• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brendan Dassey's conviction in Halbach homicide overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Brendan Dassey's conviction in the death of Teresa Halbach has been overturned.

Dassey, Steven Avery's nephew, was sentenced to life with no parole for 41 years after being convicted in 2007 of first-degree intentional homicide, second-degree sexual assault, and mutilation of a corpse in the killing of Halbach in Manitowoc County.

The ruling says the state has 90 days to appeal the federal order or Dassey must be released from prison. He is being held at Columbia Correctional Institution.

The federal judge called Dassey's lawyer, Len Kachinsky,'s "misconduct" in defending Dassey "indefensible."

Source: http://www.wisn.com/news/brendan-dasseys-conviction-overturned/41178138

Just seen this pop up?!

Gastone

Pretty crazy, since i just finished watching this fascinating documentary in the last 2 days.

http://www.wisn.com/news/brendan-dasseys-conviction-overturned/41178138

Dassey, Steven Avery's nephew, was sentenced to life with no parole for 41 years after being convicted in 2007 of first-degree intentional homicide, second-degree sexual assault, and mutilation of a corpse in the killing of Halbach in Manitowoc County.

The ruling says the state has 90 days to appeal the federal order or Dassey must be released from prison.

He is being held at Columbia Correctional Institution.

Avery remains convicted of murder, but continues to appeal that conviction

CHC

WOW. Didn't expect any kind of resolution nearly this soon. Regardless of what Steven Avery's actions may or may not have been, this kid got the short end of the stick all around.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good.

The federal judge called Dassey's lawyer, Len Kachinsky,'s "misconduct" in defending Dassey "indefensible."
That's putting it mildly. Asshole had zero interest in serving his client.

kavanf1

Wow. Good for him. Whatever about Avery, that Dassey was ever convicted was a horrendous miscarriage of justice.

Saw this pop up on Twitter, but figured it made more sense for someone else to make the thread

Season 2 just started with a bang, then

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
While I think the way his trail went was ridiculously corrupt and unfair, I still believe he had a part in this. I guess we'll see. That being said I don't think he's a danger to the public, I think he's a simpleton who was just following orders.

WOW. Didn't expect any kind of resolution nearly this soon. Regardless of what Steven Avery's actions may or may not have been, this kid got the short end of the stick all around.

Agreed. Even if Avery himself was a questionable figure, the treatment towards Brendan was nothing short of criminal.

Also good to know that Season 2 will have one hell of a satisfying ending.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
unbelievable to me that dassey was convicted with all teh shit the police and lawyer pulled.

Audioboxer

Surely he's going to have the chance to make a ton of $ in damages? I mean so much of his life growing up has been stolen.

Just in time for...
tumblr_lxtpuxsdVq1qcsunko1_500.gif

Cat Party

Agreed. He was let down by people who were supposed to protect him. Glad to see, at the very least, that he'll receive proper representation this time.

Good. That video where he was being coerced into writing down a testimony and diagrams of "what happened" by the prosecution was probably the most disturbing part of that documentary to me.

Fantastic news, it was heartbreaking to see how the system fucked him over. Not only does he clearly have learning difficulties which were used to trick him into confessing but the 'evidence' they used convict him went directly against the 'evidence' they used against Stephen.

Now all.we need is for Stephen to get the same thing and justice will be served.

Dr.Acula

Banned
At the very very least, no way that woman was killed in two different locations, as the prosecutors created wildly different scenarios surrounding her murder in the two separate trials.

Gastone

Good. That video where he was being coerced into writing down a testimony and diagrams of "what happened" by the prosecution was probably the most disturbing part of that documentary to me.

Yeah, i have to agree. I couldn´t believe how that was done. The investigator basically told him / showed him what to draw. Not to mention how they took advantage of him mentally in the earlier interrogations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom