• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brendan Dassey's conviction in Halbach homicide overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerm411

So after this news broke I have to admit I was completely floored....don't think anyone saw this coming.

I had 4 days off from work last week and this news sparked me to get back into it and I consumed a lot of media concerning the case, read a bunch of stuff, etc. and I have to be honest a lot of my thoughts have been changed.

I was 110% convinced after MaM that Avery and Brendan were innocent and this was an injustice and everything else.......now I'm not so sure. After seeing just how one sided MaM was and seeing what was left out, it's kind of startling and crazy....goes to show how you shouldn't buy into something without knowing the complete truth.

I think there's still murkiness as to what happened and it's a clusterfuck but I feel a lot less certain of Avery's innocence (and Brendan's for that matter) than before....as with OJ, I'm coming around to the idea that Manitowoc framed a guilty man.

dyergram

So after this news broke I have to admit I was completely floored....don't think anyone saw this coming.

I had 4 days off from work last week and this news sparked me to get back into it and I consumed a lot of media concerning the case, read a bunch of stuff, etc. and I have to be honest a lot of my thoughts have been changed.

I was 110% convinced after MaM that Avery and Brendan were innocent and this was an injustice and everything else.......now I'm not so sure. After seeing just how one sided MaM was and seeing what was left out, it's kind of startling and crazy....goes to show how you shouldn't buy into something without knowing the complete truth.

I think there's still murkiness as to what happened and it's a clusterfuck but I feel a lot less certain of Avery's innocence (and Brendan's for that matter) than before....as with OJ, I'm coming around to the idea that Manitowoc framed a guilty man.
are you saying you believe that OJ was framed as well?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
That sack of shit lawyer should take his place in prison.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I think they are both guilty.
Fuck me right....

I think they are both guilty.
Fuck me right....

No, it's a case with both sides having a compelling argument if you ignore the narrative. However, the general public believes they're both innocent, especially with the defense's evidences laid out.

I hope they both go to a different city (whenever...) with different public and law enforcement.

gamz

Nothing that was left out changed my mind at all. And if I remember right quite a bit was left out on both sides of the fence.

nilbog21

Banned

I just don't the Manitowoc county is competent enough to risk framing an innocent person, especially since they knew it would have insane media coverage, and there just isn't enough incentive.. Unless someone in there is just BAT SHIT crazy enough to do that, which I'm just not seeing

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't the Manitowoc county is competent enough to risk framing an innocent person, especially since they knew it would have insane media coverage, and there just isn't enough incentive.. Unless someone in there is just BAT SHIT crazy enough to do that, which I'm just not seeing
Hence the loose ends that were available and mentioned in MaM.

As for bat shit crazy...that payout owed Avery wouldve been devastating had it gone through. I think their backs were to the wall and an opportunity presented itself.

nilbog21

Banned
Hence the loose ends that were available and mentioned in MaM.

As for bat shit crazy...that payout owed Avery wouldve been devastating had it gone through. I think their backs were to the wall and an opportunity presented itself.

It's the tax payers that pay, It's not coming out of Lenk's pocket.. The police department fucked up in the 1985 rape case, but the victim pointed to Steven Avery and said "That's the man who raped me", so it's not that hard to make sense of what happened...

gamz

Leopard

Honestly, what is the general public view on Avery? I am having a tough time believing if he's innocent or not..im caught in-between.

gamz

Honestly, what is the general public view on Avery? I am having a tough time believing if he's innocent or not..im caught in-between.

Innocent or not enough to convict him.

I don't think anyone thinks that Massey should not be let free. There was no evidence on the poor kid and he was rail-roaded by everyone.

Rewatched Making a Murderer after this news came out. I think the series as a whole has a clear agenda, and I don't really trust it much because of that. But the stuff with Brendan Dassey is pretty damning for the police department. I don't know how they could justify leading a slow kid along like that. He was so obviously just trying to figure out what they wanted to say.

I mean, maybe the rest of the interrogation tapes would show some different context, but damn.

The good news is you don't have to pick a side. Avery may very well have killed her, but the investigation and the prosecution's case was an absolute travesty from start to finish, at every single level, and never should have secured a prosecution on the evidence and theories presented.

Arkeband

Banned
Rewatched Making a Murderer after this news came out. I think the series as a whole has a clear agenda, and I don't really trust it much because of that. But the stuff with Brendan Dassey is pretty damning for the police department. I don't know how they could justify leading a slow kid along like that. He was so obviously just trying to figure out what they wanted to say.

I mean, maybe the rest of the interrogation tapes would show some different context, but damn.

The agenda is first and foremost to show how the police department and justice system acted with severe irregularity and malice to indict a man and his nephew whom they were pretty sure did the crime - after they were already caught red-handed doing it to the same exact man previously and were dead wrong.

It's less about proving innocence than it is about showing how commonplace protocol is not followed and how easily a blind eye can be turned to injustice.

nilbog21

Banned

General public view is that he is innocent. Even though some still believe he did do it, as it is still probably the most coherent theory right now, it is indisputable with the evidence that was presented that he should not has been convicted of murder.

Personally, I'm pretty sure Bobby Dassey and his friend raped and killed her. Step dad is also involved somehow. Pretty sure it was his van she came to photograph too...

Also... http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wkow/newsdocs/avery document page 23 +.pdf

It's less about proving innocence than it is about showing how commonplace protocol is not followed and how easily a blind eye can be turned to injustice.

Well said

edit: WOW this theory from a redditor just blew my mind
https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMur.../the_most_credible_theory_i_have_seen_so_far/

Now someone probably said it here before but man I hope he doesn't get arrested again or to be put in a similar situation. You just just have that feeling y'know?

General public view is that he is innocent. Even though some still believe he did do it, as it is still probably the most coherent theory right now, it is indisputable with the evidence that was presented that he should not has been convicted of murder.

Personally, I'm pretty sure Bobby Dassey and his friend raped and killed her. Step dad is also involved somehow. Pretty sure it was his van she came to photograph too...

Also... http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wkow/newsdocs/avery document page 23 +.pdf

Well said

edit: WOW this theory from a redditor just blew my mind
https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMur.../the_most_credible_theory_i_have_seen_so_far/

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, reddit has two other subs with less stringent moderation regarding "theories".

For people leaning toward innocent, or at least that they framed him, even if he did do it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TickTockManitowoc/

And then the Steven Avery is Guilty sub where they support the Guilty verdict and don't think Law Enforcement did a good job:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StevenAveryIsGuilty/

gamz

The agenda is first and foremost to show how the police department and justice system acted with severe irregularity and malice to indict a man and his nephew whom they were pretty sure did the crime - after they were already caught red-handed doing it to the same exact man previously and were dead wrong.

1000% and the filmmakers have stated this countless times.

Dr.Acula

Banned

It's like Avery's lawyers said, Manitowoc thinks they have the guilty party and are manufacturing evidence to sweeten their beliefs. They have incentive to convict the guilty, and they are utterly convinced of Avery's and Dassey's guilt.

Ayumi

Now someone probably said it here before but man I hope he doesn't get arrested again or to be put in a similar situation. You just just have that feeling y'know?
If they find new or new-old evidence, it might happen. Clearly it's different from country to country, but I just saw a case of it happen on Norwegian news. A guy was convicted (12 years in jail, which is a lot for murder in Norwag, but that's another story) for a murder in 1999. It was appealed, he received 500,000 NOK (about 60k USD) in compensation or whatever it's called in English. Last year they found some more evidence and he's most likely gettinga new guilty verdict and going back to jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom