• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hystzen

I reaaaaaally want to jump on that Wii U deal too but it'd leave me with barely any cash

woe is life :(

They going be major cheap during holiday season they need to if PS4 and newxbox pops up end this year. Just hold of by then we should have release dates for the interesting titles like Bayo and X

Suairyu

Banned
Excitebike isn't that good.

...and neither is Rayman.
Then console launches are even worse than I imagined!

I like the original Rayman. But you're right, perhaps I'm being too fond on it and Excitebike. edited.

Excitetruck, though... one of my favourite games of last gen. Just so fun.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
you guys are representatives of uk nintendo haters
im-ok-with-this.jpg

Chinner

Banned
don't worry about the wii u purchase Dave, I'm plonking down some money to get the xperia zl, but at least I have games to play on my phone.

needless to say I had the last laugh

SmokyDave

Zombi-U sucks and anyone that thinks the Wii-U is next-gen has never owned a 360 or PS3. Still, off-TV play is cool!

Can't wait for next week on Britgaf when Smoky puts his WiiU up for sale at £150, before selling to Hot Coldman for £99.99 after intense negotiations.
Nah, I never sell current gen stuff. Whether it grows on me or not, it's here to stay.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Has anyone here ever thought of quitting games as a hobby in return for something more...productive? We spend an awful lot of time playing, discussing and trying to get better at these things when ultimately they don't really amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. And for that matter, we can add general Internet browsing and forums too. I'm thinking of quitting it all because I feel like it's just pure escapism and isn't making me truly happy at all for the huge amount of time I spend on these activities. Or maybe it's just one of those 'cycles' and I'll be back next week only to repeat this whole thing again. Sometimes I wish I had picked up a different hobby in my childhood, stuck with reading and writing books and stories or never taken an interest in computers. It all feels extremely trivial and a terrible waste of time when I really sit myself down and think about it. The real downer is that lots of people probably have has this thought already, and maybe even like me, had it more than once and already know that nothing really changes and you just go back to normal in the escapism until something makes you remember that you feel extremely unfulfilled and that void, the hole inside hasn't really been filled at all by the games and the distractions of media, only covered up and concealed.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Just watched October Sky
Awesome..
Has anyone here ever thought of quitting games as a hobby in return for something more...productive? We spend an awful lot of time playing, discussing and trying to get better at these things when ultimately they don't really amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. And for that matter, we can add general Internet browsing and forums too. I'm thinking of quitting it all because I feel like it's just pure escapism and isn't making me truly happy at all for the huge amount of time I spend on these activities. Or maybe it's just one of those 'cycles' and I'll be back next week only to repeat this whole thing again. Sometimes I wish I had picked up a different hobby in my childhood, stuck with reading and writing books and stories or never taken an interest in computers. It all feels extremely trivial and a terrible waste of time when I really sit myself down and think about it.
I understand what you are saying, but does that mean I should stop reading fiction too?
I do think i should practice guitar, music theory more... But i cant help it D:
It's like getting 103% in the DKCs. 100%= completing the main game. Then you can achieve more by mastering each level.
Yeah

Whatever, that's stupid

A game can measure its own completion however it pleases, but in terms of... relativity, you cant go past 100% completion in a game, it simply doesnt make sense

noffles

Banned
There are things I think my time would be much more well spent on, yes. The thing is, getting myself to university pretty much just stopped me being able to play games as much as I'd like and forced me into a position where I have to think about what I do with my time.

I'll never stop playing games, but there's no doubt in my mind that I'll keep slowing down the pace a bit as my life goes on. As much as my friends joke about it, I do want to be able to hold down a relationship at one point, and obsessively playing games for marathon sessions like I used to do all the time as a young teenager would be a big no-no now.

I guess, really, the only thing driving me away from videogames is the taboo.

8bit

Knows the Score
Has anyone here ever thought of quitting games as a hobby in return for something more...productive? We spend an awful lot of time playing, discussing and trying to get better at these things when ultimately they don't really amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. And for that matter, we can add general Internet browsing and forums too. I'm thinking of quitting it all because I feel like it's just pure escapism and isn't making me truly happy at all for the huge amount of time I spend on these activities. Or maybe it's just one of those 'cycles' and I'll be back next week only to repeat this whole thing again. Sometimes I wish I had picked up a different hobby in my childhood, stuck with reading and writing books and stories or never taken an interest in computers. It all feels extremely trivial and a terrible waste of time when I really sit myself down and think about it. The real downer is that lots of people probably have has this thought already, and maybe even like me, had it more than once and already know that nothing really changes and you just go back to normal in the escapism until something makes you remember that you feel extremely unfulfilled and that void, the hole inside hasn't really been filled at all by the games and the distractions of media, only covered up and concealed.

No.

If you feel you should do something else, do something else. Read. Write. Make music. Dance. It's a hobby, not an addiction.

SteveWD40

Nothing is truly productive, we will all be stardust at some point. That said, I have quit all but iOS gaming due to lack of time / inclination.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
No.

If you feel you should do something else, do something else. Read. Write. Make music. Dance. It's a hobby, not an addiction.
I'm no doctor but I am fairly confident in saying that it can be. There are definitely more 'productive' hobbies out there. But I agree with you and Steve that it really is just personal preference. That I question and feel unsatisfied about this is really more of an indication something needs to change about me rather than a referendum on the hobby itself.

If I don't feel fulfilled with what I do with my time, it is I who needs to spend it doing something else.

Any MancGAF heading out around Oxford Road tonight? The Deaf Institute is having this 5th anniversary thing and they have free entry and drinks with some printed thingy. Gonna be there around 10. :D

SKINNER!

Banned
uuugh, I'm fucked on raspberry flavoured vodka and desperados. I love you all! Britgaf for life! RIP Incon. Evilore, although I don't agree with some of your opinions, I mean no disrespect... :)

Man, people fucking love themselves some Gaslight Anthem. Hell of a crowd. ...Well, aside from a few wankers shouting through Brian Fallon's surprisingly charming non-sequitirs, but it's Leeds, what can you do.

Japandroids fucking rocked it, I sensed they may have gained some new fans tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom