• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
They're really nice bikes, good value too. I always intended to replace the forks for suspension but I've got so used to the lightness and feedback of the carbon forks I'm not going to bother. Plus 29er shocks are pricey.

2012-2.jpg

It was a good day for a ride yesterday. Clear sky and lots of Autumnal scents in the air (coal fires, wet leaves, woodsmoke.) Felt good to get out of the house.

Mikeside

They're really nice bikes, good value too. I always intended to replace the forks for suspension but I've got so used to the lightness and feedback of the carbon forks I'm not going to bother. Plus 29er shocks are pricey.

2012-2.jpg

It was a good day for a ride yesterday. Clear sky and lots of Autumnal scents in the air (coal fires, wet leaves, woodsmoke.) Felt good to get out of the house.

Looks like a post-rock album cover. Awesome.

Jedeye - sorry I missed your gig last night - I was absolutely wiped out. When's the next one?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
About 10 minutes left on the battery and I have about 10 minutes left at work.

I'm going to get home and find my charger right next to where I packed my bad this morning. I just know it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Looks like a post-rock album cover. Awesome.

Jedeye - sorry I missed your gig last night - I was absolutely wiped out. When's the next one?

That does look like a good cover... yoink! lol I kid :p

And no worries about last night fella, I understand. tbh if I wasn't playing I would have been quite happy staying in myself! It went quite well I think, it sounded like shite from the stage but the crowd seemed into it, and all us bands knew each other so it was just an extended catch-up and jam session with a paying audience. Fun!

I've been hearing final mixes of the EP today, I can't wait to get pimping this properly!

Sunderland's Irish winger James McClean has received death threats over his decision not to wear a poppy on his shirt last weekend. Martin O'Neill revealed the news speaking after yesterday's game against Fulham at Craven Cottage.

McClean was barracked by some supporters yesterday over his decision. "James will deal with it," O'Neill said. "I think it's probably to do with the issue of last week. It's a free choice in this world. James has lived with a lot of things, he's getting death threats as well now so that doesn't help." One former British solider wrote on Twitter earlier this week that McClean "deserves to be shot dead + body dragged past the cenotaph" before later withdrawing the comments.

McClean is from Derry – close to the site of Bloody Sunday in 1972 – and comes from a nationalist background. He plays international football for the Republic of Ireland and refused to wear a shirt with an embroidered poppy last week against Everton.​

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...inger-james-mcclean-over-poppies-8327399.html

SmokyDave

Woah, I hadn't noticed it was a 29'er. Probably the best proportioned 29'er I've ever seen.

I really want an On-One Fatty but I think the missus would break my face. She's not terribly happy that bike number 4 is on the way (a GT RTS, no less. Restoration project ahoy!). Maybe next year.

2012-2.jpg

Yup. That's what it's all about. Nice picture, man.

SKINNER!

Banned
BBC News said:
_64220475_64220474.jpg

A Santa Claus was left dangling from the ceiling after his beard became trapped while abseiling inside a Reading shopping centre as part of a Christmas lights switch-on show.

He was stuck for about 30 minutes about 15ft off the ground in the Broad Street Mall on Saturday afternoon.
Eyewitness Ryan Gaudreau said: "Everyone was laughing at him - he didn't really know what to do."

Stephanie Maynard, marketing manager at the centre, said Santa was not hurt.

"He could have just taken his beard off and let himself down but he was such a professional and he didn't want to let the children down," she said.

"He lost his footing as he came through the hole in the ceiling and there was a sudden jolt and he got caught in the clip on the rope.

"Some people were absolutely mortified while others thought it was the funniest thing ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-20386903

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.

2012-2.jpg

Seeing a picture with no awesome mountain backdrop is depressing. Living in a flat country must kill your soul a little each time you go outside and see no awesome mountain backdrop.

The only flat country i find acceptable is the Netherlands. Your soul is to stoned to be killed there.

carlingZestRefreshingWinterLager.jpg

This beer is so fucking refreshing. Who would have thought orange and lager would go together.It also a nice low alc percent for you twilight fans.

Jill Sandwich

Seeing a picture with no awesome mountain backdrop is depressing. Living in a flat country must kill your soul a little each time you go outside and see no awesome mountain backdrop.

That picture in no way represents all my area has to offer. It's not mountainous, but I don't get any joy from 4Xing down a black run. I like pottering about. That said, I'm looking forward to my holiday on Arran next summer.

glenrosa_640.jpg

What's everyone got planned for New Year's Eve?

Seanbob11

That picture in no way represents all my area has to offer. It's not mountainous, but I don't get any joy from 4Xing down a black run. I like pottering about. That said, I'm looking forward to my holiday on Arran next summer.

glenrosa_640.jpg

Noo. Stay on the mainland, my home town is only 30 minutes away! :)

SKINNER!

Banned

Apart from doing this with the posse? Nothing major. Not sure if we'll all be house-partying it up or heading to the hogmanay street party in Edinburgh (possible Scot-GAF new year meetup?). Family doesn't celebrate xmas but we're all off from work so it's one of the few times of the year where we all have dinner together, gather round the TV and be all family and shit. Might beat some games I picked up aaages ago. My wooden CD/DVD rack in my old bedroom needs fixing. That's about it really.

Jill Sandwich

It's already booked, my friend's slapped the deposit down on this holiday home!
I'll be checking out the brewery, distillery and local produce, do a lap of the island, have ramblings in the woods and other adventurous stuff.

Maybe I'll come over on the ferry and get you in a headlock.

I'm probably doing The Warehouse Project in Manc for NYE, I fancy throwing some shapes to flashing lights in a cramped sweaty venue. Like that bit in Matrix Reloaded.

I'll be checking out the brewery, distillery and local produce, do a lap of the island, have ramblings in the woods and other adventurous stuff.

That place looks awesome, my boyfriend will be very jealous.

I'll be staying in New Years Eve, either have some friends round mine or go to someone else's. I can't remember the last time I went out for New Years. Everywhere's too expensive, too crowded, too much hassle.

SKINNER!

Banned

It is? oh snap. Looks like it'll be a house gathering new years eve this year. I'm sure one of them will know a public hosted event somewhere. You are in for a fucking treat by the way. Heard beautiful things about the Isle of Arran from my work peers.

EDIT: thought you meant the Edinburgh hogmanay tickets were fully booked/sold out there for a second. Didn't see Seanbob's post.

Mr. Sam

I'll be staying in New Years Eve, either have some friends round mine or go to someone else's. I can't remember the last time I went out for New Years. Everywhere's too expensive, too crowded, too much hassle.

This right here. New Years is the time to have some friends over and break out the expensive alcohol.

I would stay contracting, its one thing I wish I did and if I ever get let go I will go down that route. You can make some serious money as a contractor.

Well, I'm with you for now, at least. I kept up freelance and I'm on my day rate til the new year, at least. Very likely longer - we have another guy here who's been freelance solidly for the last 6 months now. In short, last month (at my old place) I paid £225 national insurance - this month, I'll pay £10. Add to that the lowered tax liability due to "profit" offsetting and the fact that day rates are always higher than salaries, and I'm looking to be boosting my income by... quite a bit, AND I have much greater freedom.

Obviously, I lose out in certain areas too.

Chinner

Banned
I'm wanting to get out the UK next year to get some variety of life and do some travelling. Obviously going travelling for a year would cost shit loads and I don't have an large internet forum to fund this adventure of mine, so I'm looking to work abroad.

My question is has anyone done this here, is it actually feasible and does anyone have good advice/websites for me to draw on? I always see things like teaching English in Thailand/Asia etc but I'm not sure if they're not completely legit and if they'll fund me to live. I've had others tell me that you can work in ski resorts doing minor shit (working in Hotels etc) but I'm not sure how much freedom you'll actually get and if those are sort after/competitive with young adults looking to do the same thing. Also had people tell me you just have to be prepared to travel out their without any job pre-arranged and just be prepared to go around asking bars and shit.

Any words?

I'm wanting to get out the UK next year to get a bit of variety of life and do some travelling while I'm still relatively young. Obviously going travelling for a year would cost shit loads and I don't really own any large internet forums to fund this adventure of mine, so I'm looking to just work abroad.

My question is really is has anyone done this, is it actually feasible and does anyone have good advice/websites for me to draw on? I always see things like teaching English in Thailand/Asia etc but I'm not sure if they're not completely legit and if they'll fund me to live. I've had others tell me that you can work in ski resorts doing minor shit (working in Hotels etc) but I'm not sure how much freedom you'll actually get and if those are sort after/competitive with young adults. Also had people tell me you just have to be prepared to travel out their without any job pre-arranged and just be prepared to go around asking bars and shit.

Any words?
I have had quite a few friends that went abroad without any money and ended up hating it, because they basically just shifting a minimum wage lifestyle from one part of the country to another where they have no friends. It sounds good living somewhere else, but when you're basically stuck in your hostel room because everything, from drinking to travelling to eating to shopping - costs more money than you can afford. Those that have had the best time, from my friends at least, were those that worked their balls of here first, saved, and then went out there and travelled. Most still worked whilst out there, but they weren't living hand to mouth and thus enjoyed it. Most of this group were travelling for less time as a result, but that time which they were abroad for was much more enjoyable for them.

This is all second hand knowledge - I've never been travelling, I went straight from school to university to work.

f0rk

You've never heard of Death Cab? They're pretty huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu4qQKlyF7s

No but I think it's one of those bands I feel like I should have. I'll buy it next time I go on amazon.

Out of interest what's you indie guitar guys' album of the year? I know it won't be as good as Kendrick Lamar but still. I loved Cloud Nothings but that's the only one I've really listened to I think. Went back to Yuck a lot though.

Darren870

I'm wanting to get out the UK next year to get some variety of life and do some travelling. Obviously going travelling for a year would cost shit loads and I don't have an large internet forum to fund this adventure of mine, so I'm looking to work abroad.

My question is has anyone done this here, is it actually feasible and does anyone have good advice/websites for me to draw on? I always see things like teaching English in Thailand/Asia etc but I'm not sure if they're not completely legit and if they'll fund me to live. I've had others tell me that you can work in ski resorts doing minor shit (working in Hotels etc) but I'm not sure how much freedom you'll actually get and if those are sort after/competitive with young adults looking to do the same thing. Also had people tell me you just have to be prepared to travel out their without any job pre-arranged and just be prepared to go around asking bars and shit.

Any words?

Depends on what you do and how you do it. I moved to the UK to travel and travel a lot, but I also have a good job and was into my career when I came.

If your looking to do ESL in Asia (always been my backup plan) you will be exploring the country you stay in a lot. You usually get free housing but you don't make that much money so its hard to hop to other countries. Your splurge money is usually from tutoring on the side.

As for Ski resorts its a seasonal thing. So if you like skiing go for it, but your stuck skiing. I knew someone that worked for a tour operator and he said he only had enough money to party a bit and ski.

Same with tour operators, don't make much but you can travel a bit. If you look into like sail Croatia or something like that you can do Croatia for a summer.

If you want to work on a farm in exchange for room and board there is http://www.wwoof.org/europe.asp

So yea, its what you make of it. You could work it out where traveling is like your job and basically you are getting paid to travel/entertain/explore. Or you can go to a place and get a desk job and then travel from there. Don't know what your qualifications are though.

Mikeside

No but I think it's one of those bands I feel like I should have. I'll buy it next time I go on amazon.

Out of interest what's you indie guitar guys' album of the year? I know it won't be as good as Kendrick Lamar but still. I loved Cloud Nothings but that's the only one I've really listened to I think. Went back to Yuck a lot though.

The Shins - Port of Morrow - by a country mile - the only other release that comes close is The xx - Coexist, but that's not guitary at all

Any words?

One of my friends is currently doing a year in China, place called Fuzhou according to his Facebook (it's on the coast, right across from Taiwan). He's teaching little school kids English, and obviously didn't need to know Mandarin. From what I remember he's staying there the whole year, gets a room, works 4 days a week, and lives with other people doing the same thing. He's also flew out to Shanghai and stuff for the weekend, so he can't be doing too bad. I think he wanted to do his year in Taiwan, but it was too competitive to get a spot there. I could ask him for the company he arranged it with if you want?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah Cloud Nothings was pretty awesome, I lived in that for a while. I'd probably say the new Grizzly Bear, it just sounds so damn good, it's a treat. Or the new Titus Andronicus album, godamn I love that band so much. So anthemic. Songs to yell along to and hyperventilate trying to sing :D

Anyway, what I really came to this thread for was - SECRET SANTA HELP! Guys, I have to go to this work christmas lunch (first year here) and there's a secret santa which a) I've never done before and b) I don't even know the person. I do know she's a woman however. I'm TERRIBLE at christmas. So bad in fact that my immediate family are not buying pressies this year because we've just had enough of it.

So. Secret Santa gift (£5) for someone you've never met before. WAT. Help!

SKINNER!

Banned
So. Secret Santa gift (£5) for someone you've never met before. WAT. Help!

£5 gift voucher from poundland? :p They'll be able to get 5 things!!

On a serious note, that's a tough one. A mug? really expensive box of chocolates? hmmm, I'd ask a friend to go on a reconnaissance mission If I were you.

Any NIN fans here? Wanna get into them. Hit me with some recommendations.

Also, Good morning! feeling way better today compared to yesterday :)
Best instant coffee ever!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
£5 gift voucher from poundland? :p They'll be able to get 5 things!!

On a serious note, that's a tough one. A mug? really expensive box of chocolates? hmmm, I'd ask a friend to go on a reconnaissance mission If I were you.

Any NIN fans here? Wanna get into them. Hit me with some recommendations.

Also, Good morning! feeling way better today compared to yesterday :)
Best instant coffee ever!

Yeah, I might need to find some more info about my target... commence mission Office Stalker!

As for NIN, the widely acknowledged 'best' album is The Downward Spiral. It's pretty good and I think it's aged pretty well. With Teeth is pretty good, and so is The Slip.

I love NIN but they are fairly patchy with regards to their records. I love The Fragile for instance, but I don't know if I should be recommending a bloated massive 2 cd album. I reckon start with Downward Spiral and work forward from there.

And this is why I don't work properly out in the world. This would never occur to me, ever.

Jill Sandwich

Umberto Gianni shampoo/conditioner is a girls' best friend.

UpAwJ.jpg

If I get a lady in my SS she's definitely getting some, and a pair of bath bombs to complete the set.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Umberto Gianni shampoo/conditioner is a girls' best friend.

UpAwJ.jpg

If I get a lady in my SS she's definitely getting some, and a pair of bath bombs to complete the set.

But... isn't it a bit sexist? A bit like if someone were to buy me a football or car thing or whatever if is that boys are into. Do I want to be reinforcing the sexist status quo?? Is it me or do traditionally 'girly' presents patronise and assume the recipient has no actual personality devoid of how she smells. Hey, you're a girl, go wash yourself because you have nothing else to contribute :p

I am not saying you're sexist of course, it's just something I think about in terms of the culture at large. All my wife seems to get from her family is smellies. I'd be miffed if that was me. It's like getting socks, it's a present of last resort.

I think I need to find something a bit odd. What about a special kind of tea or something? People at work are always drinking tea aren't they?

Money in a card? tbh I'd like money over anything.

I could give her a signed copy of my new ep lmao

Millicano is the king of instant coffees.

NIN were awesome, pretty much go with what Jedeye said.

I would hate to get anything bathroom related for a secret Santa, such a cop out. Last year I got the little book of calm, something like that is good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A stress toy that looks suspiciously like a sex aid! It's the perfect ingredient to any office, people go fucking bananas if they see anything that even resembles a cock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom