned remission...

I think all three of your explanations for Walt hitting the paper towel dispenser (remission news bittersweet, upset at turning into a monster, celebratory) don't make much sense.
I think it was more "Jesus, my stupid behavior almost got us killed for no good reason."

The good news at the end was ironic because Walt sees himself as the man of science and reason. He mercilessly mocked Jesse throughout the episode for not thinking, and also displayed a patronizing attitude (as he usually does) towards Marie when she was talking about analyzing CT scans, of all things. Yet it was his irrational knee-jerk reaction to seeing a reflection of the CT scan (that he lacks the expertise to properly interpret!) that almost got them killed.

Regarding the monster part: I don't think Walt sees himself as turning into a monster. He just thinks he's doing what he has to do for his family, and believes the ends justify the means. He will probably have that realization eventually if he continues down this path, but it has not happened yet.

xbhaskarx

My favorite little moment from this episode: when Walt was reluctant to high-five Jesse, and then finally did so with a roar and gritted teeth.

npm0925

Fatalah said:
Walt focused on his reflection and began to pound his fist on the paper towel dispenser. Was Walt upset that he turned himself into a monster, for no reason?
I don't think the symbolism could be any clearer; Walt hates what he has become and even more hates the prospect of having to be that person for a long time.

xbhaskarx

npm0925 said:
I don't think the symbolism could be any clearer; Walt hates what he has become and even more hates the prospect of having to be that person for a long time.

It couldn't be any clearer? What specifics from this episode even support the "Walt realizes he's becoming a monster" theory? The only thing I can think of is from the preview,
saying he's getting out after this. But he could also be saying that because he's expecting over $600,000 from this batch, and because his cancer is in remission and he's no longer short on time. And in any case we all know that's not actually going to happen, as the show will continue even after this latest batch of meth is gone.
If this was the Walt realizes he's becoming a monster moment, I will be very disappointed.

I think my interpretation is better supported by the other events from this episode:
The good news at the end was ironic because Walt sees himself as the man of science and reason. He mercilessly mocked Jesse throughout the episode for not thinking, and also displayed a patronizing attitude (as he usually does) towards Marie when she was talking about analyzing CT scans, of all things. Yet it was his irrational knee-jerk reaction to seeing a reflection of the CT scan (that he lacks the expertise to properly interpret!) that almost got them killed.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
So his cancer is almost cured, how will they keep him in the whole meth subplot? Unless he finds out the freedom he had making meth was the reason his cancer went into remission & without it, the cancer will come back, so back to the meth lab he goes.

xbhaskarx

This show has so much unexpected comedy.

There were some really funny one liners this week. Aside from the hilarious "A robot?" line, there was Jesse's "Wire!" and Saul's "That's my legal opinion."
Also Hank quoting The Godfather at the end, after Saul and Walt's "consigliere" conversation last week, was very clever.

Vlad

Drahcir said:
I was wondering where this episode was going until that awesome payoff at the end when Walt hits the towel dispenser. That scene alone made the episode what it was. The culmination of all that hard labor that took up the entire episode (the whole week in the show's timeline) in which their lives were in danger as well, knowing he was doing this for his family when he dies, then only to find out that his cancer was in remission and decreased miraculously drove Walt to lash out at all he's been through up to now. Perhaps Walt felt as if he was going through all this trouble almost for nothing?

This might be an interesting turning point.

I think the big thing is that Walt's been taking a LOT of risks (showing his face to the dealers, standing up to some rather scary characters), and he's been under the assumption that it doesn't really matter, since he'll be dead soon anyway. Now, it looks like he's going to be around a bit longer than he expected, but he's already stuck his neck way out. He knows that the DEA's on to his blue meth and knows about his Heisenberg name, and anybody who's seen his face can identify him.

Now, he knows that he might actually have to deal with some consequences of his actions.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I bet AMCs Breaking Bad stream is going to be hit *so freaking hard* today. :lol

editL they only have eps 1 and 2. wtf

Fatalah

Note to folks: Avoid my posts if you don't want anything spoiled!

Vlad said:
Now, he knows that he might actually have to deal with some consequences of his actions.

That's how I'm leaning now too. Although bhaskar's interpretation is solid too. I approached the fist-punching a little differently, thinking about Walt's whole story, not just his near-death experience over the weekend.

I could totally see Walt being pissed at himself for almost getting killed over his misinterpretation of his scan.

BTW- How bad would it have been for Walt's dead body to be found in a cooklab with $1.4 mil worth of meth? That's all I kept thinking about during those scenes.

BigAT

xbhaskarx said:
My favorite little moment from this episode: when Walt was reluctant to high-five Jesse, and then finally did so with a roar and gritted teeth.

Same here. We definitely need a GIF of this scene, pronto.

FTWer said:
So his cancer is almost cured, how will they keep him in the whole meth subplot? Unless he finds out the freedom he had making meth was the reason his cancer went into remission & without it, the cancer will come back, so back to the meth lab he goes.

My bet is that he'll keep doing it? I mean, what happens after his cancer is cured? Go back to living the same boring life? Yeah he loves his family, but I remember that one episode where he talks about how he's an over-achiever, too good to be teacher, yadda, yadda. Maybe once you're in, you can't get back out.

Fatalah

Jason's Ultimatum said:
My bet is that he'll keep doing it? I mean, what happens after his cancer is cured? Go back to living the same boring life? Yeah he loves his family, but I remember that one episode where he talks about how he's an over-achiever, too good to be teacher, yadda, yadda. Maybe once you're in, you can't get back out.

Don't forget that Walt was working at the car wash part-time to make ends meet.

I think it would be pretty awesome if Walt invested his money to create his own company. Compete with Grey Matter! You just know that storyline isn't over.

Fatalah

daw840 said:
I am just waiting for Jesse's GF to find the list scribbled on the Pizza Box.....

I don't think that's anything to worry about. Don't you think she's figured him out already? She's got to know that he's mixed up in something. But I don't think even Hank would believe how big of a figure Jesse is to the drug scene. He's a druglord!

Plus, I don't think Jesse would carry around a pizza box to get all the items. He probably tore off his scribbled notes and went to the store.

xbhaskarx said:

That was so great.

Once again another fan-fucking-tastic episode. Loved that Walt found out his cancer is in remission, since now we'll most likely get to watch him realize that he's in too deep to leave the meth trade behind.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wtf S02E09 has aired?

cause..... it's uh....... i missed it and stuff....

Enkidu

It's really strange how this episode is nowhere to be seen. I hope we don't have to wait too long before it shows up though.

You know, lately Walt has been careless about his drug-dealing -- showing his face to people (Jesse's underlings, the first time he met Saul, etc.) -- and I was a little confused by that, as he entered into the "business" very calculatingly.

But at the beginning of last episode, when he said something like "Skylar won't find out until after I'm gone," it makes a little more sense.

He was never planning for a 5- or 10-year career. He's no Avon or Stringer. He probably thought the absolute worst that can happen is he'll go to jail and die a month or so later, having laundered and provided money for his family.

However, as he's been setting up for a short-term goal, life has been making other plans. All of a sudden, he's got a lot of time he doesn't know what to do with.

He's been neglecting his wife and son; he's been making connections that have every possibility of turning around and biting him in the ass; he's created so many other liabilities. That's a huge part of why he's so frustrated.

After he clears the huge batch of blue crystal he and Jesse cooked, Walt will try his hardest to sever all the ties to that world, and you can bet your ass he'll encounter trouble in doing so.

Upon receiving the scan results, Hank quips, "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me right back in." He doesn't know how prophetic he is.

seat

catfish said:
wtf S02E09 has aired?

cause..... it's uh....... i missed it and stuff....
That's odd. I wonder what the deal is? The funny thing is I have the episode on my DVR, I just prefer to watch this show in private away from the family. :lol

daw840

seat said:
That's odd. I wonder what the deal is? The funny thing is I have the episode on my DVR, I just prefer to watch this show in private away from the family. :lol

Yeah, I always feel a little strange watching this show around my parents (I'm 27 years old, FML)

KingGondo

Banned
I fully believe given enough time, Walt could've made a bad-ass robot.

Just imagine the adventures that Walt, Jesse, Saul, and Meth-Bot 3000 would have together!

seat

daw840 said:
Yeah, I always feel a little strange watching this show around my parents (I'm 27 years old, FML)
Whoa, weird coincidence. It's the exact same situation on my end, including our ages.

joshcryer

One of you guys with a DVR should do everyone else a favor 'cause it looks like the other peeps here won't get to see it until Thursday.

*head explodes*

Hulu needs to host it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
anyone have any idea why this episode is nowhere to be found?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

pitt_norton

I can't believe this episode is not online... the wait is killing me...

EDIT: Wait! It's not such a demon to get... hint hint

seat

Finally watched the most recent episode on the ole' DVR. Couldn't wait for the internet. Spoilers ahoy...

npm0925 said:
Indeed, that's what I was thinking too. I agree with the clarity of the symbolism of the scene.

Earlier in the episode when Walt thought death was inevitable, he lamented about all the lying to his loved ones he's had to do since he entered the drug world. Jesse responds with a comment along the lines of, "You had to do what was necessary to take care of your family." Walt thinks of himself as a good person, and he did a lot of bad things that he thought was amounting to a much greater good. Now that it looks likely that he'll survive cancer, he sees that all his seedy behavior was for naught. Don't forget that he had to kill someone in the first season.

I hope now that Walt might beat cancer that the show and its characters evolve accordingly. If Walt should become more reluctant to take major risks, how will that affect Jesse and his business? Once Jesse finds out that Walt will survive, what actions will Jesse take to make sure Walt has to stay in the meth-making business? I have a feeling Jesse will find out just how dependent he is on Walt when he tries to leave and will do something to less-than-likable to make him stay.

I was extremely satisfied with this episode despite only a passing moment of Odenkirk. They better use him a lot in the coming episodes, though!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
neight said:
Oh for crying out loud just buy it at Amazon.com for $1.99.

because we all live in America right?

FX (the channel that shows it over here) hasn't even started season 2 yet. So unless somebody puts it online I'll be waiting 'til September before I finally see it.

gdt

Watching now, that girl is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hot.

Who is she? Has she done anything before? Can I see her vajajay or titays?

Edit: She also has a fantastic bootay.

Edit2: My god what a pair of legs.

joshcryer

Best episode of the season for me. I wanted to see more Walt/Jesse interaction and I got it, just in time.

Breaking Bad remains the best show on TV right now.

joshcryer

2wgtbms.jpg

2hzguwj.jpg

dcg8y0.jpg

wv78tu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom