• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I hate Virgin broadband with a goddamn passion, ever since they promised to double the speeds the service has been terrible, 50% of the time my download speed is aroun 1mb (where it should be 30) and if i load a page with heavy gif material it just shuts off for a minute.

Boo i say, boo

Spookie

Will be heading on to Steam after that to support Mike and take part in that charity event. Just looking for an excuse to play my PC really.

Get a decent PC, steam and abuse big picture mode. Most, if not all, multiplatform games look superior on the PC at this point and have steamworks support meaning multiplayer is a piece of piss to organise.

Mikes charity thing is tonight? *boots up X-COM to prepare*

Mikeside

I'm working tonight until 11pm. Will be heading on to Steam after that to support Mike and take part in that charity event. Just looking for an excuse to play my PC really.

Good man - let me know if there's anything you wanna do multiplayer?

Get a decent PC, steam and abuse big picture mode. Most, if not all, multiplatform games look superior on the PC at this point and have steamworks support meaning multiplayer is a piece of piss to organise.

Mikes charity thing is tonight? *boots up X-COM to prepare*

It is indeed - are you going to wipe the floor with me again? Should be entertaining!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Going searching for a car today with a 2 grand madstack, I have my eye on a 1.2 corsa from a local garage.

I'm still overwhelmed by it all.

Ps what was your first car ?

Corsa is a nice little car.

First car I drove was a Morris Minor, first car I actually owned was a Renault 12, followed by a clapped-out Riley Elf (like a mini with a boot and a walnut dashboard and bugger all suspension - worked fine until a wheel fell off if, which was a little worrisome).

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Might as well do one of these...

Where do you live: Nottingham.
Where are you from: Maidstone, Kent
University: Nottingham
Sports of choice: Cricket
Current political party of choice: Labour.
Favourite TV show: Arrested Development, The Day Today/Brassye or Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Spookie

It is indeed - are you going to wipe the floor with me again? Should be entertaining!

We'll see, I've not played in about 5 days been investing time in moving up the MMR ranks in Dota 2 instead!

Good man - let me know if there's anything you wanna do multiplayer?

May I suggest: X-COM, Civ 5 (that'll kill a few hours), BF3, Dota 2 (it'll be a car crash, but it'll be amusing at least), Need for Speed, Borderlands 2? The turn based games will allow you to interact with the chat and the shooters/racers will allow them to play with you keeping the viewing figures up. :)

leadbelly

Banned
I hate Virgin broadband with a goddamn passion, ever since they promised to double the speeds the service has been terrible, 50% of the time my download speed is aroun 1mb (where it should be 30) and if i load a page with heavy gif material it just shuts off for a minute.

Boo i say, boo

Fortunately I have never had a problem with connection speeds. I do read about these sorts of issues all the time though.

Mikeside

We'll see, I've not played in about 5 days been investing time in moving up the MMR ranks in Dota 2 instead!

May I suggest: X-COM, Civ 5 (that'll kill a few hours), BF3, Dota 2 (it'll be a car crash, but it'll be amusing at least), Need for Speed? The turn based games will allow you to interact with the chat and the shooters/racers will allow them to play with you keeping the viewing figures up. :)

Probably not Civ 5, but I'd love to get a BF3 game going, some NFS could be fun, DOTA2 will be a delightful trainwreck. Somebody will need to babysit me on that.

I've promised to try a Mass Effect 2 speedrun, not sure how far I'll get, but am going to try it on easy, being a dick to everyone and doing no sidemissions. Think I'll get far?

Am also considering doing my playthrough of Walking Dead ep 4 as part of it - do you think people will wanna watch that or will it just be a spoiler fest that people would hate?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I've never had a problem with Virgin's speeds over the last three years (two different houses). Their service is awful, but the speed and reliability has always been good.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
basically i only every get the speeds im supposed to at fixed times during the day, generally around 5pm - 7pm then later past around 11pm. If i try to download too much at the same time it shuts off, comes back on in about 5minutes and sometimes, like this morning, my download speed is 0.054mb/s :/

A fucking joke

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
my connection fails all together if i have more than a few downloads on the go.. BT/SKY internet.

My new worrys include.

How will i cope if i stall my car at the MCDEE'S drive through

Fortunately I have never had a problem with connection speeds. I do read about these sorts of issues all the time though.

So I don't even know if this is true, but apparently the closer you live to the telephone exchange, the faster your broadband should be. Well I can see my local exchange from my kitchen window - right across the road from me. And while it's not labouringly slow, my speed has never been fast. So is this bullshit?

leadbelly

Banned
basically i only every get the speeds im supposed to at fixed times during the day, generally around 5pm - 7pm then later past around 11pm. If i try to download too much at the same time it shuts off, comes back on in about 5minutes and sometimes, like this morning, my download speed is 0.054mb/s :/

A fucking joke

Are you talking about traffic management or living in an area that is oversubscribed?

That sounds like you're being throttled to me.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...R_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2781

Mikeside

So I don't even know if this is true, but apparently the closer you live to the telephone exchange, the faster your broadband should be. Well I can see my local exchange from my kitchen window - right across the road from me. And while it's not labouringly slow, my speed has never been fast. So is this bullshit?

I'm no expert, but from what I understand there are other factors such as how many lines are sharing the exchange and it also varies from one exchange to the next on how much it can pump through it.

I can join for a game at the earlier time, Il be out earning a living after 2pm

Perfect, I'll aim for 10am then :)
Are you any good? I'm really not.

leadbelly

Banned

That is only really true for ADSL. With optical broadband, you shouldn't really have that problem.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'm no expert, but from what I understand there are other factors such as how many lines are sharing the exchange and it also varies from one exchange to the next on how much it can pump through it.

Perfect, I'll aim for 10am then :)
Are you any good? I'm really not.

Il be in the top 5,6 players for sure. I am a fucking gangster at BF3!

Spookie

Probably not Civ 5, but I'd love to get a BF3 game going, some NFS could be fun, DOTA2 will be a delightful trainwreck. Somebody will need to babysit me on that.

I've promised to try a Mass Effect 2 speedrun, not sure how far I'll get, but am going to try it on easy, being a dick to everyone and doing no sidemissions. Think I'll get far?

Am also considering doing my playthrough of Walking Dead ep 4 as part of it - do you think people will wanna watch that or will it just be a spoiler fest that people would hate?

Sure I'll update my BF3 now then! I think NFS Hot Pursuit is installed as well, hurrar! Yeah sure I can babysit you on Dota 2, will be err... Interesting. :F

Probably, I assume you could finish ME2 in 5-10 hours. Not sure about doing Walking Dead Episode 4 since half of the fun of the game is seeing the decisions you have made through out the season come to fruition but to be fair Episode 4 is fairly standalone. You could probably do it though. :)

my connection fails all together if i have more than a few downloads on the go.. BT/SKY internet.

Might be your router there, have you tried another? I'd recommend Be* as an ISP if you aren't in the area for fibre. I've been with them 3 years they are rock solid.

If I remember this correctly from my studies:

Virgin (cable): Bottlenecks at the box, more people connected the slower the speed.

ADSL: Suppose to have no bottlenecks but speed drops off the further the line is from the exchange. Quality of the copper going to your box also matters. The shitter it is the more noise you'll get on the line decreasing the sync speed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Not a fan of Sunhi's 30MB gifs then?

My weekend will probably consist of tidying up.

Mr Cola

Not a fan of Sunhi's 30MB gifs then?

My weekend will probably consist of tidying up.

One gif is usually fine, but any of the "post your favourite gif" threads just shut me down.

Also that throttling thing sounds about right, even the timings of it. Unlimited is just a word after all.

Mikeside

One gif is usually fine, but any of the "post your favourite gif" threads just shut me down.

Also that throttling thing sounds about right, even the timings of it. Unlimited is just a word after all.

subject to fair usage bullshit = throttling.

I'd happily pay an extra £20 a month for constant full speed with no throttling or limiting.

Why doesn't that exist?

GJS

You only have to download at full speed for like 10-15 minutes on the low/mid tier packages to trigger the traffic management. It was the bane of my life on 10 & 20Mb as it was 75% throttling.

It isn't so bad on 60Mb as it is only throttled to 30Mb.

The higher your package the less of an issue it becomes as downloads are still fast at 30Mb. Going from 10Mb to 2.5Mb was ridiculous though.

leadbelly

Banned

Well, it does based on the times it happens, and the fact you're downloading a lot around those times, but the speeds should still be faster than 1mb even if you were throttled, so...

It could just be the fact it is peak times, and a lot of people in your area are downloading shit.

I have ADSL

Yeah. That is one of problems with ADSL. The beauty of fibre optics is, it is capable giving you the full speed advertised regardless of where you live.

Mr Cola

Going to a close friends wedding tonight. You know your twenties have begun when people start getting married!

Wait till the babies come, then the inevitable "why cant you find happiness like we have?" questions ;D. By that point you realise you are almost 30

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have ADSL as well. We once got a letter about Internet usage but one angry phonecall later the throttle was removed.

Spookie

I'd happily pay an extra £20 a month for constant full speed with no throttling or limiting.

Why doesn't that exist?

It does, I'm on Be* and download about 200-500GBs a month for the last three years and they've never said anything to me. Hell I have a NAS box downstairs downloading constantly. :p

Mike; Me and Spookie will carry you in Dota, just don't get turned off if I bellow, shout and scream like a lunatic at you! Oh and I can't finish games LOLOLOLOLOL

Fixed for accuracy.

Mikeside

You only have to download at full speed for like 10-15 minutes on the low/mid tier packages to trigger the traffic management. It was the bane of my life on 10 & 20Mb as it was 75% throttling.

It isn't so bad on 60Mb as it is only throttled to 30Mb.

The higher your package the less of an issue it becomes as downloads are still fast at 30Mb. Going from 10Mb to 2.5Mb was ridiculous though.

Yeah, I'm on 60 which drops to 30, but it's the principle of the thing!

It does, I'm on Be* and download about 200-500GBs a month for the last three years and they've never said anything to me. Hell I have a NAS box downstairs downloading constantly. :p

Might have to look into that!

Reliable?
Speeds?

SKINNER!

Banned
Been with Virgin Media for about 2 weeks now and the speed is incredible compared to the pathetic speed I got when I was with O2.

Wait till the babies come, then the inevitable "why cant you find happiness like we have?" questions ;D. By that point you realise you are almost 30

i9T3yXEJ9KplH.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

lol almost 30. My mates are all just hitting 30 now and there are very few babies on the horizon and I'm the only married person. Most of my friends are saying they don't want kids which I find kinda weird. Even though the idea of having them now terrifies me deeply.

Mikeside

lol almost 30. My mates are all just hitting 30 now and there are very few babies on the horizon and I'm the only married person. Most of my friends are saying they don't want kids which I find kinda weird. Even though the idea of having them now terrifies me deeply.

I'm 25, but most of my friends are in the 27-29 bracket, with one having just turned 30.

Only 1 kid in the group (she'd be the mascot if they hadn't moved to High Wycombe :()

I'm pretty sure there are gonna be a few kids in the next couple of years, as everyone is either just married or about to get married & a few couples are definitely looking like they're readying themselves for kids.

The idea still terrifies me too - I really want a couple of kids, but I'd like to be NOT living month to month and obviously have moved out again & be living somewhere with a bit of breathing room first.

It doesn't help that both myself and my OH are terrible with money, so we're having to try and be a bit more responsible with our cash!

leadbelly

Banned
You know, Virgin Media's network is not completely optical. It uses a mix of coax and optical fibre. It is mainly fibre-to-the-cabinet and the rest is coax. It is part of the reason why you are throttled and upload speeds are low in comparison to download.

All my friends in Wales have babies. All my friends in London don't. I think that says a lot. I think 30's is a good age to have kids. We're going to start trying the end of next year, so I'll be 32.

Mr Cola

im 26 and id say around 80% of my friends from University are now married, everyone but one brother of my current generation in my family is married and the questions are always a complete pain to get. Simply put, i dont like marriage, i dont like children and I consider both incompatible with how I experience the world. This has earned me the reputation for being a curmudgeon, i like that.

Thankfully I and my friends are still a few years out of the baby stage yet. Saying that at least a fifth of my year from highschool have had children or are expecting at this point...

Probably the first Dundee user that stepped foot in here. Second Eastside Scotsman after Seanbob though. Man, I haven't been to Dundee in aaaaages. Last place I remember going to was this Indian restaurant not far from the tay bridge called Tazah (me and the guys called it Tazer) and then we walked around looking for a shop and accidentally came across the Realtime Worlds offices... which aren't there anymore...

Yeah, I live about 5 minutes from where they were... one of my mates used to live next to the office of a wee iOS/Android developer whose name escapes me.

Yeah, Dundee is certainly a boring city along with Aberdeen. Hey, not to say that Glasgow is any better but at least its somewhat entertaining considering how the people behave here.

I'd disagree with you, but I generally stick to the student-y part of the city, which you can tell you're leaving when the organic fairtrade teahouses start to be replaced by bookies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
im 26 and id say around 80% of my friends from University are now married, everyone but one brother of my current generation in my family is married and the questions are always a complete pain to get. Simply put, i dont like marriage, i dont like children and I consider both incompatible with how I experience the world. This has earned me the reputation for being a curmudgeon, i like that.

lol don't like marriage. Do you like... love?? Marriage is just a big party you throw and everyone is nice to you. tbh I wasn't fussed at all about getting married to start with - I come from a singleparent family and didn't have many positive married role models growing up, so it wasn't something in my wheelhouse at all. That and my missus was wedding-crazy so I got really anti it for a little while. But, boring repetitive buildup aside, I really love being married now. I like that my wife has my name, I like the ring, I like all the status and feeling of being a bit more grownup that comes with it.

Basically what I'm saying it, you'll meet someone and they'll make you do it, but when you do you might find you like it.

But you know, there's nothing wrong with being a lifelong single. Being in a couple just makes it easier to do the big stuff like have a house and stuff.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
At 36, my friends' babies are all toddlers to tweens now, which is weird watching their screambags turn into little people. Some have got married, some are happily co-habiting without going through that expensive rigmarole, some are still single, as am I (separated from Mrs Sandwich but we're still mates). When I was younger we all thought life was school>college>uni>job>marriage>kids>mid life crisis>death. It's been a mixed bag in the end and there is certainly no template to how your life should pan out. Just enjoy it!

Basically what I'm saying it, you'll meet someone and they'll make you do it, but when you do you might find you like it.

I totally disagree with people doing this. I would never make my boyfriend do something if he really didn't want to. Which is why I've put no pressure on him about proposing to me.

Which is why after 6 years together I still have no ring :(

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Being in a couple just makes it easier to do the big stuff like have a house and stuff.

Oh so much this, I'm just starting to look to buy a place after years of renting, and the amount I can get as a sole buyer is less than half I could when I was married. Still, I've seen some nice places (and some right shitholes) that I can get for the money.

3Sixty

Going to go all girl-age for a minute.

Met this girl a couple of weeks ago, she's pretty much perfect, taking her out Wednesday for our proper "First date"

Watch me fuck this up.

Mikeside

Going to go all girl-age for a minute.

Met this girl a couple of weeks ago, she's pretty much perfect, taking her out Wednesday for our proper "First date"

Watch me fuck this up.

Just be as relaxed as possible and you'll do fine.
On my first date with Suz, she threw up all over my work car, I got incredibly stoned and we ate pizza. Was still a great date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom