• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if we're trying to balance things out

0T5B0Sw.jpg

SteveWD40

Favourite Englishman:

I don't give a fuck how is career is now, I doubt he does either (not known for really wanting fame, quit Chancer at it's height...) but anyone that can call Julia Roberts a "fucked up Slag" with such conviction deserves a knighthood.

Edit: also, he made Children of Men one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all time, and he was amazing in indie flick Trust recently.

Rich!

I just picked up a BBC Micro. For free!

These massive floppy discs...oh god, the memories of primary school are all flooding back

Edit: I have grannys garden. Anyone remember that?

Rich!

This BBC Micro looks like shit through a BNC adapter on my 1080p TV. Oh man.

I've just been terrified by the witch in grannys garden. Fuuuuuuck

I just picked up a BBC Micro. For free!

These massive floppy discs...oh god, the memories of primary school are all flooding back

Edit: I have grannys garden. Anyone remember that?

If it is what I think it is.... hang on

*runs to google*

Holy shit it is! I remember playing this in infant school when I was 5 or 6, didn't remember what it was called till now. Ah memories!

So how did you get hold of that for free?

Rich!

If it is what I think it is.... hang on

*runs to google*

Holy shit it is! I remember playing this in infant school when I was 5 or 6, didn't remember what it was called till now. Ah memories!

So how did you get hold of that for free?

Drove to my old school and asked them. Lo and behold, they still had one in storage.

I can't believe it hadn't been thrown away. This is probably the same one I was using twenty years ago!

I also used to play Granny's Garden on Windows 95, but it was nowhere near as terrifying as this one.

We also used to have a cool programmable robot (the teachers called it a turtle). We had to type in commands into the micro, and it would then drive around on the floor. Like, we were essentially learning programming at age 5. Amazing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well the purpose of the Micro was to get kids into coding. Then they said sod it, scrapped the Micro programme and I grew up in the generation that missed out. Now they're probably realising that teaching code to kids is a good thing and are likely doing it again.

8bit

Knows the Score
Drove to my old school and asked them. Lo and behold, they still had one in storage.

I can't believe it hadn't been thrown away. This is probably the same one I was using twenty years ago!

I also used to play Granny's Garden on Windows 95, but it was nowhere near as terrifying as this one.

We also used to have a cool programmable robot (the teachers called it a turtle). We had to type in commands into the micro, and it would then drive around on the floor. Like, we were essentially learning programming at age 5. Amazing.

The language was Logo.

Jordan

Well the purpose of the Micro was to get kids into coding. Then they said sod it, scrapped the Micro programme and I grew up in the generation that missed out. Now they're probably realising that teaching code to kids is a good thing and are likely doing it again.

They now use a program called Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/) to try and teach kids basic coding. So they've skipped a few generations and only just decided to bring it back into life.

Rich!

Yeah, I know my old secondary school have Raspberry Pi's and coding in their IT lessons now apparently.

Our IT in secondary school was essentially typing documents in word and making simple spreadsheets, from year 7 right up to the end of GCSE. What an absolute fucking terrible waste of time.

Coding or HTML would have been far better. But no, apparently we were all training as Secretaries.

SteveWD40

We started on micros at High School, then they moved us to what I think were macs, would have been about 91 and they didn't upgrade them when I was there. We just used to draw stuff on paint...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
IT was so "important" at my secondary school that in the first year we only did it for half the year, the other half was DT. The biggest problem I found with IT is that it punished you for learning more. If you answered a question with an answer not in the answer booklet you lost marks even if it was right. :/

RPG Maker 2k is what taught me the basics, but I was still pretty clueless when I got into university.

Rich!

We started on micros at High School, then they moved us to what I think were macs, would have been about 91 and they didn't upgrade them when I was there. We just used to draw stuff on paint...

We never had macs until secondary, but in junior school we had Acorn computers! They had a kickass paint app.

NinjaBoiX

I spent my IT lessons playing Triad Bloodbath (I think that's what it was called), a rudimentary but incredibly gory (and therefore incredibly cool) point and clock lightgun shooter.

Aah, good times.

I also remember when they tried to take Snake off the computers so everyone would stop playing it, but they only removed the shortcut.

:/

I actually remember feeling insulted.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is what people played during out IT classes:
http://oneslime.net/

Oh and when "games" became a filtered word on the web (and ruined a project I was working on since I couldn't even research games) people changed the IE shortcut to point towards Hearts and played it over the network.

8bit

Knows the Score
I spent my IT lessons playing Triad Bloodbath (I think that's what it was called), a rudimentary but incredibly gory (and therefore incredibly cool) point and clock lightgun shooter.

Aah, good times.

I also remember when they tried to take Snake off the computers so everyone would stop playing it, but they only removed the shortcut.

:/

I actually remember feeling insulted.

Rise of the Triad?

rott6.png

Symphonia

Banned
Was the BBC Micro the computer that had a really basic coding program where you had to move a turtle by typing in the right commands?

Rich!

Back in sixth form, me and my mates installed Return to Castle Wolfenstein onto the school's media server, so we could access it from any computer in the school and even play via LAN.

That was awesome. We also used to play Smash Bros Melee projected onto the cinema screen in the arts theatre. Such good times.

And yeah, LOGO is definitely what I remember.

Volotaire

Back in sixth form, me and my mates installed Return to Castle Wolfenstein onto the school's media server, so we could access it from any computer in the school and even play via LAN.

That was awesome. We also used to play Smash Bros Melee projected onto the cinema screen in the arts theatre. Such good times.

And yeah, LOGO is definitely what I remember.

I remember a year ago in school, kids used to put minecraft on their USB's and play it at school. lol.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
The school I went to now has laptops and iPads for each student. I had to make do with shitty XP and IE6 and had to rely on proxies that lasted a few hours before they got blocked.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
We never had macs until secondary, but in junior school we had Acorn computers! They had a kickass paint app.

ha yeah we had Acorns too, even at secondary. I remember at secondary I was one of only about 4 nerdy kids in my year and we would constantly harrass the head of technology about the computers, we hated them.

In primary school we had a 'good' acorn computer and it had a 3d polygonal flight sim on it that blew my mind. This must have been in 1990 or so, and it was super advanced, I think I was the only kid who could figure out how to take off. This was also the first computer I ever saw with a screen saver that was one of those screen melty ones. My friend told me the computer had a virus and I believed him.

Rich!

ha yeah we had Acorns too, even at secondary. I remember at secondary I was one of only about 4 nerdy kids in my year and we would constantly harrass the head of technology about the computers, we hated them.

In primary school we had a 'good' acorn computer and it had a 3d polygonal flight sim on it that blew my mind. This must have been in 1990 or so, and it was super advanced, I think I was the only kid who could figure out how to take off. This was also the first computer I ever saw with a screen saver that was one of those screen melty ones. My friend told me the computer had a virus and I believed him.

Holy fucking shit. We had that flight sim on the acorn too. And yeah, only one of us could take off.

edit: it was called Chocks Away! Oh my god, the memories!!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Damn. This packet of salt n vinegar McCoys was strong in flavour. Still feeling the effects on my tongue!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I'm reading the rules, and...

I think I actually qualify for Polish citizenship. Meaning, EU passport. :eek: :eek: I need to go back to NY early and and gather some documents.

Lirlond

Listening to some classics from my youth. Got a big playlist full of Sum 41, AFI, Blink 182, New found Glory, Jimmy eat world, Weezer. I'm 13 again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom