• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

I don't need Star Wars sequels. The Dark Forces games were all I needed. Kyle Katarn all up in this bitch.

The Dark Forces games were the shit. I loved 'em all, though JK2 was obviously the peak of the series. Did you play Jedi Academy? I think it got slated, but I loved it.

I don't know why, but you mentioning non mobile games has reminded me that you get to play Halo 4 and I don't :(

Can you still rent consoles from Blockbuster? My hype is increasing :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The Dark Forces games were the shit. I loved 'em all, though JK2 was obviously the peak of the series. Did you play Jedi Academy? I think it got slated, but I loved it.

I don't know why, but you mentioning non mobile games has reminded me that you get to play Halo 4 and I don't :(

Can you still rent consoles from Blockbuster? My hype is increasing :(

Yeah, Jedi Academy was still pretty good, and it had Luke Skywalker in it too, double bonus. I loved the shit out of JK1 when that came out, including their weird proprietary LucasArts 3D engine. The environments were all suitably Star-Wars-massive in a way the Quake Engine couldn't handle back then and the story was badass. This was the first game to actually upset me when my Dark Side choices led to Jade getting killed. It blew my mind. I liked JK2 as well but I think the move over to the Q3 engine took away some of the janky charm of JK1.

And yep, Halo next week biiiiiatch! So hyped. I spent yesterday arvo watching Forward Unto Dawn and the vidocs. I am now officially back on the Halo hype train as I do every year around this time. If only I could bring myself to read the last shitty Greg Bear novel so I could keep up with the Forerunner stuff but they're just SO BORING. The Karen Traviss stuff is goodf though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
There's a lot of that, but some real gems in there too. The Thrawn trilogy is pretty good, as is I, Jedi and Shadows of the Empire

Zahn books are top. I really want them to follow those books, at least for inspiration.
I wasn't so excited but if Lucas isn't writing/directing/casting and iron grip then I will have some hope. A New Hope, one might say.

Lunch today consists of a box of ritz and a block of pilgrim's choice until I get full, or decide I want to eat this chocolate orange...

Mikeside

Yeah, Jedi Academy was still pretty good, and it had Luke Skywalker in it too, double bonus. I loved the shit out of JK1 when that came out, including their weird proprietary LucasArts 3D engine. The environments were all suitably Star-Wars-massive in a way the Quake Engine couldn't handle back then and the story was badass. This was the first game to actually upset me when my Dark Side choices led to Jade getting killed. It blew my mind. I liked JK2 as well but I think the move over to the Q3 engine took away some of the janky charm of JK1.

And yep, Halo next week biiiiiatch! So hyped. I spent yesterday arvo watching Forward Unto Dawn and the vidocs. I am now officially back on the Halo hype train as I do every year around this time. If only I could bring myself to read the last shitty Greg Bear novel so I could keep up with the Forerunner stuff but they're just SO BORING. The Karen Traviss stuff is goodf though.

Hopefully I'll be suitably distracted by AC:Liberation, so I won't be too jealous. The fact I have to wait 3 weeks for AC3 is annoying enough.

What are your thoughts on iPad Mini? Essentially, it's got the same processor as the iPad 2 and the screen isn't anywher near the DPI of the 3, which is disappointing, but it looks good other than that.

You tempted to get one for the Mrs?

EU is being ignored, but I wouldn't want a rehash of what I've already read - I'm happy to see what their take on it is.

Honestly, can they do any worse than Lucas has done with SW for the past couple of decades?

Clone Wars animated series is pretty decent.

Ignoring the EU is going to piss off a lot of fans who have invested a lot of time in the EU, myself included. I get why they're doing it, they want to bring in a new generation of fans and make a ton of money from new merchandising. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

The EU sounds dumb as shit to me, just a bunch of bad writers consistently trying to one up each other.

Have you read much of the EU? A lot of the writers are best sellers and everything I've read (which is a fucking lot) has been brilliant. Don't slag something off on hearsay.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
The EU sounds dumb as shit to me, just a bunch of bad writers consistently trying to one up each other.

I was trying to figure out what the European Union had to do with Star Wars.

Mikeside

Clone Wars animated series is pretty decent.

Ignoring the EU is going to piss off a lot of fans who have invested a lot of time in the EU, myself included. I get why they're doing it, they want to bring in a new generation of fans and make a ton of money from new merchandising. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Have you read much of the EU? A lot of the writers are best sellers and everything I've read (which is a fucking lot) has been brilliant. Don't slag something off on hearsay.

To be fair, there are some serious bullshit stories in the EU

Which is the one with all the Emperor clones where Luke goes to the dark side briefly?
I wouldn't wipe my butt with that shite

To be fair, there are some serious bullshit stories in the EU

Which is the one with all the Emperor clones where Luke goes to the dark side briefly?
I wouldn't wipe my butt with that shite

If you read something and don't like it, that's fair enough, it's all personal opinion.

But f0rk's comment sounded like he hadn't actually read any of it and was just saying it was shit based on what he'd heard from others. Which is a massive pet peeve of mine, how can you slag something off if you haven't read/heard/seen it?

f0rk

Honestly I haven't read any, but I have read a bit of the wiki stuff with all the BIGGEST MOST DESTRUCTIVE WEAPON EVERRRRRRR

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hopefully I'll be suitably distracted by AC:Liberation, so I won't be too jealous. The fact I have to wait 3 weeks for AC3 is annoying enough.

What are your thoughts on iPad Mini? Essentially, it's got the same processor as the iPad 2 and the screen isn't anywher near the DPI of the 3, which is disappointing, but it looks good other than that.

You tempted to get one for the Mrs?

Nah, I really don't see the point in the mini, the iPad itself is a perfect size. Any smaller and comics would suck on it, and I like holding it as a book while reading prose too, it works great. Games are great on the bigger screen too, these people all clamouring for a small tablet mystify me. The point is that a tablet is big. Otherwise get a big phone, surely?

As for specs, I think iPad 2 specs are pretty good still. It mostly outperforms the iPad 3 since the insane screen res takes a lot of juice to run, more than the extra processing power gives for sure. Some games like Nova 3 are even downgraded on the iPad 3, it's madness.

However the 4 has my interest, I may buy it early next year and give my 2 to my wife. I want the retina screen for reading, which is probably at least half of my iPad time.

Mikeside

Nah, I really don't see the point in the mini, the iPad itself is a perfect size. Any smaller and comics would suck on it, and I like holding it as a book while reading prose too, it works great. Games are great on the bigger screen too, these people all clamouring for a small tablet mystify me. The point is that a tablet is big. Otherwise get a big phone, surely?

As for specs, I think iPad 2 specs are pretty good still. It mostly outperforms the iPad 3 since the insane screen res takes a lot of juice to run, more than the extra processing power gives for sure. Some games like Nova 3 are even downgraded on the iPad 3, it's madness.

However the 4 has my interest, I may buy it early next year and give my 2 to my wife. I want the retina screen for reading, which is probably at least half of my iPad time.

I read comics on my N7, which is a 7" too and I find that perfect. Before that I had a TF101 Transformer which was a 10" tablet and I didn't like how big and hefty it was, which is why I upgraded/downsized.

Yeah, that iPad 4 sure does look sexy. Anyone got £500 knockin' about for me?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Few days till the best game ever made comes out yo

Halo-4-Box-Art.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I read comics on my N7, which is a 7" too and I find that perfect. Before that I had a TF101 Transformer which was a 10" tablet and I didn't like how big and hefty it was, which is why I upgraded/downsized.

Yeah, that iPad 4 sure does look sexy. Anyone got £500 knockin' about for me?

7" is just way too small man. I have to zoom in to see text sometimes as it is, on a 7" you pretty much have to go guided view which is an abomination. And don't get me started on a double page spread. There is no way to make that work on a little screen.

But I'm a size queen, I would very much like a 12" iPad.

7" is just way too small man. I have to zoom in to see text sometimes as it is, on a 7" you pretty much have to go guided view which is an abomination. And don't get me started on a double page spread. There is no way to make that work on a little screen.

Nexus 10?

Mikeside

I agree that guided view is horrible, but I find 7" to be fine.

Yes, I occasionally have to zoom in a little bit and double pagers can be annoying, but I think it's worth it to have a nice, small, comfortable tablet.

Mikeside

If it's not an iPad then I'm shit outta luck given that I've probably spent a grand on the appstore :p I don't have brand loyalty so much as ecosystem loyalty/ransom.

Yeah, once you're in, you're in.
I've got that problem with Android - I'll never go without an Android device at all unless something amazingly bad happens to Android in the future simply because of all the shit I've bought on it.

I've bought a fair bit of stuff on my iPod Touch too, and I barely use it anymore because it's like a shit version of an iPhone/iPad, which is why I'm so tempted to get an iPad for myself too....

But £500 is £500 and I want a place of my own more than another toy, so that's a fair while off!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, once you're in, you're in.
I've got that problem with Android - I'll never go without an Android device at all unless something amazingly bad happens to Android in the future simply because of all the shit I've bought on it.

I've bought a fair bit of stuff on my iPod Touch too, and I barely use it anymore because it's like a shit version of an iPhone/iPad, which is why I'm so tempted to get an iPad for myself too....

But £500 is £500 and I want a place of my own more than another toy, so that's a fair while off!

Yeah man they ain't cheap and £500 is pretty much a month's rent. Although, if you can ever afford to buy expensive crap for yourself, it's when you don't have too many bills to pay!

SteveWD40

Is there a way out of the Apple ecosystem? So for example, I have a lot of music (I know Apps would need to be re-purchased) in iTunes, anyway to remove the DRM and have it on an Android device?

I am liking the choice and cheaper hardware of Win 8 / Android and am tempted to move away from Apples overpriced hardware / crappy (on Windows) iTunes software...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is there a way out of the Apple ecosystem? So for example, I have a lot of music (I know Apps would need to be re-purchased) in iTunes, anyway to remove the DRM and have it on an Android device?

I am liking the choice and cheaper hardware of Win 8 / Android and am tempted to move away from Apples overpriced hardware / crappy (on Windows) iTunes software...

I think you can pay to have the DRM removed from your music. But really, once you're in you're in. Either that or you just go on a torrent binge. You have paid for it once already after all so you'd be morally justified if not legally.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The smartphone/tablet/HDTV I seem to be gravitating to is the Galaxy Note 2. I liked it when I tried one a few weeks ago.

Mikeside

I thought iTunes music doesn't have DRM anymore?
If you have anything from when they DID have DRM, they should let you get the newer, non DRM versions (though I'm not sure if it costs or not)

What's a torrent? ;)

The smartphone/tablet/HDTV I seem to be gravitating to is the Galaxy Note 2. I liked it when I tried one a few weeks ago.

I think the Note and Note 2 are great if you don't want a phone AND a tablet - I wouldn't say it's as good as having both, but if you just want one device then you can't get any better.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I think the Note and Note 2 are great if you don't want a phone AND a tablet - I wouldn't say it's as good as having both, but if you just want one device then you can't get any better.

Yeah, the Note 2 caught my eye because of its size, stylus, MicroSD card support and the obvious not-quite-a-tablet-not-quite-a-phone status.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I thought iTunes music doesn't have DRM anymore?
If you have anything from when they DID have DRM, they should let you get the newer, non DRM versions (though I'm not sure if it costs or not)

What's a torrent? ;)

The last year or two has been DRM free, yeah but before then there was, and you definitely have to pay to get the DRM free versions. As I recall it's not a particularly good deal either, especially if you have lots of DRM'd music.

Mikeside

Hmmm, interesting.

Yeah, I think it's been DRM free since 2009 or so too.
There's 2 tracks on my itunes that I can't seem to get on any other device and they were delisted from the store years ago, so I think that's the only reason I can't get those DRM freed.

Will have to do a workaround because they're great tracks by a local band that I can't find anywhere else :(

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
If it's not an iPad then I'm shit outta luck given that I've probably spent a grand on the appstore :p I don't have brand loyalty so much as ecosystem loyalty/ransom.

This a problem. Everything is developing its own ecosystem. Windows 8, Mac OSX, iOS, Android etc. They all have online integration that makes moving between platforms increasingly more difficult. An account for everything. Once you're in, you pretty much have to stick with it lest you waste your money.

SteveWD40

Yeah, I think it's been DRM free since 2009 or so too.
There's 2 tracks on my itunes that I can't seem to get on any other device and they were delisted from the store years ago, so I think that's the only reason I can't get those DRM freed.

Will have to do a workaround because they're great tracks by a local band that I can't find anywhere else :(

Cool, so do people with Driods still buy from iTunes then? or is there another good music store?

Mikeside

Cool, so do people with Driods still buy from iTunes then? or is there another good music store?

There are plenty of other places to buy music - Google Play Music & Amazon MP3 are my stores of choice, but you can go through iTunes if you want without worry.

Google and Amazon are better because anything you buy, you get as a download, but is also available in the cloud to listen to over wifi or 3g/4g on your phone/pc/laptop/tablet using the websites or apps.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Gah! Crap quality pumpkin this year - semi-rotten inside. Done the best I can but it's a dreadful job, probably not even worthy of a photo.

Next (like last but unlike this) I'm gonna grow my own, despite it leaves the garden a mass of monstrous tentacles!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
There are plenty of other places to buy music - Google Play Music & Amazon MP3 are my stores of choice, but you can go through iTunes if you want without worry.

Google and Amazon are better because anything you buy, you get as a download, but is also available in the cloud to listen to over wifi or 3g/4g on your phone/pc/laptop/tablet using the websites or apps.

I really like Amazon's music store. Buy it, give you MP3s, sorted, works everywhere.

So BritGAF, It's Halloween, what's everyone doing tonight?
We've decided the nights out are shit and expensive every year. Tonight we're gonna go for a meal as a house, then go watch Sinister and scare ourselves shitless.

SteveWD40

I am now a happy camper.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gah! Crap quality pumpkin this year - semi-rotten inside. Done the best I can but it's a dreadful job, probably not even worthy of a photo.

Next (like last but unlike this) I'm gonna grow my own, despite it leaves the garden a mass of monstrous tentacles!
That bites. It's hard to tell sometimes when you get them from the shop. Nice looking on the outside but rotten inside. Kind of like SmokyDave here:
I'll be shouting 'Trick!' before emptying a bucket of hot piss out of an upstairs window.

I am now a happy camper.

Steve, come to the dark side. Android is more powerful, has better phones with a much wider selection and the tablet ecosystem is now reaching a critical mass for developers to get behind.

There were problems with Android in the past, but lately Google have been on fire, though if you are going to buy in and are in no rush, I might suggest waiting until CES in January as Samsung, Sony and HTC are going to announce multiple devices which will at least push down the price of devices currently on the market.

Mikeside

Couldn't agree more - I'd wait until CES and have a long look at Sony, Samsung and HTC.

I'm still very happy with my Gnex, but I can't wait to see what's coming :)

Tonight, for Halloween, I'm going to play Costume Quest and hope that we don't get too many trick or treaters :)

I use a Nokia N8 right now.

Stop laughing.

Wasn't familiar with the N8, but looking at it now the only thing I'm hating about it is Symbian. Ew.

I am now a happy camper.

Good good :) I hope you enjoy your introduction to the alternatives!
It's worth checking out both Google and Amazon's paid cloud music services. They both have a free version with less storage, but I've paid to up my Amazon one and I'm loving it. The Amazon one gives you a few thousand tracks for free, plus any MP3s bought from Amazon don't count - they're on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom