• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

When does it launch properly? How different is it

On the 18th. My experience with major iOS releases when I had my iPhone though was to wait a couple of days. Those activation servers get fucked, yo.

This Blue Jay (never heard of it) is wicked. I was so baked last night, and I have plenty for over the weekend.

Only thing I can find by that name is something that is a combination of weed and blue lotus flower as some people swear by it being a weed enhancer. Tried looking at my other sources, but my TOR is being a bitch.

Looks like Asda took my money out of bank for GTAV preorder could be dispatched then

Looks like most of the big retailers online and the small retailers in towns are just sending them ASAP. Should be a good weekend for a lot of us!

Darren870

Do any of you have any experience of just saying fuck it and moving abroad, with no guaranteed job at the other end?

Yes, I did it when moving here and I am doing it again in 2 months. Well my company relocated me on the first one but I quit shortly after I got here.

In other news my sabbatical talk went good so they should approve it.

Suairyu

Banned
It'll be lost in the other thread, so I'll respond here:

Gotta say, I wish they'd included a female character. Predominantly just to shake things up a bit. If anything, it might've made their exploration of masculinity a little more interesting (though obviously I can't know until I've actually played the game).

I think it's a shame that female gamers seem to feel alienated by male leads, and vice versa. I play games to escape from reality so I don't really care if the player character is male, female, duck, or toilet (in the case of Saints Row). Easy for me to say though, I can usually just change the eyes to blue on a generic create-a-character and it looks like me. I don't though, I tend to play as a woman where the choice is offered. No idea why.

Who knows, maybe GTA6 will bring us a badass female lead. I picture someone along the lines of the character Lorelei Martins from The Mentalist. She was all kinds of bad.
It's not that this specific game in general doesn't have a female lead, I think. It's more that there aren't very many female leads to begin with, and so games with guaranteed huge sales such as GTA perhaps have an added responsibility to lead the way in terms of representation.

Which GTA has done well in the past, mind. Remember the outrage among many white gamers that CJ in San Andreas was black? (If you don't remember, just visit the NeoGAF archives... ugly, ugly time) But I certainly think they should strongly consider female protagonist representation in GTAVI.

Representation in media is important, because kids who grow up rarely or never seeing people like themselves (female, transgendered, black, asian, whatever) in protagonist roles can end up not feeling confident, empowered, or welcome.

There's a rather decent broad-look documentary film of the subject from the female POV called Miss Representation, which is available on Netflix and probably other places, if you want to know more.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Women don't steal cars.

Gif-Spetznas.gif

Yes, I did it when moving here and I am doing it again in 2 months. Well my company relocated me on the first one but I quit shortly after I got here.

In other news my sabbatical talk went good so they should approve it.

Yay, that's really good news!

See people, Friday 13th isn't so bad.

Just checked my bank account, no luck for me it seems.

Me either, I'm not bothered, I have enough patience to wait until it arrives, whenever that may be.

Darren870

Can I bug you with the same questions :p? The circumstances of you coming, what you did, money situation etc.?

Mine wasn't as extreme as I had money saved up.

I do IT. Network Security to be exact. Its a pretty good field and not that hard to find work. I am limited to cities though.

The first time was moving from NY to London. My company relocated me but after a few months they said they wanted me to come back to NY. I wasn't having it so I looked for a new job and quit. My visa is tied to myself so I can work wherever I want in the UK. I've switched jobs twice since then and have been in my current one for a year.

I've been here for 4 years now and am leaving on November 13th. I have about £10k saved and that's for traveling for the next 6 months and then getting on my feet in Oz. My travel budget is £3500 so that leaves the rest for Oz. That isn't all my money, but that's how much I am allocating to this. Realistically I should only need about £5k

I had an interview on Wednesday and it seems like there is work down there. If I wanted to go now they would have offered me the job. However, I want to travel a bit before I move again.

My advice would be to do it, take the bulls by the horn and go for it. Not only is it an amazing experience to live somewhere else but its a HUGE confidence booster. I constantly feel like I am on the top of the world. I am only 28 and have been to so many new places, met new people, tried new food and experienced things I never thought I would.

Make sure you have some money to get you going. I wound up selling almost everything I had and that is how I started with most my money. 1500 games to like 50. I brought my xbox and wii with me, but they just sit there gathering dust. I am going to wind up selling them off soon to have some extra spare cash. Already started putting other things I've gathered on ebay.

I am guessing you are a Brit so you should be able to work anywhere in the EU. That opens your options a lot as you could do 6 months one place and 6 months another. I met a ski instructor that would teach for 6 months in France and then would be a tour operator for 6 months in Greece.

If you are confident in yourself and the skills you do possess then you shouldn't have a problem, you just might have to go to certain places to make money with your skills. Eg I couldn't live in the Lake District and do IT...

SmokyDave

I'm thinking I should've ordered my GTA5 online. As it is, I think I'll hit up a midnight launch.

It's not that this specific game in general doesn't have a female lead, I think. It's more that there aren't very many female leads to begin with, and so games with guaranteed huge sales such as GTA perhaps have an added responsibility to lead the way in terms of representation.

Which GTA has done well in the past, mind. Remember the outrage among many white gamers that CJ in San Andreas was black? (If you don't remember, just visit the NeoGAF archives... ugly, ugly time) But I certainly think they should strongly consider female protagonist representation in GTAVI.

Representation in media is important, because kids who grow up rarely or never seeing people like themselves (female, transgendered, black, asian, whatever) in protagonist roles can end up not feeling confident, empowered, or welcome.

There's a rather decent broad-look documentary film of the subject from the female POV called Miss Representation, which is available on Netflix and probably other places, if you want to know more.
I dig that, I'm totally behind the idea. That thread put me in a really bad mood today and now I feel stupid for getting pissed off at gamers on the internet.

"Press L2 to awesome."
R2!

TCRS

Banned

I liked my suggestion (duh): either a female lead in a new Bully or in GTA VI set in the UK. the lead has to have a northern accent though. That is sexy and scary at the same time.

is that sexist?

TCRS

Banned
I've been here for 4 years now and am leaving on November 13th. I have about £10k saved and that's for traveling for the next 6 months and then getting on my feet in Oz. My travel budget is £3500 so that leaves the rest for Oz. That isn't all my money, but that's how much I am allocating to this. Realistically I should only need about £5k

is that enough for six months? seems a little low to me. where are ou planning to travel?

Jordan

So, my day is definitely going okay. I mean in no way shape or form is it perfect, but it's good enough.

I went out for lunch to a place opposite our usual and it was fantastic. The only thing that ruined it was my work mobile rang and I had a very grumpy pissed off member of staff screaming at me down the phone whilst my top boss was there.

Other than that - I've got an hour left and then I'm going home for the day.

SteveWD40

I went to Australia in 2006 with no job, sold my flat and took a year off, spent all my cash (lived it up a little there) and regret nothing.

Life is for living, we are one of the first generations with the ability to travel so freely and cheaply.

is that enough for six months? seems a little low to me. where are ou planning to travel?

Depends on where you're going I suppose. If it's exclusively Australia then it'll be tough unless you can cook your own food in the evenings.

If it helps in any way I spent around 6k travelling around SE Asia, China and then South America for 8 months. Flights back to uk and out again included.

Darren870

I'm going to South America. The flights are free (points) and other things shall be cheap.
I have some free lodging on the way too.

I can go over budget, however I'm not planning on it.

Hasney

I have such a horrific headache that I've had since last night. Not sure if it's not having any weed for 2 days after smoking fairly constantly for 2 months or what. but if it turns out to be that, time to cut down when I get resupplied.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a comprehensive reply.

I already know where I want to go and what I ultimately want to do, for me it's more of starting a new life in the place I've wanted to be since I first discovered it.

Where do you want to go?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
When we first installed the washer in our apartment we didn't do it right and it flooded the whole kitchen. Tried all sorts and the laundry was building up for 2 weeks until we just called the landlord and they fixed it in 10 minutes.

NinjaBoiX

So I just listened to AM for the first time, glorious. Absolutely glorious.

It's easily there darkest record sonically, all minor chord melodies, deep bass lines and chugging rhythms. So much with the bass!

Standout tracks for me:

R U Mine? - best AM tune in years. Great lyrics, fat riffs and Matt bringing those mental fills!

Arabella - just a great rock and roll tune. They channeled a bit of AC/DC on that on for me.

No 1. Party Anthem - yay, lighters out ballad!

Fireside - as soon I heard that insistent rhythm I was hooked.

Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? - I love that bass line, although Alex's delivery is a little laboured here. The verses don't quite scan properly. The outro is amazing though.

Knee Socks - another really catchy beat, and great use of backing vocals. Has a slight disco vibe, without being camp.

Loved it. You can tell Alex and Josh Homme are bessies now; there is more and more QOTSA influence creeping in, although its obviously not so pronounced as it was in Humbug with Josh having a hand in production.

Excellent album! Although I can't believe this didn't make the cut, it's fantastic:

Evil Twin

SKINNER!

Banned
.In reality its just possessions losing value by the minute. That £30 game you never played isn't £30 any more and its just going to get lower.

My goodness this is true but I could never see myself sell all the games I have obtained these past 10+ years unless the repo man was coming. Easier said than done bro.

But seriously Ceylon, do some travellin and/or work abroad. It'll open your eyes!

ah afoni, the joys of moving into a new home. I had the same issue and a quick phonecall fixed all that. It's common.

Darren870

My goodness this is true but I could never see myself sell all the games I have obtained these past 10+ years unless the repo man was coming. Easier said than done bro.

But seriously Ceylon, do some travellin and/or work abroad. It'll open your eyes!

ah afoni, the joys of moving into a new home. I had the same issue and a quick phonecall fixed all that. It's common.

Mate, I know. I used to be a neo geo collector. Had games worth a ton. Arcade cabinets. Complete dreamcast set. Had so much. All gone now though.

Was hard at first, don't even think about it or care any more.

SKINNER!

Banned
Mate, I know. I used to be a neo geo collector. Had games worth a ton. Arcade cabinets. Complete dreamcast set. Had so much. All gone now though.

Was hard at first, don't even think about it or care any more.

Plus you get to see the world and put the money you got from that stuff to some good use so it's not too bad :)

f0rk

First day of work today at an on boarding event thing. Got a sweet water bottle

Yo the patrolling police at King's Cross have proper assault rifles what's up with that

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Saw the box for a sex doll in the street today and laughed. Clearly a gag gift for someone.
Went back later, someone had opened it. Didn't look anything like the picture on the box.
Later still and the box and doll were both gone.

Jordan

Today has been weird.

It was a long ass day at work, went out for lunch and had some fucking amazing food. Got moaned at, lost the work phone, found work phone, brought Persona 4 and then ended up spending like two hours playing Fifa on the vita with my dad then eventually moving up to Fifa 14 on the 360.

He broke my controller! The rubber came off the left analog stick, that's my GTA controller :( Need to buy a new wired one now.

Currently sat listening to Avicii live at iTunes festival, not entirely sure what to make of it, it's catchy but it's so cheesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom