• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

afoni

Banned
Mike, that was beautiful. I laughed and people on the train looked at me. It doesn't matter though, because it was worth the looks.

NinjaBoiX

Sounds like a wicked time Mike! Glad you enjoyed yourself buddy.

You're absolutely right. Nirvana did push grunge into the mainstream. Nevermind was huge. No doubt about that. But - in my opinion - Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and some Soundgarden are musically more interesting (to me) than Nirvana. But those two tracks I posted earlier, good stuff.

In other news, I now know how donkey_show feels when he's counting down the hours at work to see Notts lass. Meeting up with that girl I met the other week again and it's only 11am :/ fffffuuu!

EDIT: Reading through Mike's adventure in Amsterdam atm.
Haha, those feels of anxious excitement, so good! I love butterflies when it's for a lady, instead of some bullshit like an exam or something.

Enjoy yourself Shorty.

My favourite Nirvana track as we're on the subject:

School

Chinner

Banned
hey guys so now that i'm back in england i am now unemployed and i am currently looking at jobs.

can anyone recommendation any potential careers that i may do for the rest of my life?

cheers,

chinner.

Rich!

hey guys so now that i'm back in england i am now unemployed and i am currently looking at jobs.

can anyone recommendation any potential careers that i may do for the rest of my life?

cheers,

chinner.

I hear there's an unlimited supply of bread at the local pond.

cheers,

chinner.

You're an immigrant now and so that thread in OT will tell you that you'll get a free house and loads of furniture from the government. Happy days innit?

SmokyDave

cheers,

chinner.
Pharmacist, customs officer, or temporary part-time libraries North-West inter-library loan business unit administration assistant.

The obvious 3 choices.

Great mushroom story Mike, and you've now put me off ever wanting to do them, so thanks!

shorty, dem feels bro, dem feels. When you seeing her, tonight?

Chinner, do not work in accounts, call centre or retail. That's the only advice I can give.

SKINNER!

Banned
shorty, dem feels bro, dem feels. When you seeing her, tonight?

CnOilMp.gif

Yeah 7pm, we're going for some food in the city centre and then drinks at a bar close by. Not...even...nervous.

Holy shit Mike. Sounds like an awesome time! xD

In other news, I now know how donkey_show feels when he's counting down the hours at work to see Notts lass. Meeting up with that girl I met the other week again and it's only 11am :/ fffffuuu!

EDIT: Reading through Mike's adventure in Amsterdam atm.
Nice one! Know dem feels :D

Chinner! Make and sell Gunpla :O

NinjaBoiX

Chinner, I'm confused regarding your quandary; aren't you training to be a teacher/teaching assistant or something? Why are you looking for other work?

I assumed you were doing a placement in Thailand in order to return to the UK with some experience.

Are you dropping the teaching thing now?

I work in a call centre dealing with accounts and finance.

:(

I loved working at MFI call centre! It was basically a youth club with a wage; everyone was around my age, the crack was mint, and there was a healthy percentage of attractive ladies to flirt with.

Some of the best years of my employed life purely from the social aspect. But yeah, the work was menial and soul-crushing.

I'm with Musha Shorty, I expect a detailed report on tonight's happenings tomorrow! Or tonight if it doesn't go quitethat well. ;)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You're absolutely right. Nirvana did push grunge into the mainstream. Nevermind was huge. No doubt about that. But - in my opinion - Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and some Soundgarden are musically more interesting (to me) than Nirvana. But those two tracks I posted earlier, good stuff.

Controversial opinion to follow. Gird your flame walls:

Contrary to just about any kind of consensus or accepted thinking, I never thought those bands were all that 'grunge'. They share some sonic similarities (dat alliteration) between themselves, but very little (if any) with Nirvana, the supposed breakout 'grunge' band. Thinking about it, maybe it's Nirvana that isn't the 'grunge' band...?

Whichever way you cut the cheese cake, PJ, AiC and SG had (for me) too many of the old hair metal/80s rock tropes hanging over their music that it left a bad taste in my lugs. What I loved about Nirvana at the time was how they blew all that shit away.

This and this and this are my favourites from the Nirvana back cat.

My favourite Nirvana track as we're on the subject:

School

Choon.

SmokyDave

Wow that immigration thread is a goldmine
Seems that you have two choices. Either all immigrants are evil welfare leeches, or anything short of open borders is racism.

Perhaps if the topic was about assimilation, things might be a bit more sensible.

...nah, they wouldn't.

Darren870

I'm not even allowed to claim benefits or anything besides NHS. I thought most immigrants were the same. Maybe EU countries can?

Chinner

Banned
What skillsets do you have?
well, this is awkward.

Pharmacist, customs officer, or temporary part-time libraries North-West inter-library loan business unit administration assistant.

The obvious 3 choices.

the most obvious is to become a journalist for the daily mail.

IT/Computing. Take up programming or networking.

won't that require going to uni again? im getting on in life bro, thats a young mans game.
Chinner, do not work in accounts, call centre or retail. That's the only advice I can give.
yeah i know, there are quite a lot of call centre jobs around here. it might have to be a temporary solution just to get some full time cash in.

You should work with kids Chinner, I have a good feeling about it.
chinner will fix it.

Chinner, I'm confused regarding your quandary; aren't you training to be a teacher/teaching assistant or something? Why are you looking for other work?

I assumed you were doing a placement in Thailand in order to return to the UK with some experience.
efl teaching was a solution to travelling and cv building at the same time. for all intents and purposes it was meant to last a bit longer than it has, but thats just the way the deck has been dealt. teaching isn't really my most desired job though.

8bit

Knows the Score
Some of the more frothing at the mouth posters there have always been somewhat forthright in their views in past threads, usually best to avoid their balderdashery.

@Chinner, what skills and/or qualifications do you have?

Nevermind, just noticed you posted.

won't that require going to uni again? im getting on in life bro, thats a young mans game.

Only if you want a qualification, an alternative would be to teach yourself using http://www.codecademy.com/ or similar.

Darren870

efl teaching was a solution to travelling and cv building at the same time. for all intents and purposes it was meant to last a bit longer than it has, but thats just the way the deck has been dealt. teaching isn't really my most desired job though.

Was this by choice? That it lasted so shortly?

My favourite post from that thread:

"Guess they should have got off their lazy asses and developed themselves to point where they couldn't be conquered so easily.

..they'd had just as long as Europeans to do it
."

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Seems that you have two choices. Either all immigrants are evil welfare leeches, or anything short of open borders is racism.

Perhaps if the topic was about assimilation, things might be a bit more sensible.

...nah, they wouldn't.

Standard immigration thread then.

Symphonia

Banned
I feel for you bro.

4 years in a call centre was the worst time in my life.
Nah, I love working in a call centre. I used to work in one for Virgin Media, that was alright, but the hours sucked. I'm currently working in a call centre for a financial company as a team leader and I love it. The hours are ideal for me and the people I work with - and the people who work for me - are a great laugh, plenty of banter.

Good news and fucking infuriating news. Good: I now have a place to live for the year. Fucking infuriating: job I'm waiting to hear back from is making me wait until Wednesday to find out whether I've got it or not. Useless!

SKINNER!

Banned
Awesome, don't be too nervous, just relax and be yourself. And we expect a detailed report tomorrow :D

Haha, those feels of anxious excitement, so good! I love butterflies when it's for a lady, instead of some bullshit like an exam or something.

Enjoy yourself Shorty.

I'm with Musha Shorty, I expect a detailed report on tonight's happenings tomorrow! Or tonight if it doesn't go quitethat well. ;)

Thanks guys :) Got it all cool, calm and collected. My only concern is weather being all wet and cold but apart from that I think it'll all go smoothly. MrBlonde.gif

Dat anti hotlinking image.

Nowhere near as clever as the goatse hotlinking images that were circulating around 8 years ago. The number of unexpected bans that occured...funny times.

uugh, wtf. Gross!

SKINNER!

Banned
Wait, bandwith thieving is bannable?!

Nah, in those times you'd have folk hotlinking gifs from other websites and whenever it was posted on a message board the innocent image would automatically get swapped with something disgusting (usually goatse) and - of course - the mods would see it and think the user was breaking the TOS (posting NSFW images) so they'd get banned for it.

Moral to the story? imgur/minus that shit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think saying *vomits everywhere* is warning enough!

But yeah I'll fix it. And fuck that guy.

My bad, I thought it was because of the exploding head gif XD

To the latter part, abso-fucking-lutely. That guy is a walking advert for the death penalty... if the death penalty involved being fucked in stab wounds by a pack of wild dogs for all eternity.

Nah, in those times you'd have folk hotlinking gifs from other websites and whenever it was posted on a message board the innocent image would get swapped with something disgusting (usually goatse) and - of course - the mods would see it and think the user was breaking the TOS (posting NSFW images) so they'd get banned for it.

Oh, right. That's pretty funny. I'm not what you would call internet savvy.

Moral to the story? imgur/minus that shit.

Lesson learned.

No, but posting goatse is. I'm surprised 4chan has such a tame hotlinking image.

I didn't even know it was from there. Fuck you, Google.

Rich!

Just so britgaf know, I've got a GBA SP 101 backlit model and a GB Micro for sale in the gaming community buy/sell/trade thread. Seems like it's pretty USA centric in that thread, unfortunately.

Volotaire

Just so britgaf know, I've got a GBA SP 101 backlit model and a GB Micro for sale in the gaming community buy/sell/trade thread. Seems like it's pretty USA centric in that thread, unfortunately.

Think you're charging way too much, in comparison to ebay prices. Don't mean any bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom