• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next meetup at a steakhouse then?

I love steak but getting a decent steak is so fucking rare (no pun intended) that I tend not to eat it at a restaurant that often.

It's so rare that I can remember the 3 best steaks I've had in my life. One was at home (a sirloin), one was in a gastro pub (ribeye) and the other was in a restaurant in Budapest (a fillet, yeah I know...).

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Careful there, my last ban was about our travelling chums.

GWAYi.jpg

Mikeside

Careful there, my last ban was about our travelling chums.

GWAYi.jpg

I thought it was OK to say Jeremies now?

edit: just for clarification - I've got no problem with the Romanis, but plenty of issues with the 'Irish travellers' who plagued my days of working at One Stop and Tesco & have ruined a good few pub nights at my local too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Edited to remove Mike's abhorrent racism.

To be fair you do live in Traveller-ville. I know this because my family is related to that lot by marriage (the Ayres family btw). They have a wooden caravan in their garden and everything. They say 'chore' rather than 'steal' and call you 'mush' They're nice enough folks but I wouldn't go drinking with them by choice. Apart from my uncle, he's awesome.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Think i remember that thread, i had to quickly edit a post i made to avoid a ban.

I wasn't quick enough, and had to wait months before I could read the private message that was taunting me in my inbox.

It was from Suairyu, telling me to edit my post asap.

Blimey, I thought we'd all learned by now that we're not allowed to have opinions on things that effect us directly! Come on people, get with the program.

I have plenty of stories I could tell, but I don't feel the need to share them out ways my not wanting to be banned.

Suairyu

Banned
It was the joke about cunts, Musharraf, not holding opinions. You can hols opinions without being so... you know. I know Mike was joking but that's playing with fire.

Edit - apparently my phone autocorrects Musha to Musharraf.

It was from Suairyu, telling me to edit my post asap.
:3

Mikeside

To be completely fair, I've met a few... Irish travelers... who are perfectly reasonable folk who are MAYBE a bit dodgy on the whole income tax and possession is 9/10 of the law side of things, but are fine other than that.

But far more often have been the other type who have threatened me when I've stopped them nicking shit from the shop I was working at, tried to finger my girlfriend (at the time) at the pub and laid me out when I grabbed him and pushed him out of the way, stole phones (including mine) right out of people's pockets at a party. The list goes on.

If a ban is what I get for expressing my distaste at those kinds of people, then somebody just make sure I'm kept up-to-date on the meetup and I'll see you all on the other side, but I don't see the point in pretending they're all persecuted for no reason.

Edit: yeah maybe the cunts joke was a bit far, but I stand by it. A bit, I'll change it up so it means the same thing, with the added bonus of being an in-joke.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I remember when i got banned, sucked so bad, it was the dumbest fucking thing i've said on here.. I was on holiday and wasted watching Barca V Madrid wasnt thinking about what i was saying ....An entire month of regret

It was the joke about cunts, Musharraf, not holding opinions. You can hols opinions without being so... you know. I know Mike was joking but that's playing with fire.

Edit - apparently my phone autocorrects Musha to Musharraf.

:3

Oh, I thought it was because Mike was slagging off gypsies, which we all know is a bannable offense.

Musharraf - 10th president of Pakistan. Ummm, ok.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
To be completely fair, I've met a few... Irish travelers... who are perfectly reasonable folk who are MAYBE a bit dodgy on the whole income tax and possession is 9/10 of the law side of things, but are fine other than that.

But far more often have been the other type who have threatened me when I've stopped them nicking shit from the shop I was working at, tried to finger my girlfriend (at the time) at the pub and laid me out when I grabbed him and pushed him out of the way, stole phones (including mine) right out of people's pockets at a party. The list goes on.

If a ban is what I get for expressing my distaste at those kinds of people, then somebody just make sure I'm kept up-to-date on the meetup and I'll see you all on the other side, but I don't see the point in pretending they're all persecuted for no reason.

Edit: yeah maybe the cunts joke was a bit far, but I stand by it. A bit, I'll change it up so it means the same thing, with the added bonus of being an in-joke.

I get exactly where you're coming from, I have been to Ash as well. BUT! change the words around, replace Irish Traveller with Black and Ash with da ghetto and you can see how it sounds to people, right? Yeah, some of those people are scummy crims but most are probably fine, if a little rough around the edges.

But I do know how you feel, especially when it is super hard to find examples of the good kind (unless your family marries into them).

Quick anecdote - my uncle's mum, a lovely traveller lady called Amy, had her house broken into by the bad kind of traveller and was robbed. They pushed her over in the break-in and she died a week later from the fall. But I still don't think we should villify a whole racial subset.

Maybe we should just stick to calling undesirables 'cunts' and leave the ethnicity out of it?

Please guys. Stop. Cease. Desist.

There isn't even a thread this time, this is just suicide.

Indeed. It's classed as a racial slur on GAF.

Ah, ok thanks. Never heard of it being racist before. Derogatory? Yes but never racist as the travellers that I've generally encountered have been white, not the romanticised Romany type.

The path to memberhood is going to be a fraught one.

Suairyu

Banned
Is 'pikey' a banned word then?
There's no such thing as a banned word per se, it's more about context. It's fairly easy to see the thought process behind "pikey = racial slur", even if that's a mistaken position (sometimes). It's best just avoided.

Or, just spell it different and claim it's a completely different word. Worked for "nigga"!

Ah, ok thanks. Never heard of it being racist before. Derogatory? Yes but never racist as the travellers that I've generally encountered have been white, not the romanticised Romany type.

The path to memberhood is going to be a fraught one.
Irish travelers are still considered a unique ethnic group. So if you're referring to them as "pikey", you can see how a US-based Red Name might interpret it as an ethnic slur, despite the fact you probably use the word as the equivalent of "trailer trash" or "white trash", perfectly acceptable terms around here.

If we're doing stories about gypsies...

My uncle owns a jewellers and one day a short man with a, err, thick Irish accent came in and tried to hock a pair of earrings with massive diamonds in them. Naturally he wanted cash, so we told him to come back at a certain time of day. My uncle then valued the earrings and took pictures, we sent the pictures to the local police station where they flagged up as matching to goods stolen just the night before. The guy turned up at the time when he was supposed to, but this time with around 4 of his boys, probably to try and steal the cash we said we would have. Bad luck for him as the police were waiting in the back of our store and we got them all on attempted armed robbery and theft.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
If we're doing stories about gypsies...

My uncle owns a jewellers and one day a short man with a, err, thick Irish accent came in and tried to hock a pair of earrings with massive diamonds in them. Naturally he wanted cash, so we told him to come back at a certain time of day. My uncle then valued the earrings and took pictures, we sent the pictures to the local police station where they flagged up as matching to goods stolen just the night before. The guy turned up at the time when he was supposed to, but this time with around 4 of his boys, probably to try and steal the cash we said we would have. Bad luck for him as the police were waiting in the back of our store and we got them all on attempted armed robbery and theft.

Haha nice.

The baby-face one and the pixel dog one.
PM me there names, we dont want any red names here

There's no such thing as a banned word per se, it's more about context. It's fairly easy to see the thought process behind "pikey = racial slur", even if that's a mistaken position (sometimes). It's best just avoided.

Or, just spell it different and claim it's a completely different word. Worked for "nigga"!

Irish travelers are still considered a unique ethnic group. So if you're referring to them as "pikey", you can see how a US-based Red Name might interpret it as an ethnic slur, despite the fact you probably use the word as the equivalent of "trailer trash" or "white trash", perfectly acceptable terms around here.

That makes sense I guess and not being a particularly big fan of cultural relativism I guess I won't complain about it.

The hypocrisy sucks though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom