• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Mr. Hyde

dc11e96e.png

I'll take this if no one else has yet.

Thanks!

Group of friends and I are waiting to pull the trigger on this, but will probably wait for reviews first. Doesn't this game have 8 player co-op in a sense that the "campaign mode" can have you and 7 of your friends fight against the AI? I remember reading this somewhere but it was a long time ago.

Haklong

I really want to get this game day one but I'm torn on which version to get. Most of my real life friends are getting the 360 version but I really want the PC one. It all depends on the long term community. 6 months from now will more people be playing it on Steam or 360...

CrazedArabMan said:
Group of friends and I are waiting to pull the trigger on this, but will probably wait for reviews first. Doesn't this game have 8 player co-op in a sense that the "campaign mode" can have you and 7 of your friends fight against the AI? I remember reading this somewhere but it was a long time ago.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can have a match be any combination of real players and bots up to 8v8. (More for PC)

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can have a match be any combination of real players and bots up to 8v8. (More for PC)

I just checked the official site and yeah that is correct, it also stated you can do the campaign with 8 friends as well if I'm not mistaken. Or that might have just been like bot matches or something. Still having the co-op is always a plus in my book.

derFeef

Pandoracell said:
It would be nice to have a couple extra admins for the Steam group, for announcements and such. If you're certain you're getting the game and are interested, let me know.

It's probably a long shot, but it would also be great if we can get a server going as well. I don't have the money to buy one at the moment, but I wouldn't have a problem maintaining it if needed. If anyone can help out with this, let me know.
I would gladly help out. I would also even donate to EU servers if the game proves to be awesome.

iNvid02

Haklong said:
I really want to get this game day one but I'm torn on which version to get. Most of my real life friends are getting the 360 version but I really want the PC one. It all depends on the long term community. 6 months from now will more people be playing it on Steam or 360...

6 months a new call of duty will be out, 360 will be like a desert

rac

Banned
Mr. Hyde said:
What is the cheapest price going for the PC version? The cheapest I've found, so far, is $44.99 at D2D.
The cheapest I have seen is 39$ from d2d during president or easter sale.

Joined the steam group. Really like that grenades are cooldown.

iNvidious01 said:

You being sarcastic or serious? I was thinking it would hold onto a core population like RDR or something... If we're talking FEAR 2 or Unreal III then geez...

Raide

Genesis Knight said:
You being sarcastic or serious? I was thinking it would hold onto a core population like RDR or something... If we're talking FEAR 2 or Unreal III then geez...

If the developers follow up with content at a good pace and not charge huge amounts for it, the community will still be there. Sadly with games like BF3 appearing this year, that will certainly drag away some gamers.

Do we know if the game is built only around the multiple objectives in one map or are they adding things like CTF and KotH at a later date?

Raide said:
If the developers follow up with content at a good pace and not charge huge amounts for it, the community will still be there. Sadly with games like BF3 appearing this year, that will certainly drag away some gamers.

Do we know if the game is built only around the multiple objectives in one map or are they adding things like CTF and KotH at a later date?

There's never been a mention of CTF or KoTH ever that I remember. Did the last ETQW ever have those? I know ET did with mods at least.

Emitan

So far I think its only those objectives. The PC version should have some more traditional maps when the editor comes out.

Sanic

Spookie said:
I'll likely get a EU GAF server up for pre release so we can fill it and get a community going sooner. It's only going to be what £20? Donations would be nice though to keep it going if the mods permit ofc.

I don't see why there would be a problem with the administration, but for 20 euros? Are you talking the price of just a month or two?

I would gladly help out. I would also even donate to EU servers if the game proves to be awesome.

Done. You're an admin now.

Adam Blue

Man, I cannot decide on PC or 360. PC, it will look and play fantastic, as do most multi-platform games I get on PC. But on the 360, I'll be able to play with my bro, easily pop the disc in and sit on my couch, with the ease of Live. And it's easy to find the PC version cheaper.

Raide

Genesis Knight said:
There's never been a mention of CTF or KoTH ever that I remember. Did the last ETQW ever have those? I know ET did with mods at least.

I think it was the basic mode and a timed assault style mode. CTF could be a bit hectic if you let people use SMART with a flag. :D Could lead to some funny chases. KotH might work a bit better, possibly if they make the hill move randomly to prevent too much camping with items.

Another thing, have they talked about how big these maps are? I keep seeing the same footage over and over but have no real idea how big each of these maps are.

Genesis Knight said:
They won't be in, and they weren't in QW either outside of user created maps.

That said, the objectives tend to be very varied, QW had objectives similar to reversed CTF, I'm sure you'll get to act the role of a parkour carrier at some points on some maps.

iNvidious01 said:

For people that really enjoy and play team based objective shooters that will only be a great exodus of undesirables, if it happens, trust me.

Randy

Really reminds me of Killzone 2/3 in a way, only with a more interesting universe. The whole "dynamic objectives" and the overall look'n'feel of the game just seem really similar (and that's a good thing according to my standards).

Raide

Anerythristic said:
I am going to be a machine gun brandishing heavy engineer...or a light medic, hmm.

I think a crazy-fast Parkour Medic would be great fun to play as. :D

I don't see a big fat Operative being a great idea though.

charsace

I hope for a chain gun. I know its going to be enjoyable to put down turrents for defense and camp out with a minigun.

Randy said:
Really reminds me of Killzone 2/3 in a way, only with a more interesting universe. The whole "dynamic objectives" and the overall look'n'feel of the game just seem really similar (and that's a good thing according to my standards).
The feeling I got when playing KZ2 MP was that everything that game did well had already been done better by SD with ET/QW, it started to sniff at the same ideas but failed with the execution. After a while I just stopped playing and went back to QW.

In Brink(QW) the maps are progressive, you move between different main objectives during the course of a game but each section is designed specifically for that objective (not shoe-horned into the same area as in KZ2). You spawn in waves rather than on individual timers so your team will move together and you won't have an unpredictable stream of enemies defending/attacking an objective. All classes and main class abilities are unlocked from the start. Classes have specific roles for specific objectives (not everyone will rush to press the "objective button", soldiers demolish, spec ops hack, engies repair etc.).

Whereas KZ2 felt thrown together, QW (and I hope Brink) was a well-designed class-based game in every aspect from people who understood the genre. Best of all it was properly balanced, which was more impressive in QW since it had asymmetrical teams.

Now some sort of designer from KZ2 is the lead for Brink but my hope is that the boys at SD whipped him into shape.

It's also worth noting that SD is currently the god of MP level design.

bangai-o said:
sounds like many of you let Netflix fuck up your neighborhood local economy.

We have a family owned video store that kicks ass and all of the local Blockbusters are gone. As much as I want to support the little guy, Gamefly and Netflix own.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone talented in Photoshop take my original avatar and integrate it with Brink (like the one with the huge building in the background) like I have done for portal?

Here is my original from another site:
picture-137488.jpg

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
charsace said:
I hope for a chain gun. I know its going to be enjoyable to put down turrents for defense and camp out with a minigun.

Did you not see the footage of a heavy grinding up pretty much the entire opposing team with his minigun? I think you're going to be pretty happy with it.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Can you play a female character in this?

No girls in the future/resistance/security squad.

A little annoying the spawn time isn't drawn on the main hud and is only displayed when waiting for a revive, hopefully that is configurable in the PC version. Also it seems to have gone the QW route where the spawn timer is about half a second out of sync to the game timer.

Randy

Danne-Danger said:
The feeling I got when playing KZ2 MP was that everything that game did well had already been done better by SD with ET/QW, it started to sniff at the same ideas but failed with the execution. After a while I just stopped playing and went back to QW.

In Brink(QW) the maps are progressive, you move between different main objectives during the course of a game but each section is designed specifically for that objective (not shoe-horned into the same area as in KZ2). You spawn in waves rather than on individual timers so your team will move together and you won't have an unpredictable stream of enemies defending/attacking an objective. All classes and main class abilities are unlocked from the start. Classes have specific roles for specific objectives (not everyone will rush to press the "objective button", soldiers demolish, spec ops hack, engies repair etc.).

Whereas KZ2 felt thrown together, QW (and I hope Brink) was a well-designed class-based game in every aspect from people who understood the genre. Best of all it was properly balanced, which was more impressive in QW since it had asymmetrical teams.

Now some sort of designer from KZ2 is the lead for Brink but my hope is that the boys at SD whipped him into shape.

Thanks for enlightening me. That all sounds pretty exciting, to say the least.

Teknoman

Danne-Danger said:

This description alone makes me want to buy the game asap.

Palmer_v1

charsace said:

The medic's have an unlockable ability to make someone temporarily immune. I wonder what the Brink equivalent of an Ubered Demo would be?

Something else I read about this game is it has fully customizable controls on the consoles in addition to pre-built sets to match most popular games, like GoW, Halo, CoD, Killzone, etc.

I love you Splash Damage. Please make a baby with me.

demolitio

Dear Lord, the more I read about this game the more I really want it. This guy better email me back on Friday about buying Shogun 2. He already stood me up once though. :(

I have a disease that makes me buy into hype too often and too early...

abundant

One thing I don't thinks been mentioned is that you can respec you character at the cost of one level. Also, killing people nets you the lest amount of XP. You get more XP if you're in a group and kill someone or if you kill someone who is defending an objective.

1bd87346.png

Thanks!

Ikkarus

abundant said:
One thing I don't thinks been mentioned is that you can respec you character at the cost of one level. Also, killing people nets you the lest amount of XP. You get more XP if you're in a group and kill someone or if you kill someone who is defending an objective.
The way team play should be rewarded if you ask me.

Top Bottom