• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
I'm sorry bro

i used to think that, but being here you realise it's a big area, and theres a lot of nice towns and villages

green scar said:
ah. I guess every ISP's a crap shoot if you're in a village, so I couldn't really say one way or the other about Sky.

I think they're pretty good when it comes to being haggled, though.
\

yeah here's the gamble - bt is cheaper, but sky is promising potentially higher speeds. whether or not they deliver i don't know but it could be worth the gamble.

Rich!

how is sky regarded as a broadband supplier? seem to be affordable, and cant you haggle them down on the phone?

I have Sky:

2953669352.png

No throttling, and unlimited usage. It's great. Got a good deal with the broadband and the Sky entertainment package plus free calls, for £50 a month. Plus, when I recommended my parents to join, I got given £50 by Sky.

BT were horrendous, and we had to take them to a small claims court by comparison. We moved house and asked them to come and move our service to the new location. On no less than five occasions, they sent their team to OUR OLD ADDRESS, no matter how many times we told them otherwise. They then charged us almost £500 for the costs.

We threatened to take them to court, and sought legal advice from my dad (not a lawyer, but has gotten suing people down to a fucking work of art). They were forced to give in and cut our connection, give us expenses and a refund because of one thing - they had my surname wrong on all of the documentation, likely from the call centre in India misunderstanding my dorset accent.

My dad explained to them that this person they were threatening did not exist, and if they did go to court they would be laughed out of it. If it wasn't for that small mistake, we would have been locked in a 60 MONTH CONTRACT.

DO NOT GO WITH BT. EVER. Watch the "don't get done get dom" episode from friday on iplayer - the entire thing is about how BT are a bunch of devious lying cunts.

Rich!

...Well, guess that answers that!

As a rule, every single person who signs up with BT for broadband is locked into a 60 month contract, as the Don't Get Done, Get Dom show proved on Friday.

Don't like it? Being charged hundreds for shoddy work? Low speeds? Throttling? Tough fucking luck. You're screwed.

They may well have changed it since the broadcast, but I wouldn't ever deal with them ever again. Nothing but hassle and at least Sky and Virgin have their Customer Service in the bloody UK. My parents in law have BT, and they're locked into their contract for another year. They're paying £20 a month, and their speed is 1.5mb/s, limited to 500mb a month. BT won't change it.

2953678647.png

I'm using a shitty powerline thing and it's halving my speed. If I was downstairs, I get 120MBbps

If I had Virgin, I could get the same speed too. But meh, considering I can download games from Steam at 4mb/s, I'm not fussed whatsoever.

On a separate note, I really need to get my dad to teach me the ways of the lawsuit. He's just been given a £2,000 settlement from his Peugeot dealership for a new driveway for his house, and he represented himself (car went in for MOT, engine leaked, ruined a bit of tarmac).

He's also managed to get £10,000 from South West Trains (not taking adequate care of employees), a good £8,000 from the council (didn't remove a barrier during night, and he rode into it full speed on his bike), and so on

damn he's good

As a rule, every single person who signs up with BT for broadband is locked into a 60 month contract, as the Don't Get Done, Get Dom show proved on Friday.

Don't like it? Being charged hundreds for shoddy work? Low speeds? Throttling? Tough fucking luck. You're screwed.

They may well have changed it since the broadcast, but I wouldn't ever deal with them ever again. Nothing but hassle and at least Sky and Virgin have their Customer Service in the bloody UK.

It's certainly not the first bad thing I've heard about BT. Besides, I was always suspicious of their adverts being shitty mini-romcoms rather than, er, advertising the bloody product.

Jordan

If I had Virgin, I could get the same speed too. But meh, considering I can download games from Steam at 4mb/s, I'm not fussed whatsoever.

I used to do a lot of downloading, I don't do so much now so I'm tempted to knock it down to 60, I don't need as much now...

Rich!

yeah i'll try and haggle sky down.

they're projecting my internet speed of being 2.5 - 6.8 Mbps lol :(

If you only have ADSL/copper connections then that's the best you're going to get. We only had that in our old flat. When we moved here, literally a five minute drive down the road, we were told we were now in a road that had fibreoptic connections. So we got given a new router, and upgraded free of charge (had to pay an extra amount each month for the unlimited though).

Chinner

Banned
If you only have ADSL/copper connections then that's the best you're going to get. We only had that in our old flat. When we moved here, literally a five minute drive down the road, we were told we were now in a road that had fibreoptic connections. So we got given a new router, and upgraded free of charge (had to pay an extra amount each month for the unlimited though).

yeah, well BT is claiming i can get 1-3 Mbps while sky is offering 2.5 - 6.8 Mbps. i'm not sure if bt is terrible or sky is over-promising.

Rich!

yeah, well BT is claiming i can get 1-3 Mbps while sky is offering 2.5 - 6.8 Mbps. i'm not sure if bt is terrible or sky is over-promising.

BT are terrible. You don't need any evidence of that.

The fact is, even if Sky IS overpromising, if it turns out that way then from my experience they'll do something about it. Whether it's in the form of a refund or a voucher, they'll make it up somehow.

Sky is like a shopkeeper who welcomes you in, and if you have an issue, they'll do anything to keep your custom. BT on the other hand would barricade you in and force you to shop regardless of the fact he's punching a broom handle up your ass, until you have no money or will left to give!

afoni

Banned
I can PM you the source if you like cos it sure isn't safe enough to post in public. ;)

no thank you

2953712697.png

Never really had any issues with BT. I've downloaded well over 60GB worth of shit this past month and there's been no throttling.

f0rk

i used to think that, but being here you realise it's a big area, and theres a lot of nice towns and villages

Yeah I could see that

I think they tend to low ball now a days because they've gotten into a mess over advertising claims in the past.
Have you looked at samknows? Most people say my new flat will only get 6mb as well but apparently there are a few other lines that only a few companies provide. Going to get the line activated by the Post Office then see about XILO as they get great reviews and their support has replied twice within 15 minutes of an email.

Jordan

Yeah, I have that 1 GB cap... if I signed up now for the same fucking price I would have 10 fucking GB...

That is a cuntish move by EE.

Rich!

Yeah, I have that 1 GB cap... if I signed up now for the same fucking price I would have 10 fucking GB...

That is a cuntish move by EE.

10gb would be enough for me to happily watch Breaking Bad on netflix each week at work

fuck you, EE

Jordan

Gotta agree with Ceylon on this one. I've only spoken to one English person from Virgin Media.

Edit: Sorry, I have spoken to business support where we're paying 13k a year where we actually get to speak to an English support team...

afoni

Banned
no thank you

2953712697.png

Never really had any issues with BT. I've downloaded well over 60GB worth of shit this past month and there's been no throttling.

I completely forgot that I was both downloading and seeding some stuff on utorrent while I did this, haha.

Morning all.

Woke myself up about 3am because of bad dreams. Couldn't get back to sleep for ages because I was still feeling the fear. Haven't done that for a really long time.

As a result my alarm went off far too soon and I'm still feeling sleepy :(

NinjaBoiX

Top of the morning peeps,

I'm testing a church this morning, it's so peaceful...

I already want to go home though.

:/
Morning all.

Woke myself up about 3am because of bad dreams. Couldn't get back to sleep for ages because I was still feeling the fear. Haven't done that for a really long time.

As a result my alarm went off far too soon and I'm still feeling sleepy :(
Aww!

8bit

Knows the Score
That Vita TV sounds neat, if it streams home video content easily the Apple TV is going in the bin.

Jordan

I will need to sit down and watch everything that's happened over the past few hours but god damn Sony, from what I read - that is how you do a conference.

SmokyDave

Dude Vita TV! Reverse remote play! I can record vita gameplay now finally! :O

I am fucking wetting myself with excitement. I spent a good chunk of this weekend playing Killzone Mercs (and some Senran Kagura), so seeing a flood of good Vita news is quite the perfect start to the week.

NinjaBoiX

That Vita TV sounds neat, if it streams home video content easily the Apple TV is going in the bin.

Dude Vita TV! Reverse remote play! I can record vita gameplay now finally! :O
Have I got this right that it is basically a Vita without the screen and buttons? You just plug it into your TV and use a DS3/4 right?

How will Vita games work without a touch pad?

I'm genuinely confused by this device.

Awesome vid of how Vita, Vita TV, and PS4 all work together. Dat remote plaaaaaaaaaay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWplhhktgqs

I haven't really had time to look at this properly...we can play digital Vita games on this too, right? Not just physical ones?
I'm going to assume it has to because the video I posted above has dudes playing Tekken PS1 and you can't get that physically. I'm guessing there's a slot for mem cards as well.

EDIT: yup, mem card slot is in the back of the machine.
I am fucking wetting myself with excitement. I spent a good chunk of this weekend playing Killzone Mercs (and some Senran Kagura), so seeing a flood of good Vita news is quite the perfect start to the week.

Yeah, it'll be nice just occasionally playing a Vita game on my Panny plasma, but I'm rather interested in how it will emulate touch screen.

EDIT: Yup, I'm guessing the DS4 would do it, but they're advertising the unit with a DS3.

8bit

Knows the Score
Have I got this right that it is basically a Vita without the screen and buttons? You just plug it into your TV and use a DS3/4 right?

It seems it won't support all Vita games (ie, those that depend on a touchpad) but will play most others as well as PS1 & PSP (and PS4 by streaming from your console in another room) on the big screen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

It's like the GameBoy Player but a stand alone device.

I assume it is compatible with the PS4's controller which has a touch interface or maybe you can use your Vita as a controller, though that option is no good for those buying just this device for Vita games.

Mikeside

It's going to be excellent for people with PS Plus and no Vita - $99 and they can play all their free Vita games. Seems stupid NOT to buy one if you're a Plus subscriber.

...I do kind-of wish this was something I could just do with my PS4, though, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Tactics Ogre, FFT, Killzone Mercs, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice and VLR on my TV?
Sony pls, u spoil me!

All they need now is to put Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Crisis Core on PSN (lol) & get an English release of FFt0 out (lol) and I'll be the happiest gamer ever.

I will need to sit down and watch everything that's happened over the past few hours but god damn Sony, from what I read - that is how you do a conference.

I woke up early, watched most of the conference, thinking 'cool, no megatons, but cool'. Seems they were dropped when I went back to sleep.

Question is would I get a Vita Slim, or a Vita TV box in the future? Sony you sons of bitches. I'm just glad Sony have managed to reform what the Vita is, for so long it's felt lost.

Mikeside

wordswordswords

Also, remember I'm coming up to Sheffield tonight, so let me know if tomorrow or Wednesday night is best for you to grab a few drinks and whatnot?

Going to try and have a more subdued night this time as the funds aren't great and I still have Eurogamer to pay for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom