• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Which order are you putting them in Jedeye?

For the most part I'm snaking from top to bottom then bottom to top etc. Remember when you were a wee boy in exams? Just like that :) I figure I could do it by re-arranging the data in the order I need it, but it's such a pain the the arse (I've done a similar tactic for making place labels, it's very clever, I got the inspiration from playing Fez). I wish I could just assign an order to each cell in a table, it would be so easy. Or link them with behind-the-scenes arrows or something. Life's never that easy is it?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So the order goes
>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<
on the labels?

Well the default order in word is

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

whereas I'd like it to go

1 6 7
2 5 8
3 4 9

I've had a fairly thorough search around but it doesn't seem that word can physically do it which is annoying. I could work out a trick to sort the data in excel so it merges as the second example but it's really time consuming and I'd need to work it out per-exam and per venue which is prohibitively time consuming.

Honestly, while I'm doing the copy pasting it's all I think about. But I think this way is fastest, annoyingly. I have quick fingers. And carpal tunnel soon, I should expect.

SKINNER!

Banned
lolol @ Chinner's post. Even after reading the responses, I laughed out loud like a madman. Absolutely splendid.

Happy Birthday Lirlond! How many punches to the arm do I owe you? :p

SteveWD40 said:
I am listening to Daft Punk: Discovery right now (Too Long just started, fucking love the last half).

Great coding/get in the zone/workout music. Can't beat some Daft Punkness.

Also, last day in the office before the new year kicks in. OoOoOh jeah!!

Suairyu

Banned
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

dat moment where you boss gives you a fantastic opportunity on a day where you've booked an event with friends you've been looking forward to for weeks...

WHAT IS A MAN MEANT TO DO?! WHAT DOES HE PICK?!

dat moment where you boss gives you a fantastic opportunity on a day where you've booked an event with friends you've been looking forward to for weeks...

You pick the event with your friends. Your boss will understand and if he appreciates you then he'll give you another opportunity.

I never put work above my social life. It's just this thing I have to do in order to have a life, that's it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You pick the event with your friends. Your boss will understand and if he appreciates you then he'll give you another opportunity.

I never put work above my social life. It's just this thing I have to do in order to have a life, that's it.

yeah damn straight. Work is just something I do in between chunks of life.

In other news:

0.jpg

This guy made the video about Bronies and maculinity (good vid, well argued I thought). BUT what is freaky is that he looks really really like me, only slimmer and with a way better beard. And a bit more hipstery. But what the fuck? I'm losing all sense of self.

EDIT: this is me btw:

39421_1755919581957_332830_n.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned

hmm, a day out with the work crew or a proper good time with the buddies....

Unless you're guaranteed 100% to get something decent out of that work opportunity then go with the friends event man :)

EDIT: holy shit at the similarities.

SteveWD40

yeah damn straight. Work is just something I do in between chunks of life.

In other news:

0.jpg

This guy made the video about Bronies and maculinity (good vid, well argued I thought). BUT what is freaky is that he looks really really like me, only slimmer and with a way better beard. And a bit more hipstery. But what the fuck? I'm losing all sense of self.

EDIT: this is me btw:

39421_1755919581957_332830_n.jpg

:D

Ok maybe you in 10 years and after a bad night, but still...

Suairyu

Banned

hmm, a day out with the work crew or a proper good time with the buddies....

Unless you're guaranteed 100% to get something decent out of that work opportunity then go with the friends event man :)

EDIT: holy shit at the similarities.
I've gone with the job opportunity.

It's a day-shoot road trip in Kent and London, helping film interviews for the documentaries I've been working on. It's essential experience on my path to getting more creative roles in the media industry.

The buddies will understand.

Lirlond

21 Shorty, I can get pissed all over the world!

Fair play man, if it'll get you a better position or pay then you can go out more often in the future.

SteveWD40

I've gone with the job opportunity.

It's a day-shoot road trip in Kent and London, helping film interviews for the documentaries I've been working on. It's essential experience on my path to getting more creative roles in the media industry.

The buddies will understand.

Good man, work comes first when it's in moderation. I said the same to my gf, she works in a senior capacity at the BBC and was asking me what she should do in a similar situation, I said "this is your career, your friends will understand".

As long as it's not every time, but on stuff like this it's 100% the right choice.

Good man, work comes first when it's in moderation. I said the same to my gf, she works in a senior capacity at the BBC and was asking me what she should do in a similar situation, I said "this is your career, your friends will understand".

As long as it's not every time, but on stuff like this it's 100% the right choice.

I guess that's the difference, I don't think of this as a career, it's just a job.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You guys need to get new jobs already. Work should be a pleasure. Challenging, but something you enjoy rising to.

This is my new job! It's as good as I can imagine it being. Lovely school, great people, free lunches, lots of respect.

But really, all the things I'd LOVE to do (run a comic shop, write, be a rockstar) wouldn't pay the bills. We can't all be in the media elite ya know :p

Suairyu

Banned
Elite, hah! I'm only able to live right now because I live with the 'rents. But it has good future prospects and I love it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Elite, hah! I'm only able to live right now because I live with the 'rents. But it has good future prospects and I love it.

Ah well there you go then. I'm a grown ass man with a mortgage, working to put a roof over my head. Not that the media elite would know anything about that :p

When you're a grownup, sometimes life funnels you down a path. It's not the path you'd necessarily have chosen for yourself, but it's not bad.

For me, life is all about being creative outside of work. There's only so many jobs in creative media, but you can also do it for free and have a similar sense of acheivement. Like getting my music played on the mofuckin radio dawg! So good :D

Ah well there you go then. I'm a grown ass man with a mortgage, working to put a roof over my head. Not that the media elite would know anything about that :p

When you're a grownup, sometimes life funnels you down a path. It's not the path you'd necessarily have chosen for yourself, but it's not bad.

For me, life is all about being creative outside of work. There's only so many jobs in creative media, but you can also do it for free and have a similar sense of acheivement. Like getting my music played on the mofuckin radio dawg! So good :D

Totally this. If I knew then what I know now.... But now I earn a really nice wage, I'm too old to go back and start all over again. And I don't hate my job, that's enough for me.

SteveWD40

I wanted to be a Games Designer when I was 15, I told my careers advisor and she said I was being "stupid" and giving silly answers...

It was 1995, there was no such thing as a uni degree in gaming back then (I also had shit maths results).

If I could pick any career I would pick 100 before I picked my current one, but none of them are viable frankly. We are lucky to have the choices we have, our parents generation didn't, back then the local mill shut the whole town was fucked.

Our kids will have even more choice, despite what doom merchants like to think.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Chase that comic book shop dream, Jedeye. Refuse to grow old.

It's a dead dream :( my friend owned the one in my town and had to close about 4 years ago. It's what I get for being niche.

Never growing old though! I'm the biggest kid I know, and not just cos I'm a fatass.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
You guys need to get new jobs already. Work should be a pleasure. Challenging, but something you enjoy rising to.

Why didn't you tell me this 10 years ago?

Yeah this has happened to me when I failed Uni. It's not what I wanted but it's kept me fed, sheltered and consumer electronic'd.

But...

vQt8x.gif
vXEf7.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I wanted to be a Games Designer when I was 15, I told my careers advisor and she said I was being "stupid" and giving silly answers...

It was 1995, there was no such thing as a uni degree in gaming back then (I also had shit maths results).

If I could pick any career I would pick 100 before I picked my current one, but none of them are viable frankly. We are lucky to have the choices we have, our parents generation didn't, back then the local mill shut the whole town was fucked.

Our kids will have even more choice, despite what doom merchants like to think.

I'm the same as you. When I was about 14 I really really wanted to learn how to program but the support just wasn't there in the community. Although, my best mate did a CS degree and is now a web programmer, so even he didn't follow his dreams, and he could actually do it!

Growing up is all about compromising the promises you made to yourself as a child. And that's not even a bad thing, kids are idiots.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Why didn't you tell me this 10 years ago?

Yeah this has happened to me when I failed Uni. It's not what I wanted but it's kept me fed, sheltered and consumer electronic'd.

But...

vQt8x.gif
vXEf7.gif

Hehe, I think that feeling explains my quarter life crisis and my fervent (now lapsed) belief that the works ends next week. Let's hope I was wrong, eh?

My advice, find something you enjoy and do it still in your spare time. For me, playing a show once a month and making art and writing keeps me really happy. And I get to have adventures still.

Edit: fixed autotxt Freudian slip...

f0rk

I agree with Suairyu (although my work ambitions are pretty boring) but I think there's a bit of an age gap showing.

Jill Sandwich

Aye I dabble in shooting mucky ladies for my friend's fetish website which I hope will turn into a more fun way of earning money. I fettle with coding which could open another career direction. I haven't given up hope yet!
My bass guitar remains untouched for years, I should pick it up again...

Yes there is an unusually high ratio of bassists to other musicians here, if we ever tried setting up a Brit-Gaf band we'd have some problems (leads vocals here obviously).

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm too old to go back and start all over again.

Gah, harrumph, don't give that "too old" stuff. I started all over again three times (I think one of my brothers did too - the other one's a bit of a stick-in-the-mud).

It's invigorating. Partly because you start without all the youthful inhibitions.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Aye I dabble in shooting mucky ladies for my friend's fetish website which I hope will turn into a more fun way of earning money. I fettle with coding which could open another career direction. I haven't given up hope yet!
My bass guitar remains untouched for years, I should pick it up again...

Well that sounds like a super rewarding hobby, keep at it. And post pics :p

It's by no means all bad is it? I admire Unspellable-Duckie's pluck and youthful outlook but it's definitely a pov born of luck as much as the obvious talent needed. Some, actually most, of us are simply born at the wrong time in the wrong place to the wrong people, as far as our ambitions are concerned. But life isn't all about getting 'the job' so I tend not to worry. Life is about love and art and that's all that matters to me :)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Jill that gift was inspired. Best secret santa gift set I've ever seen. Also given that your previous tiny tim turned out to be a tiny terry you should of gotten 'em to return the collection!

Wow, you are an amazing person! I don't even get shit that cool from people who (say they) love me!

That is awesome Jill, well done.

Do you and your wife not go crazy and buy stupid expensive shit for each other?

I'll PM you what I've bought for the boy this year. Not that I think he ever comes in here, but just in case.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That is awesome Jill, well done.

Do you and your wife not go crazy and buy stupid expensive shit for each other?

I'll PM you what I've bought for the boy this year. Not that I think he ever comes in here, but just in case.

Not really, no. I'm super hard to buy anything for and the stuff I actually want is really expensive, I wouldn't expect her to be spending that much on me. We still get each other nice stuff, but after 12 years it becomes harder and harder! This year we're not doing it at all since there's stuff that each of us wants that is pretty much the same price, so we're just going to treat ourselves and skip the middleman :)

tbh I think I get her better stuff, but that's because there's so much stuff she would like. I bought her rollerskates a few years ago that got her started as a roller girl (Surrey Rollergirls reprazent! :p), and that pretty much changed her life. Me, I'm just into the shit I'm into. How hard would I be to buy a comic for? I've read em all. Music, I'm all over that shit. Games I get as I want. Tech is too expensive. Not really that fussed by clothes. That's the trouble with being into super niche stuff!

Jill Sandwich

We used to. One year she got a MacBook and me an iPhone! Oh what a difference two incomes made. Now we're separated and I start my Christmas day with a large glass of Sainsbury's Basics vodka and cold baked beans from a tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom