• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
And y'all can analyse me as much as you like, I won't get upset. Much.
I'll post my list too, don't hold back. I hope I didn't offend, Smashing Pumpkins is the only one I feel strongly about and that's because I really feel betrayed by Corgen and his elitism driving the rest of the original group away. But compared to you I have a lot less experience with music to work with.

Making a list is difficult for me because I'm not so much about bands anymore as I am about individual artists and genres. Thus I don't know if I really could make an accurate "top 10 bands" list, as "bands" are too restrictive. But I'll try. This won't be including RnB or hip hop since those aren't really bands. Guess KP and I could post separate lists for that:

-Radiohead
-Depeche Mode
-Nine Inch Nails
-The Wombats
-Gorillaz
-Garbage
-Jack White
-Daft Punk
-Prodigy
-Mr Scruff

The bolded are groups I KNOW for a fact are still simply amazing as their new releases have been excellent in the past few years. Depeche Mode was the one that really surprised me, Sounds of the Universe came out of nowhere and is simply excellent which is an outlier for such an old band that has gone so long between releases.

I'd love to share a mixtape with yall sometime if other people wanted to as well.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I can't find a way to enjoy Avenged Sevenfold, but I like a lot of the stuff on your list. Kudos on Radiohead - favourite album?

Haha, I am aware, but if you want, try this.. You may hate it...but i just fucking love this song...mainly because throughout the song it starts to drop small phrases of what becomes the end of the song...try listening to the end guitar solo, the rest of the song sounds different.... i just love the transition into this spanish/classic tune

My fave is OKcomputer without a doubt.. i was listening it today...i like the bends and i know its most peoples fave...but OKC is just such a brilliant album as a whole for me

Hystzen

I'm sure we've all had this discussion to death, but music do you listen to?
Top 10 bands, go.

I've said a lot of things to shame myself so might as well finish it off for pure judgement

no order

-Parkway Drive (dat atlas album )
- Muse (even though every album after OoS has been average it still better then most stuff bands put out)
- The Glitch Mob
- Deftones
- Charlie Simpson (his solo singing is cool also like his band Fightstar)
- A Day To Remember
- Dir En Grey
- City And Colour
- August Burns Red
- Childish Gambino

Rubbish King

I've said a lot of things to shame myself so might as well finish it off for pure judgement

no order

-Parkway Drive (dat atlas album )
- Muse (even though every album after OoS has been average it still better then most stuff bands put out)
- The Glitch Mob
- Deftones
- Charlie Simpson (his solo singing is cool also like his band Fightstar)
- A Day To Remember
- Dir En Grey
- City And Colour
- August Burns Red
- Childish Gambino
Nice.... Have you heard the new album? My fave track's(On that album)deffo leathers ^_^

Mikeside

Haha, I am aware, but if you want, try this.. You may hate it...but i just fucking love this song...mainly because throughout the song it starts to drop small phrases of what becomes the end of the song...try listening to the end guitar solo, the rest of the song sounds different.... i just love the transition into this spanish/classic tune

My fave is OKcomputer without a doubt.. i was listening it today...i like the bends and i know its most peoples fave...but OKC is just such a brilliant album as a whole for me

OKC is by far my favourite too
You should try OK Rainbows/In Computers

Just mix 1 track from OKC, then one track from In Rainbows, repeat - the only exception is that Fitter Happier still comes directly after Karma Police.
So, (from memory, so don't judge me if this is wrong)

1. Airbag
  2. 15 Step
  3. Paranoid Android
  4. Bodysnatchers
  5. Subterranean Homesick Alien
  6. Nude
  7. Exit Music
  8. Weird Fishes
  9. Let Down
  10. All I Need
  11. Karma Police
  12. Fitter Happier
  13. Faust Arpp
  14. Electioneering
  15. Reckoner
  16. Climbing Up The Walls
  17. House Of Cards
  18. No Surprises
  19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
  20. Lucky
  21. Videotape
  22. The Tourist

Such a good way to spend a couple of hours.

Edit: Hystzen, Fightstar's first album is a treat. Love that record.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
My band list always increases after I type it because I always forget stuff, I can never narrow it down.

Radiohead, RHCP, Jimmy Eat World, Billy Talent, Fall Out Boy, Justin Timberlake, Bloc party, Smashing Pumpkins, Jayz, Kanye, Lupe Fiasco, Placebo, Thrice, Blink 182, Angels & Airwaves, Arctic Monkeys (older), My Chemical Romance, Funeral For A Friend, Iron Maiden, QOTSA, Reel Big Fish, Rage Against The Machine, The Smiths, Weezer, We Are Scientists.

That's a pretty extensive list of my all time stuff.

Rubbish King

OKC is by far my favourite too
You should try OK Rainbows/In Computers

Just mix 1 track from OKC, then one track from In Rainbows, repeat - the only exception is that Fitter Happier still comes directly after Karma Police.
So, (from memory, so don't judge me if this is wrong)

1. Airbag
  2. 15 Step
  3. Paranoid Android
  4. Bodysnatchers
  5. Subterranean Homesick Alien
  6. Nude
  7. Exit Music
  8. Weird Fishes
  9. Let Down
  10. All I Need
  11. Karma Police
  12. Fitter Happier
  13. Faust Arpp
  14. Electioneering
  15. Reckoner
  16. Climbing Up The Walls
  17. House Of Cards
  18. No Surprises
  19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
  20. Lucky
  21. Videotape
  22. The Tourist

Such a good way to spend a couple of hours.

Edit: Hystzen, Fightstar's first album is a treat. Love that record.
Nice! I'll be listening to that on the train home tomorrow :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
-Incubus(Current Favourite)
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Foo Fighters
-Avenged Sevenfold
-Radiohead
-Five Finger Death Punch
-Audioslave
-Deftones(Love the new album)
-Pearl Jam
-Porcupine Tree

Some are frowned upon by many GAFers, but it's what i like

I also like Hendrix quite alot, that's just what I've had on my phone for the past couple weeks or so..oh and kudos on Smashing Pumpkins Jed!

It's kinda funny (and I say this without judgement) that most of your list is bands that were coming out when I was your age back in 2000, the big players in metaly music haven't changed much at all have they?

What eras are you into for these bands? For me, Foo Fighters end with Nothing Left to Lose, nothing since then has been quite as good for me. And nothing touches The Colour and the Shape, that is an immaculate album right there. Chillis is all about Blood Sugar and maybe One Hot Minute cos its so weird. Awesome choice with PJ as well, they should be on my list. I'm kinda weird in that I don't really like Ten, for me their Golden Era is between Vitaology and Binaural.

You've got a lot of great stuff in there and I like most if not all of those bands. But personally I feel like Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Neutral Milk Hotel and Conor Oberst would be relegated my 'Nostalgia' category. Don't get me wrong, they were amazing and their initial work still is but they are either non-existent in modern day (Nirviana), undeserving of their name (looking @ SP here, billy is a cunt and I feel everything post Adore has been a complete divorce from their roots and sounds like garbage) or haven't really ever reclaimed the heights of their initial greatness to my ears (NMH + Conor).

I'm not so much about bands anymore as I am about individual artists and genres. Thus I don't know if I really could make a "top 10 bands" list, "bands" are too restrictive. I'd love to share a mixtape with yall sometime if other people wanted to as well.

Yeah I feel you about the nostalgia, I could probably do an 'all time' list and a current list. But that said, the best thing about having a ridiculous music collection is that the classics are there for rediscovery and when you jump back in they can stand toe to toe with anything else. NMH for instance, I only got into them about 2 years ago and it totally blew the top off my mind, an instant favourite. And the Pumpkins, I got back into them in a big way this month and stuff like Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie are damn near perfect and exhilarating records, time be damned.

I could maybe stand to lose Nirvana, but if you listen to In Utero and pretend you've never heard it before, it's still absolutely stunning. It's special.

I still love Conor Oberst though, and I've really enjoyed his more recent stuff too. I love People's Key so much - One for You One For Me is one of my very favourite songs, it's just audio bliss. That song - it's funny, I'm reading the Great Gatsby and there's this paragraph where Gatsby is introduced:

He smiled understandingly — much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced — or seemed to face — the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just so far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.​

That's what that song is to me.
lol I'm such a girl. and a pretentious one! Conor understands me!

But yeah, Billy is a cunt :p

Fuck it, if you're doing it, I get to too.

Radiohead
Tegan & Sara
The Shins
Jimmy Eat World
Death Cab for Cutie
Say Anything (essentially just for their early, angsty stuff and "Is A Real Boy". All the later stuff after In Defense of the Genre turns me off like genital warts)
Bright Eyes (I'm not cheating like Jedeye - just one band.)
Brand New
Sigur Rós
Jack's Mannequin/Something Corporate (OK, cheating a little - they're both Andrew McMahon bands)

I'd be incredibly up for a mixtape swap. If we're doing it with digital files, then we might as well just have a pool of them and all take everybody's?

I think custom artwork should be mandatory, just for the fuck of it.

Yeah! Jimmy and Deathcab! Love both of those. You're so emo, it's charming :)

Custom artwork fo so. I do mine on a photocopier. Old school. And yeah, we just make all of them public rather than doing one-to-one swaps I think.

Mikeside

Plenty of Radiohead fans in here.

How come we don't talk about Radiohead more?

Cindres, your list is pretty diverse. I so wish I could appreciate hiphop and rap, because so many people who I consider to have great taste in music tell me "oh, check out this hiphop album" etc, but I never enjoy it. I've tried so hard :(

Hystzen

My band list always increases after I type it because I always forget stuff, I can never narrow it down.

Radiohead, RHCP, Jimmy Eat World, Billy Talent, Fall Out Boy, Justin Timberlake, Bloc party, Smashing Pumpkins, Jayz, Kanye, Lupe Fiasco, Placebo, Thrice, Blink 182, Angels & Airwaves, Arctic Monkeys (older), My Chemical Romance, Funeral For A Friend, Iron Maiden, QOTSA, Reel Big Fish, Rage Against The Machine, The Smiths, Weezer, We Are Scientists.

Those in bold make it to my top 10 but I tend switch them depending what mood I'm in kind of hyped for new Placebo this year

Mikeside

You're so emo, it's charming :)

It's a shame that I've missed my opportunity to use that for pulling power.
Girls are over emoboys and I'm a little bit old to be one anyhow.

Maybe I'll suddenly get really good at guitar and I can become a tortured, fragile singer/songwriter.

I'd like to mention, by the way, that there's an exception to my Death Cab for Cutie love, which is obviously Codes and Keys. Wow is that a bad album.

Also, anything Jimmy Eat World have released after Futures has felt like non-alcoholic beer - I GUESS it's kinda the same, but it's not quite right.

SKINNER!

Banned
Top 10 favourite bands you say?

Alrighty, in no order of course

Rage Against the Machine
Metallica
The Offspring
Ennio Morricone
Public Enemy
The Who
Nas
Pearl Jam
Iron Maiden
Less Than Jake or Reel Big Fish (switchable depening on mood)

Notable mentions:
Michael Jackson
Bob Marley
Audioslave
Lupe Fiasco
Bad Religion
Kanye West

Mr. Sam

Music discussion makes me feel adrift at sea. Movies I can do. Movies I have a good knowledge of. Music, no. What's a Radiohead?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Oh why not:

-Spagna
-Eastwind Fizz
-Make Her Moan (Second album was tits)
-The Fusions
-Attenuator 4
-Spandau Ballet
-Munique And The Dream
-Pink LeShark Polo (Not too keen on the newer stuff)
-Clive Dunn
-The Essence Of Man

Louis C.K. is the US Michael McIntyre.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Since we all like Radiohead so much, here's a present: A newish Radiohead song that you've probably not heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ztWvuyXeU

I like quite a lot of hip hop myself, although none quite enough that it would make a best of list. But I dig Childish Gambino, Saul Williams, Blackalicious, MF Doom, Mos Def, Talib Kweli and I can appreciate the classics like NWA and Public Enemy and Dre and Snoop. Me and my mate sat around for about three hours the other night trading off DJing old school hip hop on youtube.

f0rk

There will be no Radiohead on my mixtape. Mine will probably diverge the most from all you stinky indie rockers. How many songs should it be?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There will be no Radiohead on my mixtape. Mine will probably diverge the most from all you stinky indie rockers. How many songs should it be?

I think they should be no more than the length of a CD. I'm shooting for an hour, don't want to overstay my welcome now.

One rule - no duplicate songs by the same band. You are allowed a single exception to this if you must, but it needs to be clever if you do.

f0rk

How does no dups work with hip hop features.

Actually I don't think it will be a problem, but I don't know how 1 song can hold all that Kanye.

Rubbish King

Plenty of Radiohead fans in here.

How come we don't talk about Radiohead more?

Cindres, your list is pretty diverse. I so wish I could appreciate hiphop and rap, because so many people who I consider to have great taste in music tell me "oh, check out this hiphop album" etc, but I never enjoy it. I've tried so hard :(

We had a small discussion a few pages back the other day

It's kinda funny (and I say this without judgement) that most of your list is bands that were coming out when I was your age back in 2000, the big players in metaly music haven't changed much at all have they?

What eras are you into for these bands? For me, Foo Fighters end with Nothing Left to Lose, nothing since then has been quite as good for me. And nothing touches The Colour and the Shape, that is an immaculate album right there. Chillis is all about Blood Sugar and maybe One Hot Minute cos its so weird. Awesome choice with PJ as well, they should be on my list. I'm kinda weird in that I don't really like Ten, for me their Golden Era is between Vitaology and Binaural.

oh i know, i used to watch Kerrang religiously from around 2000/01 So that would explain it :)

- Foo Fighters I listen to most of there stuff I love all the albums but my favourite is probably Wasting Light even though it doesn't have the best tracks of all time its my fave album to listen all the way through, after watching their documentary it has a lot more meaning then the other albums..

-Chillis I've loved as long as I can remember, they are my all time favourite band, fave guitarist was definitely Frusciantie (Hense the avatar) But my favourite overall album was One Hot Minute.... It's a fucking beauty of a record.. Not that interested in their new stuff though...Josh Klinghoffer just doesnt do it for me

- Pearl Jam - I dont really distinguish between albums as I just made a favourites playlist....Favourite track is probably rats atm...

- Incubus I love all the albums...the new one is a bit mehh but my fave is Make Yourself...no contest but Crow for the Murder, Light Grenades has a few killer tracks on it too! If not now when? is to far from Science for me..but Adolescents is one of my favourite tracks evaar!

- Deftones - White Ponys my favourite album as it contains my favourite song that i used to get high too... Digital Bath

- Some of those bands I used to love from Kerrang were Linkin Park, Slipknot(hehe), Lostprophets, Blink 182, Papa Roach....Limp bizkit,.............and Korn :D.... baring in mind i dont think I'd even hit 10 years old when I was listening to this stuff...i would say i did alright

SKINNER!

Banned
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to do playlists on itunes or spotify? Not sure if it's legal to say here but I made one on Grooveshark for a friend once. Worked out well.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
We had a small discussion a few pages back the other day

oh i know, i used to watch Kerrang religiously from around 2000/01 So that would explain it :)

- Foo Fighters I listen to most of there stuff I love all the albums but my favourite is probably Wasting Light even though it doesn't have the best tracks of all time its my fave album to listen all the way through, after watching their documentary it has a lot more meaning then the other albums..

-Chillis I've loved as long as I can remember, they are my all time favourite band, fave guitarist was definitely Frusciantie (Hense the avatar) But my favourite overall album was One Hot Minute.... It's a fucking beauty of a record.. Not that interested in their new stuff though...Josh Klinghoffer just doesnt do it for me

- Pearl Jam - I dont really distinguish between albums as I just made a favourites playlist....Favourite track is probably rats atm...

- Incubus I love all the albums...the new one is a bit mehh but my fave is Make Yourself...no contest but Crow for the Murder, Light Grenades has a few killer tracks on it too! If not now when? is to far from Science for me..but Adolescents is one of my favourite tracks evaar!

- Deftones - White Ponys my favourite album as it contains my favourite song that i used to get high too... Digital Bath

- Some of those bands I used to love from Kerrang were Linkin Park, Slipknot(hehe), Lostprophets, Blink 182, Papa Roach....Limp bizkit,.............and Korn :D.... baring in mind i dont think I'd even hit 10 years old when I was listening to this stuff...i would say i did alright

Awesome, fascinating reading!

You really need to write to PJ and tell them that Rats is your favourite song. I don't think anyone has said that in the history of the world ever :p

I'm with you on White Pony - their new stuff has all been really really good, but White Pony is really special and I don't think they've ever come close to it. I think if you remove it from the equation, the question of best Deftones album becomes a lot more interesting.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to do playlists on itunes or spotify? Not sure if it's legal to say here but I made one on Grooveshark for a friend once. Worked out well.

Can you share an iTunes playlist though? I've never thought to do that before. How does it work? Spotify could work, but would need everyone to have it, and they might not have every song if we're going deep.

Rubbish King

Awesome, fascinating reading!

You really need to write to PJ and tell them that Rats is your favourite song. I don't think anyone has said that in the history of the world ever :p

I'm with you on White Pony - their new stuff has all been really really good, but White Pony is really special and I don't think they've ever come close to it. I think if you remove it from the equation, the question of best Deftones album becomes a lot more interesting.

Haha, im sure they'd really appreciate it too..

Have you heard the new album? It sounds like a Call of Duty Zombies map

SKINNER!

Banned
A Nintendo is for kids snipe in 2013? Really?

So when are you going to move on to real consoles?

At least Nintendo are trying their hardest to squash the image that they sadly picked up when they started to let any idiot develop a game for the Wii. Nintendo were never "kiddy" back in the 64/GC days*. You had your fair share of kids titles but you equally had good teen/mature games too.

*EDIT: by kiddy I meant their image. Sure, there were far more violent games on the PS1, DC, Xbox and PS2 but what I meant was the N64 and GC were never seen as kiddy consoles unlike the Wii. You still had adults buying them and playing Goldeneye, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Beyond Good and Evil, Time Splitters 2 etc.

Can you share an iTunes playlist though? I've never thought to do that before. How does it work? Spotify could work, but would need everyone to have it, and they might not have every song if we're going deep.

There might be a way to share playlists on iTunes. I'm sure there is.

Chinner

Banned
okay heres my mix track

1. pop is dead
2. pop is dead
3. pop is dead
4. pop is dead
5. pop is dead
6. pop is dead
7. pop is dead
8. pop is dead
9. creep

Rubbish King

i cant fault most of these choices....Nice!

okay heres my mix track

1. pop is dead
2. pop is dead
3. pop is dead
4. pop is dead
5. pop is dead
6. pop is dead
7. pop is dead
8. pop is dead
9. creep

:lol

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah that was a bit cuntish. I like anime so I should actually listen to some of that.

EDIT: I tried. Can't sorry. It feels like you have to be on a constant sugar rush high to be able to appreciate it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It was a joke link, but technically saying its not real is quite an insult to the composers of such music.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
One of those awful days when everything went wrong.

Tumble dryer failed for starters - motor burned out (hardly surprising given the thrashing the thing gets). That was easy - went out, bought a new one, plugged it in, took old one down the tip. That's what I call a mature technology.

Not so easy with the failed wireless keyboard and mouse though. The went out and bought a new one bit was the same, but:

First attempt interference between wifi and mouse/keyboard. Wifi worked fine but no M/K. Bugger. Back to shop.

Second attempt interference between wifi and M/K again. This time M/K work lovely, but no internet. Bugger. Back to shop.

Third attempt got wifi - Yay! But only one of M/K will work at a time. Only way to fix it is to download some software which you can only get to if you have both a mouse and a keyboard working. Bugger.

Luckily managed to borrow one off the boy.

Beats me how anyone ever gets this stuff to work. Give me tumble dryers every time.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It was a joke link, but technically saying its not real is quite an insult to the composers of such music.
I guess. I just...are the random high pitch cries really necessary? Too moe for me. I should probably know better than to stir your wrath though given last time I got wit-thrashed hard.

Tumble dryer failed for starters - motor burned out (hardly surprising given the thrashing the thing gets). That was easy - went out, bought a new one, plugged it in, took old one down the tip. That's what I call a mature technology.

Not so easy with the failed wireless keyboard and mouse though. The went out and bought a new one bit was the same, but:

First attempt interference between wifi and mouse/keyboard. Wifi worked fine but no M/K. Bugger. Back to shop.

Second attempt interference between wifi and M/K again. This time M/K work lovely, but no internet. Bugger. Back to shop.

Third attempt got wifi - Yay! But only one of M/K will work at a time. Only way to fix it is to download some software which you can only get to if you have both a mouse and a keyboard working. Bugger.

Beats me how anyone ever gets this stuff to work. Give me tumble dryers every time.
Yeah I dealt with something similar the other day. Major pain and just frustrates to no end.

This sounds like something my dad would do, spend all day faffing with a keyboard.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

The keyboard can be used solely to do everything, alternatively the mouse w/ on screen keyboard. Personally I'd go for the Keyboard option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom