• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brendan Dassey's conviction in Halbach homicide overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nairume

Banned
Also the supposed clickbait garbage from Katz, a lot of that IS true and was presented at trial. Again the lawyers address as much, but claim it didn't push the needle in either direction. We can't know that without having been at the trial.
Sure, some of that stuff is legit, again, regarding the clickbait stuff, a good chunk of that stuff was included in the documentary and some of it isn't even evidence as much as it is stuff regarding Avery's past that just says more that he's probably a terrible person, but not necessarily a murderer.

It says a lot about Kratz that's he has to resort to shotgunning shit like that out because he knows he legitimately looks bad after MaM even when you consider the clear slant of the documentary.

2MF

Awesome news!

It was so obvious from the recordings that he shouldn't have been imprisoned. They were feeding him the things they wanted him to say at every step...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
From what I've read Scott Tadych is the best alternate suspect. He has a history of violence towards women, including a restraining order and an arrest for assault. He tried to sell a .22 rifle after the murder (the same kind of rifle police say was the murder weapon). A co-worker said he was a "nervous wreck" after the murder and that he casually dropped that his laundry had got mixed up with "one of the boys" and that "their clothes had blood on". The 3 co-workers interviewed used all of these descriptors about him: very edgy, short-tempered, angry, a chronic liar, does not get along with many people, never know when he is going to blow up, a "psycho", capable of murder, acting weird and not himself, anti-law enforcement and not hooked up right. That's all from sheriff records from of co-worker interviews, available online. His timeline doesn't match with other people's like the bus driver and nobody can corroborate his whereabouts at the time of the murder but his son-in-law, who are each others alibis. He also smiled before quickly trying to hide it when Brendan's verdict was read and told a reporter Avery's conviction was the "best thing that ever happened".

This is of course a theory, I'm not attempting to suggest he's guilty. I'm certainly not convinced Avery is innocent either. Like everything about this trial, it's all an unclear mess.
i had not heard this, but i did suspect that the brother in law was involved.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm reminded of the West Memphis Three case, where all the convictions were overturned on the stipulation that they plead guilty and weren't allowed to sue the state. I hope Brendan isn't treated as terribly as that.

Oddduck

Woah that's huge. Great news.

With Brandon's conviction being overturned, and Steve Avery getting a new lawyer, Season 2 has potential to be very interesting.

My only thing with Avery is where the hell was the blood? Seems like it should have been everywhere.

Their should have been a lot of blood the poor women's body was complete destroyed. I think its reasonable to say the police never found the primary crime scene nor did they care as long as Steven Avery was convicted.

redlegs87

His attorney former from the case Len Kachinsky gave a statement.

"Magistrate Judge Duffin reversed Dassey's conviction on the suppression issue I litigated before leaving the case. I preserved that issue for appeal so that his future attorneys might raise it like they did. Even though Dassey and I parted ways on how he should proceed, I did my job and enabled Dassey's future attorneys to do theirs. The next step will probably be up to the 7th Circuit as the State will likely appeal."

The balls on this guy.

finalflame

i don't know how anyone can think avery is innocent.

good news on dassey. his potential involvement was the real story to me.
I can't see how anyone would be dense enough to think he's guilty with as many essential missing pieces. You need to have a desire to believe he's guilty.

Glad Brendan is free. Gross miscarriage of justice.

iLLmAtlc

I'm a Canadian but is this opinion safe? It looks like the judge didn't show much deference. He basically said every Wisconsin judge who looked at this got it wrong and that's surely gonna be controversial.

Also how common is it for Federal judges to re-apply the legal test? Because that's what it looks like. Judge says Wisconsin judges should have found promise with x facts and that doesn't just look like a review, but a re-weighing.

But I kinda hope Wisconsin could look at this more objectively after 10 years and not appeal.

gogosox82

This is amazing news. Its a shame that he ever had to stand trial in the first place and then convicted with literally no evidence expect for a shitty confession that no one with any common sense could take seriously and later recanted on.

nilbog21

Banned
I'm actually in the middle of watching this show, on episode 5, and I've never wanted to jump in the screen and murder someone as much as Len Kachinsky. Feel really bad for this kid who is completely clueless

HORRORSHØW

"Magistrate Judge Duffin reversed Dassey's conviction on the suppression issue I litigated before leaving the case. I preserved that issue for appeal so that his future attorneys might raise it like they did. Even though Dassey and I parted ways on how he should proceed, I did my job and enabled Dassey's future attorneys to do theirs. The next step will probably be up to the 7th Circuit as the State will likely appeal."

The balls on this guy.
what a hero

Permanently A

From what I've read Scott Tadych is the best alternate suspect. He has a history of violence towards women, including a restraining order and an arrest for assault. He tried to sell a .22 rifle after the murder (the same kind of rifle police say was the murder weapon). A co-worker said he was a "nervous wreck" after the murder and that he casually dropped that his laundry had got mixed up with "one of the boys" and that "their clothes had blood on". The 3 co-workers interviewed used all of these descriptors about him: very edgy, short-tempered, angry, a chronic liar, does not get along with many people, never know when he is going to blow up, a "psycho", capable of murder, acting weird and not himself, anti-law enforcement and not hooked up right. That's all from sheriff records of co-worker interviews, available online. His timeline doesn't match with other people's like the bus driver and nobody can corroborate his whereabouts at the time of the murder but his son-in-law, who are each others alibis. He also smiled before quickly trying to hide it when Brendan's verdict was read and told a reporter Avery's conviction was the "best thing that ever happened".

This is of course a theory, I'm not attempting to suggest he's guilty. I'm certainly not convinced Avery is innocent either. Like everything about this trial, it's all an unclear mess.

That fucking smile is giving me chills.

The balls on this guy.

What happened with the O Kelly guy? The one that manipulated Brendan into drawing pictures of the rape and writing a confession and stuff? His fucking defense coercing their own client into confessing?

Dalek

I'm actually in the middle of watching this show, on episode 5, and I've never wanted to jump in the screen and murder someone as much as Len Kachinsky. Feel really bad for this kid who is completely clueless

You ain't seen nothing yet. And I'm not exaggerating.

danthefan

The balls on this guy.

He really is complete scum isn't he?

KarmaCow

Absolutely ludicrous he was ever convicted considering how he was not only taken advantage of by everyone in his life but that his conviction was based on narrative for the murder that runs counter to the narrative that got Stephen convicted.

Audioboxer

The balls on this guy.

What a bell-end.

Audioboxer

Can we get some love for Colburn instead then?

9X8b5jr.jpg

danthefan

Don't forget Kratz too, he had to resign from his job because he was caught sexually harassing a domestic violence victim that reached out for legal help (and 2 more women).

Yeah I know, and as unpleasant as that is, it's a totally separate issue to Brendan Dassey's conviction. I didn't like Katz at all in the documentary but I thought he just did what prosecutors do, you wouldn't really expect anything else. Kachinsky actively worked against his client.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sure, some of that stuff is legit, again, regarding the clickbait stuff, a good chunk of that stuff was included in the documentary and some of it isn't even evidence as much as it is stuff regarding Avery's past that just says more that he's probably a terrible person, but not necessarily a murderer.

It says a lot about Kratz that's he has to resort to shotgunning shit like that out because he knows he legitimately looks bad after MaM even when you consider the clear slant of the documentary.

Stuff like him requesting her specifically is significant. Stuff like the phone calls using *67 is a big deal, ESPECIALLY since he called her without that around 4:35. That stuff, while circumstantial is significant.

Permanently A

Stuff like him requesting her specifically is significant. Stuff like the phone calls using *67 is a big deal, ESPECIALLY since he called her without that around 4:35. That stuff, while circumstantial is significant.

Jerry Buting refuted that evidence saying Avery also called the office, and it makes no sense for him to call the office and leave a paper trail if he was intending to kill Teresa.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jerry Buting refuted that evidence saying Avery also called the office, and it makes no sense for him to call the office and leave a paper trail if he was intending to kill Teresa.

He didn't refute it happened he just said that it's not valuable given he wouldn't leave a paper trail. I think that's stupid to believe given the guys iq level.

Edit- and yes he KNEW the license plate... Of course they did. That call sounded like he was confirming paperwork.

Edit-. I also love that you dismiss the phone calls because he wouldn't wNt to leave a paper trail... Yet you think colburn WOULD want to leave a paper trail.

Erigu

Plus, can you really argue Avery was scheming, actively trying to hide who he was, when the appointment was at the Avery yard, on Avery road?

Dalek

Plus, can you really argue Avery was scheming, actively trying to hide who he was, when the appointment was at the Avery yard, on Avery road?

As someone said, to believe that Avery committed the murder requires you to believe that he is simultaneously the smartest and dumbest murderer alive. He's going to schedule an appointment with this woman at his own house on a road named after himself and then hide her vehicle on his property right next to the road with a few branches covering it.

But he's skilled enough to completely remove all traces of blood and DNA from the fabric of his bed, the walls of his bedroom and the messy carpet-and also remove all blood traces and brain matter from every square inch of the incredibly cluttered and dusty garage full of machinery.

He's a brilliant dummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom