• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit: Boris Johnson rules himself out of Conservative leader race

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostjoke

Banned
tumblr_nw205dVhc31s3uawvo1_r1_400.gif

Weckum

I'm pretty sure Boris tried to usurp David Cameron but hoped the Remain-camp would win in a very close victory. However, Leave unexpectedly won which put him in a shitty position. This is amazing.

driver116

This is absolutely embarrasing. I'm not British, but if I were I would be losing my shit right now. I mean, how much of a cocksplat do you have to be to support a campaign that you know would ruin the fucking country, just because you think you'd lose and it will help you become PM, and then when shit hits the fan, leave like a fucking coward.

Disgraceful. Boris should be fucking deported to Siberia.

Running for PM is not all about being a good leader, but about being well supported. Gove was supposed to be Johnson's no 2 man, but decided to run for leader at the last minute. It would be like Cameron without Osborne, Blair without Brown or to an extent Major without Heseltine.

I'm pretty sure Boris tried to usurp David Cameron but hoped the Remain-camp would win in a very close victory. However, Leave unexpectedly won which put him in a shitty position. This is amazing.

I don't think he wanted to usurp him. Cameron had announced that he would stand down before the next election. Boris just wanted to get some credit with the conservative base before the next tory leadership election. Obviously never really expected leave to win.

Hazzuh

He probably did the right thing from his own selfish POV. He has an excuse for not running, Gove stabbed him in the back. If he carried on he probably wouldn't have won even if he got down to a 1v1 against May. Now he can be the gathering point for everyone unhappy about the way the EU deal shakes out saying that he would have done better if only Gove didn't ruin it.

F1Fan

Banned
Cameron screwed Boris, by not activating article 50.

Boris knew this and that's why I think he dropped out of the race. I never believed Boris really wanted to leave, but he definitely wanted the PM job.

Its a lose, lose situation with who ever is the next PM. Either activate article 50 and go down in history as a PM who likely screwed the UK with Scotland highly likely to leave or ignore the referendum and go down as a PM who ignored democracy.

Not surprised by this at all. Simply looking at the body language/reaction after the result of genuine leaver campaigners, e.i Farage, who were ecstatic and then look at Boris. He almost looked like one of his family member died that day. I think the result really surprised him and it's not what he wanted in reality.

Geist-

That man in the background looks remarkably similar to Chris Roberts of Star Citizen fame. XD

Anyway, looks like no one is going to have the balls to actually go through with Article 50. Congrats UK, you're a laughing stock of the whole world, but at least you're politicians are too cowardly to actually go through with fucking your country.

Jezbollah

Depends on who gets in. Some will honour the referendum, some won't.

If anyone gets in and doesn't follow up on the referendum they are committing career suicide, as well as a constitutional crisis. It's too toxic for it not to happen.

As for Boris, he's fucked himself royally. And it's doubtful he'll be taken seriously if he tries to run again for party leader in the future. He has been outplayed by everyone around him.

Raised on a council estate by a single mother, he has a back story to which many Tory MPs are attracted.

It's true, many Tory MPs are attracted to children on council estates.

I think May would be the best choice for electoral success, but Gove would be my preferred option. Generally speaking I think he's pretty earnest and has a strong drive towards social mobility.

Wow, isn't this what he was gunning for?

Cameron really shit on the buffet tray on his way out didn't he...

He was gunning for it to ride the wave of nationalism that hit after the EU referendum failed and UK remained.

In this reality, however, he noped the fuck out.

Jeels

He was never a leader in the first place, just a clown. And now he can't even step it up after the mess he's made.

I originally thought this was just a case of Boris biding his time, letting someone else do the dirty work and then sweeping in (and that might still happen) but I really don't think he saw Gove knifing him in the back like that. Gove is a master of the machiavellian isn't he? This whole episode has more than a touch of GOT doesn't it? Gove is very much a littlefinger.

heidern

The backstabbing may be fake and this was planned between Boris and Gove. Boris doesn't have to trigger Article 50 now, Gove is unelectable(especially as Boris and his allies have a free pass to oppose him) so he won't have to trigger article 50 either. Both are off the hook. They can then both go back to being underdogs/rebels in the next phase. Gove will be happy with that, Boris gets the sympathy for being backstabbed so he has license to make a comeback at some point.

Jackpot

Banned
Is this really a bad thing? I mean doesn't this show how flawed Brexit use?

It's good we won't have him as the next PM, though of course he'll still try for it later on. But to so blatantly wash his hands of a mess he created is adding insult to injury. He's essentially admitted the whole Referendum was for personal political benefit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Remember when the British used to laugh at Americans because of Trump? Good times...

Having an idiot in the Whitehouse is nothing new and kinda funny, that being said Trump isn't a laughing matter.

Brexit is going to be a whole lot of fucking nothing in the long-term.

There aren't many positives in British politics at the moment, but the hilarious, preposterous failure of Project Boris- not just a current failure, but one that surely salts the earth for him EVER being Prime Minister- is a precious crumb of comfort.

This all reminds me of the snow we had years ago, the moment we get 2 inches of snow everything goes into chaos because no one knows what to do.

backstep

Neo Member
Yeah I don't know why anyone thinks this is Boris getting screwed by the referendum result and so backing down. He can't run for the leadership now because his good friend Gove stole enough support to prevent him winning it. It was a backstab.

You really ought to be more concerned about May becoming PM, and the ensuing police state. Vita owners, better burn all those games now before they track you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom