• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

Maybe I'm just mature/old before my time (avatar quote), but I've usually had a good sense of how important/dramatic something is, and so have the people I've hung out with. I can't stand people who make drama over nothing. Or am I just the exception?

Parents seemingly embarrassing you, showing you up, or younger siblings stealing the limelight (ala Inbetweeners) is to me much closer to real life. The scenes with Simon and his younger brother especially.

Might've just been me, but I lapped it up, it was gorgeous.

Chinner

Banned
so part 4 of nobody gives a shit: pricing up my shit. to help bring up the value of consoles i'm going to pack them with a lot of games that are individually not worth shite. so far adding up prices of the individual games that are worth something, i could bring in anything from 200 to 350 quid. i expect the console bundles to push that figure to 500-600.

then? i will organise a britgaf couch ride to scotland for everyone to party with kent'da'paul.

Didn't manage to get to the chippy for a deep fried Mars bar. Used up a Dominos voucher instead and was surprised at how nice the Firenze actually was.

Have got strawberry cheesecake Haagen Dazs for afters. Fat day today.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Anyone watching the BAFTAs?

Fuck, i always miss them, how longs left?

so part 4 of nobody gives a shit: pricing up my shit. to help bring up the value of consoles i'm going to pack them with a lot of games that are individually not worth shite. so far adding up prices of the individual games that are worth something, i could bring in anything from 200 to 350 quid. i expect the console bundles to push that figure to 500-600.

Nice, you must take a picture of your collection in its entirety

I am fascinated to have a glimpse into the life of Chinner

7RhfxK2.png

From Being Human.

SKINNER!

Banned
I would've watched the Baftas but it isn't showing here so I settled with watching Serenity with German dubbing just to hear Kaylee speaking in a hot Allison Brie-esque German accent.

Don't worry Hystzen. Tonight is the night.

(I also feel like shit, I have been sleep-writing for most of the day and I'm probably going to need someone to look over what I've written to make sure it isn't complete gobbledegook)

noffles

Banned
I forced myself into only sleeping for 5 hours last because my pattern is fucked and I wanted to fix it, so I know how you feel. I've also decided to actually do some reading for university, but it's difficult to be enthusiastic about Shakespeare when he's just an archaic relic that this country just can't fucking let go of.

I forced myself into only sleeping for 5 hours last because my pattern is fucked and I wanted to fix it, so I know how you feel. I've also decided to actually do some reading for university, but it's difficult to be enthusiastic about Shakespeare when he's just an archaic relic that this country just can't fucking let go of.
Hamlet is good shit, bro.

f0rk

I'm not even that into English or whatever but this seems like a pretty dumb opinion.

noffles

Banned
Hamlet is good shit, bro.

Hamlet is alright. Macbeth is probably my favourite, if I had to choose.

I'm not even that into English or whatever but this seems like a pretty dumb opinion.

Shakespeare's work is just... not really relevant any more. His work should be considered historical documentation of a time period, not relevant literary work. It's 2013. No such thing as a dumb opinion on it.

Yeah, If you didnt wanna study Willys work, you shouldn't have picked english...

It's not about not wanting to study it, it's about not liking having to study it. I covered that shit back when I were a wean.

f0rk

Shakespeare's work is just... not really relevant any more. His work should be considered historical documentation of a time period, not relevant literary work. It's 2013. No such thing as a dumb opinion on it.

I'm sorry but this is just wrong. Romeo and Juliet is a better example of teenage angst than fucking Skins. I just finished watching House of Cards today which is basically just Macbeth. If Shakesphere wasn't relevant today there wouldn't be so many retellings and adaptations.

Mikeside

Hamlet is alright. Macbeth is probably my favourite, if I had to choose.

It's not about not wanting to study it, it's about not liking having to study it. I covered that shit back when I were a wean.

I disagree, age doesn't bring irrelevance.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm sorry but this is just wrong. Romeo and Juliet is a better example of teenage angst than fucking Skins. I just finished watching House of Cards today which is basically just Macbeth. If Shakesphere wasn't relevant today there wouldn't be so many retellings and adaptations.
I'm a literature grad who dislikes Skins but you're off your rocker if you think a Shakespeare work has this degree of modern 'relevance'. The plays are great for their thematic depth and dramatic ironies, not the presentation of naturalistic emotions.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Shakespeare's work is just... not really relevant any more. His work should be considered historical documentation of a time period, not relevant literary work. It's 2013.
You could not be more wrong. In fact I think you would struggle to find a more relevant historical figure when it comes to English language and literature.
it's about not liking having to study it. I covered that shit back when I were a wean.
Roger that. Don't knock it's validity or relevance just cus you don't want to deal with it though.
define the term. I wouldn't say they are particularly relevant insights into the modern human condition, for example.
Disagree entirely with this. Shakespeare's depiction and lessons about the human condition are just as relevant to humanity back then as they are now. They deal with universal human behaviors not things that have completely changed. Romeo and Juliet aren't the best examples of this however. I would point to Hamlet and to a greater extent, Othello.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Guys guys guys, cmon. Dont burst his bubble, let the man vent.

I'm sorry but this is just wrong. Romeo and Juliet is a better example of teenage angst than fucking Skins.

I see where you are coming from, but what does a fairly average tv show have to with this

Think about the last century

A huge amount of literature that could be studied by Uni students

noffles

Banned

The Romeo and Juliet example is something I absolutely fucking HATE. They're two teenagers who fall in love just by looking at each other and then kill themselves because why the fuck not. Look at the modernised version Romeo+Juliet. It's basically a comedy at the end of it all. We'll take anything for the sake of legacy.

I know that feel bro, but that's life

It'll come in handy...when you become an english teacher

If.

I disagree, age doesn't bring irrelevance.

It does when a lot of his works are written in a world that's a far cry from our own.

I'm a literature grad who dislikes Skins but you're off your rocker if you think a Shakespeare work has this degree of modern 'relevance'. The plays are great for their thematic depth and dramatic ironies, not the presentation of naturalistic emotions.

SEE GUYS, I'M NOT CRAZY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom