• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubo

Well since I play on the go the regular 3DS does me fine. Can't think of a place that would let me pocket a XL (or even a Vita) to see if it fits in my jacket nicely. Theatrhythm is a good rhythm game and I don't even play Final Fantasy games.

I've been tempted to buy games in preparation for systems I don't own but if I had done that I'd still be with a bunch of unopened PS3/360 games. Was almost tempted to get that Ni no Kuni special edition until I realised it was silly to buy such an expensive bundle for a system I don't even have.
I justified it by knowing that my sister has a 3DS she says I can borrow to play stuff. Would be nice to get my own if I can convince myself some day.

Edit: 7 is my favourite final fantasy, it was also my first. I think there is a strong correlation between these two things.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I LOVE me some Ressie, but the bar was set too high with 4, Sheva made 5 really annoying, and 6 I'm just not bothering with, it's not survival horror anymore. I'd like to try Zombi U, but the reviews are a really mixed bag, and I'd have to buy a Wii U, which is £100 too much right now.

Industrian, check out the iOS Gaming Thread for wallet drainers.
Oh, and also the iOS Apps and iOS Board Gaming threads while you're at it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ZombiU is an obvious going down in price soon game, but the mixed reviews seem to be the result of reviewers not knowing how to play survival horror games.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dude, what am I missing with FF music? Because I played all of FF6 WITH THE SOUND UP and all I could hear was fairly nice if generic Japanese RPG music. I liked the Opera scene, that was quite sweet, but it was most often very backgroundy.

You seem to like it a lot, what is in it that you dig?

Personally, I honestly think that Zelda has the best RPG theme ever. So catchy and iconic. I played 40 hours of FF6 but I don't think I could hum you a tune from it :|

The first review on RPGFan sums up a lot of my feelings regarding it:

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ff6ost/index.html

Every song uses leitmotifs and Wagnerian styles to full effect. Characters, events, and emotions have their own distinctive themes and tones. Uematsu had a full grasp of what was going on in the game and pretty much every track fits the game perfectly.

It's one of those rare soundtracks (alongside other games like Chrono Trigger) where the music stands firmly side-by-side with the graphics and gameplay in being totally integral to the player's experience.

Note: I own physical copies of the CT and FF1-10 + 12 soundtracks alongside numerous other games. I'm rather proud of my VG soundtrack collection. I once nearly paid $400 for a sealed Terranigma OSV, but it bounced to $550 in the last minute.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The first review on RPGFan sums up a lot of my feelings regarding it:

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ff6ost/index.html

B-b-but it's a good tune. Heroic, sweeping, and it's survived I don't know how many interpretations. I stand by it.

Every song uses leitmotifs and Wagnerian styles to full effect. Characters, events, and emotions have their own distinctive themes and tones. Uematsu had a full grasp of what was going on in the game and pretty much every track fits the game perfectly.

It's one of those rare soundtracks (alongside other games like Chrono Trigger) where the music stands firmly side-by-side with the graphics and gameplay in being totally integral to the player's experience.

Note: I own physical copies of the CT and FF1-10 + 12 soundtracks alongside numerous other games. I'm rather proud of my VG soundtrack collection. I once nearly paid $400 for a sealed Terranigma OSV, but it bounced to $550 in the last minute.

I did like how each character had their own themes although tbh I only really noticed the Locke and Celes opera themes when they'd pop up.

It's certainly not bad by any means, but the gamer community love of the OSTs mystifies me a bit still.

I'm also glad you didn't spend $400 on that OSV, I would have to reach through the internets and clip you around the ear :p

Stubo

This talk has various FFVII music playing in my head. Cosmo Canyon is current. So many tunes that will be in there forever.

Mikeside

I miss all the daytime BritGAF fun since I can't really go on GAF much at work anymore :(

We need more late-night chat.

I LOVE me some Ressie, but the bar was set too high with 4, Sheva made 5 really annoying, and 6 I'm just not bothering with, it's not survival horror anymore. I'd like to try Zombi U, but the reviews are a really mixed bag, and I'd have to buy a Wii U, which is £100 too much right now.

Industrian, check out the iOS Gaming Thread for wallet drainers.
Oh, and also the iOS Apps and iOS Board Gaming threads while you're at it.

What do you think of Dead Space? I personally love the fuck out of it.

I like Dead Space. Visceral are pretty damn good at learning all the right lessons from Mikami's third-person shooter design, so even if it's not a patch on RE4 it stills hits the same beats in a satisfying way. I fully expect DS4 to include rocket slides.

industrian

I'm also glad you didn't spend $400 on that OSV, I would have to reach through the internets and clip you around the ear :p

You don't want to know how much the Lufia 2 soundtrack was going for before its re-release around 5-7 years ago.

Suairyu

Banned
Resident Evil 5 as a co-op tactical shooter with horror aesthetic played with a friend was the best "finished in one eight hour marathon session" gaming experience of the generation, in my mind.

It'd probably such rancid donkey shit singleplayer, though.

industrian

Resident Evil 5 as a co-op tactical shooter with horror aesthetic played with a friend was the best "finished in one eight hour marathon session" gaming experience of the generation, in my mind.

Bingo.

I bought my 360 in 2009 with RE5 (the red Elite) because my best friend had a 360 and was getting RE5. We spent hours playing the RE5 demo alone mastering our teamwork tactics and weapons usage, and we railroaded through the full game in two nights. One of the best co-op experiences of this generation IMO.

My favourite multiplayer experience this gen was MW2's Spec Ops. A friend and I blitzed through it on split screen - getting all the stars - in one night. That was amazing.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
How is it compared to BLOPS1? Really enjoyed BLOPS but hated MW1-3. I didn't buy BLOPS2 because it looked like MW with all those gadgets.

The gadgets are fun. Unlike Steve I actually prefer the future bits to the Cold War stuff, but I'm a sucker for near-future shit. Singleplayer is fun - some great environments and the whole multiple endings/mission outcomes thing gives some replayability.

Best CoD since MW2, IMO.

Edit: I also love the bad guy. Plus you get to punch Noriega in the face.

Mr. Sam

I agree to such a degree that I wonder if it was actually you I was playing it with. Motherfucker took both sniper rifles! Alright, you're the distance guy, that's why I'm the one with the shotgun which can take down a crowd of twelve zombies in one shot, but why do you need the same rifle twice? Bastard.

SKINNER!

Banned

It'd probably such rancid donkey shit singleplayer, though.

For the record, I played RE5's story on my own. It was donkey shit.

ZombiU is an obvious going down in price soon game, but the mixed reviews seem to be the result of reviewers not knowing how to play survival horror games.

I actually thought - along with Rayman Legends - it was a fun third-party Wii U game when I tried it earlier this year. Atmospheric and controls were not too shabby. Why is it getting mixed reviews?

Chinner

Banned
nah i had kentpaul skills when it came to re4 and 5. i pretty much did anything in re5, and back in the day was in the top 100 leaderboards for speed running. if memory serves me correctly anyway. probably not anymore mind.

i dont think re5 is as bad as some claim, but it's definitely underdveloped and just going through the motions trying to get the player from setpiece to setpiece. if thats what you want then fair enough i guess, but for me it just made most of it unmemorable and missed opportunities. the african village at the beginning could have been pretty sweet with the idea of horror in daylight like it was originally pitched to be, but nope you spend like an hour or so there and then you get into the amazing on-rail segment shooting black people on bikes and then you ahve the el gigante boss battle where you just shoot at his knees.

i think the game needed some padding to it really, just something to develop atmosphere, introduce the game to the concept of pacing and builds up and maybe even develop the characters, bosses and story some more (lol).

Mikeside

I won't say what I bought, as it's a Christmas present for somebody who might read this, but I got something mailed from Phisheep's shop and it's pretty great and was incredibly cheap.

I can't wait for his online store to go up. :)

Photos provided after Christmas!

I'm sat on the floor in Brixton Academy right now. Just saw Papa Roach BLOW MY FUCKING MIND. Waiting for Stone Sour to come on. Good times.

Mikeside

Out of my respect for Musha as thread-mum, I'm not going to take the piss out of Papa Roach. Publicly :p

All I'll say about Papa Roach is that I resent all the metal-loving friends I had who adore Papa Roach, yet made fun of me for listening to emo music.

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
THIS IS MY LAST RESORT!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
All I'll say about Papa Roach is that I resent all the metal-loving friends I had who adore Papa Roach, yet made fun of me for listening to emo music.

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
THIS IS MY LAST RESORT!

Yeah thats not cool. Those who listen to glass bands should not be throwing stones.

I feel wrong talking about vaguely metal bands when this is my favourite song at the moment...

Tegen (I tihnk it's Tegen) has the face of one of the teenagers from Eastenders. It's freaky. Good song, though!

Just read that Marnie Stern's got a new album due in March. "The Chronicles of Marnia" is a fucking fantastic title, and the song sounds good so here's hoping it's a cracker. I hope she plays over here again too- I missed her last shows due to circumstances beyond my control.

Mikeside

Tegen (I tihnk it's Tegen) has the face of one of the teenagers from Eastenders. It's freaky. Good song, though!

Just read that Marnie Stern's got a new album due in March. "The Chronicles of Marnia" is a fucking fantastic title, and the song sounds good so here's hoping it's a cracker. I hope she plays over here again too- I missed her last shows due to circumstances beyond my control.

this is the first I've heard of her, but I like it. She sounds Icelandic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom