• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

noffles

Banned
Pretty girl knocked on the flat door asking to borrow a hoover, so I brought her into the kitchen, had a look around, apologised for not knowing where our hoover was and then she left.

but man she was cute

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Pretty girl knocked on the flat door asking to borrow a hoover, so I brought her into the kitchen, had a look around, apologised for not knowing where our hoover was and then she left.

but man she was cute

Still alive then noffles? One of these days m'lad you'll go too far ...

Suairyu

Banned
Generation discussions are the worst. The day I found out some people define generation by power was a dark day.
Well... that's not exactly but kind of how the game makers do. They think in terms of technological generation, not date of release.

If the WiiU is roughly equivalent to a 360 or PS3 in terms of ability and/or power, they will not consider it next-gen.

I mean, that's how I think, too. "Next-gen" means to me "next generation of hardware/software ability". A next-gen console powers next-gen software. So like the difference between Crysis on DX9 and DX10. There's a graphical generational leap for you.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
That's one definition of a gen, sure. Not the one the industry uses, mind, but it a lot of people on the internet do so you'll be safe using it.

A whole lot of stuff that really doesn't belong in this thread so I'm not going to post it because it belongs in gaming if anywhere but damned if I have the energy to stand up and defend it this generation like I did last time around.

That's "the industry" as in "the Microsoft Marketing Department" right? As in the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation?

Fuck it. Gave way to temptation there. Hint to self, avoid that temptation, it will come to no good. Not in this thread anyway. If posting about this in gaming, remind self to say goodbye to all the nice people here in an appropriate manner with a historical reference like "I am going outside, I may be some time".

Well... that's not exactly but kind of how the game makers do. They think in terms of technological generation, not date of release.

If the WiiU is roughly equivalent to a 360 or PS3 in terms of ability and/or power, they will not consider it next-gen.

Eh, I think calling it current-gen but just saying it's too technologically inferior would be the kind of brutal honesty I think the games industry could use. Especially from these developers who know full well they'll never make a Wii U game, but still tiptoe around saying what they really think about the machine.

Generation should be used as a category, not a ranking. The traditional usage doesn't denote any superiority.

Suairyu

Banned
A whole lot of stuff that really doesn't belong in this thread so I'm not going to post it because it belongs in gaming if anywhere but damned if I have the energy to stand up and defend it this generation like I did last time around.

That's "the industry" as in "the Microsoft Marketing Department" right? As in the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation?

Fuck it. Gave way to temptation there. Hint to self, avoid that temptation, it will come to no good. Not in this thread anyway. If posting about this in gaming, remind self to say goodbye to all the nice people here in an appropriate manner with a historical reference like "I am going outside, I may be some time".
I'm teasing you, phisheep. I don't really give a fuck. But search out that one thread as a recent example. EA categorically stated that they do not internally consider WiiU a next-generation machine as it does not have any new capabilities.

It's not just about linear power, either, but graphical featureset.

Would I personally consider the WiiU next gen based on its featureset? No. My 4 year old PC that was mid-range at best at the time can do things the WiiU couldn't dream of. Do I really care what people as a whole classify it as, or do I actively use the term "next-gen" in conversation? No.

It's just really, really amusing to see Nintendo fanbabies get flustered that huge groups of people have a different definition for a not-precisely-definable term. They act like it's a personal insult to their own character, in gaming side.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm teasing you, phisheep.

Oh, I appreciate that. We're among friends here.

It's just really, really amusing to see Nintendo fanbabies get flustered that huge groups of people have a different definition for a not-precisely-definable term. They act like it's a personal insult to their own character, in gaming side.

But this on the other hand starts to get my hackles up. We saw this last time round too. "Fanbabies" huh? And all too easily it turns from "acting like" it is a personal insult to it actually being one. Like, say, "fanbabies".

Anyway, that's enough of that junk in this thread. Let's not turn this into BritGamingGaf, that would be just too obtuse.

Anyway, somebody earlier on was asking what a phisheep playlist would have on it. It would have at least some of the following:
- Sweet Child in Time from Deep Purple Live in Japan
- Sonata for kettledrums by some bloke whose name I can't remember (good to listen to when drunk, you feel a lot better when it has finished)
- the 1980-something Stuttgart Opera production of Der Freischutz (probably the second half only)
- Matelot by Noel Coward
- Never Mind the Why and Wherefore by Gilbert & Sullivan from HMS Pinafore
- Something solid by J S Bach, probably the third prelude & fugue from Das Wohltemperierte Klavier
- After the Goldrush, Neil Young, sung a capella by whoever it was
- Fog on the Tyne, Lindisfarne
- Near as dammit anything by Steeleye Span but let's go for The Two Magicians and Thomas the Rhymer shall we?
- Fairytale of New York, The Pogues
- the whole of Foggy Mountain Banjo by Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs
- Spredthik's first and only album "Spredthik"
- The Dunstable Rugby Club Male Voice Choir singing Nikolai's melody of "Three Kings" over Bach's chorale "Wie schoen leuchet die Morgenstern"
- Treorchy Male Voice Choir "Myfanwy"
- Stefane Grapelli doing Sweet Georgia Brown

That's probably enough to be going on with - I gotta stop somewhere, but it's interesting dredging these things out of memory!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Just said goodbye to the people who made me who I am today.. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be on this forum, i'd probably be a chavvy cokehead wasting my life away.. I feel the waterworks coming on.. Sat on the train listening to music bringing all all these feels up.. Damn I'm gonna miss Devon.. I know I can come back but damn this is a milestone

Hystzen

Just said goodbye to the people who made me who I am today.. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be on this forum, i'd probably be a chavvy cokehead wasting my life away.. I feel the waterworks coming on.. Sat on the train listening to music bringing all all these feels up.. Damn I'm gonna miss Devon.. I know I can come back but damn this is a milestone

tumblr_m8w1gnqeuz1qfyi03.gif

Chinner

Banned
I binned all my GBA game boxes years ago so if I've still got the game it'll be boxless but you can have it for free if you want it, as it'll help with my ongoing decluttering.
against my better judgement because im a fool, i would suggest you ebay some of them and see how much you can get. depending on the game you could probably get £5-10 per game depending on demand etc.

where abouts in devon u live.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
No more free meals and mum doing the washing up / laundry.

Suairyu

Banned
But this on the other hand starts to get my hackles up. We saw this last time round too. "Fanbabies" huh? And all too easily it turns from "acting like" it is a personal insult to it actually being one. Like, say, "fanbabies".
What? I consider myself a Nintendo fan. I like Nintendo. I enjoy their stuff and want more. You're likely the same.

I'd take a wager that near everyone in this thread deserves the title of "fan" for whatever they're a fan of, too.

"Fanbabies" in context specifically refers to people who throw tantrums over perceived slights against the company they've decided to wield as their gaming identity or whatever. Like those cultish Apple zealots who will applaud every lawsuit started by Apple but scream bloody murder at everyone started by a rival company. Like the insufferable SONY idiots who posted nothing but those Killzone 2 gifs for ages (they've been replaced by people posted that WiiU Xenoblade mech gif).

It's a grand adventure, Tashbrooke. And distance between yourself and your mother will help you simmer down a bit, I reckon. Go forth and be a better you.

Like the insufferable SONY idiots who posted nothing but those Killzone 2 gifs for ages (they've been replaced by people posted that WiiU Xenoblade mech gif).

That's more tragic because rather than Grey FPS Number 52: This Time It's Not Terrible (Or So They Say), I thought that trailer was rather exciting and that mech bit in particular looked pretty slick.

And now I'm sick to the back teeth of seeing that fucking mech!

Suairyu

Banned
That's more tragic because rather than Grey FPS Number 52: This Time It's Not Terrible (Or So They Say), I thought that trailer was rather exciting and that mech bit in particular looked pretty slick.

And now I'm sick to the back teeth of seeing that fucking mech!
I'm excited for the Xenoblade sequel, but don't pretend it's any less limited in terms of colour palette either. Desaturated water and grass, dull skies and models. Only splash of colour comes from all the effects.

I'm excited for the Xenoblade sequel, but don't pretend it's any less limited in terms of colour palette either. Desaturated water and grass, dull skies and models. Only splash of colour comes from all the effects.

Yeah that was a bit of a bummer actually. I think brue brue skies are truly dead :'(

Still, in terms of colour palette X looks like the north of England. Killzone 2 looks like that fucking Paperman short.

Hystzen

HD games are not allowed colour you have be grey and bleak

damn Clone Wars Tv show is so chilled out with showing death, this is meant be a kids show holy crap

f0rk

Put a new tshirt that says "line dry to prevent shrinking" in the dryer cos #yolo and it's shrunk quite a bit. Whoops

Also the hood string on a hoodie has gone right back into the hole wtf, how am I meant to get that out again

Suairyu

Banned
Nintendo Land, man.... Nintendo Land. I cannot believe more has not been made of how damn great it looks.
Even Nintendo Land has really weird colour saturation. Some colours are desaturated, others really pumped up. It looks exactly like what you'd stereotypically have imagined "Nintendo HD" to look like, and not in a good way.

An approach they carried over to those early Wind Waker HD shots, too.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Yep, it's a milestone. But don't make it a millstone. When I was about your age I left and never went back (well, hardly ever) - in hindsight that was a mistake, as I never got the hang of going back and being a visitor and after too long it turned out just plain uncomfortable. So whatever happens, don't alienate yourself, and if you feel the urge to go back for the odd day or so then do so if you possibly can.

At least that way you get Devon and London and wherever is next.

Seanspeed

Banned
Good you appreciate them like that.

And shit, you're going to London, too?

Mikeside

OK I've been out having a life and now I understand the comments about this thread moving fast.

Casey is coming over on Wednesday to hang out in my tiny room and watch movies. It's clear what that means, right? It's not just me thinking that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom