• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

I'm not even close to ready for finale spoilers. I'm only halfway through series 2! I'll be exclusively in Nintendo threads for the foreseeable. And presumably I'm safe here.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's a newspaper. Spoiling a show isn't news. A newspaper being run by people who like to spoil things is news however.

I agree, but people are idiots. Most people equate 'review' with 'synopsis' as well. Those of us with more than two brain cells to rub together must spend our lives making allowances for idiots. Or at least the media's perception of us as idiots. And therefore, there will be spoilers. There have to be. Because the only way to talk about something is to spell out exactly what happened.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I agree, but people are idiots. Most people equate 'review' with 'synopsis' as well. Those of us with more than two brain cells to rub together must spend our lives making allowances for idiots. Or at least the media's perception of us as idiots. And therefore, there will be spoilers. There have to be. Because the only way to talk about something is to spell out exactly what happened.
I'm going to assume you didn't see the metro article about the game of thrones episode

afoni

Banned
I will be honest in saying I will probably forget who most of you were unless we spoke or played games at Loading.

There are a lot of us.

Suairyu

Banned
Okay I'm flicking on the "stop story" option in GTA for a while until I better know this map. Would love to hear what landmarks you people are using, as the city just doesn't seem to have any memorable ones to me. Best I can do right now is see what skyscrapes are in the distance and sort of but not really work out what vague quadrant of the map I'm on and what direction I'm facing.

Again, I still haven't left the city because this is so frustrating. I had most of the first island in GTA IV down in a couple of days due to how tight and varied that place was.

Okay I'm flicking on the "stop story" option in GTA for a while until I better know this map. Would love to hear what landmarks you people are using, as the city just doesn't seem to have any memorable ones to me. Best I can do right now is see what skyscrapes are in the distance and sort of but not really work out what vague quadrant of the map I'm on and what direction I'm facing.

Again, I still haven't left the city because this is so frustrating. I had most of the first island in GTA IV down in a couple of days due to how tight and varied that place was.

why do you have to memorise the map to play the game?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm going to assume you didn't see the metro article about the game of thrones episode

Yeah I saw it, which is why I'm expecting the spoiler article for tomorrow. But I had already seen the show and read the book so I wasn't affected.

I get that it's annoying, but people need their media synopsised. Because they're fucking dumb.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

This memorisation thing is a strange compulsion :p

From my memory, it's fairly easy to get around - the Hills at the top of town with the crazy roads, Hollywood just below it. The hood in the middle of the city, airport and docks to the south. Vespucci on the west coast, hipsterville on the east.

You pick it up by the mid of the game, once you've had stuff happen around the city. Just follow your map a lil bit.

Ironically, I find the wilderness a bit easier to navigate, I like going through wine country the best.

I've played maybe 10-12 hours so far, and 8 or 9 of those have been just cruising around the city, with two brief jaunts up the two coastal roads. I feel fairly comfortable now with the western 2/3rds of the city. Sure I couldn't describe the place in vivid detail, but I've got a general sense of bearings.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm wondering if I should just break my sense of immersion and enter the blimp code to get some aerial views going. That might help things!

There's practical reasons, too, as once you have the general lay of the land down, you can start learning all the short-cuts and hidey holes for efficient cop evasion.

It's actually quite astounding to think how easy the GTAIII-line of games was to memorise. Vice City in particular had an incredible small and simple map, but even GTA III I knew like the back of my had very quickly, and San Andreas wasn't that hard as most of it was just inter-state highways connecting extremely small cities.

I never personally understood the complains about GTA IV just being one city as that thing was huge. And V is even huger! As realism goes up, my ability to hold it all in my head diminishes.

why do you have to memorise the map to play the game?
Don't have to, of course, but prefer to. I don't like playing the game by staring at a tiny minimap for GPS. If I want to go somewhere in the game, I want to know how to get there without help. Rockstar do genuinely convincing cities to make your home in, so it plays better to know how to get around without the GPS.

Should also ultimately give you an edge in GTA: Online.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Don't have to, of course, but prefer to. I don't like playing the game by staring at a tiny minimap for GPS. If I want to go somewhere in the game, I want to know how to get there without help. Rockstar do genuinely convincing cities to make your home in, so it plays better to know how to get around without the GPS.

Should also ultimately give you an edge in GTA: Online.

IMO the BEST way to learn the city is to get the hidden collectables. Maybe use the map from R* Social Club (they want you to have it, it's not cheating!) and spend a few hours working the city with Chop. I spent all afternoon sunday doing it, and I could find my way around blindfolded now.

SKINNER!

Banned
cUyftDS.png

Fuckin' win! So gonna watch Parks and Recs now.

if this has already been posted then I apologise. Haven't read a single post here since the breaking bad finale. Gonna be back once I've seen it. I don't trust that afoni.

Reknoc

Yeah, fairly sure it was in IV. I would like some subtle trails to follow on the roads like in SR and SD. Those games were dull, but the navigation was just fine.

IV definitely had it, though only the more uptown cars would have a voice (which was useless anyway). What Saints Row did the GTA should do is allow you to unlock shortcuts for the GPS.

Suairyu

Banned
GTA needs a sat-nav that talks to you.
Best feature about IV. Could turn off the minimap and just use the turn-by-turn sat nav. Helped massively with learning the roads and landmarks.

IMO the BEST way to learn the city is to get the hidden collectables. Maybe use the map from R* Social Club (they want you to have it, it's not cheating!) and spend a few hours working the city with Chop. I spent all afternoon sunday doing it, and I could find my way around blindfolded now.
Cheers for this. Will get involved on that shit.

... even if I feel I can't actually use chop properly just because I bought an Android phone rather than an Apple...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Best feature about IV. Could turn off the minimap and just use the turn-by-turn sat nav. Helped massively with learning the roads and landmarks.

Cheers for this. Will get involved on that shit.

... even if I feel I can't actually use chop properly just because I bought an Android phone rather than an Apple...

I might be wrong because I'm one of those dirty appletards, but I think the only things that app are for are 'tricks' like sit, beg, give paw. I think that searching out pickups is something he should be able to do regardless. But I might be wrong. All I remember is I only unlocked three things in the app, and I;m sure they were the tricks.

So Breaking Bad

is still a programme I've not seen a single episode.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

(But yes Parks and Rec in the UK was cool, and Ron Swanson's trip at the end particularly).

NinjaBoiX

My housemates really are a set of useless cunts. Our six month lease starts tomorrow, so I got my part of the contract signed before I went away last week. But of course nobody else followed suit, despite having all fucking week to do it!

We are effectively squatting as of midnight. I really do need to take care of everything for these three manchilden.

On the plus side, the beard trimmer I bought last week is fine, I thought I done broke that shit! Time to lose the hobo stubble and stop this infernal itching. Aww yiss!

Side note: The hold music for our letting agents (Good Life) is "Good Life" by Inner City. Top marks.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I laughed when I first noticed.

But yeah, remove it.

Still funny.

Seriously though get rid of it or he will press charges.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Fuck me i have turned into the perfect version of myself without weed, It's like i turned to booze and drugs to kill the permanent high cloud i was living in. (Over thinking things and just worrying about fucking everything, so i just smoked my self further into it to dull.Weed not even once, Evil ass shit, Without weed i have no fucking worries lol this last week i have been acing any social encounter i have been in, sober as a fucking judge!, I got sucked into the weed world with people saying ah try this, this is safe, no one has ever died from weed! Boom! Good to back in the real world guys, can't fucking believe drug addiction happened to me, You never even relies your an addict at the time. I would like to thank MDAI the mild psychedelic experience. Once i was in that head space i started to think outside the box and it became apparent what my problem was. Mindblowing that all this has happened to me, fucking drug addiction ? I'm better than that.

Kentpaul

As I was reading I thought that was the answer to Ant or Dec.

Oh mate you have no idea how glad I am. It's bloody wonderful.

I may have saved my own life. I hope other daily weed smokers see the light. Its a tough few days getting it out your system but damn once its out and you return to a normal place.

Happy days.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think that weed use is on a continuum. Sure it's addictive to an extent (the tobacco quadruply so), but it depends on why you're using it as to how it can become a problem. The idea of using it as a crutch, to escape reality, is a bad idea. But I think that people who use it like that would do anyway with other substances. And I think in that situation, daily smoking is better than daily drinking.

Me, I just like to get lazy after work, I don't think that's so bad. That said, will be mostly dry this month as I'm totally skint. Gonna be a tough week sweating it through.

Kentpaul

Kent, would you finally let go and admit weed, like any other chemical substance, is addictive?

It's the most addictive thing i have used brother, I ended up smoking it daily, It's nice to be able to walk around my home without it being a complete mission. Even last night i bloody lay on my bed and looked up a the stars for about an hour just thinking. It's good to be back :)

I think that weed use is on a continuum. Sure it's addictive to an extent (the tobacco quadruply so), but it depends on why you're using it as to how it can become a problem. The idea of using it as a crutch, to escape reality, is a bad idea. But I think that people who use it like that would do anyway with other substances. And I think in that situation, daily smoking is better than daily drinking.

Me, I just like to get lazy after work, I don't think that's so bad. That said, will be mostly dry this month as I'm totally skint. Gonna be a tough week sweating it through.

Each to there own, I'm not here to judge, i had a problem with it that's about as far as my experience with weed goes.

I'm happy for you Kent, you sound like you're in a good place right now, that's awesome.

Me, well I'm about to stick on BB, so I'm as happy as can be. Also my new Unicorn ear plugs turned up, life is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom