• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of those classic Metal Gear moments where the story has been reaching a nice crescendo and Kojima takes a hot, sludgy dump over it with a "Western things I see in movies are cool!" thing.

Don't see why anyone could complain about that in a game with a guy that can't die due to lolnanomachines.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
One of those classic Metal Gear moments where the story has been reaching a nice crescendo and Kojima takes a hot, sludgy dump over it with a "Western things I see in movies are cool!" thing.
drudge-siren1.gif
VIDEO GAME POLICE
drudge-siren1.gif

noffles

Banned
I played through all numbered MGS games for the first time in the period between October 2011 and January 2012.

Shit was amazing.

I played through all numbered MGS games for the first time in the period between October 2011 and January 2012.

Shit was amazing.

Finally finished 3 and 4 last year, despite having the former since release (yes PS2 release).

Would love a new game with young Snake, even if they use lolnanomachines to reverse Old Snake.

Suairyu

Banned
Hi guys, remember when MGS3 explained how Liquid's arm was able to take over Ocelots body by explaining Ocelot was the son of a spirit-medium super soldier? And all the other supernatural stuff?

Yeah, it was actually nanomachines, before nanomachines were even invented. All of it.

Don't see why anyone could complain about that in a game with a guy that can't die due to lolnanomachines.
lolnanomachines don't even explain the shit like:
1 - why did vamp drink blood?
2 - why can vamp run on water?
3 - why can vamp sit on water so thin you can't float in it?
4 - why is vamp so sexy?

...don't you like family guy?
Difference:
1 - Family Guy writers, while relying too much on references, understand the references they're using and how best to implement them
2 - Kojima is just your standard "omg English words are so cool!!!!" Japanese anime writer

Hi guys, remember when MGS3 explained how Liquid's arm was able to take over Ocelots body by explaining Ocelot was the son of a spirit-medium super soldier? And all the other supernatural stuff?

Yeah, it was actually nanomachines, before nanomachines were even invented. All of it.

lolnanomachines don't even explain the shit like:
1 - why did vamp drink blood?
2 - why can vamp run on water?
3 - why can vamp sit on water so thin you can't float in it?
4 - why is vamp so sexy?

1 - iron deficiency
2 - lolnanomachines
3 - lolnanomachines
4 - lolnanomachines

SKINNER!

Banned
Suairyu would make a great drinking buddy. Scotch in one hand, cig in the other with an ashtray the size of a dog bowl and all he'd do is tell you why your favourite video games are so shit.

Edit: Not too sure about having a drink buddy that wears a Stewie Griffin t shirt though.

Suairyu

Banned
MGS2 is a fantastic game, when it actually lets you play it.

Also thematically, the story is actually fucking amazing. I incorporated it into my final English Lit dissertation at Uni and got a first for it.

It's just that Kojima is an awful, awful writer who can't capitalise on any of that.

I think he is referring to fan theories about the game/series???
Oh. Fuck fan theories. Zelda timeline theorists should be plenty proof enough that fan theorising is silly.

noffles

Banned
Also thematically, the story is actually fucking amazing. I incorporated it into my final English Lit dissertation at Uni and got a first for it.

I've been thinking of touching upon the writing in games for my dissertation in year 3. Go further into this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No one sending me their playlists? I thought it was your mission to make me listen to some decent music.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents is shaping up to be a good un, proper scouser lads with a strict dad and a super camp rich kid

That show is embarrassing for everyone involved. The kids are morons and the parents are arseholes that decide to spy on their kids and get pissed off when they see the shit they get up to. They should know those holidays are full of retarded shit, if you don't want to be disappointed in your kids don't follow them every-fucking-place.

Chinner

Banned
MGS2 is a fantastic game, when it actually lets you play it.

It's just that Kojima is an awful, awful writer who can't capitalise on any of that.

Oh. Fuck fan theories. Zelda timeline theorists should be plenty proof enough that fan theorising is silly.
mgs2 is great, but yeah writing isn'tstrong. the ideas of how society is being overloaded by information, and how kojima actually implements that into the story itself is clever and a lot of people miss and interpret for being bloated.

noffles

Banned
I was tempted to go down to the 24/7 Tesco for biscuits and hopefully not get stabbed along the way, but then I remembered that I lost my keys somewhere.

Suairyu

Banned
I've been thinking of touching upon the writing in games for my dissertation in year 3. Go further into this.
Best have a good reason, bro. I was specifically exploring social-science fiction, comparing prose to games, musing on how an interactive narrative can explore social sci fi themes in interesting ways.

So you had your 1984 and Half-Life 2, analyising how each sets about to set a tone of oppression. You had Blade Runner and Bioshock as examples of how to create and immerse people in wholly invented worlds. Keeping Bioshock, I then compared that to Brave New World as examples of criticism of philosophy and society, and as predictions for where society might end up.

Then used The Island of Doctor Moreau, Metal Gear Solid 2, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and Ghost in the Shell as examples of works that explore both reality and the meaning of humanity. MGS2 and The Lathe of Heaven were then compared as examples of how antagonists attempt to control reality, alter it.

Concluded with musings on how the future of social science fiction lies not within traditional media, but within videogames (or whatever next form interactive fiction takes).

Had a lengthy introduction exploring how both traditional Aristotelian literature theory and more recent Ludological game theory are inefficiency at analyising gamestory, proposing a merging of the two when discussing videogames, which unfortunately took up more of my word count than I would have liked. Had I not done the introduction, though, the dissertation would have failed as non-game playing professors scratched their heads at the main body of the piece.

I had a friend doing the same course who also included some videogame examples (mostly City 17 from HL2, I think) when discussing the role of the city in literature.

So like, you can definitely use videogames in your dissertation, but you have to have a damn good reason to do it, not just a "I want to write about videogames" reason.

mgs2 is great, but yeah writing isn'tstrong. the ideas of how society is being overloaded by information, and how kojima actually implements that into the story itself is clever and a lot of people miss and interpret for being bloated.
Absolutely. There's a ton of meat behind the awful dialogue. But given his inability to write and his constant use of references, I'm convinced it wasn't an original idea and instead he read a lot of university papers and just copied what they said. Especially when the characters are times feel like they're reciting poorly written academia rather than having a conversation.

Chinner

Banned
Absolutely. There's a ton of meat behind the awful dialogue. But given his inability to write and his constant use of references, I'm convinced it wasn't an original idea and instead he read a lot of university papers and just copied what they said. Especially when the characters are times feel like they're reciting poorly written academia rather than having a conversation.
he did the same with mgs1 and dawkin's the selfish gene. he referenced it a lot in mgs2 too, especially with Dawkins definition of meme and it's interaction within society. kinda why mgs2 actually feels like genuine sequel to 1, unlike 3 and 4 which feel off in their own tangent.

it's almost like in mgs3 and 4 he ran out of references to use or copy, and just couldn't think of anything good himself.

3 feels like he was more focused on making a fun game rather than getting too weird with the story. Instead of a brilliantly idiotic plot like MGS2, we got stuff like the camo and CQC. I actually appreciate how mostly straightforward MGS3's plot is, it really lets the gameplay shine.

Chinner

Banned
I still remember that 'conversation' between the US president and Russia's leader, truly, truly terrible, and made worse by poor VA that mgs3 suffered from. cameo was poop btw, and ruined the arcadey pace that mgs gameplay was well known for.

Suairyu

Banned
3 still had god-awful "the world is without borders, our enemy today is our ally tomorrow, we must unite the world!!!..... so I will continue to carry out America's mission for me anyway lol" preaching anyway.

But I agree that it's much more straight forward than 2. It's probably my favourite MGS game in terms of narrative. Snake's story in it was genuinely affecting at times, even if clumsy. I personally preferred the gameplay in it to the arcadey-ness of MGS2, too.

Though where we should give Kojima credit is that he tried to make a sequel that was something new, rather than just more of the same. More developers should do that.

edit - I'll agree that camo wasn't executed as well as it should. You just ended up changing it every 60 seconds when you hit a new texture. There needed to be less camo options.

Chinner

Banned
yeah, it was nice that he attempted not to shit on mgs2 with 3, but since 4 he's done his best to either shit on, undo or just plain ignore 2. not sure if its because of attempting to please fans or he's just changed his mind, but it's lame anyway.

I still remember that 'conversation' between the US president and Russia's leader, truly, truly terrible, and made worse by poor VA, which mgs3 in general suffered from. cameo was poop btw, and ruined the arcadey pace that mgs gameplay was well known for.

Ehhhhhh I much prefer MGS3's approach to stealth than the previous games. Maybe because I can only play stealth games at one speed (sloooooooowwwwww). I could never get the hang of how to play MGS2 properly.

But yeah to Suairyu's point playing "match the textures" wasn't fantastic. Not that MGS4's auto-camo sounds much better.

Suairyu

Banned
Huh. Downstairs has lost power. Yet the fuse box remains untripped. That about exhausts my electrical knowledge. Ill just pretend I didn't notice and let my parents handle it when they wake up.

Suairyu

Banned
Is okay, Musharraf. I've got the "big trip, no sleep" thing going on. I can never sleep the night before a commute.

Going up naaaaarrth to see some old uni friends and a particular person on top. Wont br. Acid in work until Wednesday.

What are everyone else's weekend plans?

Is okay, Musharraf. I've got the "big trip, no sleep" thing going on. I can never sleep the night before a commute.

Going up naaaaarrth to see some old uni friends and a particular person on top. Wont br. Acid in work until Wednesday.

No acid for me but I'm off to Goodman's for a burger tonight. Slowly working my way up the top ten burgers in London list.

Your spell checker went a bit nuts there.

I think I finally nodded back off not long after that post, only to be woken up again when the boyfriend got up for work at 5. Managed to snooze a bit more till my alarm went off at 6:30. Today is going to be a long day.

After work I'm going for a drink with a friend who's leaving the country soon. Tomorrow I have friends coming up for dinner so will be mostly shopping, prepping and cooking. Sunday is cinema day, seeing Warm Bodies and Wreck it Ralph.

I think I finally nodded back off not long after that post, only to be woken up again when the boyfriend got up for work at 5. Managed to snooze a bit more till my alarm went off at 6:30. Today is going to be a long day.

After work I'm going for a drink with a friend who's leaving the country soon. Tomorrow I have friends coming up for dinner so will be mostly shopping, prepping and cooking. Sunday is cinema day, seeing Warm Bodies and Wreck it Ralph.

Report back on Warm Bodies, looks shite but my cinema viewing habits have gone downhill since having an Unlimited card.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

oh is Wreck it Ralph out now? I know what I'm doing with my nerdy visitor mate on saturday then!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Inc Butt's mix is real real good, the high watermark so far... gonna listen to them all some more over the weekend too, but I'm grooving on this one. Going from Heartbeats into Cake's I Will Survive is genius.

EDIT: oh man the one two punch of the Johnny Cash and James Brown songs too, bravo sir.

Suairyu

Banned
O GOD NO

A family with small children are getting on the coach. Fuck. One of them is already crying. For fucks sake.

THIS is why I know a vasectomy is right for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom