• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gonna stop posting here for a while, looking over my last posts..I'm talking like a moron..

It's like I've become a weird internet persona

Too much GAF I guess...need to be more constructive with my days

Will still post..just not as much

Good news for most...heh

Liar! :D Nah man you can post don't be crazy. Do something constructive and then tell us about it! For instance last night I spent about 4 hours learning how to use FFMPEG properly and experimenting with codecs. Constructive! GAF is what I do either at work or in between LIFE yo.

Don't man your a great part of the community, others are just jelly you stand out instead of being a forever bland genericst.

The more unique posters on gaf the better i say.

Truth.

Where do you live: Cheshire, England.
Where are you from: Cheshire, England.
University: MMU (Film Production)
Sports of choice: Cheese rolling.
Current political party of choice: None.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Don't watch TV.
Favourite (current) non UK TV show: Don't watch TV.
CBBC or CITV: CBBC (In the 80's and early 90's)

Hiyaaaaaaa!

Irrelevant.

If it causes problems, she's not right for me. Wanting kids is a binary decision. There can be no compromise.

Bullshit is it. It's a spectrum that you find yourself on different places in the course of your life. Fair dos if you def don't want kids, but it's very very common for women (and men) to change their mind as they get older. I know a couple who swore up and down that they weren't having a baby, to the point of buying a house that would be terrible for a kid, and both are in the emergency services. Guess who's preggers? My mum also told me that she was dead set against kids until her mid 20s when she got the bug in a big bad way.

Basically my point is that it's shortsighted to say 'never'. People change.

Morning BritGAF, how are we all on this sunny March day?

I'm feeling spritely and awake for a change! The sun helps too.

So sorry to hear that dude. It sucks being held back after work :(

Morning Spacker! (Btw it still feels a little wrong saying that) I'll tell you how I am.

I am tired, cold, I don't want to go to work, and I'm stressing about the 2 songs I have to sing at my Mum's wedding in 2 weeks time because I haven't done a single thing to prepare or learn them.

Haha, Mike had the same problem in Steam chat but he eventually realised that I don't mind.

I've just got off the phone from the Inland Revenue as they'd changed my tax code for the coming year to BR which was wrong, getting it corrected was relatively painless so props to the Inland Revenue.

Suairyu

Banned
Jedeye sounds like someone was recently given a baby ultimatum....

But what I meant is, if I don't want kids but she does, you can't compromise on that. Sure she could wait in hope that I change my mind, but that would be silly.

If her clock suddenly goes "babies now!", she would have to leave me, as I cannot facilitate her desire to breed.

So yes, I stand by my position that her feelings on the matter are irrelevant.

Called in sick as really couldn't be arsed to go in. I can't wait until I get my formal redundancy notice as I'm allowed to take days off for interviews. I'm going to abuse the fuck out of that.

Mikeside

Single again. Long distance was too awkward.

Got held back 45 minutes after work. Graaah

Hope you're doing OK with this, dude - Even if it was your decision, there can be low moments just after a breakup, but as somebody who just got out of a 4 year relationship, let me tell you - it's time to get out there and have a good fucking time because the world is never as open to being whatever you want it to be as when you're single.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Have a week of leave coming up as it's the end of the financial year. Won't be able to laze around since I'm going to have to help sort out the house.

Wow, helped out an at accident this morning. Car on its side about to tip over downhill and helped hold it up until the Fire dept arrived. :S

7l20tG3.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jedeye sounds like someone was recently given a baby ultimatum....

But what I meant is, if I don't want kids but she does, you can't compromise on that. Sure she could wait in hope that I change my mind, but that would be silly.

If her clock suddenly goes "babies now!", she would have to leave me, as I cannot facilitate her desire to breed.

So yes, I stand by my position that her feelings on the matter are irrelevant.

No ultimatum, it's always been in my life-plan and I'm just getting nearer to THAT AGE where I gotta stick a bun in that oven. Just waiting for money and shit to sync up now (mortgage stuffs)

Hopefully your lady doesn't have the biological switch flip in her head then, it would be a shame to have to break up with her because she's following 100000 years of programming!

Darren870

Miserable.

Work has really been getting to me lately. I'm stressing out about everything. Friend is coming from the states tomorrow so that will be good. However, come monday it will just be back to normal.

Meh, its driving me crazy.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Doin' just fine here DS. Snowed on me a bit this morning for all of three minutes, now bright sunshine and looking forward to a day of aggressive accounting! Eventually gave up on stocktaking a ton and a half of beads and guessed instead, glad that's over.

I'm now officially hired full time here, and good news everyone - I'm started April 1st rather than April 5th (which I assume, for taxy reasons). Why is this good news? Because now I get paid for the bank holiday monday!

On the other side, I get paid less now I'm now on my (frankly slightly silly) day rate, and so I'll end up with less money. BUT I'll also work a day less, so swings and roundabouts.

I'm now officially hired full time here, and good news everyone - I'm started April 1st rather than April 5th (which I assume, for taxy reasons). Why is this good news? Because now I get paid for the bank holiday monday!

On the other side, I get paid less now I'm now on my (frankly slightly silly) day rate, and so I'll end up with less money. BUT I'll also work a day less, so swings and roundabouts.

That's great, it's for the best in the end. Just think of all those lovely sick days you can take!

That's great, it's for the best in the end. Just think of all those lovely sick days you can take!

Nyaha. I live 5 minutes from the office (right now - might be moving from lovely Clerkenwell to Camden or something with my brother soonish) so I don't get to take the day off when it snows :(

Mikeside

Congratulations, dude - enjoy the extra day off & steal post-it notes from the supply cupboard which you can sell on eBay to make the extra money back. WIN-WIN-WIN

Just put a cookie into a sausage bap with mayo at a friend's request. Sausage cookie was good. :O

That sounds shameful and terrible.
I want to try it immediately.

Mikeside

It was definitely a Man V Food moment for me. Do it!

That accident looks nasty.

I had a similar experience on the M3 a few years ago where a van shed a ladder, which the car in front of me tried to swerve around, ended up taking out another car and flipping over past the hard shoulder - about 3 of us stopped, helped pull the girl out of her car & crawl back into it to retrieve her glasses & phone, then I had to give a police report.

Shook me up for days - she had blood ALL OVER HER FACE, but it turned out to be she'd just cut her hand in the accident & had gone to get the hair out of her face, getting blood everywhere.

I had a similar experience on the M3 a few years ago where a van shed a ladder, which the car in front of me tried to swerve around, ended up taking out another car and flipping over past the hard shoulder - about 3 of us stopped, helped pull the girl out of her car & crawl back into it to retrieve her glasses & phone, then I had to give a police report.

Shook me up for days - she had blood ALL OVER HER FACE, but it turned out to be she'd just cut her hand in the accident & had gone to get the hair out of her face, getting blood everywhere.

Yeah, seeing that stuff up close can get you shaken up for a bit. Thankfully no one was seriously injured this morning. I was all ready to go into medic mode as well, but just holding up the car with some other people from tipping over was enough. :S Thankfully the emergency services responded really quickly to our calls, so we didn't have to hold it up that long.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

I still remember an incident somewhere near Banbury many years back. Low sun, hard to see stuff, and the bloke in front of me ran into a horsebox. I swerved out just as a guy was overtaking and we ended up with three cars and a horsebox and an upset horse all gathered together on the roadside. Lots of blood on the first guy, but the hard bit was calming the horse down.

Police were really helpful.

Suairyu

Banned
Doin' just fine here DS. Snowed on me a bit this morning for all of three minutes, now bright sunshine and looking forward to a day of aggressive accounting! Eventually gave up on stocktaking a ton and a half of beads and guessed instead, glad that's over.
PHISHEEP THAT'S BAD

You were meant to work out an effective system so that you could do it quicker next time! And tell me because I'm actually genuinely interested in this!

I still reckon you could do it all by weight (to the nearest 10 beads) with a set of digital scales.

Every time you take a shipment of beads, divide total weight by number of beads, take notice, and take it from there.

When it comes to yearly stock take, use your various weight calculations over the year to work out a good "per bead of type" average weight, then go for it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
PHISHEEP THAT'S BAD

You were meant to work out an effective system so that you could do it quicker next time! And tell me because I'm actually genuinely interested in this!

I still reckon you could do it all by weight (to the nearest 10 beads) with a set of digital scales.

Every time you take a shipment of beads, divide total weight by number of beads, take notice, and take it from there.

When it comes to yearly stock take, use your various weight calculations over the year to work out a good "per bead of type" average weight, then go for it.

I bow to your superior knowledge Suairyu, and request that you volunteer for stocktaking next year!

It's too fucking hard is the problem. I got 10,000 aluminium beads that weigh next to nothing, 50,000-ish crimp beads that weigh even less, something like 10,000 gemstones that are roughly two tons per cubic metre. It is all over the place. But I can eyeball the shop and guess the stock no problem - that's how I worked out the economics of a bead shop in the first place. So it's £16k-ish, that's the answer.

Mikeside

Yeah, seeing that stuff up close can get you shaken up for a bit. Thankfully no one was seriously injured this morning. I was all ready to go into medic mode as well, but just holding up the car with some other people from tipping over was enough. :S Thankfully the emergency services responded really quickly to our calls, so we didn't have to hold it up that long.

Crikey, how many of you were there holding the car up?

I still remember an incident somewhere near Banbury many years back. Low sun, hard to see stuff, and the bloke in front of me ran into a horsebox. I swerved out just as a guy was overtaking and we ended up with three cars and a horsebox and an upset horse all gathered together on the roadside. Lots of blood on the first guy, but the hard bit was calming the horse down.

Police were really helpful.

Depending on the horse, that can either be the easiest thing ever, or a total fucking knightmare (hahahahahahahaha).
With my ex's horse, I think a bomb could go off, but if you shoved some food under it's nose after, he wouldn't have given a shit

I bow to your superior knowledge Suairyu, and request that you volunteer for stocktaking next year!

It's too fucking hard is the problem. I got 10,000 aluminium beads that weigh next to nothing, 50,000-ish crimp beads that weigh even less, something like 10,000 gemstones that are roughly two tons per cubic metre. It is all over the place. But I can eyeball the shop and guess the stock no problem - that's how I worked out the economics of a bead shop in the first place. So it's £16k-ish, that's the answer.

My suggestion from before was that you count out and weigh up 100 of each type of thing, then weigh the lot and guess the qty. based on the weight compared to 100, then do your estimates based on that, but I imagine the shrinkage at a small bead shop is fairly minimal, so it's probably not as critical as some other shops

Suairyu

Banned
No need to get testy, magical bead goat! Just saying what is (ignorantly) try to do.

But actually, a stocktaking BritGAF meet at your shop sounds like a great plan! Keep us going with cups of tea and I'd be well up for it.

Eyeball maths is worse maths.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
My suggestion from before was that you count out and weigh up 100 of each type of thing, then weigh the lot and guess the qty. based on the weight compared to 100, then do your estimates based on that, but I imagine the shrinkage at a small bead shop is fairly minimal, so it's probably not as critical as some other shops

Nice idea, but it loses out a bit when there are four and a half thousand different types of things. Too hard.

Shrinkage very low, less than £40 over the year and we know exactly what it was and who took it!

Actually, a stocktaking BritGAF meet at your shop sounds like a great plan! Keep us going with cups of tea and I'd be well up for it.

Eyeball maths is worse maths.

That sounds like a good idea. I have tentatively booked all you guys in for the end of next February.

Meanwhile, eyeball maths will do the accountant.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Congrats on the job CyclopsRock, treat yourself to some hookers n' blow! Phisheep you should have invited us all down to help stocktake, we'd have done it for pizza and White Lightning.

donkey show, do you mean a soft cookie such as one from Millie's Cookies?

noffles

Banned
Throw a cookie in it. Trust me.

EDIT: and belated congrats CyclopsRock!

I managed to start a conversation in an A level classroom about the fact that I put cookies in a ham sandwich a few times. Teacher got involved and all. Ended up bringing one in to let people try the next week.

On a related note, I have bread and ham again. Cheap lunch that isn't super noodles, nom.

please

I don't even see any black pudding there

Plenty of room for a cookie

It was already falling apart. I had to reinstate the sausage on two separate occasions.

Really not sure what to do with my day off. Done my exercise, already finished season three of Sons of Anarchy and started S4 but I also have a backlog of games that I bought in the Xbox GoD sale the other day.

Think I may just end up sticking Halo 4 in.

Cold chilli con carne leftovers are awesome. Nom Nom.

As was that raspberry jam filled doughnut I just inhaled.

Yeah I'm totally off the diet this week.

Going to Borough Market tomorrow lunchtime to stuff my face.

Mikeside

I'm officially having the best week.

Got in touch with an old friend, Abi - we were absolute best friends until she went off to Vang Vieng for what turned out to be over a year & haven't been in touch since, but we're planning a weekend of me visiting her in London, which should be epic.

Pretty sure I can go to ScotGAF meetup, just need to work out a few details, so I'm excited about that coming up too

Free ticket to Hard Rock Calling, which is going to be amazing - Springsteen and Black Crowes? Yes please!

Finally got out of my contract with 3 Mobile, so I'm sending my phone back and getting a new contract with Vodafone (Galaxy Note II, for my sins)

New ticketing system at work (designed in part by me) is finally going make it clear exactly how much work I'm doing (when I'm not posting on GAF, obviously) which means my pay raise shouldn't be too far off either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom