• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Detox

ColonialRaptor said:
I just checked the price for this game on Steam... $89.99 in Australia.

Well, that's an absurd waste of money that I'm not willing to pay.

I want to play this game, but unfortunately not enough to pay full AUS price for it (especially when it's the equivalent to someone in the US paying $90 USD for it).

I will either import and wait 3 or 4 weeks for it to arrive in the mail... or wait until it drops in price here.

Judging my finances at the moment, I'm probably going to be waiting for a while.

Will probably hire it the week of launch though, thankfully I think you can still do that here (haven't done it for a lowng while).
You could ask someone in this thread to gift it to you from the US.

Edit - Okay, I checked the price on Direct2Drive and that's a much better proposition at $44.99 and is leading me towards a purchase - but I have REAL indecision when buying anything digitally that is not through Steam. I feel like I don't really own it when it's through some other sort of system.

I wish there were some way to tie the download to my Steam account for this. I know, I know it sounds backwards but it's just this thing I have. I usually find it difficult enough to buy a digital copy of a game and not the physical copy - but this kind of saving is almost too good to resist so I have to figure out how I'm going to push myself across the line and make the purchase. :( If I use the 'BUNNY' voucher code on D2D can I still use that for Witcher 2? Maybe I'll buy Witcher 2 first and then Brink if I can still use the voucher on that (hopefully that deal is still running by Thursday when I get paid for this week in order to make a couple of purchases).
Good news for you (and bad news for Joseph Merrick) is that you're forced to tie your key to Steam in order to play it, it's a Steamworks title. You can buy it anywhere.

I have it pre-ordered from D2D and we'll get our keys sometime near launch, after that you just add it to Steam and you're set to go.

Actually I don't know why I have been ignoring this for so long? I guess I always confuse it with Rage. It's goddamn SPLASH DAMAGE doing a MP WITH ET CLASSES.

If this has stopwatch and is even sort of good I am so buying this. Please tell me that medics have medipacks instead of regenerating health? edit: apparently yes, if I understood OP right.

PetriP-TNT said:
Actually I don't know why I have been ignoring this for so long? I guess I always confuse it with Rage. It's goddamn SPLASH DAMAGE doing a MP WITH ET CLASSES.

If this has stopwatch and is even sort of good I am so buying this.
I'm 99% sure it does, finding any type of sure info for this game is a bitch though. :p

Anyway I hope stopwatch will be played more on pubs than it was in QW, though I think they're skipping the 3-map campaign model for this one. In that case stopwatch should be more prevalent outside clan play.
Please tell me that medics have medipacks instead of regenerating health? edit: apparently yes, if I understood OP right.
Medics have a healing buff that'll restore your health and extend your lifebar, you don't disperse medpacks, you point and click. Your regular health will always regenerate but the buff will not.

Danne-Danger said:
I'm 99% sure it does, finding any type of sure info for this game is a bitch though. :p

Anyway I hope stopwatch will be played more on pubs than it was in QW, though I think they're skipping the 3-map campaign model for this one. In that case stopwatch should be more prevalent outside clan play.

Medics have a healing buff that'll restore your health and extend your lifebar, you don't disperse medpacks, you point and click. Your regular health will always regenerate but the buff will not.

Cool, thanks for the answers!

Emitan

It's a Steamworks game. If you buy from D2D it still goes onto your Steam account.

Health only regenerates to a certain percent, I think. Like if you're at below 25% you can only regenerate up to 25%.

I think this game is going to be the next surprise hit kind of like Borderlands was. I loved Borderlands, even more so when I became level 20ish or so. If they can keep pumping out great DLC like BL did, this one will have some legs.

PIMPBYBLUD said:
If they can keep pumping out great DLC like BL did, this one will have some legs.
Yeah, they haven't said anything about it to my knowledge but my bet would be free maps financed by paid skin/customization DLC. At least I don't think SD would do it any other way if they have the final say, and the game is perfectly suited for it.

Billychu said:
No way they're making us pay for maps. Wasn't an editor confirmed?
They've talked about it yeah. Something along the lines of "we're aiming to release one at a later date". But things can change!

Emitan

Danne-Danger said:
They've talked about it yeah. Something along the lines of "we're aiming to release one at a later date". But things can change!
I hope they're not avoiding a release date for it so they can cancel it after the game is out. But Bethesda did the same thing with Fallout 3's editor only for it to come out just as planned.

Sanic

It would be nice to have a couple extra admins for the Steam group, for announcements and such. If you're certain you're getting the game and are interested, let me know.

It's probably a long shot, but it would also be great if we can get a server going as well. I don't have the money to buy one at the moment, but I wouldn't have a problem maintaining it if needed. If anyone can help out with this, let me know.

Emitan

Violater said:
So without a demo, how am I supposed to know if I will enjoy this game?
This thread.

If the game is good, we should set up a donation for a GAF server. That sounds much better than one person footing the bill.

Klocker

Im in (360). Only hoping for this to be executed well. Lack of demo is concerning and if bot/sp plays as smart as they claim I may not even mind if the community ends up being small.

LA Noir was on my list but now im getting this followed by dirt 3. l noir will be a used purchase now

Raide

Looking forward to the launch weekend. It will be good to play the game with some real players. I wonder how many people will complain about the game when they try and play it like CoD?

Medic!

derFeef

Some avatars. Would have loved to make some class based with icons, but media is sparse for this game.

99539f8e.png
918db19f.png
9b0867f1.png
8a826378.png
9e6de738.png
65afaeda.png
fa0fb887.png
e76e18f1.png
0868029c.png
03d91243.png
79a5a2a0.png
5b7414de.png
ba156573.png
0cb56000.png
c3d61f98.png
dc11e96e.png
81b8b7ed.png
95ddc34d.png
1bd87346.png
cf696e78.png
df64de54.png

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Played this at PAX last year and loved it.

The devs even had my friend and I ease up a bit because we were winning so handedly that our demo would have ended in like 5 minutes as opposed to the 15.

Game was very easy to pick up and dive right in.

Deadly Cyclone said:

The devs even had my friend and I ease up a bit because we were winning so handedly that our demo would have ended in like 5 minutes as opposed to the 15.

stuff like this makes me even more excited

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Deadly Cyclone said:

How would you compare it to say CS, TF2 and Enemy Territory.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Doc Holliday said:
How would you compare it to say CS, TF2 and Enemy Territory.

It definitely has a TF2 vibe to it just based on the classes. The shooting is more akin to CoD, albeit a bit different in its own way.

The movement was for sure the part I liked best. It was so easy to use the SMART system just to vault over things and slide around, definitely adds a new element to shooters.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
bangai-o said:
go to local video store. Rent the game.
A video store? What's the weather like in 2003?

Deadly Cyclone said:
It definitely has a TF2 vibe to it just based on the classes. The shooting is more akin to CoD, albeit a bit different in its own way.

The movement was for sure the part I liked best. It was so easy to use the SMART system just to vault over things and slide around, definitely adds a new element to shooters.
I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing, I hope GF can ship this quickly.

Spookie

Billychu said:
If the game is good, we should set up a donation for a GAF server. That sounds much better than one person footing the bill.

I'll likely get a EU GAF server up for pre release so we can fill it and get a community going sooner. It's only going to be what £20? Donations would be nice though to keep it going if the mods permit ofc.

Are there any impressions on how this game is shaping up? I don't think there's been anything regarding how good or bad it might be which is very strange considering the release date.

Top Bottom