• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know where I can download TV series's legally? HMV were doing films online I think but I'm after a TV series, I don't want to stream. iTunes hasn't got the series that I'm after.

8bit

Knows the Score
Does anybody know where I can download TV series's legally? HMV were doing films online I think but I'm after a TV series, I don't want to stream. iTunes hasn't got the series that I'm after.

I don't think you've got many options, although I think iPlayer allows some downloads. What about blinkbox?

Suairyu

Banned
I now have Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge playing in memory :(

My 17 year old self right here... unfortunately (like most albums) forever tied to someone I dated.

Suairyu

Banned
I reaaaaaally want to jump on that Wii U deal too but it'd leave me with barely any cash

woe is life :(
Dude. Seriously. Not worth it. Don't buy a console for potential, buy for what you'd use it for. Right now there's two minigames on NintendoLand, Lego City, and maybe NSMBU if you're bored. None of those are killer apps. Wait for Bayo 2 at the very least.

does anyone have L4D 1 on Xbox and fancy playing maybe? That's all I have :(
Get a PC.

The London Underground is amazing, yesterday there was a dude who started singing to himself on the Central Line, someone shouted out "Do Jay-Z" and the dude went insane and started singing full blast. I dont know what he was singing, and he was a terrible singer, but props to the guy - he made the journey entertaining.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Dude. Seriously. Not worth it. Don't buy a console for potential, buy for what you'd use it for. Right now there's two minigames on NintendoLand, Lego City, and maybe NSMBU if you're bored. None of those are killer apps. Wait for Bayo 2 at the very least.

Get a PC.

ha! I'm actually installing steam right now for the lulz. I want to see what this ancient beast can do

I'm more interested in ZombiU, the way you ignore that game after the praise that's been lavished upon it doesn't exactly inspire faith in your opinion. :p

But, no, I'm not going to get one. Fuck, they haven't even announced release dates for Pikmin 3 or The Wonderful 101.

Suairyu

Banned
ha! I'm actually installing steam right now for the lulz. I want to see what this ancient beast can do
How ancient?

Right click My Computer > Properties

Make a note of the processor and ram

Then click Device Manager > Display Adapter

Tell us what your graphics card is

Boom

But most likely, you can play L4D easily. Source games are very scaleable.

I'm more interested in ZombiU, the way you ignore that game after the praise that's been lavished upon it doesn't exactly inspire faith in your opinion. :p
Launch titles always have praise lavished upon them. Fucking Resistance on the PS3 was the "Halo killer" for ages. Anyone without "oh god new console launch" clouding their vision could see that game for what it was: average at best.

Having played ZombieU (have you? you don't exactly inspire faith in your opinion :p) it is just that: average. Derivative.

Don't fall for launch hype.

There's not even that much WiiU launch hype anyway so you'd have to be really bad to fall for it!

And even if it was a fantastic game (it isn't), there still wouldn't be enough fantastic games to make the purchase worth it at £199

f0rk

Derivative of what? That's not something I've heard

But, no, I'm not going to get one. Fuck, they haven't even announced release dates for Pikmin 3 or The Wonderful 101.

That Nintendo Direct is looking like a 2 year plan or something now given the lack of dates

Launch titles always have praise lavished upon them. Fucking Resistance on the PS3 was the "Halo killer" for ages. Anyone without "oh god new console launch" clouding their vision could see that game for what it was: average at best.

Having played ZombieU (have you? you don't exactly inspire faith in your opinion :p) it is just that: average. Derivative.

There's not even that much WiiU launch hype anyway so you'd have to be really bad to fall for it!

And even if it was a fantastic game (it isn't), there still wouldn't be enough fantastic games to make the purchase worth it at £199

Well, you're not wrong on the last point at least. I'm not convinced about the rest- I've heard enough people who are fucking bummed to all hell about the Wii U as a concept and a reality that quite enjoyed that game. I never in a million years believed it was a console seller, no way. But it seems more appealing than more Mario's Adventures in Clinical Blandworld.

Also, I've been to the console launch rodeo before, and I know what to look out for; what not to get suckered by, who to listen to, who to avoid like the plague. If I was going to get suckered in, I'd be suckered in already.You don't need to walk me through this. I'm not a fool.

Although the £199 is obviously temporary, I am looking forward to seeing the price continue to move in that direction to a point when I can afford it. Some interesting games but not nearly enough to make that purchase happen yet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How ancient?

Right click My Computer > Properties

Make a note of the processor and ram

Then click Device Manager > Display Adapter

Tell us what your graphics card is

Boom

But most likely, you can play L4D easily. Source games are very scaleable.

Super ancient - 2.4gig cpu, 1gb ram, GeForce 5900XT graphics (!!!).

It's a piece of shit.

edit: I actually didn't realise it had so little ram, I wonder if I could cannibalise my other machine for the extra ram... hmmm

Suairyu

Banned
Suairyu's list of launch games that actually live up to the hype: (ignores downloadable titles)

NES
Super Mario Bros.

Master System
Fantasy Zone

Mega Drive
Golden Axe

SNES
Super Mario World
F-Zero

Sega Saturn
Panzer Dragoon
Daytona USA

Playstation
Wipeout

Nintendo 64
Super Mario 64

Dreamcast
Hydro Thunder
Soul Calibur
Power Stone
The House of the Dead 2

PS2
SSX

Gamecube
Super Monkey Ball
Luigi's Mansion
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II

XBOX
Halo: Combat Evolved
Jet Set Radio Future
Project Gotham Racing

XBOX 360
Condemned
Project Gotham Racing 3
Call of Duty 2

PS3

Wii
Excite Truck
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Conclusion:
Consoles at launch windows suck.

Most games that get hyped up at launch are average at best.

Dreamcast is the only one that had more than three titles truly worth buying, rather than "fun to buy if you already have the console".

If I had included downloadable titles, 360 would have had Geometry Wars listed as well, but that was included in PGR3 so it's a moot point.

Soul Calibur, SSX, Halo, and Super Mario 64 = the only "buy this console for just this one game and it'd still be worth it" titles, except Halo then came out on PC so probably not.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I really wouldn't describe ZombiU as derivative. I'd say it is surprisingly ambitious and different. Not a great game, but a great concept.

Nintendo Land now there's a great launch game. I do agree that launches almost always suck. The 3DS may have had the very worst of them all. It was dire until OoT, 3D Land and MK7 came out. So, so bad. Now it is great though!

Suairyu

Banned
I really wouldn't describe ZombiU as derivative. I'd say it is surprisingly ambitious and different. Not a great game, but a great concept.
It's only taking survival horror tropes thoroughly explored (better) elsewhere into one concept. Sure, on paper it's really creative, I guess. But in playing it just feels stale and done already.

But man handheld launches are a complete other kettle of fish. I still feel sorry for people who bought the DS and PSP day one. Especially if they were stuck with that ugly phat DS... the launch of the DS lite was both when the hardware became acceptable and also roughly when the software library was finally strong enough. Judging from the launch, you'd have no idea it would go on to be one of the best gaming platforms in history.

Suairyu's list of launch games that actually live up to the hype:

Gameboy
Tetris (aka The Daddy of all games Your Dad plays more than you)

Game Gear
lol

Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance
Warioland 4
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Super Dodge Ball Advance
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

DS

PSP
Wipeout Pure

Conclusion:
I'd forgotten how amazing the GBA launch was. Almost Dreamcast beater right there, though lacking a "buy console for just this game alone" title.

Also, handheld launches suck even more than console launches!

But Tetris is the best game ever. One of my fondest memories is catching my dad up late playing Tetris on my Gameboy at 2am.

Lirlond

Get a PC.

Monster hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom