• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit: Boris Johnson rules himself out of Conservative leader race

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

MIchael Gove has looked good at the Justice Ministry because he's reversed some of what Chris Grayling did, and Chris Grayling has gone down in civil servant circles already as one of the single most inept and useless ministers to have ever graced a department. The guy was THAT bad.

Well the good news is that Grayling (which sounds like something Tolkien or Martin would come up with) is the frontrunner to be May's Minister for Brexit.

Maledict

That does actually cheer me up. We want someone so completely incompetent in the role that any deal is totally unacceptable and we have to back out.

It's hard to overemphasise how bad he was.

Hasney

Well the good news is that Grayling (which sounds like something Tolkien or Martin would come up with) is the frontrunner to be May's Minister for Brexit.

That does actually cheer me up. We want someone so completely incompetent in the role that any deal is totally unacceptable and we have to back out.

It's hard to overemphasise how bad he was.

Yup. For those not in the know, here's a fun article:

Is Chris Grayling the most incompetent member of the government?

It’s often said that all political careers end in failure, it just seems that Grayling’s seems to failing before it has ended.

If you haven't read this brilliant piece yet about the supposed 'cuckoo nest plot' to oust Boris, it's well worth a read!

How Boris Johnson was brought to his knees by the 'cuckoo nest plot'

Makes a lot more sense why he'd just suddenly collapse and say he's not running for PM.

lol
telegraph said:
Mr Johnson did not wait for questions at the end of his speech. He left the room, using a door whose emergency exit sign had shrewdly (and probably illegally) been covered up with white card by his team to avoid the obvious photo opportunity.

So is Johnson backing May now?

Drencrom

So this is the "man" the majority of England put their faith in?

VysaGwn.png

Goddamn

Smart move by Boris. This whole Brexit was his gamble for power, but now that Cameron has left without triggering Article 50, the issue has become a hot potato that is going to burn the next PM who comes in.

Trigger it and be damned as the person who put the UK back into recession and forced us behind economically for almost a decade.

Don't trigger it and call for a second ref, be the person that rejected the opinion of just over half the population.

However you look at it, this is almost certainly political suicide. Boris probably things he can still salvage the situation if he waits till the next election. All the while playing down his involvement.

Hasney

The water cannon Boris bought for £200k as Mayor of London before it was ever cleared for use is being sold. So London will see some nice pocket change at least.

Sean C

Gove: I did almost everything to avoid Tory leadership bid:
Michael Gove has said he did “almost everything” he could to avoid running for the Conservative leadership but was left with no choice after realising Boris Johnson was not the right person for the job.

Launching his bid to replace David Cameron amid accusations that he betrayed his ally, the justice secretary said he loved Britain and wanted to “embrace this opportunity for change with optimism”.

“I never thought I’d ever be in this position. I did not want it, indeed I did almost everything not be a candidate for the leadership of this party,” he said in a speech.

“I was so very reluctant because I know my limitations. Whatever charisma is, I don’t have it; whatever glamour may be, I don’t think anyone could ever associate me with it. But – at every step in my political life – I’ve asked myself one question: what is the right thing to do? What does your heart tell you?”

Hmm, I think I've seen that speech before:

"Will you enforce me to a world of cares?
Call them again. I am not made of stone,
But penetrable to your kind entreats,
Albeit against my conscience and my soul.
Cousin of Buckingham, and sage, grave men,
Since you will buckle fortune on my back,
To bear her burden, whe'er I will or no,
I must have patience to endure the load.
But if black scandal or foul-faced reproach,
Attend the sequel of your imposition,
Your mere enforcement shall acquittance me
From all the impure blots and stains thereof;
For God doth know, and you may partly see,
How far I am from the desire of this." (Richard III, Act 3, Scene 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom