• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
No, not at the same time.

Is an SSD drive worth it?

Are you installing Windows 8? If so, definitely as the OS is designed to use SSD out of the box. I run a 60Gb SSD with Win8 and have XCom & Civ 5 installed on the SSD, other Steam games are on D:.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think I'm done with my job.
Advice on looking for another? Haven't had to shop around for almost 10 years!
Whaaat? I thought there was a ticket system getting implemented that was going to help you get a raise, given that it would show that you pull way more than your fair share of weight? That's the last I heard anyway. If you've really given the job more than your fair share then they are fools for not rewarding you properly.

Mikeside

What exactly do you want to do?

I have no idea, actually. Probably best to figure that out.

Whaaat? I thought there was a ticket system getting implemented that was going to help you get a raise, given that it would show that you pull way more than your fair share of weight? That's the last I heard anyway. If you've really given the job more than your fair share then they are fools for not rewarding you properly.

Things are pushing forward slowly, but there's a LOT of pressure on me to basically reform the whole warehouse and turn it into an efficient machine, but I'm not being given the time or resources to do that.

That's the warehouse side of things, in the IT engineering side of things I'm being given absolutely nothing in the way of test equipment and they're expecting me to get familiar with VMWARE, MS Server 2003/2008, various tools we use like Dell KACE, ImageDirect 3, blah blah, blah - but they're expecting me to do it in my own time and without any kind of access to the work systems from home.

On top of that, when I talk about looking at a raise from £16.5k, I get laughed out of the meeting.

Blech, maybe I just need some time to cool off

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
leepicmeme.jpg

Only teasin'

There's nothing more satisfying to a student than the moment you press submit on Turnitin.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m35izkalB51qeo326.gif

I HATED TurnItIn, website seemed so ancient and would always make my work look like shit.

Things are pushing forward slowly, but there's a LOT of pressure on me to basically reform the whole warehouse and turn it into an efficient machine, but I'm not being given the time or resources to do that.

That's the warehouse side of things, in the IT engineering side of things I'm being given absolutely nothing in the way of test equipment and they're expecting me to get familiar with VMWARE, MS Server 2003/2008, various tools we use like Dell KACE, ImageDirect 3, blah blah, blah - but they're expecting me to do it in my own time and without any kind of access to the work systems from home.

On top of that, when I talk about looking at a raise from £16.5k, I get laughed out of the meeting.

Its far easier to get another job if you are already employed, so dont quit. IT is also a fields where there are literally a ton of IT recruiters who do nothing but keyword search for CV's. Update your CV with all the keywords of software and hardware you use and throw that CV on literally every website that will accept it, before long recruiters will be phoning you up.

SKINNER!

Banned

What...seriously? Then bail the fuck out of there. Clearly they think you're a joke.

Its far easier to get another job if you are already employed, so dont quit. IT is also a fields where there are literally a ton of IT recruiters who do nothing but keyword search for CV's. Update your CV with all the keywords of software and hardware you use and throw that CV on literally every website that will accept it, before long recruiters will be phoning you up.

this! this! this! this!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Owwwwwwww! What you say in this case is "well fuck ya then". As a last resort it could be a powerful negotiating position. Piss off for a week and see what happens?

This is one of the few instance where living with your folks and not having bills to pay counts as 'lucky'. You totally have options.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I HATED TurnItIn, website seemed so ancient and would always make my work look like shit.

....wait, are you bobs99? Dammit people stop changing your names even to subtly different ones!

Owwwwwwww! What you say in this case is "well fuck ya then". As a last resort it could be a powerful negotiating position. Piss off for a week and see what happens?

This is one of the few instance where living with your folks and not having bills to pay counts as 'lucky'. You totally have options.

The problem is though... there are literally a dozen more people willing to be abused and take his place, unless he has an intimate knowledge of how stuff works there... its unlikely this approach will work.

Best to just use work time to learn the IT stuff they want you to use, which will get you a better job. :p

Are you installing Windows 8? If so, definitely as the OS is designed to use SSD out of the box. I run a 60Gb SSD with Win8 and have XCom & Civ 5 installed on the SSD, other Steam games are on D:.

No I'll be using Windows 7, I wasn't going to use the SSD as a system drive but now I'm thinking that I should.

To jump on the bandwagon from last page, I got my uni exam timetable the other day. One exam on 7th May and then no uni until 19th September.

Luckily I'm going to be working most of the summer as an activity leader in a private school in London. :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The problem is though... there are literally a dozen more people willing to be abused and take his place, unless he has an intimate knowledge of how stuff works there... its unlikely this approach will work.

Best to just use work time to learn the IT stuff they want you to use, which will get you a better job. :p

Well I think he does have a fairly intimate knowledge of how their stuff works, being a lone IT guy for years over there. They're not going to be able to replace him overnight, especially not for the peanuts they're laying out.

I find that as a fairly even tempered guy like Mike, people will often walk all over you until you actually lose your shit a little bit. Time to kick some toys out of the pram!

Or be sensible like bobs advises - probably a better idea lol.

Mikeside

Thanks for all the advice guys, a lot to think about here.

I definitely have a lot of knowledge about the way things work their - a lot of processes and infrastructure that I designed, or that I'm the only one who knows it particularly well so they REALLY should be worrying about losing me.

Maybe I'll look around for similar positions, check out the money on offer and use that to give myself an idea of what to ask for and how confident to be when asking for it, then to just make my demands.

Not going to make a rash one, but I need to hurry up and make some kind of decision

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I definitely have a lot of knowledge about the way things work their - a lot of processes and infrastructure that I designed, or that I'm the only one who knows it particularly well so they REALLY should be worrying about losing me.

Maybe I'll look around for similar positions, check out the money on offer and use that to give myself an idea of what to ask for and how confident to be when asking for it, then to just make my demands.

Not going to make a rash one, but I need to hurry up and make some kind of decision

Dude you could go work in fucking Tescos for more money, jump on the first thing that comes along and ride the Fuck You train outta Cheapsville.

f0rk

Is it just about the money? Because if you find a job that pays better why do you need to play games with them, why not just leave?
It's like Peggy in Mad Men

8bit

Knows the Score
No I'll be using Windows 7, I wasn't going to use the SSD as a system drive but now I'm thinking that I should.

Well, you'll still see improvements but if you install Win on a normal drive and use an SSD solely for games you'll probably see better performance.

Wasn't this exactly what you were supposed to be doing about six months ago?

Edit: Didn't mean this to sound cunty, was playing Halo and posting.

Selfish Pizza

Neo Member
I think I'm done with my job.
Advice on looking for another? Haven't had to shop around for almost 10 years!

I'm in a similar boat. I hate my job, and hate most of the people I work with, but they pay me alright money for what I do (maybe because I've been there 7 years, and built it up). If I go somewhere else and do the same thing, I'll take a pay cut, and if I do something different, I'll take a pay cut :S

Maybe I could get into IT. I know how to send emails, receive emails, and use that browser thing.

I love this image.

kite-surfing-with-whale-below-aerial-shot-from-above.jpg

Go ballsy, Mike. When I was in my meeting about my job last week, I mentioned to the guy that one thing I was worried about with going permanent was in that in my last job I got a raise, then spent the next 2 years on the same money whilst more and more responsibility and pressure was placed on my shoulders. He pointed out - totally correctly - that this was at least partially my fault. It's true! I needed to be ballsier. Tell em that if they don't give you a proper raise to something more befitting your role, you'll look elsewhere, and actually mean it, too. Easier said than done, but they won't give you a raise if they don't need to.

Mikeside

I'm in a similar boat. I hate my job, and hate most of the people I work with, but they pay me alright money for what I do (maybe because I've been there 7 years, and built it up). If I go somewhere else and do the same thing, I'll take a pay cut, and if I do something different, I'll take a pay cut :S

Maybe I could get into IT. I know how to send emails, receive emails, and use that browser thing.

NOW YOU'RE UNDERVALUING ME TOO! :(

Hating your job sucks - I wouldn't mind mine without all this unpaid pressure.

I love this image.

kite-surfing-with-whale-below-aerial-shot-from-above.jpg

Go ballsy, Mike. When I was in my meeting about my job last week, I mentioned to the guy that one thing I was worried about with going permanent was in that in my last job I got a raise, then spent the next 2 years on the same money whilst more and more responsibility and pressure was placed on my shoulders. He pointed out - totally correctly - that this was at least partially my fault. It's true! I needed to be ballsier. Tell em that if they don't give you a proper raise to something more befitting your role, you'll look elsewhere, and actually mean it, too. Easier said than done, but they won't give you a raise if they don't need to.

That's a fucking awesome photo

(Great advice too, thanks!)

Awesome gaming session with Mikeside, now to bed me thinks..

Yeah, that was a great session, even if I didn't survive :(

Hopefully Jedeye's new PC will be able to run L4D2 so he can join - who else is up for some later this week?

Hystzen

Damn Sessler doesn't like God Of War: Ascension and Gears: Judgement both prequels and franchises he fans of damn...prequels dont work it seems then

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Morning DS.

Had a short night here. Was about to go to bed when I found that Tim Langdell had filed yet another rubbish motion in EA v Edge Games. Reading that stuff is not conducive to a good night's rest!

noffles

Banned
Morning, boys (and possibly Musha if she appears and objects to being called a boy).

Today I'm going to skive a lecture and write about stuff.

noffles

Banned
oh yeah? What kinda stuff?

1. Othello and the ways in which modern readers can learn from the representation of the non-European, non-Christian 'other' in his character. It's actually about Othello's character and I'm just using post-colonial theory to take a look at him, but that sounds boring, so I put a spin on it.

2. LITERARY THEORY APPLIED TO A SHORT STORY. OH BOY. Can't wait to cut myself with the printed copy of it.

8bit

Knows the Score
Godamn the new weather girl on BBC London is bangin'. Pheeeeeewwww, too early in the morning for someone this hot

There was one that presented BBC Scotland's weather a few years ago, could have sworn she had just tumbled out of a nightclub each morning to describe today's rain.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Morning you guise....Apparently eating extra healthy and taking the correct medicine doesnt cure a cold...I've been getting more ill EVERY FUCKING DAY AND IM ANNOYED ABOUT IT
Morning BritGAF, I just chose Battlefield 3 as my free game from EA.
NICE! Im getting that this week! :D If my dad decides to fund it that is..

Morning, boys (and possibly Musha if she appears and objects to being called a boy).

1. Othello and the ways in which modern readers can learn from the representation of the non-European, non-Christian 'other' in his character. It's actually about Othello's character and I'm just using post-colonial theory to take a look at him, but that sounds boring, so I put a spin on it.

2. LITERARY THEORY APPLIED TO A SHORT STORY. OH BOY. Can't wait to cut myself with the printed copy of it.
Weren't you going to do this on Saturday or Sunday after a quick nap?

Procrastination's a bitch huh

I've been called worse.

Morning Gaf, had an awesome day in Milton Keynes yesterday snowboarding. Very achy today though.

Nice 4 day week, then 2 day week, then 4 day week. Happy times.

I'd take that ticket Green Scar but I have band rehearsal tomorrow unfortunately.

noffles

Banned
Weren't you going to do this on Saturday or Sunday after a quick nap?

Procrastination's a bitch huh

I haven't started a single assignment in first year earlier than 24 hours before the deadline and first semester netted me two 2:1s and a first.

I am noffles the arrogant twat.

(seriously though, I'll be fine. I've got my essay plan for the first sorted + sources. Just hoping I don't damage my health with all the caffeine.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom