• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brendan Dassey's conviction in Halbach homicide overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazmat

Honestly? I hope he does but he better move the fuck out of there first.

All I want for this kid is for him to get out of prison and have him and his mom move out of that fucking cesspool that they live in. Let him find some peace to live in with his cats and wrestlemania.

While I think the way his trail went was ridiculously corrupt and unfair, I still believe he had a part in this. I guess we'll see. That being said I don't think he's a danger to the public, I think he's a simpleton who was just following orders.

What evidence do you have that leads you to believe Brendan Dassey had a hand in it?because their is literally no physical evidence linking him to the crime at all. The only thing they had on him was the coerced confession.

This should help Steven Avery because without Brendan Dassey's confession the whole timeline of events falls apart. A lot of evidence and the main theory of how the murder was done was based on Brendan Dassey's confession.

Haines

Banned
Isn't it crazy that his uncle got out if jail and now him.

I don't know why the documentary led me to believe he still did it but I hope he didn't do anything and this is a happy ending.

Either way guy was in jail for a while and I doubt he's the same from it.

Wow at the people who think avery killed anyone.

If you just watch MaM, it's easy to buy the filmmakers' spin that Avery was framed for a crime he didn't commit. When you start looking at all the facts that MaM didn't provide, though, everything becomes a little more fuzzy.

Given the evidence of seemingly obvious framing by the police, I question whether Avery should have been convicted, but there's still a strong likelihood that he committed the crime.

Socreges

Banned
I'm not saying these guys aren't innocent or not but the documentary is extremely biased in its narrative on this case and you still might be cheering on a dude who killed a woman pretty gruesomely.
What evidence would you like to present? His confession?

I am almost certainly convinced that they will rush together another trial and try to stitch him up again before he'll get to spend a day free.

I really hope to be wrong.

If you just watch MaM, it's easy to buy the filmmakers' spin that Avery was framed for a crime he didn't commit. When you start looking at all the facts that MaM didn't provide, though, everything becomes a little more fuzzy.

Given the evidence of seemingly obvious framing by the police, I question whether Avery should have been convicted, but there's still a strong likelihood that he committed the crime.

Precisely. Yeah. The investigation was bullshit. The forensic evidence should have been inadmissible. Yes, holding police departments to these standards means that guilty people get set free sometimes, but it's to stop innocent people getting thrown in jail.

If anyone deserved a fair investigation and trial it was Avery.

And EVERYONE deserves one.

Ceres

Banned
I'm curious at the court evidence that supports those who still think Avery did it. Because looking at an article of stuff they left out of the documentary is a list of all hearsay and stuff they said wasn't used for evidence in the trial

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I am almost certainly convinced that they will rush together another trial and try to stitch him up again before he'll get to spend a day free.

Can you imagine what a waste of time, money and resources that would be? They literally have no physical evidence on this kid. I have a feeling they won't even appeal.

Dalek

Can you explain to me how a woman can be killed in a bed with her throat slit-and yet there is no blood or DNA anywhere in the room, the bed or sheets....and then she is moved to a garage and shot in the back of the head to be killed again and yet there is no blood or DNA anywhere in the garage?

Fantastic news.

If they've deemed his "confession" inadmissible, what else do they even have with which to form a case? Also another trial would be under such intense worldwide scrutiny that they'd have to play completely by the book which, well, again they have nothing.

Walpurgis

Banned
Can you imagine what a waste of time, money and resources that would be? They literally have no physical evidence on this kid. I have a feeling they won't even appeal.
They probably would have but because of the documentary and its popularity, they will probably be too scared. They might surprise us though.

Nairume

Banned
I'm curious at the court evidence that supports those who still think Avery did it. Because looking at an article of stuff they left out of the documentary is a list of all hearsay and stuff they said wasn't used for evidence in the trial
Yeah, like, the only legit evidence I've ever really seen noted as actually being omitted by MaM was the followup to the blood vial being tampered with where they were able to determine that the blood sample found in Halbach's van wasn't from that vial.

Can you explain to me how a woman can be killed in a bed with her throat slit-and yet there is no blood or DNA anywhere in the room, the bed or sheets....and then she is moved to a garage and shot in the back of the head to be killed again and yet there is no blood or DNA anywhere in the garage?

Slitting the throat in the bedroom, no idea. But evidence was presented that Brendan Dassey had bleach-stained jeans, and I think part of his confession was that he cleaned up the garage with bleach.

There were lots of different articles discussing evidence MaM left out of the documentary after it aired. Here's a few I just found:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ery-the-netflic-show-missed-out-a6807961.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...teven-avery-teresa-halbach-case-a6845066.html

Also, it should be noted that prosecutors don't need to prove a crime with forensic evidence every step of the way. That's what many juries want today in this "CSI" age we live in, but it isn't necessary. Certainly the defense can poke holes in the prosecutor's theory if he argues the victim's throat was slashed, but can't supply any evidence supporting that. Direct evidence isn't necessary to sustain a conviction, though, circumstantial evidence is sufficient in every jurisdiction that I'm aware of.

Agreed, but by the metric required he shouldn't have been convicted at all. Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Dalek

Slitting the throat in the bedroom, no idea. But evidence was presented that Brendan Dassey had bleach-stained jeans, and I think part of his confession was that he cleaned up the garage with bleach.

There were lots of different articles discussing evidence MaM left out of the documentary after it aired. Here's a few I just found:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ery-the-netflic-show-missed-out-a6807961.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...teven-avery-teresa-halbach-case-a6845066.html

Also, it should be noted that prosecutors don't need to prove a crime with forensic evidence every step of the way. That's what many juries want today in this "CSI" age we live in, but it isn't necessary. Certainly the defense can poke holes in the prosecutor's theory if he argues the victim's throat was slashed, but can't supply any evidence supporting that. Direct evidence isn't necessary to sustain a conviction, though, circumstantial evidence is sufficient in every jurisdiction that I'm aware of.

These are the same clickbait articles that are passed around since the show-and they all have a single source-Kratz. Nothing in here is "evidence". It's detail that is pretty inconsequential and comes from an unreliable source-a man who changes the details for the crime for both cases and had his law license suspended for misconduct.

There is no evidence at all that Stephen Avery did this. and the fact that Brandon is now being released is pretty telling about how this house of cards is all falling apart.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Wrong, on the third search, disqualified investigators found a bullet fragment with trace DNA in the garage. Case closed.

Agreed, but by the metric required he shouldn't have been convicted at all. Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Just depends on the interpretation of "reasonable doubt" by the jury. Given the outcome, I suspect they looked at the evidence of police framing and probably agreed that it happened, but found that there was still sufficient evidence that wasn't or couldn't have been planted to warrant Avery's conviction. At least that's the only way I can see a reasonable jury come to the outcome they did.

Unfortunately we got such a biased view of the proceeding from the MaM filmmakers, which was obviously done to ratchet up the drama and cause viewers to be outraged. It would be nice to get an impartial view of the whole thing, though.

Dalek

Wrong, on the third search, disqualified investigators found a bullet fragment with trace DNA in the garage. Case closed.

lionel-hutz-iphone.gif

Nairume

Banned
These are the same clickbait articles that are passed around since the show-and they all have a single source-Kratz. Nothing in here is "evidence". It's detail that is pretty inconsequential and comes from an unreliable source-a man who changes the details for the crime for both cases and had his law license suspended for misconduct.

There is no evidence at all that Stephen Avery did this. and the fact that Brandon is now being released is pretty telling about how this house of cards is all falling apart.
My favorite thing about this same list of "omitted evidence" is that they keep trying to harp on the cat thing and other things that happened before he got arrested for the Penny Beerntsen case.

Stuff explicitly mentioned in MaM.

All the other evidence has a single source as well: MaM. And they're biased as well.

According to Kratz, there was additional evidence presented at the trial. I'm not saying he's the most credible guy, but there's a court record for all this, and I doubt he fabricated things that can easily be fact checked by referring to the record.

Also, you have an extremely narrow definition of "evidence" if you think there was absolutely nothing that suggested Avery committed the crime.

Dalek

All the other evidence has a single source as well: MaM. And they're biased as well.

According to Kratz, there was additional evidence presented at the trial. I'm not saying he's the most credible guy, but there's a court record for all this, and I doubt he fabricated things that can easily be fact checked by referring to the record.

Also, you have an extremely narrow definition of "evidence" if you think there was absolutely nothing that suggested Avery committed the crime.

Suggestions do not and should not ever convict a person of a murder conviction.

Suggestions do not and should not ever convict a person of a murder conviction.

Yeah, actually they do all the time. If direct evidence was required, very few perpetrators would be convicted. Look up the law in (probably) every state, circumstantial evidence is sufficient to support a conviction on even the gravest of crimes.

Dalek

While on the phone with his mother, neither of them knew what "inconsistent" meant.

I forgot about that. Shit.

What's even more sickening is that these guys were so obsessed with putting Stephen Avery and Brandon Dassey away that they never investigated anyone else-meaning that they could care less if there was a real murderer loose and walking around. They were willing to trick a dim-witted teenage boy to a life sentence in prison rather than actually protect the public from harm.

This news made my day, I'm so fucking happy for Brendan, he was 110% innocent and it was so disgusting the way the system took advantage of him...

This is not justice though. Justice would be jailing that piece of shit lawyer and the rear of his band and make them pay all they've got to Brendan in reparations.

But there's no justice in this world ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom