• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
CHEEZMO™;46047410 said:
Christ the UK thread on Something Awful is depressing.
So's Something Awful in general. It was the internet hotspot circa 2004 but these days it's just where trolls go to die. "That place that was famous once". The editorial content hasn't been decent in years, either.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Are they not a bunch of mates like here?

Even more so. This one guy has spent the last few months basically blogging about the nightmare he's having with work programmes, Job Centre, benefits and all that shit. He just got sanctioned because he missed something (through the fault of his work programme scheme) and because the sanction length has increased thanks to our friends in Her Majesty's Government he's gonna have no money for the rest of the month and people are offering to pay for food so he doesn't starve.

The thread is basically a cross between this one and UK PoliGAF. This country is so fucked.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
CHEEZMO™;46049425 said:
Even more so. This one guy has spent the last few months basically blogging about the nightmare he's having with work programmes, Job Centre, benefits and all that shit. He just got sanctioned because he missed something (through the fault of his work programme scheme) and because the sanction length has increased thanks to our friends in Her Majesty's Government he's gonna have no money for the rest of the month and people are offering to pay for food so he doesn't starve.

The thread is basically a cross between this one and UK PoliGAF. This country is so fucked.

More than you cunts would do if someone was out of work in this thread!

But really we should all donate money to a paypal account (that a trusty member like dave could handle) for an instant cash inject to someone in the thread who needs it at the time.

We all fail a MOT test every now and then right!

SKINNER!

Banned
Thank goodness for good people who help others out. Things are messed up now more than ever.

Doesn't the SA look similar to NeoGAF? My old work colleague used to post on that forum and initially, from a distance, I thought he was posting on gaf. He'd always check out the threads that had recipes of junk food like KFC and Papa Johns pizza that other users reverse engineered (cooked? recipe'd?). I hear they got a weird registration process too.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
If any of you guys have an SA account, here's an example: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520451&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=73

If not, some of the stuff on that page.

People should do more to help elderly neighbours and ease the pressure on care homes, the care minister has said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20883476
When the police retrieved my mum's Alzheimer suffering neighbour after she went wandering they couldn't leave her alone until medical help arrived so they tried to guilt my mum into looking after her for a few hours. She probably would have done it but this was about a week after my mum's own elderly demented mother died. She still felt terribly guilty about telling the cops no. Thanks police.
You know the few times I've ever had to look after someone who was too sick to take care of themselves it was the most miserable moments of my life and I was terrified that at any moment I could be doing completely the wrong thing and doing something that could cause more harm than good because I had fuck all training. If I had to do that every day on top of my full time work I'm fairly sure I'd go mad and relive the worst days of my depression.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20877397
Reflects exactly what my sister (English teacher) told me over Christmas. There are loads of teachers at risk of burning out, not because they can't handle the kids but because of the increased pressure to "compete" and run schools like a business. Labour were just as bad on a lot of this stuff but it's really ramped up over the past couple of years.
My old dear, a teacher with 35 years experience, OFTSED outstanding every time, has just been forced out of her job as deputy head of a small CEVA school by one of these new breed head teachers - the champions of business going into teaching. Basically, this head is a failed financial services worker, bringing the same dogmatic approach to procedure and process present in that industry into a lively, creative primary school. He, and the silly rules and targets set by the government, have killed the school. My ma isn't the only one to have left - out of a staff of 10, 8 have now quit. Fuck this Governments education policy.
Yeah my dad has been harassed so terribly by the new administration of the college he works at that he's ended up on leave from stress, they actually invited him in for an interview and tried to trick him into "admitting" that he was not actually stressed,t he horrific bastards.

It's dumb as shit because he could have retired two years ago but he has stayed on because he loves teaching and so he can basically leave any time and they don't have any replacements lined up. Even more dumb is that no one in his class failed last year, and they've still been giving him shit about "not meeting standard procedure"

EDIT: Also to add more hilarity to the mix, the college's new principle is a failed hair-dresser.

That's just 1 page.

And oh, lost your job? How about you go on this programme that is literally worse at getting people a job than no programme at all. Hey, maybe you could be forced into working for free several miles away (gotta pay for transport by yourself hope you dont mind the extortionate rail fairs isn't privatisation great?!?!) or do an "apprenticeship" (which aren't ways for companies to fire workers and then immediately put their job up for some poor sap to beg for it at less than three quid an hour oh no that would never happen) and if you can't do this or miss an appointment for whatever reason that certainly has nothing to do with these scams private work programmes being run like shit by untrained, apathetic window lickers who give you dirty looks then I guess you're nothing but a dirty scrounger buying 200" plasma screens with that 50 quid a week you're nicking from THE TAXPAYUHS! Best not starve whilst you wait. Hey you could always rely on private food banks or something I guess. Wouldn't want people to become dependent on government handouts!

Hey you know what we should complain about? How benefits have effectively risen with inflation that wont help the dole wallah scum scounger spongin poor scum underclass get off their feet. They should be punished instead oh what's that you now lost your house? Too bad oh now you're shoplifting guess when you get nicked you should pay for your stay in the cells.

Dismantle the welfare state and fuck the poor so bad the have to go begging to family and friends to avoid fucking starving. There's your BIG SOCIETY you neoliberal cunts I hope your houses fucking burn down

f0rk

CHEEZMO™;46051953 said:
I'm not wallowing, I'm just pissed off and ranting.

I don't have a SA account but from what you posted it sounds like that's what they're doing over there

CHEEZMO™;46050978 said:
And oh, lost your job? How about you go on this programme that is literally worse at getting people a job than no programme at all. Hey, maybe you could be forced into working for free several miles away (gotta pay for transport by yourself hope you dont mind the extortionate rail fairs isn't privatisation great?!?!) or do an "apprenticeship" (which aren't ways for companies to fire workers and then immediately put their job up for some poor sap to beg for it at less than three quid an hour oh no that would never happen) and if you can't do this or miss an appointment for whatever reason that certainly has nothing to do with these scams private work programmes being run like shit by untrained, apathetic window lickers who give you dirty looks then I guess you're nothing but a dirty scrounger buying 200" plasma screens with that 50 quid a week you're nicking from THE TAXPAYUHS! Best not starve whilst you wait. Hey you could always rely on private food banks or something I guess. Wouldn't want people to become dependent on government handouts!

Hey you know what we should complain about? How benefits have effectively risen with inflation that wont help the dole wallah scum scounger spongin poor scum underclass get off their feet. They should be punished instead oh what's that you now lost your house? Too bad oh now you're shoplifting guess when you get nicked you should pay for your stay in the cells.

Dismantle the welfare state and fuck the poor so bad the have to go begging to family and friends to avoid fucking starving. There's your BIG SOCIETY you neoliberal cunts I hope your houses fucking burn down

I still can't believe the explosion in the number of food banks in recent years. Big increase around here in the north west.

Holy shit Big Bo is so fucking terrible at staying out of the way of my fire. But I can't not love him.

This plot is insane already.
THE GENERAL IS A ROBUT.
GOTY.

Lirlond

Honestly Cheez my cousin was in the same state a while ago. Does the ILA exist in England? Try getting a security badge. If you can handle sitting at a desk for 12 hours overnight then it's good pay for very little work.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Queen Live in Budapest on BBC4

Admire Freddies mustache

On the subject of OFSTED, I have a teacher friend who says they're the most dogmatic, procedure-based guys going. The school she teaches at is absolutely excellent, gets some of the best grades in the country outside of private schools - and yet OFSTED recommended they get some advice from another (much worse in terms of grades) school about how to, basically, structure their lessons. The problem is that so many of the techniques suggested by OFSTED simply aren't universally applicable - but if you don't apply them, they mark you down.

Mikeside

CHEEZMO™;46065087 said:
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?

Careful, that joke was on Big Bang Theory.
Most of GAF will masturbate furiously whilst judging you for liking what they don't like.

Suairyu

Banned
Big Bang Theory is everything wrong about American sitcoms rolled into one show. It makes Mrs Browns Boys look like comedy gold.

SKINNER!

Banned
Family Guy, Friends, Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory makes shows like Two Pints of Lager and the Vicar of Dibley look so smart and sophisticated.

Big Bang Theory is everything wrong about American sitcoms rolled into one show. It makes Mrs Browns Boys look like comedy gold.

I like Family Guy, but it's not a sitcom so my rule stands. And Ted was the funniest movie in years.

Truth%20bomb%20lt%20linen_preview.JPG

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Indeed, fuck Big Bang theory. I have so many people telling me I'd love it, and I honestly feel a little bit offended when people do because it means they have no idea what I actually like.

IMO the best US sitcoms currently running are Community and Parks and Rec. Currently super addicted to Parks and Rec, it's so charming and has the most well defined comic characters on TV.

SKINNER!

Banned
Never watched Ted and I don't see myself ever doing so in the near future. Family Guy/American Dad/Cleveland show is just too dimwitted and I just don't like Seth Macfarlene at all.

And someone on GAF described it so perfectly as saying that Big Bang Theory is no different to a blackface show.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm not gonna get into the tv show debate, but i will agree that TBBT is FUCKING SHIT.

Anyway, student loan just came it. I HAVE POSITIVE MONEY AGAIN!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Family Guy, Friends, Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory makes shows like Two Pints of Lager and the Vicar of Dibley look so smart and sophisticated.

What's wrong with Vicar of Dibley?
As for Family guy, I like to think of it as disposable TV. You get a cheap laugh from it but I don't expect anything more.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I like Big Bang Theory, in an uncomfortable sort of way, because it reminds me what an insufferable nitpicking know-it-all I used to be.

At least I hope "used to be".

SKINNER!

Banned
What's wrong with Vicar of Dibley?

Always saw it as a show that tried too hard and just spouted cheap laughs. I'd still choose it over Two Pints of Lager if I was forced to make a choice at gunpoint. I recall this one time during a week long high school trip to St.Andrews, we were all in this "common room" having dinner and the teachers gave the students the choice to watch whatever channel they wanted. Some imbecile stated that "Two Pints" was on and the whole place erupted in a cheer and it was left on. God, it was painful to watch.

EDIT: yeah, I was one of "those" disgruntled, miserable outcasts at HS. I blame my parents.

I dunno, Mrs Brown's Boys is pretty fucking terrible...

BBT is a guilty pleasure, the Sheldon character is too gloriously cuntish for me to hate it

Spot the guy whose only experience of Family Guy is that South Park episode.

A lot of the more recent episodes are that lazy.

Or maybe it's just the actual core plots are so shit the cutaways stand out more. I dunno. Brian/Stewie episodes remain the high point, at least. Back to the Pilot was a fantastic episode.

Mr. Sam

Some Family Guy episodes are seriously groan worthy, particularly with gags which last about five minutes, but it's started to return to form in more recent series. It doesn't hurt as much to watch as, say, new Simpsons or Futurama.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Some Family Guy episodes are seriously groan worthy, particularly with gags which last about five minutes, but it's started to return to form in more recent series. It doesn't hurt as much to watch as, say, new Simpsons or Futurama.

Family Guy is terrible when it tries to be serious or sincere.

SKINNER!

Banned
Family Guy is terrible when it tries to be serious or sincere.

Yup. People complain that South Park is too preachy but Family Guy (especially Macfarlane's canine mouthpiece) is FAR worse. Not only that, it sometimes comes off as personal. Highest point of Family Guy is Quagmire in my opinion. He's the only character that produces the laughs in that show...in my opinion of course.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh man I got a wee bottle of JD to celebrate student loan day. DRUNK AS.

Also I like Family Guy, South Park, Friends.

Why is it that Friends is like the most successful sitcom ever but is the most hated on the internet in places like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom