• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

What, never? Damn, but you were a fast-developing toddler. :p

For the record, it's overrated.

OK redname, I haven't been single for it since I was about 15, happy??

But yeah, thinking I might go into town and have a bit of a boogie. Maybe the single ladies of Berkshire & Surrey will be desperate for a bit of Mike.

Reknoc

Don't fix what isn't broken.

I find it funny how the series has evolved as much as Street Fighter has since SF2 in terms of how it actually plays and no-one ever says "yeah Street Fighter needs a refresh". It's almost as if these series are built around iteration...

To be fair though, a new Street Fighter is a lot less common than a new Pokemon and everyone shits on any of the "super" versions.

That is true, and it has a awful battle system. I just have a addiction to levelling up, and I can't stop till I hit the cap.

That's pretty much why I avoid pokemon games. I gotta catch them all, then level them to the max.

I didn't mind the combat too much at first, but after a while it just meant combat took too long for the mook enemies. I kinda stopped caring about the game after a week and decided to get back to trying to plat the Musou games I have.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Dead Space 2 was not really a horror game that was massive set pieces followed by wave shooting, DS3 is just same really

Also Xcom is boss the new free DLC they added in the patch is amazing letting you add extra details to the campaign

fuck cyberdisks and setapods
DS3 is actually awesome so far, they've done what a good sequel should do, it's sprouted wings and and flown away, so far i think its fucking awesome, brand new environments and new characters, there are still aspects to horror, there is alot more action but not in a call of duty "Explosions and gun fire every 5 seconds" Although at the start the pacing wasnt great it's started to exceed my expectations
2013-02-12152715_zpsc7022dcc.jpg

Here's a screenshot....i took it on my phone but when i came out of a dark cave to this... i was taken aback
I was foolish enough to buy Skyrim on Ps3......yeah
You fool, i bought my sister xbox off her for skyrim, and it was a smart move
I'm playing skyrim on my xbox 360, pretty awesome game. Running through the misty mountains going on adventures.

So many quests and elder scrolls lore goodness
Played the dlcs?
OK redname, I haven't been single for it since I was about 15, happy??

But yeah, thinking I might go into town and have a bit of a boogie. Maybe the single ladies of Berkshire & Surrey will be desperate for a bit of Mike.
lol
Code for a cry-wank.
Can't us singletons just wank?

Why does crying have to be involved?

What is GAF doing for Valentines anyway? I'm barely going to see Mrs Sniv from tomorrow to saturday so it's fairly low-key for us. I have arranged flowers and chocs to be sent to her shop on Thursday though. I've never done it before so she should be appropriately shocked and happy. Then we'll probably just wait a week and go out for a date the following weekend.

The last few years I've cooked a nice meal for the boyfriend. But I had friends over on the weekend who I cooked for so I'm all cooked out. Plus my brother and his family are coming to stay on Friday so I don't need a load of washing up to do the day before.

So instead we're going to Prezzo as it's only about 50 yards from my flat. The bloke has already bought my present so I need to hurry up and get his. No idea what to get though, any reasonable suggestions?

What is GAF doing for Valentines anyway? I'm barely going to see Mrs Sniv from tomorrow to saturday so it's fairly low-key for us. I have arranged flowers and chocs to be sent to her shop on Thursday though. I've never done it before so she should be appropriately shocked and happy. Then we'll probably just wait a week and go out for a date the following weekend.

My girlfriend has a restaurant to review, probably tomorrow so that'll be our Valentine's meal. Nice money saver although we never normally go out on Valentine's day anyway.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

Well APPARENTLY im crying and wanking!

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
dear tashbrooke, I just started a new run so it will be a long time before i run out of content and buy the DLC!

Dear scotgaf, fuck buckfast is a sweet nectar of joy, My first bottle in months

Suairyu

Banned
A Scottish man boarded the wrong coach and is only now realizing after travelling three hours in the wrong direction.

His constructive plan of action is to make physical threats to the driver.

I have doubled checked my seatbelt is secure in event of escalation-induced crash.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So, I am thinking of going to Oxford or Cambridge this weekend for a night or two. Any thoughts on which to see?

Any recommendations on what to see or where to go or where to eat?

Oxford's got more. Cambridge is more like a village surrounded by a university.

If going to Oxford: see the Pitt Rivers museum and Duke Humfrey's library, breakfast at Brown's in the market, Dine at the Trout, drink at the Turf Tavern, take in a few colleges (Christ Church, Oriel, Magdalen, Trinity, New College Cloisters spring to mind). Walk on Port Meadow at dawn, climb the tower of the University Church with a camera, visit Blackwell's. I don't know if the "Daily Information" is still published but if so you'll find it posted everywhere in town and it will have details of plays, concerts, events etc. If you're into music try a recital or a concert at the beautiful Holywell Music Rooms.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
A Scottish man boarded the wrong coach and is only now realizing after travelling three hours in the wrong direction.

His constructive plan of action is to make physical threats to the driver.

I have doubled checked my seatbelt is secure in event of escalation-induced crash.
Resisting the urge.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCKING GOT FLEETWOOD MAC TIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done but aren't they inflicting new material on people at their shows?

Mikeside

Oxford's got more. Cambridge is more like a village surrounded by a university.

If going to Oxford: see the Pitt Rivers museum and Duke Humfrey's library, breakfast at Brown's in the market, Dine at the Trout, drink at the Turf Tavern, take in a few colleges (Christ Church, Oriel, Magdalen, Trinity, New College Cloisters spring to mind). Walk on Port Meadow at dawn, climb the tower of the University Church with a camera, visit Blackwell's. I don't know if the "Daily Information" is still published but if so you'll find it posted everywhere in town and it will have details of plays, concerts, events etc. If you're into music try a recital or a concert at the beautiful Holywell Music Rooms.

What would 'taking in a few colleges' actually entail? Bit of a scenic walk around them or is there more to it?

No idea. After I missed them last time, I resolved to not miss them if they did another tour.

I do want to see them but totally forgot. My artists to see before they die list is getting slowly wittled down. Still gutted about missing the Stooges a few years back but at least I got to see Macca before his voice went to shit.

Selfish Pizza

Neo Member

A guy I work with paid £250 for a pair of those the other day. I'd expect a private proformace of go your own way in my front room for that.

Nice one!

I quite like the Mac but not enough to fork out to go see them.

the difference between pokemon and street fighter is that in SF the mechanical systems pretty much sorted, and all they can do is iterate the details of balancing. obviously still a cash grab most of the time mind. pokemon on the other hand is still using the mechanics originating from 1996, and with the advancement of technology they could be reinvented in new and interesting ways.

I'm curious as to what you can suggest. I can't think of anything that wouldn't drastically change the gameplay to the point of it just being a different thing. I don't what ATB or anything like that, for example, it still needs to be turn-based.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What would 'taking in a few colleges' actually entail? Bit of a scenic walk around them or is there more to it?

Depends what's open, which varies depending what's going on and whether it is term time and so on. Mostly its a (short) scenic walk (so I mentioned Oriel because it is the prettiest of the small colleges), in Christ Church the Cathedral (which doubles as the College chapel) is always open as, I think, are the lovely cloisters at New College. Some of them occasionally open historic libraries and so on, nearly all will let you visit the chapel, sometimes there are concerts and suchlike. But mostly it's getting that sense of the long history of learning going on in these closed, monastic palaces - like visiting Greek monasteries only colder.

Suairyu

Banned
Scottish man is now on the phone to National Express HQ. He is shouting down the phone that once he is on a return coach and reaches his original departure point, he will "smash the fookin' man's head into his desk" for putting him on the wrong coach.

Seconds later, he shouts, "calling the fookin' police? You are having a fookin' laugh!"

This coach may become famous yet.

I'm curious as to what you can suggest. I can't think of anything that wouldn't drastically change the gameplay to the point of it just being a different thing. I don't what ATB or anything like that, for example, it still needs to be turn-based.

Quicktime events to attack in battle. Quicktime events make everything better.

Seriously tho', outside of the battle stuff I'd love the game to have a bigger scope. My idea centres on having three roads/routes between each town. One is quick and easy- minimal trainers and items, very little long grass, and crap Pokemon to catch. The second offers a longer route, but much more remote, more items, (optional?) dungeons, and rarer Pokemon to catch, and a few trainers. Third route is of a similar length, but chock full of trainers, and a few decent Pokemon.

Between some of the towns, some of pathways two and three are hard as balls, and all but the best players will have to come back at higher levels to complete them fully.
Finally some optional sidequests and minigames thrown in, expanding story and gameplay.

Not sure about battle scenes though, especially now its jumped to 3d Pokemon with some actual animations, that might be enough to freshen them up.

@Vashetti- my man. Soooogood.gif

Quicktime events to attack in battle. Quicktime events make everything better.

Seriously tho', outside of the battle stuff I'd love the game to have a bigger scope. My idea centres on having three roads/routes between each town. One is quick and easy- minimal trainers and items, very little long grass, and crap Pokemon to catch. The second offers a longer route, but much more remote, more items, (optional?) dungeons, and rarer Pokemon to catch, and a few trainers. Third route is of a similar length, but chock full of trainers, and a few decent Pokemon.

Between some of the towns, some of pathways two and three are hard as balls, and all but the best players will have to come back at higher levels to complete them fully.
Finally some optional sidequests and minigames thrown in, expanding story and gameplay.

Not sure about battle scenes though, especially now its jumped to 3d Pokemon with some actual animations, that might be enough to freshen them up.

@Vashetti- my man. Soooogood.gif

Oh yes, this or anything at all to improve upon environments, exploration and progression is seriously needed. I dream of a Pokemon game with the scope of something like Skyrim, but that's never happening- there's a middle ground though which Game Freak should be looking to occupy. X and Y footage so far hasn't got me confident, looks like GF still have training wheels on with regards to 3D graphics...

I was more talking about the actual battle system, though. I think it's perfect, and the little changes over the years have been enough to freshen it up. They just need to surface the hidden stats so that level of the game isn't reserved for FAQ-wielding nutjobs- oh, and like you implied, more challenging trainers- battles that would actually require you to do some EV-training, with some meaty rewards tied to accomplishing those challenges. (Seriously, how about locking a legendary behind an almighty, rock hard champion battle rather than a shitty wi-fi event for a change.)

Chinner

Banned

my suggestion of improvements doesnt really = every idea possible, just before you pull that card you sneaky thing you. i'd like to see the long grass mechanic thrown out, it's just lame really. if you could actually see the pokemon, and you would have to explore dangerous examples to find rare pokemon that would be cool, but that would require bigger enviroments. combat could stay turn-based i suppose, but id like an element of real time thrown in. how? dunno. itd be cool if they could factor in positioning, and if attacks would range limited to a degree, which means you could level up your pokemon to be a close/long range based build or whatever.

edit: also yeah more interesting enviroments nad stuff.

A guy I work with paid £250 for a pair of those the other day. I'd expect a private proformace of go your own way in my front room for that.

Yeah, the tickets aren't cheap, but I'm in block A3. Got two tickets, my gf loves them as well. It can be her birthday present since it's like 4 days later. I'm going to surprise her with them.

Oh yes, this or anything at all to improve upon environments, exploration and progression is seriously needed. I dream of a Pokemon game with the scope of something like Skyrim, but that's never happening- there's a middle ground though which Game Freak should be looking to occupy. X and Y footage so far hasn't got me confident, looks like GF still have training wheels on with regards to 3D graphics...

I was more talking about the actual battle system, though. I think it's perfect, and the little changes over the years have been enough to freshen it up. They just need to surface the hidden stats so that level of the game isn't reserved for FAQ-wielding nutjobs- oh, and like you implied, more challenging trainers- battles that would actually require you to do some EV-training, with some meaty rewards tied to accomplishing those challenges. (Seriously, how about locking a legendary behind an almighty, rock hard champion battle rather than a shitty wi-fi event for a change.)

I've dreamed of sidequests since I was a kid- watching the anime, then playing Pokemon Yellow straight after. Ash would get to go on crazy adventures on each episode, and whilst the games were great, it just wasn't as fun traveling 50 metres from one town to another, with a Zubat dungeon if I was lucky.

You're right actually about the new games: X and Y still look like a cleaned up Dragon Quest IX at the moment. Forgot completely about the EV stuff- I've never looked at it twice for that very reason.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Don't forget that GameFreak and Nintendo have no incentive to do all the extra work it would require to change it up though. They don't even have a good reason to risk it. Just rehash the same formula for guaranteed sales.

my suggestion of improvements doesnt really = every idea possible, just before you pull that card you sneaky thing you. i'd like to see the long grass mechanic thrown out, it's just lame really. combat could stay turn-based i suppose, but id like an element of real time thrown in. how? dunno. itd be cool if they could factor in positioning, and if attacks would range limited to a degree, which means you could level up your pokemon to be a range/attack based build or whatever.

edit: also yeah more interesting enviroments nad stuff.

Haha, no, I wasn't thinking of doing that! Yeah I see where you're coming from. The 3v3 battles and rotation battles actually do have some positioning mechanics but they've been shunned by pretty much everyone so I guess that says a lot about that... But yes, I guess a game like that would be interesting. They do have the system to build heavily towards attack or defence, speed or HP, etc but it is somewhat limited to tanks and sweepers (or support I guess, and those tend to skew towards tank or sweeper themselves), so maybe a range mechanic would mix things up.

It'd be fertile ground for a spin-off, or a reboot should hell freeze over and the games stop selling.

Don't forget that GameFreak and Nintendo have no incentive to do all the extra work it would require to change it up though. They don't even have a good reason to risk it. Just rehash the same formula for guaranteed sales.

We know. Nintendo do it for all their other franchises, so why should Pokemon be different? Nice to dream though.

Hystzen

Dont forget the looking around the room to create new Pokemon , whats in the bin that day = new pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom