• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the last series of Peep Show was great. Better than the couple before. Nothing will ever attain the beautiful heights of series 4, though. It had all the best episodes in it. The stag do, burning dan's barn, the wedding etc.

Hystzen

Heh odd never seen anybody have issues with the term "no homo" until yesterday on GAF, I never used it but people seem to say its offensive and comparing it to when people start a sentence with "Im not racist but". Dont think ever seen that til now

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I dunno, I think the No Homo backlash has been brewing a little while. I gotta say, I think the people that use it for real are first class cunts. There's an insecurity and homophobia implied by it. I like to reverse it and say "actually a bit homo" after I compliment or grope up my mates.

I dunno, I think the No Homo backlash has been brewing a little while. I gotta say, I think the people that use it for real are first class cunts. There's an insecurity and homophobia implied by it. I like to reverse it and say "actually a bit homo" after I compliment or grope up my mates.

I've yet to see anyone use it seriously first hand. Only to take the piss.

There's a proportion of gafers who are very touchy (no homo) about anything that could be deemed offensive to anyone. Pretty small one but still. I love alcohol threads too, because then anyone who likes a drink is shot down as alcoholics.

Hystzen

See thats part I dont get, it clearly a open joke against that i wonder if people just getting wrong end of the stick or over thinking.

I seen my mates say it then after just smile and say "actually a bit homo"

maybe english people are more relaxed about sexuality heck me and my friends openly talk about guys who think are attractive and other stuff.

Juicy Bob

There's a proportion of gafers who are very touchy (no homo) about anything that could be deemed offensive to anyone. Pretty small one but still. I love alcohol threads too, because then anyone who likes a drink is shot down as alcoholics.
I do think it's a good thing that some people are willing to question the things that we say though. If we don't address the issues that exist in our society, it's unlikely we'll be able to change them.

I do think it's a good thing that some people are willing to question the things that we say though. If we don't address the issues that exist in our society, it's unlikely we'll be able to change them.

Maybe because it's been said over a forum, and therefore lacking a facial expression to read off, but in person it is pretty obvious whether someone is saying it seriously or in jest.

Juicy Bob

Maybe because it's been said over a forum, and therefore lacking a facial expression to read off, but in person it is pretty obvious whether someone is saying it seriously or in jest.
Absolutely. I agree. Unfortunately, I think that even joking around in that way can be an issue, but that's just how I personally feel.

I'm going to drop the subject now though, because this thread should be a safe haven from serious discussion bollocks and I'm not trying to be That Guy. :p

In other news, Jeremy Paxman is a right Jeremy.

Hystzen

70H88b2.png

Mikeside

I don't see a problem with "no homo" if used within a group of people where everyone knows that nobody in the group has a problem with homosexuality, it's when you take it out of that context and it has the possibility of being perceived differently.

There's too much genuine homophobia, sexism and racism in the world for me to feel comfortable joking about it unless it's specifically in a group of people where I know that everyone knows with 100% certainty that there's no malice or ignorance behind the joke. For that reason, I tend to steer clear, because I'd hate to make a gay person, minority/differently coloured person or woman feel uncomfortable when there are already enough people doing that on purpose.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't see a problem with "no homo" if used within a group of people where everyone knows that nobody in the group has a problem with homosexuality, it's when you take it out of that context and it has the possibility of being perceived differently.

There's too much genuine homophobia, sexism and racism in the world for me to feel comfortable joking about it unless it's specifically in a group of people where I know that everyone knows with 100% certainty that there's no malice or ignorance behind the joke. For that reason, I tend to steer clear, because I'd hate to make a gay person, minority/differently coloured person or woman feel uncomfortable when there are already enough people doing that on purpose.

That is the absolute best way to say that, well done. I agree 100%

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

Wisdom

Mikeside

That is the absolute best way to say that, well done. I agree 100%

I never really thought about it until a friend of mine came out and I suddenly thought "oh shit, I hope he knows exactly what my intentions were when I made gay jokes" - we talked about it and he obviously did, but I've been a lot more concious of what I say since then because if it had made him uncomfortable then he'd have found it even harder to be honest about who he really is & if that was me, I've fucking hate that.

I'm full of it.

Also, update on MikeValentines, Casey isn't busy tonight but had a shit day so she's going to curl up in bed and have an early night, but she gave me a call and had a huge rant about her shitty day... we had a laugh and everything, so either I'm being friendzoned or she's establishing some kind of interest? I don't know... I think I'm going to invite her to tomorrow night and see where that gets me

Hystzen

Also, update on MikeValentines, Casey isn't busy tonight but had a shit day so she's going to curl up in bed and have an early night, but she gave me a call and had a huge rant about her shitty day... we had a laugh and everything, so either I'm being friendzoned or she's establishing some kind of interest? I don't know... I think I'm going to invite her to tomorrow night and see where that gets me

5yv3K.jpg

Looks like cry-wank is back on the menu boys

just keep texting before asking her for a night try figure out what her plan is

slow and steady wins the race

Mikeside

5yv3K.jpg

Looks like cry-wank is back on the menu boys

just keep texting before asking her for a night try figure out what her plan is

slow and steady wins the race

That's the plan. That and Dead Space 3.

I should clarify that when I say 'that's the plan', I'm talking about texting before asking. Not the cry-wank.

...I might also be talking about the cry-wank

Rubbish King

My avatar is pissed off about the haircut, not cry-wanking. Sorry :(

I'm still pissed off about the haircut, by the way.

I hope you thought about Meadows' girlfriend during.
Otherwise you did it wrong.

lol

I did it right then

I just had the urge to watch Mulan

But i have decided that i need to watch Mark Wahlberg snipe lots of people instead.

Suairyu

Banned
Home from work.

Going to eat dinner, grab a quick shower, then go back to work.

FUCK YEAH DEADLINES

Heh odd never seen anybody have issues with the term "no homo" until yesterday on GAF, I never used it but people seem to say its offensive and comparing it to when people start a sentence with "Im not racist but". Dont think ever seen that til now
Well, "homo" is a slur for homosexuals. It's like "dyke" for lesbians. Or even "jap" for japanese if you want a 'shorten the word to make a slur' comparison.

I mean, imagine if someone said, "Melanie C looked her best during her 'Northern Star' era. No dyke!!!!" or "I'm really enjoying Cowboy Bebop. No jap!!!!"

That said, I don't think people using the term intend it to be "homo" as in the insult "homo", but instead a quirky shortening of "homosexual". In their ignorance, they likely don't know about or don't equate it to the slur. Still, ignorance is a problem, and people should be educated that the phrase isn't cool.

No need to leap on anyone, mind, just point out they're being a bit douchey and should pick a different phrase.

Hystzen

My plans been shuffled to tomorrow due to her being in uni tomorrow no point coming here then go back to crewe.

FFS Crysis would be so much better if they didn't have enemies being spawn shitted out of your arse every 2 minutes

Mikeside

If I could be arsed I'd put some tears on it. But I can't.
Could always shave it off? Or go for the long on top, short on sides look that's current in trend?

Nah, I'm just going to let nature take it's course - it'll grow out and I'll be back to the sexual dynamite you're all used to.

Suairyu

Banned
FFS Crysis would be so much better if they didn't have enemies being spawn shitted out of your arse every 2 minutes
You talking about 1 or 2? I don't remember any spawning in Crysis 1, really. Enemies tended to just be where they'd always be. Complete, awesome sandbox.

Nah, I'm just going to let nature take it's course - it'll grow out and I'll be back to the sexual dynamite you're all used to.
I honestly think short hair suits you better.

Hystzen

You talking about 1 or 2? I don't remember any spawning in Crysis 1, really. Enemies tended to just be where they'd always be. Complete, awesome sandbox.

1 up to mission where need get on a boat to disable a jammer, i clear a area then be shot in the back when more enemies appear from nowhere. Doesn't help psycho is meant be your eye in the sky but he just starting into the sky with his rifle suppose he correct in one way.

Doesn't help this laptop runs it like shit..can play Shogun 2 with Very high but Crysis needs be low with laughably low resolution

I really need get a desktop

f0rk

1 up to mission where need get on a boat to disable a jammer, i clear a area then be shot in the back when more enemies appear from nowhere. Doesn't help psycho is meant be your eye in the sky but he just starting into the sky with his rifle suppose he correct in one way.

I don't ever remember this happening. I don't think anything 'spawns' like that in Crysis. You need to scout around and shit more

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I honestly think short hair suits you better.

I thought Crisis 1 was shit as soon as the ice came. The first few island levels are fun but it sours super quickly and turns into a very linear and boring shooter. That ending was atrocious. I thought that 2 was way better but it still falls apart after a while and it was too long by half.

Not really holding out much hope for 3.

I don't ever remember this happening. I don't think anything 'spawns' like that in Crysis. You need to scout around and shit more

Yeah I remember reinforcements on occasions, but they usually came in Hummers, and you could hear them a mile off.

Now I want to play Crysis again. Fuck.

f0rk

I thought Crisis 1 was shit as soon as the ice came. The first few island levels are fun but it sours super quickly and turns into a very linear and boring shooter. That ending was atrocious. I thought that 2 was way better but it still falls apart after a while and it was too long by half.

Not really holding out much hope for 3.

I think there is more good no alien levels than you are giving it credit for.
I can't believe they keep going with the big alien idea, it's so dumb. It was clearly the worst thing in Far Cry as well but they haven't learnt.

Suairyu

Banned
Everyone played Warhead? aka Cockney blows shit up?

Different pacing to Crysis which I liked.
Graphical aesthetic was worse and somehow the missions didn't click with me as much.

Was before I started to get Delta-difficulty good at Crysis, though, so maybe a replay on Delta is in order to re-evaluate.

Graphical aesthetic was worse and somehow the missions didn't click with me as much.

Was before I started to get Delta-difficulty good at Crysis, though, so maybe a replay on Delta is in order to re-evaluate.

Yeah I remember it had a distinctive yellow tint, and I think draw distance was worse (?)

I'd love to play both with modded visuals, particularly the lighting on Crysis- it looks very flat these days.

Rubbish King

3Sixty

Just got a text from my mate. Started work at 8 and has already had to kick 3 couples out for being too drunk.

Works at quite an upmarket venue too. Valentines makes bitches cray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom