• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brendan Dassey's conviction in Halbach homicide overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
All the other evidence has a single source as well: MaM. And they're biased as well.

According to Kratz, there was additional evidence presented at the trial. I'm not saying he's the most credible guy, but there's a court record for all this, and I doubt he fabricated things that can easily be fact checked by referring to the record.

Also, you have an extremely narrow definition of "evidence" if you think there was absolutely nothing that suggested Avery committed the crime.

I fell for that shit at first too, but the few things that have been checkable from what he said turned out to be fishy. Considering that, and the fact that most of the rest is circumstancial bullshit, there really isn't a reason to believe him about the rest given his track record of being a despicable rapey fuck himself

Nafai1123

Banned
He pretty clearly did if you read beyond what was shown in the documentary. There were more than one blood sample found at the junkyard.

None of the evidence presented in this case was "clear." To say otherwise is an admission of a preconcieved perception of guilt or innocence.

When it magically shows up on subsequent searches? When it's planted?
And also when its as if dexter came and did a clean up job of blood from everywhere that was supposed to have had it. Cleaned it so well that it wasn't even deep down in the concrete or on all the rusty, dusty junk.

Of course dexter wasn't there, Steven was who is k own to have a low iq and no access to cleaning materials that would get rid of blood (bleach doesn't work).

Audioboxer

For everyone saying it is clear please do reserve 1% of your judgement to the fact the lawyer he now has has a 100% perfect win ratio of overturning wrongful convictions. 18 cases I believe.

That and she has already said she has new evidence.

So yeah, for your own sake, keep that 1% reserved because there is without a doubt that chance Steven is going to walk again.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Hard to be happy about this considering how much of his life has been flushed down the toilet but glad justice has been done.

Ric Flair

Banned
None of the evidence presented in this case was "clear." To say otherwise is an admission of a preconcieved perception of guilt or innocence.
To believe he was innocent is to buy into the idea that the state of Wisconsin was after him, which is insane to me.

He pretty clearly did if you read beyond what was shown in the documentary. There were more than one blood sample found at the junkyard.
The only clear thing is how corrupt everyone in that town is and how much evidence they clearly planted in the "crime scenes". Nobody goes to such lengths unless they clearly sis not have any proof whatsoever that he committed the crime. I'm not saying there's absolutely no room for doubting, but saying it's clear he killed her.... come on!

To believe he was innocent is to buy into the idea that the state of Wisconsin was after him, which is insane to me.
We have seen time and time again of examples of police having vendettas against individuals so what's hard to believe that a small town wouldn't suffer from it and possibly even worse?

All it takes is for them to 'know' that someone is guilty and for a few to plant/tamper with some evidence and for the rest to not look too far into it because 'everyone knows that family is trouble so why wouldn't he be guilty'.

Audioboxer

Well he did have a massive fucking lawsuit with a big cash sum looming. I mean there was clear motive for the state being out to get him, its just up to his new lawyer to have evidence that proves that or at least proves his innocence and the state guilty of wrongful conviction.

And obviously by state we mean the individuals in law enforcement. You don't need to tie up every single person as being part of some conspiracy, just those that are guilty. As public officers they do represent the whole state though.

CHC

Wow at the people who think avery killed anyone.

As has been said, nothing here is "clear" whatsoever. Based on the evidence and the conduct of the investigators involved, Avery should absolutely not have been convicted. But there is a reason that our legal system uses the terminology "found not guilty" rather than "innocent."

The whole case was bungled, but I would never say with absolute certainty that Avery is innocent.

DukeBobby

Terrific news.

I was feeling pretty down after finishing the documentary earlier today, but this has cheered me up. I honestly could not stop shaking my head throughout the last few episodes.

Audioboxer

Terrific news.

I was feeling pretty down after finishing the documentary earlier today, but this has cheered me up. I honestly could not stop shaking my head throughout the last few episodes.

That first time finishing the documentary is a case for people around you being on suicide watch. Especially if you seen it when it came out without knowing anything of the case or the outcomes. How it ends is just a pit of despair.

Camwi

As has been said, nothing here is "clear" whatsoever. Based on the evidence and the conduct of the investigators involved, Avery should absolutely not have been convicted. But there is a reason that our legal system uses the terminology "found not guilty" rather than "innocent."

The whole case was bungled, but I would never say with absolute certainty that Avery is innocent.

Yep. There's too much weird shit either for or against his innocence, that I just can't see how anyone can be sure one way or the other.

Dassey, on the other hand, got fucked hard by the system. So glad he's getting out.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Yep. There's too much weird shit either for or against his innocence, that I just can't see how anyone can be sure one way or the other.

Dassey, on the other hand, got fucked hard by the system. So glad he's getting out.

Yeah, Brendan got the shitty end of the stick in all of this. He was innocent and used as a pawn the entire time.

Wow, this is amazing! I'm so happy he finally gets out. His lawyer was a POS who wanted money and made the boy confess to a crime he never committed, a fucking comic book worthy story with no evidence... His mom gets peace now.

Audioboxer

Wow, this is amazing! I'm so happy he finally gets out. His lawyer was a POS who wanted money and made the boy confess to a crime he never committed, a fucking comic book worthy story with no evidence... His mom gets peace now.

His parents are still alive and well right? One of the saddest things for me was thinking they're both going to pass with two sons in jail.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

it doesnt need to be the entire state. You also under estimate how much power one or two cops and a DA have. It doesnt take a whole lot of people to fuck someones life up.

You also forget the first episode which clearly outlined the county was in fact after Avery, with all the shit that happened in the first trial he was wrongly convicted for.

Believing he is not guilty does not mean he is innocent. The county messed up the investigation so much no way I could convict him beyond a reasonable doubt

Did you miss the part that showed Avery's blood vial was clearly tampered with, which showed a syringe puncture?
My understanding is the syringe puncture was not the suspicious part, though it was presented as such in the documentary. That's normal, when the blood is being put in the vial. The broken seal on the box though was suspicious. Dean Strang talks about that around 1h22m here: https://youtu.be/k5AZXBYbedw?t=4920

He also notes if I understand correctly that blood was between the glass and the seal which comes from extracting blood from the vial with a syringe, in the creation of a vacuum, and that lab didn't use syringes to extract blood: they would just open the vial (it was only meant to be put in by a syringe).

Awesome news. So happy for Brendan. That poor kid was steam rolled by the "justice" system. I hope he gets the help he needs to rebuild hiso life.

Oh, and Ken Lachinsky can get fucked.

Also, if Wisconsin wants to demonstrate a shred of integrity, they won't appeal this desicion.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Did you miss the part that showed Avery's blood vial was clearly tampered with, which showed a syringe puncture?

This syringe puncture bullshit needs to stop. Every one of those vials has a puncture at the top my design, that's how the blood is taken.

Deadstar

So if someone turns up missing and then they find the person dead, do you think it's fair you you to go to jail if they find a few droplets of the persons blood in your front yard? It proves nothing.

Wonder what Brendan thinks of Brock's recent run in WWE or AJ Styles.

Audioboxer

Awesome news. So happy for Brendan. That poor kid was steam rolled by the "justice" system. I hope he gets the help he needs to rebuild hiso life.

Oh, and Ken Lachinsky can get fucked.

Also, if Wisconsin wants to demonstrate a shred of integrity, they won't appeal this desicion.

I think they will put their tail between their legs with Brendan. Appealing his case is just... what? Out of the two convictions it was the most ridiculous.

Steven though... If Zellner gets his decision overturned they'll sure as hell fight it. That is unless another suspect can be found guilty. If she's just getting him off because the evidence was shitty and she can at least prove he didn't do it, they'll fight back for sure.

If you just watch MaM, it's easy to buy the filmmakers' spin that Avery was framed for a crime he didn't commit. When you start looking at all the facts that MaM didn't provide, though, everything becomes a little more fuzzy.

Given the evidence of seemingly obvious framing by the police, I question whether Avery should have been convicted, but there's still a strong likelihood that he committed the crime.

I think it's plausible Avery did it too, but I also think the police went a bit to far to get their conviction. Essentially, he could be guilty, but it should have been a mis-trial.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
True, though the box containing the blood vial was tampered with.

Agreed but apparently they had that covered in the real trial. I won't argue this, because people will say the women who claimed responsibility was a plant, like just about everything in this case, and I tend not to buy into conspiracies. I think it's possible, but unlikely.

The bigger problem is that the documentary portrayed that needle hole as unusual, which they KNEW not to be true, the lawyers themselves have admitted as much.

Also the supposed clickbait garbage from Katz, a lot of that IS true and was presented at trial. Again the lawyers address as much, but claim it didn't push the needle in either direction. We can't know that without having been at the trial.

Dalek

I like how people say "come on, are we supposed to believe the police would frame Stephen Avery?" WHEN THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN THE FIRST EPISODE WITH THAT RAPE TRIAL.

From what I've read Scott Tadych is the best alternate suspect. He has a history of violence towards women, including a restraining order and an arrest for assault. He tried to sell a .22 rifle after the murder (the same kind of rifle police say was the murder weapon). A co-worker said he was a "nervous wreck" after the murder and that he casually dropped that his laundry had got mixed up with "one of the boys" and that "their clothes had blood on". The 3 co-workers interviewed used all of these descriptors about him: very edgy, short-tempered, angry, a chronic liar, does not get along with many people, never know when he is going to blow up, a "psycho", capable of murder, acting weird and not himself, anti-law enforcement and not hooked up right. That's all from sheriff records of co-worker interviews, available online. His timeline doesn't match with other people's like the bus driver and nobody can corroborate his whereabouts at the time of the murder but his son-in-law, who are each others alibis. He also smiled before quickly trying to hide it when Brendan's verdict was read and told a reporter Avery's conviction was the "best thing that ever happened".

This is of course a theory, I'm not attempting to suggest he's guilty. I'm certainly not convinced Avery is innocent either. Like everything about this trial, it's all an unclear mess.

Audioboxer

From what I've read Scott Tadych is the best alternate suspect. He has a history of violence towards women, including a restraining order and an arrest for assault. He tried to sell a .22 rifle after the murder (the same kind of rifle police say was the murder weapon). A co-worker said he was a "nervous wreck" after the murder and that he casually dropped that his laundry had got mixed up with "one of the boys" and that "their clothes had blood on". The 3 co-workers interviewed used all of these descriptors about him: very edgy, short-tempered, angry, a chronic liar, does not get along with many people, never know when he is going to blow up, a "psycho", capable of murder, acting weird and not himself, anti-law enforcement and not hooked up right. That's all from sheriff records from of co-worker interviews, available online. His timeline doesn't match with other people's like the bus driver and nobody can corroborate his whereabouts at the time of the murder but his son-in-law, who are each others alibis. He also smiled before quickly trying to hide it when Brendan's verdict was read and told a reporter Avery's conviction was the "best thing that ever happened".

This is of course a theory, I'm not attempting to suggest he's guilty. I'm certainly not convinced Avery is innocent either. Like everything about this trial, it's all an unclear mess.

There are other plausible killers but it has to be proven which is the million dollar answer. Zellner technically could get him released just by proving he is innocent but that then leaves a murder case unsolved.

catbird

Neo Member
I feel Brendan is innocent, so this is good news.

Steven... Not guilty but like others said, wouldn't jump to innocent. I think she may have been killed on the compound by Steven or someone else but the cops had blinders on and made the conviction stick to Steven. Justice was not done for Theresa.

I am interested to see what Zellner has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom