• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobius 1

Fine Britons, I saw a TV show when I was in London that consisted of Stephen Fry in hosting a group of guests in a semi circular studio set, 3 on each side. They were answering questions about all sort of things in the land.

What programme is that?

And just like that, we're halfway through the week already. Huzzah!

Got my 2nd band rehearsal tomorrow night and I've not practised any of the songs yet. Whoops.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
for some reason i thought it were Tuesday

waiting for builders is frustrating

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
they are extending the house out/adding a slope and creating a porch area, been in and out for about two months now. On a lighter note ive decided to have ben and jerries cookie dough for breakfast, i forsee no negative consequences.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

He said three on each side, QI consists of two on each side.

Only thing that I can think of is the Stephen Fry episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but that would have been mostly music theme, unless the off topic banter was confused as "answering questions about all sort of things in the land".

they are extending the house out/adding a slope and creating a porch area, been in and out for about two months now. On a lighter note ive decided to have ben and jerries cookie dough for breakfast, i forsee no negative consequences.

You have chosen, wisely.

Cookie dough is the best ice cream.

Let the ice cream argument commence.

Mr Cola

Stephen fry is legitimately someone i could watch do anything, such an interesting man. Another is the late Christopher Hitchens :{, such a loss.

Mr Cola

You have chosen, wisely.

Cookie dough is the best ice cream.

Let the ice cream argument commence.

This is the remnants of the Dominos i had last night, its either Cookie Dough or Phish Food, nothing else comes close.

26eKw.jpg

Come brothers! We must ride north and stamp out these Jacobites!

Ha! "Insert clichéd Braveheart quote here"

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
10am seems early to be drinking full fat coke, but fuck it. I need something to keep my interest in this damn coursework.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
And just like that, we're halfway through the week already. Huzzah!

Got my 2nd band rehearsal tomorrow night and I've not practised any of the songs yet. Whoops.

This is what band practice is about, it's the fun of it! I often turn up at practice (and gigs actually) thinking "I have no idea how to play this song" but then the subconscious takes over and it's all good. Wing it, it's fun!

Speaking of bands, Parachute for Gordo will be recording some tunes in a couple of weeks, I'm so hyped. We found a dude with a portable studio who's just going to come along, record our set, mix it and only charge £70 for the pleasure which is ridiculously cheap. So if it's good, expect much pimpage.

What role(s) do you perform?

And that's just normal Coke man! Real Coke!

I'm the singer.

This is what band practice is about, it's the fun of it! I often turn up at practice (and gigs actually) thinking "I have no idea how to play this song" but then the subconscious takes over and it's all good. Wing it, it's fun!

Speaking of bands, Parachute for Gordo will be recording some tunes in a couple of weeks, I'm so hyped. We found a dude with a portable studio who's just going to come along, record our set, mix it and only charge £70 for the pleasure which is ridiculously cheap. So if it's good, expect much pimpage.

Hmm, we'll see. And awesome news about the recording, that is stupid cheap, I won't tell you what we paid in my old band to record :/

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm the singer.

Hmm, we'll see. And awesome news about the recording, that is stupid cheap, I won't tell you what we paid in my old band to record :/

I know! My old band once paid £600 for a weekend and it didn't capture the real us at all. It was all shiny and overdubbed and weird. This one is just going to be the three of us in our practice room post-rocking the fuck out. No overdubs, no quantization on the drums, no second takes. Just us. I love my band so damn much.

I know! My old band once paid £600 for a weekend and it didn't capture the real us at all. It was all shiny and overdubbed and weird. This one is just going to be the three of us in our practice room post-rocking the fuck out. No overdubs, no quantization on the drums, no second takes. Just us. I love my band so damn much.

Yeah that's exactly what we paid. £600 for two days in which we recorded 5 songs. The recordings were ok but the production wasn't great. I think the guy who ran the studio was more of an engineer than a producer.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah that's exactly what we paid. £600 for two days in which we recorded 5 songs. The recordings were ok but the production wasn't great. I think the guy who ran the studio was more of an engineer than a producer.

Yeah exactly the same here. And the technician/engineer guy was obsessed with the Libertines at the time too so our metal band kind of got crushed into his greasy skinny jeans. Still, it's nice to have the songs to look back on now isn't it? Happy memories :) I kind of like that the recording session was more of a productive lads' holiday. We just got ruined and listened to At the Drive In all weekend in between recording sessions. As the bassist I had bugger all to do!

I remember the weirdest part of the weekend was that our drummer disappeared for a while. When we found him he'd been sleeping in the amp room where our guitar player had been recording through the loudest fucking amp I have ever heard. He said it was peaceful but I thnk it gave him brain damage...

Edit: if this portable recording guy is any good I'll give you his number in case your new outfit wants to get a decent recording done in a few months. remember to pimp yourselves when you're ready!

Yeah exactly the same here. And the technician/engineer guy was obsessed with the Libertines at the time too so our metal band kind of got crushed into his greasy skinny jeans. Still, it's nice to have the songs to look back on now isn't it? Happy memories :) I kind of like that the recording session was more of a productive lads' holiday. We just got ruined and listened to At the Drive In all weekend in between recording sessions. As the bassist I had bugger all to do!

I remember the weirdest part of the weekend was that our drummer disappeared for a while. When we found him he'd been sleeping in the amp room where our guitar player had been recording through the loudest fucking amp I have ever heard. He said it was peaceful but I thnk it gave him brain damage...

Edit: if this portable recording guy is any good I'll give you his number in case your new outfit wants to get a decent recording done in a few months. remember to pimp yourselves when you're ready!

Yeah I'm glad we did it, especially as we're no longer together. Was a bit boring for me though, I had nothing to do till last thing on the 2nd day. And cos the others took so long I had hardly any time to record the vocals. Good job I'm a 1 or 2 take person! Still it felt rushed and next time I'll make sure I'm 90% happy, rather than 70% (I could never be 100%, too much of a perfectionist).

Yeah that would be cool, cheers dude. I'd be interested to listen to the recordings once they're done as well.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah I'm glad we did it, especially as we're no longer together. Was a bit boring for me though, I had nothing to do till last thing on the 2nd day. And cos the others took so long I had hardly any time to record the vocals. Good job I'm a 1 or 2 take person! Still it felt rushed and next time I'll make sure I'm 90% happy, rather than 70% (I could never be 100%, too much of a perfectionist).

Yeah that would be cool, cheers dude. I'd be interested to listen to the recordings once they're done as well.

Yeah our singer had a similar issue with time. Which is a realy shame since when people listen to a recording it's always the vocals the jump out. Everything else can be sketchy as all hell but if the vocal performance isn't confident and on the money then it really shows. Which is why my recent bands have no singers, can't be arsed with all that human frailty no more hahaha!

It's funny you mention perfectionism, I'm kind of the opposite of that. Growing up into DIY punk stuff means that I can happily accept some very dodgy sounding stuff, even from myself. Good enough is good enough for me! Luckily I've always been in bands with OCD people who'll counteract my lackadaisical approach to quality control. And it means I have less work to do. PFG is actually the most punk-spirited band I've been in, my last band had a really anally retentive member who was never happy with anything which is a real shame since we have a really really good song that he never let us put out there because he didn't like how the drums were EQd or something. Sometimes you just have to let something go I think.

And don't worry, nobody on GAF shall be able to escape the tunes when they're ready! I figure if Agent Whiskers could have a thread then so can I. And our stuff is way better than that :p

What kinda stuff is your new band anyhoo? More metally goodness?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
lol anonymous. They are a very perculiar entity in this modern world. If were a chin stroking wanker (which I am) then I would suggest they are some odd modern day Loki force, this ephemeral digital trickster god, often more intent on making a point or 'the lulz' than truly malicious intent. Even though they're total prats I'm kinda glad they're out there making the world a little sillier and proving that restrictions mean bugger all in this digital society.

Anyway, enough beard stroking, I'll shake my fist so I can pretend to be outraged about this.

Yeah our singer had a similar issue with time. Which is a realy shame since when people listen to a recording it's always the vocals the jump out. Everything else can be sketchy as all hell but if the vocal performance isn't confident and on the money then it really shows. Which is why my recent bands have no singers, can't be arsed with all that human frailty no more hahaha!

It's funny you mention perfectionism, I'm kind of the opposite of that. Growing up into DIY punk stuff means that I can happily accept some very dodgy sounding stuff, even from myself. Good enough is good enough for me! Luckily I've always been in bands with OCD people who'll counteract my lackadaisical approach to quality control. And it means I have less work to do. PFG is actually the most punk-spirited band I've been in, my last band had a really anally retentive member who was never happy with anything which is a real shame since we have a really really good song that he never let us put out there because he didn't like how the drums were EQd or something. Sometimes you just have to let something go I think.

And don't worry, nobody on GAF shall be able to escape the tunes when they're ready! I figure if Agent Whiskers could have a thread then so can I. And our stuff is way better than that :p

What kinda stuff is your new band anyhoo? More metally goodness?

It's a covers band, Foos, Muse, Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, plus some rock covers of pop songs.

SKINNER!

Banned
It's a covers band, Foos, Muse, Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, plus some rock covers of pop songs.

Nice! That sounds like a great band to be in.

