• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got made redundant a week and a half ago. I am doing some freelance this week, and I think they're going to offer me a permanent contract. Now, this isn't a bad situation to be in, but I was at my last company for 3.5 years. I am enjoying this week of freelance - do I want to end my naughty affair with day-rates so soon? It's a toss up between the variety and pay of freelance vs the (relative) security and potential for professional progress that permanent contracts offer. This company also does some very cool work, and the team there seem very nice, and they're growing.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I used to weight 120kg, dropped to 87kg so far, but I've hovered about this weight for weeks now. Probably need to do more cardio.

Buy a bicycle. It does wonders. It's "functional exercise" as it can provide a means of transport instead of just being "something that you do" after work/school/etc. And it's a lot more fun that just being locked in a gym.

I used to cycle from Anniesland to Glasgow Caley every day back in 2005/2006. And before/after uni I would cycle 12 miles a day to get to and from work. That kept me in check. I'd cycle everywhere in Taipei if it weren't for the other assholes on the road (that and the 40c 99% humidity in summer.)

What exercise are you looking at? I gym it up fine, but I suppose if you're looking at team sports it might be an issue! Speaking of which, just got back from the gym, bloody knackered!

Before I got my PE in May I was aiming to train full-time muay thai, boxing and BJJ for the remainder of 2012.

If I come off the warfarin then I'll probably do something similar.

Mikeside

Some fucking bastards broke into my work last night and nicked a load of kit from my office :(

Especially pissed off because I'd just finished building an image with loads of awkward, time consuming shit on it and had just deployed it to 10 machines that I was due to deliver today which took fooking ages.

They're all gone, plus about 5 other laptops and about 5 desktop PCs too.

My day is going to be HELL. There aren't enough frowny faces, you guys.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well Google Music seems to be rather handy. Shame it only accepts mp3 so my lossless files will have to stay at home.

Darren870

I got made redundant a week and a half ago. I am doing some freelance this week, and I think they're going to offer me a permanent contract. Now, this isn't a bad situation to be in, but I was at my last company for 3.5 years. I am enjoying this week of freelance - do I want to end my naughty affair with day-rates so soon? It's a toss up between the variety and pay of freelance vs the (relative) security and potential for professional progress that permanent contracts offer. This company also does some very cool work, and the team there seem very nice, and they're growing.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I would stay contracting, its one thing I wish I did and if I ever get let go I will go down that route. You can make some serious money as a contractor.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Some fucking bastards broke into my work last night and nicked a load of kit from my office :(

Especially pissed off because I'd just finished building an image with loads of awkward, time consuming shit on it and had just deployed it to 10 machines that I was due to deliver today which took fooking ages.

boo :( but on the plus side, at least it wasn't YOUR stuff they nicked :p

Spending this morning attempting to work in between listening to new mixes of the Parachute for Gordo demo. My ego is skyrocketing by the hour. Can't wait till its all done in a couple of weeks and I can get pimping properly. And art! I need to start thinking about art!

3Sixty

Had a crazy 24 hour bug yesterday. Could barely move yet now I'm fine.

Still calling into work sick for continuation purposes.

Had a crazy 24 hour bug yesterday. Could barely move yet now I'm fine.

Still calling into work sick for continuation purposes.

Nice. I do this too. Firstly, because it makes the illness seem more genuine if you're off for two days rather than one. Secondly, because most companies allow you 3 instances of sick, whether it's one day or two days it's still just one instance. And thirdly, because what's the point of being off work if you can't enjoy it because you're so ill? Might as well stay off even if you're better so you can enjoy it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Holy fuck last night was heavy, theatre society's gonna be the fucking death of me.

Zutroy

I've got such a huge craving for a pizza right now, so I ordered a Domino's for me to eat in the office. 15 minutes to go...

Clegg

Apologies if ths article brings the mood down a bit. I feel that it's an important story though. A woman found out she was in the process of miscarriage and asked for an abortion. She was denied an abortion because "Ireland is a Catholic country. The foetus dies two days later, followed shortly by the mother.

It pisses me off that we've effectively killed the mother as the abortion might have saved her life. Ireland is still very much in the dark ages when it comes to this.

Two investigations are under way into the death of a woman who was 17 weeks pregnant, at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar (31), a dentist, presented with back pain at the hospital on October 21st, was found to be miscarrying, and died of septicaemia a week later.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar (34), an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.

She spent a further 2½ days “in agony” until the foetal heartbeat stopped.

Intensive care

The dead foetus was removed and Savita was taken to the high dependency unit and then the intensive care unit, where she died of septicaemia on the 28th.

An autopsy carried out by Dr Grace Callagy two days later found she died of septicaemia “documented ante-mortem” and E.coli ESBL.

A hospital spokesman confirmed the Health Service Executive had begun an investigation while the hospital had also instigated an internal investigation. He said the hospital extended its sympathy to the family and friends of Ms Halappanavar but could not discuss the details of any individual case.

Speaking from Belgaum in the Karnataka region of southwest India, Mr Halappanavar said an internal examination was performed when she first presented.

“The doctor told us the cervix was fully dilated, amniotic fluid was leaking and unfortunately the baby wouldn’t survive.” The doctor, he says, said it should be over in a few hours. There followed three days, he says, of the foetal heartbeat being checked several times a day.

“Savita was really in agony. She was very upset, but she accepted she was losing the baby. When the consultant came on the ward rounds on Monday morning Savita asked if they could not save the baby could they induce to end the pregnancy. The consultant said, ‘As long as there is a foetal heartbeat we can’t do anything’.

“Again on Tuesday morning, the ward rounds and the same discussion. The consultant said it was the law, that this is a Catholic country. Savita [a Hindu] said: ‘I am neither Irish nor Catholic’ but they said there was nothing they could do.

“That evening she developed shakes and shivering and she was vomiting. She went to use the toilet and she collapsed. There were big alarms and a doctor took bloods and started her on antibiotics.

“The next morning I said she was so sick and asked again that they just end it, but they said they couldn’t.”

Critically ill

At lunchtime the foetal heart had stopped and Ms Halappanavar was brought to theatre to have the womb contents removed. “When she came out she was talking okay but she was very sick. That’s the last time I spoke to her.”

At 11 pm he got a call from the hospital. “They said they were shifting her to intensive care. Her heart and pulse were low, her temperature was high. She was sedated and critical but stable. She stayed stable on Friday but by 7pm on Saturday they said her heart, kidneys and liver weren’t functioning. She was critically ill. That night, we lost her.”

Mr Halappanavar took his wife’s body home on Thursday, November 1st, where she was cremated and laid to rest on November 3rd.

The hospital spokesman said that in general sudden hospital deaths were reported to the coroner. In the case of maternal deaths, a risk review of the case was carried out.

External experts were involved in this review and the family consulted on the terms of reference. They were also interviewed by the review team and given a copy of the report.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1114/1224326575203.html

SKINNER!

Banned

Holy shit! Another robbery. Sorry to hear that your work got lost during the robbery. Hopefully the police can catch the culprits and get the stuff back.

Apologies if ths article brings the mood down a bit. I feel that it's an important story though. A woman found out she was in the process of miscarriage and asked for an abortion. She was denied an abortion because "Ireland is a Catholic country. The foetus dies two days later, followed shortly by the mother.

It pisses me off that we've effectively killed the mother as the abortion might have saved her life. Ireland is still very much in the dark ages when it comes to this.

I just read about this on facebook.

And people wonder why I'm so vehemently against religion.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah I saw the very depressing thread about this. What frustrated me most is the question of why she didn't just go over the border to NI. Ireland is a small place, it wouldn't have taken that long. Hindsight and all that...

I'm not against religion necessarily, but I am certainly against religion in politics and policy making.

f0rk

Think my interview went alright, with hindsight there are a couple of things I wish I'd mentioned but she seemed to like me and commented on how good my placement sounded.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Think my interview went alright, with hindsight there are a couple of things I wish I'd mentioned but she seemed to like me and commented on how good my placement sounded.

Always the way isn't it? Sometimes it seems like every word you say in a sentence closes off like a hundred possibilities of things you can say, until the thing you ACTUALLY say seems lame and banal next to all the amazing things you could have said.

Don't sweat it buddy, fingers crossed for you :)

Scuderia

Good luck pal, you'll always have doubts and believe some things could have gone better in retrospect, but i'm sure you'll be alright.

SteveWD40

Fuck the Catholic Church, they are probably the most evil, corrupt, opulent society on Earth.

I would gladly nuke Vatican City from orbit.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What about Church of England?

700px-Logo_of_the_Church_of_England.svg.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTRjWDW3JSg

SteveWD40

C of E don't preach religion on Gold plated thrones while fiddling with alter boys, so yeah, they get a pass as being Mostly Harmless.

Mikeside

boo :( but on the plus side, at least it wasn't YOUR stuff they nicked :p

Spending this morning attempting to work in between listening to new mixes of the Parachute for Gordo demo. My ego is skyrocketing by the hour. Can't wait till its all done in a couple of weeks and I can get pimping properly. And art! I need to start thinking about art!

Not my stuff, but they've stolen a lot of my effort :(

Ahh well, got to do a full stocktake of the warehouse over the next week, but at least Hitman comes out this weekend :D
Edit: Nope, it comes out next tuesday. FML :(

Before I got my PE in May I was aiming to train full-time muay thai, boxing and BJJ for the remainder of 2012.

If I come off the warfarin then I'll probably do something similar.

Heh, you would look like you've been fighting then!

Fuck Student Finance. The most incompetent and poorly run body I've ever dealt with- an example of the public sector at its worst. They've been so utterly useless this year I could be making I could be talking about a parody of them.

Of course, there's no push to sort them out since they deal with students, and therefore very little appetite for the rest of the country to care.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Student Finance once sent me a letter because I cashed a cheque. But when I got a small amount of income they didn't even bother to write. What a strange algorithm they are using.

Cindres

I literally 110% have never met someone who hasn't had some sort of problem with student finance/ SLC.

Every single year we've had trouble.
Either they completely ignored my mum's means testing forms, or said they never arrived, or got my course wrong, or something else.

Always something.

f0rk

Already got a reply inviting me to the final interview! Woop Woop

I'm very lucky in never having to deal with student finance, but I've found Reed Graduates to be completely incompetent as well. They messed up a lot of peoples payment at the start and end of contracts (paid one guy more than they were supposed to then took double the money back out of his account) and now I'm trying to get some tax money back HMRC keep updating with "we are trying to get more info from Reed".

Congrats f0rk! Hope it goes well for you.

I've also never had to deal with student finance luckily. HMRC sent me a cheque earlier this year so I like them.

Fucking bunch of cunts.

I literally 110% have never met someone who hasn't had some sort of problem with student finance/ SLC.

For the first year at work they didn't take any money from my wages even though I ticked the box, they tried to blame me and gave me a fine. I told them to fuck off. Eventually I got sick of them and just paid off my loans in full, hate the bastards.

3Sixty

Got a massive 3 box delivery from Myprotien this morning.

Just went out and grabbed a take away pizza. Im doing something wrong.

God damn I am so hungry. Made the mistake of discussing favourite places to eat while only having a salad for lunch.

Still, meeting some friends for a Wagas after work so that should sort me out. If I can last that long :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sitting in my office typing up invoices and cursing the finance dept. Buncha cunts "we don't make invoices" WELL WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU FOR THEN? grrrrr

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Had to leave two slices of a 16 inch pizza. I'm sure in my younger day i could handle a 16inch no bother.

Getting older sucks. The pizza reheated will never be the same as it was fresh.

Mikeside

Aghauiob¬!!"£njlnasdf¬¬¬!!!!!

So thanks to motherfucking pikey thieves who robbed my warehouse, I have to come in on Saturday and Sunday to do stocktake, then I'm supposed to have Monday and Tuesday off as holiday, but I'm having to come in on the Monday to help out my apprentice because, again, due to pikey thieves, I haven't had a chance to train him on the system this week so I can't leave him on his own down here for 2 days.

I just want my 4 day weekend back :( :(

Cindres

Got me a Kinect from the uni today, cant wait to get cracking on some developing tonight.

GJS

For the first year at work they didn't take any money from my wages even though I ticked the box, they tried to blame me and gave me a fine. I told them to fuck off. Eventually I got sick of them and just paid off my loans in full, hate the bastards.

They don't usually start taking money until close to a year after the end of most courses anyway, the April following graduation. So I dunno what was up with that.

At the other end of the spectrum, I had no problems with my student loans at uni. My 4 years of applications all went through perfectly, and were usually paid a few days in advance of the stated payment dates. The fact that my student loan was originally dealt with via my LEA for the first 2 or 3 years before going to the central SLC system probably helped though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I finally got demo mixes from the session we did with Guerrilla Studios. They sound SO GOOD. I can't quite pimp them yet since we'll be doing further mixing to really nail the sound, but I'm so happy with how they turned out. Anyone in a band near London, give Guerrilla Studios a holla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom