• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brendan Dassey's conviction in Halbach homicide overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. That video where he was being coerced into writing down a testimony and diagrams of "what happened" by the prosecution was probably the most disturbing part of that documentary to me.

It wasn't just the prosecution. His own lawyer sent a guy that coached him into confessing and guided him on what to say. His lawyer was basically working with the prosecution to get him to confess to strengthen the case against his uncle.

Yeah, i have to agree. I couldn´t believe how that was done. The investigator basically told him / showed him what to draw. Not to mention how they took advantage of him mentally in the earlier interrogations.

The investigator was working for his lawyer. That investigator was supposed to be helping him.

Good. That video where he was being coerced into writing down a testimony and diagrams of "what happened" by the prosecution was probably the most disturbing part of that documentary to me.
What else i found disturbing is how his own lawyer was serving him up to the detectives.

Boke1879

If and when he truly gets released. He better fucking sue and the state should just give him the money. After that. Him and his immediate family just need to move away.

Ceres

Banned

That wasn't even the prosecution. The diagram part was prompted from his own fucking defense lawyer with his own private investigator.

It wasn't just the prosecution. His own lawyer sent a guy that coached him into confessing and guided him on what to say. His lawyer was basically working with the prosecution to get him to confess to strengthen the case against his uncle.

The investigator was working for his lawyer. That investigator was supposed to be helping him.

What else i found disturbing is how his own lawyer was serving him up to the detectives.
Yeah you guys are totally right. I had forgotten that detail.

Boke1879

Nothing about his conviction ever made any sense. Too bad you need a massively popular documentary series to get such an obvious miscarriage of justice corrected.

It was crazy. They charged Avery with the murder of Halbach in one trial. Then in the Trial with Dassey they literally convicted him of murdering Halbach in an entirely different way than what was presented in the Avery trial.

RangerX

Banned
Fuckin hell I didn't expect this. His conviction was absolutely scandalous anyway. The kid didn't even know what was going on most of the time.

Time Flashes

Neo Member
Let's hope he gets a better life than the one he had before and during his stay in prison, because this guy's journey has been tough to say the least.

Audioboxer

It was crazy. They charged Avery with the murder of Halbach in one trial. Then in the Trial with Dassey they literally convicted him of murdering Halbach in an entirely different way than what was presented in the Avery trial.

Yeah watching it on Netflix literally made my blood boil. As it did to my parents and many other friends when I recommended it to them.

Halcyon

I'm not saying these guys aren't innocent or not but the documentary is extremely biased in its narrative on this case and you still might be cheering on a dude who killed a woman pretty gruesomely.

Dalek

Does anyone know if this would need to be sought after, or could it be done by Government?

Well it would need to be an independent suit brought against the county if I'm not mistaken - like what Stephen was trying to do before he was accused of then murder.

Audioboxer

I'm not saying these guys aren't innocent or not but the documentary is extremely biased in its narrative on this case and you still might be cheering on a dude who killed a woman pretty gruesomely.

I don't think Brendan's evidence provided by his new lawyer/team was simply "yo Judge, watch Making a Murderer".

Zellner has been saying for a while she has new evidence for Steven and he is innocent.

Well it would need to be an independent suit brought against the county if I'm not mistaken - like what Stephen was trying to do before he was accused of then murder.

Cheers

We're cheering someone who was clearly coerced into a confession by the police and given a ridiculous defense lawyer going free.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
She probably did. This will help her case.

I can honestly see Steven doing the murder sadly.
Sure, he could have but it doesnt make any freaking sense. He just got out of jail, why would he kill someone and go back. I know he's not the smartest but even he would know that the police would look at him first.

seriously, any half competent lawyer would have pointed this out at any stage of the trail.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

The documentary is biased as hell that is for sure, and I don't think a ton of us would be in here cheering if it was Avery that got off, but what they did to this kid and how they got him to "confess" is one of the most fucked up things I've seen in my life. Clearly taking advantage of someone who was just completely uneducated and had no idea what was going on. Dude basically confessed to the shit so he could be home on time to watch Wrestlemania lol

Audioboxer

Okay there is more here

In the 91-page decision, Federal Judge William Duffin was critical of the work done by original defense attorney Len Kachinsky, calling it "indefensible" but says that's not the basis to overturn the conviction.

However, the state courts unreasonably found that the investigators never made Dassey any promises during the March 1, 2006 interrogation. The investigators repeatedly claimed to already know what happened on October 31 and assured Dassey that he had nothing to worry about. These repeated false promises, when considered in conjunction with all relevant factors, most especially Dassey's age, intellectual deficits, and the absence of a supportive adult, rendered Dassey's confession involuntary under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. The Wisconsin Court of Appeals' decision to the contrary was an unreasonable application of clearly established federal law.

http://fox11online.com/news/local/lakeshore/brendan-dasseys-conviction-overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom