• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

For all you 50ppers, come along to:
London Gaf meet up V: 9th March, where all the cool kids hang out, show off their underwear & as a special bonus, Chinner probably won't be there.

Dayum, well carry on looking man! You'll find someone soon enough!

I'm literally only just single, so I'm not looking for anything serious or more than a bit of fun. I probably need reminding every now and then (Thanks to Musha for the quick reality check a week or so ago!) but yeah, it's just about getting out there and not stagnating into a perpetual singleton

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I'm literally only just single, so I'm not looking for anything serious or more than a bit of fun. I probably need reminding every now and then (Thanks to Musha for the quick reality check a week or so ago!) but yeah, it's just about getting out there and not stagnating into a perpetual singleton
That's what i mean silly :p

but you need to find a cool girl to fuck around with dontcha ^_^

Actually for non peasant people it's just in the middle of the page twice

hehe

I dunno man, if I had a gorgeous guitar I'd want to keep it that way.

I really need to get my Squier Tele restrung and teach myself how to play because I think I'd have a lot of fun with it, it's just putting the hours in.

I think that is the case for most guitars but fenders are a bit different, I am very attached to my strat and i do take care of her but each dink is a piece of history, and the wear on the fretboard shows you how i play, although you cant really see it yet in a few years it'll be cray

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey hey! you still havent listened to mine yet have you ;_;

I know it's fucked, but if could gimmee some feedback id be delighted

As for Mrs Sniv

come-at-me-bro.jpg

youve been playing for 12 years and you've never bothered slapping?!

What the hell man, sort it out :p

Haha, I have myself a fender strat and i love the shit out of it, but I dont get people who keep them in a pristine condition, they will last a life time and if they dont look like they've been played and beaten the shit out of, you're doing it wrong

Case in Point - John Frusciantes 1962 American Strat

Even excluding the fact its john frusciante's It's probably worth around $28,000

I started listening last night but it was TV time and I'd been listening to music for like 4 hours by that point so I only got a couple of tracks in. Jimi was good, Incubus less so. Two Incubus and John F tracks though, you're not making it easy for yourself by breaking rules all willy nilly :p

And I never really liked slap bass so I only half heartedly tried it the once. I don't like the sound or groove to it at all, I have a very different style from that. Fuzz and grime, yes. Slaps and pops... eeeeeeeh nah!

Rubbish King

I started listening last night but it was TV time and I'd been listening to music for like 4 hours by that point so I only got a couple of tracks in. Jimi was good, Incubus less so. Two Incubus and John F tracks though, you're not making it easy for yourself by breaking rules all willy nilly :p

And I never really liked slap bass so I only half heartedly tried it the once. I don't like the sound or groove to it at all, I have a very different style from that. Fuzz and grime, yes. Slaps and pops... eeeeeeeh nah!

Ahh i forgot about that rule -_- oops

I love that Hendrix song ^^

Fair enough, but it does take a while to get into

listen to wooten much?

I know there aint much slapping in this but what dya think

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ahh i forgot about that rule -_- oops

I love that Hendrix song ^^

Fair enough, but it does take a while to get into

listen to wooten much?

I know there aint much slapping in this but what dya think

Nope, never heard Wooten, judging now. fakeedit - it's ok and technically great but really not my jam.

Really though I just think that when bass gets too complex it loses what I like from the music - the low end and dirt. Case in point - Squarepusher. I even don't particularly like Flea's bass a lot of the time, would sound a lot funkier if he just slowed down a bit and grooved. This is why my one of my RHCP faves is Parallel Universe, it's so stripped down in how he approaches it.

Examples of what I like as a bassist -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5c3z0GubIQ (crunch crunch crunch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFOpifdJXcs (crunch crunch crunch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8 (bit dubbier)

Or listen to Atlanta Beaver Ruin or Manta Ray from my EP for my favourite basslines that I've written.

Rubbish King

So I have to pay back the overpayment (Damn)

But the letter was pretty nice so I'm okay with it

Hi Tashbrooke

Thank you for your recent letter regarding the overpayment you have recieved from us on 11.01.2013.

I believe we tried to call you however there was no answer, which is why a letter was posted.

The amount outstanding is £MONEY, we are will to look at any payment options that would be convinient to yourself as we wouldn't want to put you into debt.

Can you let me know what sort of payment plan you are thinking of and we can go from there.

Kind Regards

Bank Person that actually was nice and understanding

im okay with this... i guess it's fair although if it had been the other way round, i doubt i would've got my money back

Nope, never heard Wooten, judging now. fakeedit - it's ok and technically great but really not my jam.

Really though I just think that when bass gets too complex it loses what I like from the music - the low end and dirt. Case in point - Squarepusher. I even don't particularly like Flea's bass a lot of the time, would sound a lot funkier if he just slowed down a bit and grooved. This is why my one of my RHCP faves is Parallel Universe, it's so stripped down in how he approaches it.

Examples of what I like as a bassist -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5c3z0GubIQ (crunch crunch crunch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFOpifdJXcs (crunch crunch crunch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8 (bit dubbier)

Or listen to Atlanta Beaver Ruin or Manta Ray from my EP for my favourite basslines that I've written.

Im on the first one, will listen to all of them... So more fuzzy? Like the Scott Pilgrim Bass Battle?:p

Have you heard of Mutemath? They have some awesome basslines!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I have to pay back the overpayment (Damn)

But the letter was pretty nice so I'm okay with it

im okay with this... i guess it's fair although if it had been the other way round, i doubt i would've got my money back

Im on the first one, will listen to all of them... So more fuzzy? Like the Scott Pilgrim Bass Battle?:p

Have you heard of Mutemath? They have some awesome basslines!

Yeah, the SP bass battle was pretty fun. Really I'm just a grunge kid, I like fuzz and spirit > technical skill. It why I don't listen to metal, far too technical, no soul to it. Gimme fuuuuuuzzzzz! :D

Almost finished listening to Jed's playlist now. Next up Mike's, I think.

That Weezer track reminded why I fucking hate them nowadays but apart from that enjoyed the list, really liked Run Overdrive.

Rubbish King

Anybody seen the new Muse Video?

It just doesnt fit the song at all

I feel like i should fix my playlist, but it requiers some serious effort and iTunes just doesnt get one with me, did you manage to fix it Jed?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OK, I'm not doing this for everyone cos it took ages (will instead post more impressions as I listen), but Tash asked so he gets. Warning - most of this is with my tongue in my cheek so don't cry or nuffin. Also my tolerance for mainstream american rock is about 3 songs before I start getting narky, so ymmv:

Jimi - Astro Man - I'm not nearly as well versed on the rock classics as I should be, and have not heard nearly enough Jimi Hendrix. Or maybe I have, I dunno. I liked this anyway, it has the typical Jimi Groove but I've not heard the specifics before. Love that proto chug towards the end. I'm not high enough to get into this properly right now :p

Incubus - Anna Molly - So this is from their fabled second half of their career, right? Everything after Morning View is a mystery to me. Not a bad tune by any measure, although it's let down by the typical Brendan Boyd-isms of the vocals. Still, enjoyably brisk and I can see why people like it.

Velvet Revolver - Quick Machines - ok I was worried about this one, this band remind me of hair dye and conspicuously prominent arm veins. Pretty good song though, it has a nice bouncy vibe to it.

Tool - Right In Two - a rather leftfield choice for a Tool song but i like this one. Nice slow start to give the listener an ear-break before it gets all epic and emo. Fun

Incubus - Adolescents - what is this sorcery??! two songs by the same artist, tsk tsk tsk. Is this one of the required chill songs from each record? I'm imagining Brendan - topless and greying, with sun leather'd skin - singing this at a festival. Again, not my bag but not as offensive as I'd feared. You're winning me over!

Porcupine Tree - Shallow - hey here's a band I've not heard before, cool. The big riff starts out alright but that clean piano that comes in halfway through is supernaff. Made up for by some more fun riffage. I bet the singer in this band wears eyeliner. - oooh, I have a crucial insight into your character, makeup is a common theme so far - are you into guyliner tash??

Deftones - ...butcher - This song is awesome. That is all. . . . . \m/

John Unspellable - Glowe - My bud is a massive Chilli/John fan but I've never really heard any of this guy's solo stuff (my bud has universally poor taste despite being an excellent fellow). I'm quite impressed by how eclectic this is and how pleasant the sound is. I couldn't listen to a whole record of it, but it's a nice palette cleanser after all the riffage

They call themselves the Pumpkins - Pale Horse - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.That first 36 seconds were alright. nuBilly's voice is still terribad though. You know, it's not even a bad song, it's just not the Pumpkins and it feels weird listening to it. Nice positioning in the mix though

John Fruitcunty - In Your Eyes - So this guy's NOT on heroin any more, right?? Actually very well placed next to the pumpkins song, that synthy feel is quite similar. The prize for Oddest Song on the mix goes to... the guy with the false teeth! wooooooo! I actually quite like this.

Foos - Let it Die - again, an odd choice for a band with a gazillion hits. This is one of the few songs from that era that I really like, so I'd go as far as saying 'good choice'. That Davey Gee can really scream his bollocks off innit.

Alter Bridge - Broken Wings - never heard these guys before. tbh it sounds a little 'serious' if you know what I mean. Like Staind or --- oh wait, the chorus just came in... no. Worse than Staind, this sounds like Creed. I listened to the whole thing. I want 5 minutes of my life back you *bastard*

Enter Shikari - Constellations - my research (as in, my preconceived notions) tell me this is a band that young people like. I was expecting dubsteps and knife crime but this is quite nice, I like the guy's accent and the lyrical content. Nice epic ending. Shades of old emo. I can tell they have synthesisers and spikey hair. Pretty good though, a definite win.

Radiohead - ...Homesick... - Ah, a song from my youth. Love this song, can only argue with the fact that both you and Mike are co-captain Obviouses :p

Incubus - Dig - WAIT, three Incubus songs?? are these at least from different records??? It's alright by my threshold for californian shirtlessness has been reached.

The Hives - Walk Idiot - yeeeeeeah boiiii this some good shit. Could maybe have used it a little earlier. I would totally have been OK if you swappen an Incubus song for another Hives song too.

Jet - ...Money... - Don't really know this song or band - aren't these those guys who did that advert? Sounds a lot like Black Keys which is nice, I like a bit of garage rocking. A nice end to proceedings.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Anybody seen the new Muse Video?

It just doesnt fit the song at all

I feel like i should fix my playlist, but it requiers some serious effort and iTunes just doesnt get one with me, did you manage to fix it Jed?

I fixed it by finding that screen you posted of the tracklist and jigging the stuff around. Have you ever used the "Edit Info" option in iTunes?? :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Almost finished listening to Jed's playlist now. Next up Mike's, I think.

That Weezer track reminded why I fucking hate them nowadays but apart from that enjoyed the list, really liked Run Overdrive.

ta, Civil Civic are my indie champs, I pimp them whenever I can. Their guitar is sooooo good! I figure we're even after your Fight Like Apes song. Indie swap.

edit: triple post, stop making me look bad u tardy bitches

noffles

Banned
You guys make me wish I was actually into music. Used to be able to play drums decently, but I haven't touched a kit in about 4 years.

f0rk

Looking forwards to your track by tracks Jedeye!
I'm going to try and get some work done while listening to some tapes tonight.

Rubbish King

OK, I'm not doing this for everyone cos it took ages (will instead post more impressions as I listen), but Tash asked so he gets. Warning - most of this is with my tongue in my cheek so don't cry or nuffin. Also my tolerance for mainstream american rock is about 3 songs before I start getting narky, so ymmv:

Jimi - Astro Man - I'm not nearly as well versed on the rock classics as I should be, and have not heard nearly enough Jimi Hendrix. Or maybe I have, I dunno. I liked this anyway, it has the typical Jimi Groove but I've not heard the specifics before. Love that proto chug towards the end. I'm not high enough to get into this properly right now :p

Incubus - Anna Molly - So this is from their fabled second half of their career, right? Everything after Morning View is a mystery to me. Not a bad tune by any measure, although it's let down by the typical Brendan Boyd-isms of the vocals. Still, enjoyably brisk and I can see why people like it.

Velvet Revolver - Quick Machines - ok I was worried about this one, this band remind me of hair dye and conspicuously prominent arm veins. Pretty good song though, it has a nice bouncy vibe to it.

Tool - Right In Two - a rather leftfield choice for a Tool song but i like this one. Nice slow start to give the listener an ear-break before it gets all epic and emo. Fun

Incubus - Adolescents - what is this sorcery??! two songs by the same artist, tsk tsk tsk. Is this one of the required chill songs from each record? I'm imagining Brendan - topless and greying, with sun leather'd skin - singing this at a festival. Again, not my bag but not as offensive as I'd feared. You're winning me over!

Porcupine Tree - Shallow - hey here's a band I've not heard before, cool. The big riff starts out alright but that clean piano that comes in halfway through is supernaff. Made up for by some more fun riffage. I bet the singer in this band wears eyeliner. - oooh, I have a crucial insight into your character, makeup is a common theme so far - are you into guyliner tash??

Deftones - ...butcher - This song is awesome. That is all. . . . . m/

John Unspellable - Glowe - My bud is a massive Chilli/John fan but I've never really heard any of this guy's solo stuff (my bud has universally poor taste despite being an excellent fellow). I'm quite impressed by how eclectic this is and how pleasant the sound is. I couldn't listen to a whole record of it, but it's a nice palette cleanser after all the riffage

They call themselves the Pumpkins - Pale Horse - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.That first 36 seconds were alright. nuBilly's voice is still terribad though. You know, it's not even a bad song, it's just not the Pumpkins and it feels weird listening to it. Nice positioning in the mix though

John Fruitcunty - In Your Eyes - So this guy's NOT on heroin any more, right?? Actually very well placed next to the pumpkins song, that synthy feel is quite similar. The prize for Oddest Song on the mix goes to... the guy with the false teeth! wooooooo! I actually quite like this.

Foos - Let it Die - again, an odd choice for a band with a gazillion hits. This is one of the few songs from that era that I really like, so I'd go as far as saying 'good choice'. That Davey Gee can really scream his bollocks off innit.

Alter Bridge - Broken Wings - never heard these guys before. tbh it sounds a little 'serious' if you know what I mean. Like Staind or --- oh wait, the chorus just came in... no. Worse than Staind, this sounds like Creed. I listened to the whole thing. I want 5 minutes of my life back you *bastard*

Enter Shikari - Constellations - my research (as in, my preconceived notions) tell me this is a band that young people like. I was expecting dubsteps and knife crime but this is quite nice, I like the guy's accent and the lyrical content. Nice epic ending. Shades of old emo. I can tell they have synthesisers and spikey hair. Pretty good though, a definite win.

Radiohead - ...Homesick... - Ah, a song from my youth. Love this song, can only argue with the fact that both you and Mike are co-captain Obviouses :p

Incubus - Dig - WAIT, three Incubus songs?? are these at least from different records??? It's alright by my threshold for californian shirtlessness has been reached.

The Hives - Walk Idiot - yeeeeeeah boiiii this some good shit. Could maybe have used it a little earlier. I would totally have been OK if you swappen an Incubus song for another Hives song too.

Jet - ...Money... - Don't really know this song or band - aren't these those guys who did that advert? Sounds a lot like Black Keys which is nice, I like a bit of garage rocking. A nice end to proceedings.

Cool, I had so much more but it was just quite rushed, i will do another one in the future but i really want to work on it in time as many song ideas came long after i had posted this..plus with the malarky of the stupid cockup on my end trying to order them totally fucked with my shit

As for incubus, they're all off different albums oh actually Dig and Anna Molly are on the same one i think...Light grenades..

I was under much pressure to make it flow so i did kinda stop putting the songs i wanted to up in fear of them being totally random...i think i failed at that too :L

As for alter bridge i posted the worst example of their works Try Find the real or Mettalingus :p although you may hate them too.. i did wanna put five finger death punch 'Bad Company in there too but it got removed due to it being pretty out of place

Hehe, If you wanna put the fixed version up with yours on Dropbox or something id be eternally grateful ^_^

I fixed it by finding that screen you posted of the tracklist and jigging the stuff around. Have you ever used the "Edit Info" option in iTunes?? :D

Yeah.... it didnt help me much in ordering the list as i didnt wanna change the album names ^^

Also i will be trying to say what i thought about each playlist soon, probably review the shorter ones tonight, oh i forgot to listen to buttocks!

WIll have to listen to that too!

You guys make me wish I was actually into music. Used to be able to play drums decently, but I haven't touched a kit in about 4 years.

Shuup noffles, you can get into music whenever you want! Dont feel like your time has passed! You can still pick up a guitar and learn or go back to drums, i dont really drum anymore btu i still learn songs when i listen to them so when i am faced with the opportunity to play a kit i can try and whack 'em out my head

Really craving a ciggy.. Dad says I'm twitching like a crackhead

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cool, I had so much more but it was just quite rushed, i will do another one in the future but i really want to work on it in time as many song ideas came long after i had posted this..plus with the malarky of the stupid cockup on my end trying to order them totally fucked with my shit

As for incubus, they're all off different albums oh actually Dig and Anna Molly are on the same one i think...Light grenades..

I was under much pressure to make it flow so i did kinda stop putting the songs i wanted to up in fear of them being totally random...i think i failed at that too :L

As for alter bridge i posted the worst example of their works Try Find the real or Mettalingus :p although you may hate them too.. i did wanna put five finger death punch 'Bad Company in there too but it got removed due to it being pretty out of place

Hehe, If you wanna put the fixed version up with yours on Dropbox or something id be eternally grateful ^_^

Yeah.... it didnt help me much in ordering the list as i didnt wanna change the album names ^^

Also i will be trying to say what i thought about each playlist soon, probably review the shorter ones tonight, oh i forgot to listen to buttocks!

WIll have to listen to that too!

Shuup noffles, you can get into music whenever you want! Dont feel like your time has passed! You can still pick up a guitar and learn or go back to drums, i dont really drum anymore btu i still learn songs when i listen to them so when i am faced with the opportunity to play a kit i can try and whack 'em out my head

Really craving a ciggy

I reckon it's just about the right length tbh, no more needed unless you were really going to be changing up styles.

I see what your main problem in putting them together was - instead of editing the original files in your library, all you need to do is COPY all the files to a new folder. That way you keep all your pristine originals and can go rename crazy with the copies. Simples!

But it was a pretty good mix apart from the Incubus overdose in there. Pick one song, unless you're doing it for clever thematic reasons. And you included the worst Alter Bridge song on purpose? Lmao, that's one way to win friends and influence people :)

Rubbish King

I know now, silly mistake.. :p

The alter bridge song alternatives were all a bit too heavy for what I needed.. It is a bit "It's beeeen Whhhiiiile" level of cheese :p

Hystzen

Be awesome if Jed did a amazing review for all of us but that is alot of work, I think we all should do very quick summaries of each others with 1 track that stood out and why.

I kind of wanted feedback mainly to find out if I can push the music further kind of held back to due thinking people wont listen to half of shit i listen too lol.

Already got idea for another one, Mikes epic tale of dating gave me idea to do a relationship one from the first moment see them to the eventual downfall, everybody had a failed relationship at least once so be interesting to play with

Rubbish King

Just rented dead space 3..So I didn't have to pay the fine.. Aww yiss
Be awesome if Jed did a amazing review for all of us but that is alot of work, I think we all should do very quick summaries of each others with 1 track that stood out and why.

I kind of wanted feedback mainly to find out if I can push the music further kind of held back to due thinking people wont listen to half of shit i listen too lol.

Already got idea for another one, Mikes epic tale of dating gave me idea to do a relationship one from the first moment see them to the eventual downfall, everybody had a failed relationship at least once so be interesting to play with

You'll be getting feedback from me when I have time to write it out in detail, but I just rented dead space 3 so it probably won't be till tomorrow.. I've got yours on my phone hehe, although some of the songs aren't my style I quite like the parkway drive one

Just rented dead space 3..So I didn't have to pay the fine.. Aww yiss

You'll be getting feedback from me when I have time to write it out in detail, but I just rented dead space 3 so it probably won't be till tomorrow.. I've got yours on my phone hehe, although some of the songs aren't my style I quite like the parkway drive one

I've only got Jed, Mike and Shorty's list. Anybody want to pm me theirs?

I'll send you the link to my Spotify list instead of that YouTube link I posted.

Still thinking of the stuff I left out, glad I didn't put Radiohead, Bran Van 3000 or Modest Mouse in as Mike did already. Grease box by Tad didn't make the cut either as it didn't fit where it would've had to go.

Rubbish King

I've only got Jedburgh, Mike and Short yes list. Anybody want to pm me theirs?

I'll send you the link to my Spotify list instead of that YouTube link I posted.

Still thinking of the stuff I left out, glad I didn't put Radiohead, Bran Van 3000 or Modest Mouse in as Mike did already. Grease box by Tad didn't make the cut either as it didn't fit where it would've had to go.

I will soon but I will see if i can get the fixed version of Jedeye as the i failed epically and putting them in the right order etc

i totally fucked mine up

Just got Coursework back that I stayed up till 4am doing, back in the library from 10am till 3.30pm on the day of the deadline (which was at 4pm)......80%!

YEAH!

Just got Coursework back that I stayed up till 4am doing, back in the library from 10am till 3.30pm on the day of the deadline (which was at 4pm)......80%!

YEAH!

Well done sir.

I'm on mid-term this week so I'm at home doing my project work. There's no exams on the course so they're pretty important. The bright side is being finished about three weeks before the rest of the college.

Suairyu

Banned
....i guess but i wanted more deats
Django is a return for Tarrantino to his Resevoir Dogs tone in storytelling. There are laughs and quirky characters, sure, but the tone is one much more serious and honest. It is not what you'd call a 'Tarantino movie' these days. For the record, I love both styles of Tarantino, and Django was a triumph. One of his best.

Wreck It Ralph is a thoroughly enjoyable Disney movie. But it's pretty standard. Like, fluff. But two things elevated it to worth a watch status:
1 - The genuinely good game references. I mean, they reference fucking Tapper. I bet you don't even know what that game is, Tash. And that's my point. These folks love games.
2 - The animated short before the movie itself. I had a tear in my eye. Just one. And it was small. But it was there.

SO like, go see both.

f0rk

Jedeye why are all these people shouting. My bands shouted a bit but not like this, they need to chill out or something

ok CIVIL CIVIC I can fuck with as long as someone isn't go to come and ruin it with vocals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom