• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Pokemon Red is borderline unplayable nowadays.

Also the Game Boy library reaaaaaallllyyyy sucked. Like, incredibly bad stuff. Link's Awakening? Amazing. Pokemon? Great. Mario Lands are good. Tetris is Tetris, so it's amazing. And that's pretty much everything worth playing at all.

Does that also include Gameboy Colour?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
yeah true, gba can play gameboy original and colour games, including the best pokemon game, red.

And the best Tetris. My SP is officially a Tetris machine.

Oh actually, would anyone be interested in a Tetris competition? OG Gameboy version only, screenshots for proof. Anyone else have it kicking around?

I really do need to try that iOS TWEWY remake one day. I love the original, and Remix sounded like sacrilege at first (I imagine it's how SM64 purists feel about the DS version not having an analogue stick), but I love that game so much I must know for myself one day.

LostWinds iOS is garbage though. Plays like trash. It's not fiddly-yet-workable like a lot of iOS ports, your GTAs or whatever, it's just bad.

Does that also include Gameboy Colour?

I don't think so, GBC had more. It wasn't much better but at least it had stuff like Shantae, Metal Gear Ghost Babel and Pokemon Pinball.

SKINNER!

Banned
Also the Game Boy library reaaaaaallllyyyy sucked. Like, incredibly bad stuff. Link's Awakening? Amazing. Pokemon? Great. Mario Lands are good. Tetris is Tetris, so it's amazing. And that's pretty much everything worth playing at all.

You sometimes got the odd good licensed game if you were lucky. The Disney and TMNT ones come to mind. EDIT: Donkey Kong Country too.

Lirlond, aww that sucks about the muffins. Hope it's all going ok though :)

SteveWD40

In the past year I've played Baldur's Gate, GTA3 and Vice City, FF Tactics, FF4, Carmageddon, Clash of Heroes, Aquaria, Bastion, Lost Winds, TWEWY, Joe Danger, and those are just the ports. iOS is a fantastic platform, I have absolutely no need to get a dedicated gaming handheld again. Not to mention the really fantastic puzzle games and score attack arcade games. The Jeff Minter stuff is worth it alone.

I agree that the Angry Birds and Cut the Ropes of iOS are shitty, but I don't play any of those. Dig just a little and there's more than you'll ever even have time for.

Preach Brother.

There is room in the market for dedicated handlhelds, they just need to get them right and lower their expectations.

iOS is like the PC back in the 90's, you would get those discs with "99 games" on and it would be 80% shit and 20% slice of fried gold.

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone still thinking the original Pokemon games are the best haven't played any Pokemon game since.

Are the new ones any different apart from just more pokemon and a lick of colour? Loved the hell out of Yellow and traded a boxed Pokemon Gold after a week of playing it. Somewhat regret it now as I believe Gold might've been the better game. hmm, might pick up the DS one someday if I feel nostalgic.

Suairyu

Banned
Ahaha people in Birmingham GAME dressed up as colonial marines for some terrible game's launch.

I wonder how it feels to know that you've hit rock bottom.

Are the new ones any different apart from just more pokemon and a lick of colour? Loved the hell out of Yellow and traded a boxed Pokemon Gold after a week of playing it. Somewhat regret it now as I believe Gold might've been the better game. hmm, might pick up the DS one someday if I feel nostalgic.

Not particularly, but if it's been that long it probably won't matter. It has menus not designed by Satan, at least! Oh and as of Black the Pokemon aren't just still sprites (they're still ugly though, X/Y can't come soon enough).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I really do need to try that iOS TWEWY remake one day. I love the original, and Remix sounded like sacrilege at first (I imagine it's how SM64 purists feel about the DS version not having an analogue stick), but I love that game so much I must know for myself one day.

LostWinds iOS is garbage though. Plays like trash. It's not fiddly-yet-workable like a lot of iOS ports, your GTAs or whatever, it's just bad.

I don't think so, GBC had more. It wasn't much better but at least it had stuff like Shantae, Metal Gear Ghost Babel and Pokemon Pinball.

Ironically I hated TWEWY for many reasons (shite music, annoying talking all the time, fairly middling gameplay) but I had a lovely time with Lost Winds. I agree that the controls take some getting used to - I thought they were fiddly until I realised I was actually doing it wrong and then I breezed through the whole game.

Because you didn't buy 'em.

Zero Mission did 500k+ worldwide, which seems impressive enough for a remake of a NES game on the GBA. Fusion broke a million.

No, what actually happened is Sakamoto was more interested in making Other M. If that hadn't bombed, we'd be getting the sequel to that. That asshole killed 2D Metroid, not "us".

70524_v1.jpg

In the past year I've played Baldur's Gate, GTA3 and Vice City, FF Tactics, FF4, Carmageddon, Clash of Heroes, Aquaria, Bastion, Lost Winds, TWEWY, Joe Danger, and those are just the ports. iOS is a fantastic platform, I have absolutely no need to get a dedicated gaming handheld again. Not to mention the really fantastic puzzle games and score attack arcade games. The Jeff Minter stuff is worth it alone.

I agree that the Angry Birds and Cut the Ropes of iOS are shitty, but I don't play any of those. Dig just a little and there's more than you'll ever even have time for.

All of those available on dedicated gaming consoles, with (imho) much better controls.
I have tried GTA on a friend's iPAD, and I just couldn't get into the controls.

Sure, I could grab an external joypad or some weird attachment (which will probably feel worse), but at that point I think I'd prefer just sticking to a dedicated portable.

That's just my opinion though.

Reknoc

It's not even a good Jade Cocoon game which is in-arguably the best Pokemon game.

I mean you could try to argue, but I'll just ignore you.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
All of those available on dedicated gaming consoles, with (imho) much better controls.

Sure, I could grab an external joypad or some weird attachment (which will probably feel worse), but at that point I think I'd prefer just sticking to a dedicated portable.

Most of them are, yeah, but most of them aren't portable either. And onscreen controls are something that lots of people can't use properly. Cos they suck. But I find them fine - not as good as sticks and buttons but still very playable. I completed all of GTA3 on iPad and am working through VC still.

My point is that it's not really lolphonegames, there's quite a bredth of fairly deep experiences on there if you can look past the surface level.

SKINNER!

Banned

Totally the same man. I mean, they look fantastic and all but I just can't put up with touch screen controls. and I wouldn't mind getting a game controller attachment but I rarely ever carry a backpack with me so I'll end up carrying a bulky controller in my pocket.

Suairyu

Banned
Things witnessed in a Birmingham McDonald's:

A man taking a dump and not washing his hands.

A mcflurry machine that was out of ice cream.

Clearly people living in Birmingham are the scum of the earth

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I bought vice city on the S3 hoping for a nostalgia filled awesome time. The controls ruined that for me.

I may as well buy one of they little pads you can clip your phone into for mobile gaming.

games like this work best on phones

1.jpg.jpg

Chinner

Banned
Anyone still thinking the original Pokemon games are the best haven't played any Pokemon game since.

Nah, it's basically the same formula but with stupid shit thrown in; breeding, wwe wrestling, 3v3, shit flinging, boring new pokemon.

it's gotten to a point where the series needs a refresh and they just need to rework the core mechanics and make them fun again.

it's gotten to a point where the series needs a refresh and they just need to rework the core mechanics and make them fun again.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

I find it funny how the series has evolved as much as Street Fighter has since SF2 in terms of how it actually plays and no-one ever says "yeah Street Fighter needs a refresh". It's almost as if these series are built around iteration...

Selfish Pizza

Neo Member
It's a terrible Pokemon game though, the mechanic for capturing familiars is awful.

That is true, and it has a awful battle system. I just have a addiction to levelling up, and I can't stop till I hit the cap.

That's pretty much why I avoid pokemon games. I gotta catch them all, then level them to the max.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What is GAF doing for Valentines anyway? I'm barely going to see Mrs Sniv from tomorrow to saturday so it's fairly low-key for us. I have arranged flowers and chocs to be sent to her shop on Thursday though. I've never done it before so she should be appropriately shocked and happy. Then we'll probably just wait a week and go out for a date the following weekend.

Darren870

So, I am thinking of going to Oxford or Cambridge this weekend for a night or two. Any thoughts on which to see?

Any recommendations on what to see or where to go or where to eat?

Hystzen

You might as well just watch a video of someone playing it at this point. A horror game with no stakes is no horror game innit.

I loved the first two Dead Spaces but I have absolutely no interest in this one. Marketing fail, EA. I'm currently playing Xcom and loving it though, the game is stunning, it's everything I ever wanted.

Dead Space 2 was not really a horror game that was massive set pieces followed by wave shooting, DS3 is just same really

Also Xcom is boss the new free DLC they added in the patch is amazing letting you add extra details to the campaign

fuck cyberdisks and setapods

Mikeside

What the fuck is with all the talk about videogames in this thread?
I didn't know you people even played them.

My Valentines plans are... non-existent! I'm actually fairly excited about it, as I've never been single for it before.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'm playing skyrim on my xbox 360, pretty awesome game. Running through the misty mountains going on adventures.

So many quests and elder scrolls lore goodness

Chinner

Banned
Don't fix what isn't broken.

I find it funny how the series has evolved as much as Street Fighter has since SF2 in terms of how it actually plays and no-one ever says "yeah Street Fighter needs a refresh". It's almost as if these series are built around iteration...

the difference between pokemon and street fighter is that in SF the mechanical systems pretty much sorted, and all they can do is iterate the details of balancing. obviously still a cash grab most of the time mind. pokemon on the other hand is still using the mechanics originating from 1996, and with the advancement of technology they could be reinvented in new and interesting ways.

Hystzen

I was foolish enough to buy Skyrim on Ps3......yeah

My Valentines plan is to grab the girl I'm dating/not dating then throw her in my dungeon then slip in food through the cell bars....girls love that right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom