• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

demolitio

Ikkarus said:
The way team play should be rewarded if you ask me.
Agreed. I always thought you should get a shitload of points for doing the objective in games like BC2, S4, etc. SOCOM gives you a decent amount, but with the modern day gamer, you need to really entice them to do the objective instead of sitting in a corner and going for 25 kills in a row. :p

Tadale

I'm excited, but I can't get over the character designs. I think they're pretty awful, like "jugallo the game."

Tadale said:
I'm excited, but I can't get over the character designs. I think they're pretty awful, like "jugallo the game."

it will make shooting the jugallos a lot more rewarding then if they were just regular soldiers!

Raide

Tadale said:

Yeah, they are a little odd but they did say in a Dev Video that they wanted to have a style that people could say "Thats Brink" just like you can with something like Borderlands. The cartoon photo-realism takes a while to get use to but I won't notice when I am healing people up and shooting stuff in the face. :D

Tadale

Raide said:
Yeah, they are a little odd but they did say in a Dev Video that they wanted to have a style that people could say "Thats Brink" just like you can with something like Borderlands. The cartoon photo-realism takes a while to get use to but I won't notice when I am healing people up and shooting stuff in the face. :D

The cartoony style and color pallet doesn't bother me, I actually really like it and I think the game looks great. It's the characters that irk me.

Palmer_v1

I get a french vibe from the way the faces look, though I'm not sure why. Maybe it's cause they seem to have such long faces, it sort of reminds me of Jean Reno.

aHyNHMV3lc1wf3b75PegOMwW_400.jpg

ShdwDrake

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Lol wut? Not everyone jumps to the next generic dude bro shooter.

I hear about this happening on the 360 all the time. Like if one game is just kinda active when the next game comes out old game is DAN.

Raide

I Pre-ordered from the UK and GAME has the Doom and Spec Ops Pack bundled. Is that the same for everyone else? Hopefully we can get access to the other pre-order sets at some point.

Ikkarus

Raide said:
I Pre-ordered from the UK and GAME has the Doom and Spec Ops Pack bundled. Is that the same for everyone else? Hopefully we can get access to the other pre-order sets at some point.
It will no doubt be released as DLC months down the line. I think GAME, Play and Amazon are the only ones offering packs for pre-ordering in the UK.

Palmer_v1

DeanoCalver said:
Artistic Director is french, which might explain the french vibe.

That could definitely explain it.

I hadn't thought about it, but there's no easy way to tell what class an enemy is in this game. Coming from TF2, that seems weird. How can I focus fire the medics if I can't tell who they are!?

Palmer_v1 said:

I hadn't thought about it, but there's no easy way to tell what class an enemy is in this game. Coming from TF2, that seems weird. How can I focus fire the medics if I can't tell who they are!?

I hope that is the case, the harder core the better.

Raide

Ikkarus said:
It will no doubt be released as DLC months down the line. I think GAME, Play and Amazon are the only ones offering packs for pre-ordering in the UK.

Play = Fallout
Amazon = Psycho
GAME = Spec Ops & Doom. (How did they swing that?)

I wonder if the code is in with the game or if GAME will do the usual thing and hand out codes? If they give out codes and they are not region specific, I will see if I can grab a few for Brink-GAF.

Ikkarus

Raide said:
Play = Fallout
Amazon = Psycho
GAME = Spec Ops & Doom. (How did they swing that?)

I wonder if the code is in with the game or if GAME will do the usual thing and hand out codes? If they give out codes and they are not region specific, I will see if I can grab a few for Brink-GAF.
It will be emailed I believe. Looks like GAME persuaded Bethesda a little more than the others by the looks of things.

If you do manage to grab multiple codes that would be awesome!

Falagard

Palmer_v1 said:

I'm sure there's some way to tell the classes apart, right? Hrm.

Raide

Palmer_v1 said:

For friendly players it shows a little symbol by their Health Bar. I think it works the same for the enemy. I can see a little symbol next to the enemy HP bar but cannot make out exactly what it is.

Tawpgun

Ugh this game looks so good but if there was ever a game to have a public Beta/demo....

I'm just scared of possible networking problems and the community dying. Game design looks perfect.

So basically you can tell what class the enemy players are through them using the perks specific to said classes out in the world.

At least thats how I hope it works, that would add much more gameplay depth than having them instantly recognizable like tf2.

It's not really much of a concern because the team dynamic is different. Medics in ET/Brink aren't constantly healing people like a TF2 medic, are they?

Beardz

Somebody said Shadowrun (fps) fans where excited for this game, is that true? I'm asking this because Shadowrun is one of my favorite FPS of all time.

Teknopathetic said:
It's not really much of a concern because the team dynamic is different. Medics in ET/Brink aren't constantly healing people like a TF2 medic, are they?

I don't think they can buff or revive nearly as often as TF2 medics, no. IIRC each action has a healthy pip cost / recharge time - somebody help me out here.

charsace

Teknopathetic said:
I thought the medics dropped packs in W:ET?

Beardz said:
Somebody said Shadowrun (fps) fans where excited for this game, is that true? I'm asking this because Shadowrun is one of my favorite FPS of all time.
I would imagine so since the character types seem to have stats. Shadowrun and Monday Night Combat are the multi games I play the most.

Raide

Teknopathetic said:

With the delay for using abilities, its not like any of the classes will be able to spam their abilities like a TF2 Medic does. Just kill the one who shoots more bullets at you. :D

Also, I saw a Grenade Launcher in one video, do they have any other explosive weapons?

derFeef

charsace said:
I thought the medics dropped packs in W:ET?
The TF2 medics are constantly healing/buffing the player.
Health pickups and small buffs are nothing compared do that (and I like that!)

charsace

Teknopathetic said:
"I thought the medics dropped packs in W:ET?"

They did, but it wasn't constant health regeneration like the medic gun.
Its been a while since I played it. I thought they also had a some type of timer that you had to wait out before dropping more health?

derFeef said:
I know this. I actually like the medic more in Monday night combat.

MMaRsu

Beardz said:

Same...

Palmer_v1

DeanoCalver said:
There are lots of perks and class talents, that enable you to get info on your friends and enemies.

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but have you had hands on time with the game or what? Just curious.

Raide

derFeef said:

I suspect there will be perks later to speed up class skills.

steadfast

scorpscarx said:
So basically you can tell what class the enemy players are through them using the perks specific to said classes out in the world.

At least thats how I hope it works, that would add much more gameplay depth than having them instantly recognizable like tf2.

From the videos they've been posting, it looks like there are subtle differences like backpacks, vests, bandoleers and weird body armor that will probably give small visual queues, but nothing like in TF2.

abundant

Genesis Knight said:
I don't think they can buff or revive nearly as often as TF2 medics, no. IIRC each action has a healthy pip cost / recharge time - somebody help me out here.
Each ability has a cooldown timer plus their is a supply meter that restricts how may abilities can be used (It recharges over time).

I suspect there will be perks later to speed up class skills.
There is an ability to gain one extra supply pip.

Kholdstare

Found me a winner.
65afaeda.png

Beardz said:

Yes! Both me and a few friends were huge into Shadowrun and we cannot wait for this game. Unique types of movement in games is always a good thing.

cackhyena

I was so hyped for this game for such a long time. Lost it. Gonna wait to see what the reviews are like along with any price drops a fucking week after release, as it seems to be the norm with games I'm into atm.

Palmer_v1

Beardz said:

Part of my interest is that it seems to come closer to that Shadowrun style than any other shooter has since. I've heard that from other people as well.

Raide said:
With the delay for using abilities, its not like any of the classes will be able to spam their abilities like a TF2 Medic does. Just kill the one who shoots more bullets at you. :D

Also, I saw a Grenade Launcher in one video, do they have any other explosive weapons?

I think the operative can plant charges on the ground that are invisible without certain perks. If you DO see an enemy IED of any kind, you can iron sight it to have it automatically announce it for your teammates to see from then on.

As for the ability pips/recharge time, there are perks that definitely increase the max pips, as well as the recharge speed. There's also command posts in each map that grant either extra health, or extra supply to your entire team as long as you control it.

charsace said:
Is this game as fast as W:ET?

Going purely on movement speed I'd have said yes a few months ago. But recent videos seem to suggest that it's been slowed down a little, but I could be mistaken. It still seems reasonably fast though.

Beardz

Kholdstare said:
Yes! Both me and a few friends were huge into Shadowrun and we cannot wait for this game. Unique types of movement in games is always a good thing.

Palmer_v1 said:
Part of my interest is that it seems to come closer to that Shadowrun style than any other shooter has since. I've heard that from other people as well.

Well, I going to buy this game. :D

Kholdstare

Whenever I'm super psyched for a game that's about to come out (like I am with Brink), I find it really hard to play any other game because they all of a sudden feel so stale and boring. One week to go and I have no idea what game I should be playing right now to take up some of my time.

I think I'm going to focus all my energy to getting a Gears of War 3 beta code. WoW and Battlefield 2 Bad Company are not cutting it for me right now.

Top Bottom