Plus, unless you plan on chucking your demo CD to a record label, can't you just record tracks at home for fun? or is it part of the experience of a band to go into a recording studio?

EDIT: Is it wise to head to the gym while your body is going through Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness from the last session?

Plus, unless you plan on chucking your demo CD to a record label, can't you just record tracks at home for fun? or is it part of the experience of a band to go into a recording studio?

EDIT: Is it wise to head to the gym while your body is going through Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness from the last session?

Thanks dude, I'm just pretty excited to be back rehearsing, and hopefully gigging again soon!

Well you need to send stuff to people to get gigs as well these days, plus you can give/sell CDs to your fans. You're never going to get a decent sound in a home studio, unless you spend a shit load and practically turn into a proper studio.

Mikeside

Recording tracks at home is harder than it sounds, unless you happen to have good enough recording equipment and a decent space to record which isn't going to have a shitty room sound (especially on drums and vocals).

Even then, it's usually a good idea to have somebody else with you to do it so the band can focus on the music, not the recording.

I wish I still had all the equipment. I might start getting some stuff again because I used to LOVE recording bands. I'd just make sure not to work with douchebags this time.

Tell you what, Jedeye - I'll record you for free if and when I get some stuff together again.

It'll probably be pretty amateur until I really get back into it, though.

He said three on each side, QI consists of two on each side.

Only thing that I can think of is the Stephen Fry episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but that would have been mostly music theme, unless the off topic banter was confused as "answering questions about all sort of things in the land".

Oh yeah! I totally just saw Stephen Fry and people on the side and QI came to the mind :lol

Playing The Walking Dead has turned my evenings into solemn affairs, undercut by lots of "NO!"s and the words "fucking hell" also used quite frequently. It's messed up. I'm not sure if I'm ready for more of the TV show yet, both due to the equal unpleasantness of that and the fact it can't be anywhere near as good as the game is.

Zambies!

Mikeside

Playing The Walking Dead has turned my evenings into solemn affairs, undercut by lots of "NO!"s and the words "fucking hell" also used quite frequently. It's messed up. I'm not sure if I'm ready for more of the TV show yet, both due to the equal unpleasantness of that and the fact it can't be anywhere near as good as the game is.

Zambies!

TWD game is fucking amazing. I can't wait for episode 5, especially with the huuuuge cliffhanger of ep4.

I've actually been enjoying the TV show too, though it pales in comparison to both the games and (to a much greater extent) the original comics. If you've not read the comics yet, I highly advise you to get hold of them!

The 100+ issue backlog is quite daunting, but I know a guy who I believe has a bunch of the earlier issues, so I'll see if he's willing to lend them next time I'm back home. Assuming I have much spare time by that point, which is probably unlikely.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Aha! Now have broadband (14 meg) and a laptop (big Sony) in the shop. This does not mean I will spend all my time knurdling around on GAF, but it's nice to have the opportunity.

Scuderia

Why am i struggling to find motivation for TWD? I'm still on the first bloody episode.

Good luck 3Sixty! Make the 10/89 proud!

Mr Cola

Hmm, so ive been suffering from a few troubling symptoms the last few days, there is also a history of cancer in my family, quite a large one. I have a regular doctors appointment in two weeks for other stuff but this is causing me some discomfort, worth moving it forward you guys think? On the one hand i cant help but think because of recent threads on gaf im making more out of this than it needs be.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hmm, so ive been suffering from a few troubling symptoms the last few days, there is also a history of cancer in my family, quite a large one. I have a regular doctors appointment in two weeks for other stuff but this is causing me some discomfort, worth moving it forward you guys think? On the one hand i cant help but think because of recent threads on gaf im making more out of this than it needs be.

That's somewhat unspecific y'know. But tell the damn doctor (and also, don't tell GAF).

Mr Cola

That's somewhat unspecific y'know. But tell the damn doctor (and also, don't tell GAF).

Well there is a lump and dull pain, im telling the doctor im just wondering whether its worth putting the appointment forward or not.

Mr. Sam

GAF will tell you to feed it pizza, or something equally overused. If you can move your appointment forward, I don't see what harm it would do.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well there is a lump and dull pain, im telling the doctor im just wondering whether its worth putting the appointment forward or not.

If that's it, then I wouldn't put effort into moving the appointment forward. Doesn't sound like anything is going to explode immediately, and two weeks difference don't amount to a hill of beans in the NHS anyhow.

Live with it for a fortnight and you'll have more of a story to tell the doc. Besides, it might have gone away by then, and if not you'll have a better story to tell.

EDIT: unless it is wherever your appendix is, which I have not got the faintest idea about. But if it is, get to hospital now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom