• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jedeye you just revealed a bug fear! BritGAF is made of proper gents and lasses who won't be saying spoilers, yes?

And a grown adult who finishes GTA V in less than two weeks has the nerve to call me a nerd! I understand CHEEZMO has no obligations but you have a job and band, sir!

I finished it in 5 days :p But I did take a week off for it, it's my holiday for the year. I did it so nobody could spoil me.

I will try my darnedest not to give away anything. Promise :) apart from the aliens. j/k
or is it?!?!

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm only about 33% through, but there are parts of GTA that could be spoiled and I wouldn't believe what was said anyway.

Oh and btw, there is a BB spoiler in the Metro this morning on page 11, but they were kind enough to warn you on page 9. I think they learnt after incurring the wrath of everyone last time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think I'll start on GoT and go from there,

Yeah! Tits and swords!!

Thinking about starting Justified as my next show, I keep hearing it's awesome. Still yet to try Sons of Anarchy as well, but something about it keeps putting me off...

BB was ace last night, I got a bit verklempt at points. Such closure.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm only about 33% through, but there are parts of GTA that could be spoiled and I wouldn't believe what was said anyway.

I think that big plot spoilers are a no no (like who kills who when etc) but some people are crazy over this shit, pretty much everything is considered a spoiler now and it's daft. Some things aren't spoilers, they act as the opposite, things to get you excited.

My problem is, the game is now all jumbled up in my head so I have no recollection of when stuff happened. So if I want to talk about a specific section or event I'm buggered, can't remember if it was early, mid or end game. I can't wait for everyone to finish it so we can talk about favourite missions.

Yeah! Tits and swords!!

Thinking about starting Justified as my next show, I keep hearing it's awesome. Still yet to try Sons of Anarchy as well, but something about it keeps putting me off...

Both Justified and Sons Of Anarchy get a big thumbs up from me, I'm patiently waiting for the season five Blu-Ray release of SOA.

Yeah! Tits and swords!!

I tried series 1 of Justified because I love Olyphant, but I just couldn't get into it.

SoA is awesome though.

Jordan

I started watching Arrow last night due to not being able to sleep, two episodes later and it was around half twelve... It then took me a further hour and a half to fall asleep... Then alarm woke me up at 6 - feeling rough would be an understatement :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fuck Arrow so hard in its stupid chiseled abs and designer stubble. Fuck it.

Ollie Queen is 50 years old, has a blonde goatee, is married to Black Canary, has a half native american son called Connor and a ward called Speedy.

Fuck this stupid kid they've replaced him with fucking stupid DC with your bullshit.

Jordan

Having never read it before, I am enjoying it... Clearly there is a subtle difference between the book and tv programme

afoni

Banned
Whoever used to live here forgot to cancel the weekly Graze box.

So naturally, we're eating whatever comes through the door.

Found a flapjack in today's one.

SKINNER!

Banned
Morning all. Satisfied with the BB finale.
Glad that babyface POS got choked out by Jesse. Kinda wanted a final confrontation between Walt and Lydia but then I realised they never had any big hate in the first place so it wouldn't make sense. Solid, safe ending to the series I thought.

Really want that Breaking Bad barrel bluray set now even though I already have S1-3 on Region 1 DVD. Now I need to find a new big show to watch. Thinkiing Hannibal and/or Boardwalk empire.

Also, Lirlond, you ever worked at the big Tesco at Maryhill? Tried to get GTA 5 late last night but they didn't have any :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Having never read it before, I am enjoying it... Clearly there is a subtle difference between the book and tv programme

That's what annoys me, DC reset their universe a couple of years ago and replaced the real, interesting Ollie with this dumb kid. Older people are not relatable apparently. But super rich 20 year olds who look like Channing Tatum are apparently the everyman. It's heartbreaking - Ollie as this slightly over-the-hill Errol Flynn fan with a womanising streak is just perfect. A strong father figure, but flawed. Left wing stance, tempered by age and experience.

vs abs.

Fuck off DC you cunts.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Whoever used to live here forgot to cancel the weekly Graze box.

So naturally, we're eating whatever comes through the door.

things to do: post some poo through afoni's letterbox.

Also Shorty - Boardwalk is a bit slow paced but it's brilliant.

8bit

Knows the Score
The show I most recently liked was Vegas with Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis & Trinity. I think it might have been on Sky Atlantic. Only 1 series though.

SKINNER!

Banned
Also Shorty - Boardwalk is a bit slow paced but it's brilliant.

Cheers for the warning. As long as it is interesting and all it's doing is setting the foundations for a badass story (rather than just have pointless chatter going round in circles) then I'm cool with it.

I was told Veep and House of Cards were slow but really good too. I've been wanting some good political show kinda like 24 but without the "OTT macho man saves USA" ness.

NinjaBoiX

Morning duders,

Torturesticks coming back to work! Nah, it's not too bad, that new role shift I was going to be doing has been cancelled, sweet! Still got a fuckload to catch up on though, but it's all good.

I still don't know whether to get back into Walking Dead. I've done S1 and a few eps of S2 but I wasn't feeling it. I have been told it gets better though.

I think I'll start on GoTs and go from there,

Walking Dead gets progressively worse, despite the odd impressive episode. It just gets so so fucking dull!

And the characters are almost exclusively awful. Andrea is just excruciating.

Don't waste your time Musha, straight to GoT! It's so good.

Also, where is stern avatar? ;)

the pilot for MARVEL: Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D was enjoyable.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it, despite having zero frame of reference with Marvel. It was amusing, exciting and intriguing. I'll definitely watch the next one.

That's what annoys me, DC reset their universe a couple of years ago and replaced the real, interesting Ollie with this dumb kid. Older people are not relatable apparently. But super rich 20 year olds who look like Channing Tatum are apparently the everyman. It's heartbreaking - Ollie as this slightly over-the-hill Errol Flynn fan with a womanising streak is just perfect. A strong father figure, but flawed. Left wing stance, tempered by age and experience.

vs abs.

Fuck off DC you cunts.

I was about to say get that sand out of your vagina, but then I remembered I have exactly the same stance on what they've done to Lobo.

But new Oliver is sooooooo hooooooooooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Sau will stop at a red light during a high speed chase online. I wouldn't let him drive guys

Don't waste your time Musha, straight to GoT! It's so good.

Also, where is stern avatar? ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Back now!

Yeah, I really enjoyed it, despite having zero frame of reference with Marvel. It was amusing, exciting and intriguing. I'll definitely watch the next one.

I'm surprised you managed to takle any of it in, the amount you and Andy were talking :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cheers for the warning. As long as it is interesting and all it's doing is setting the foundations for a badass story (rather than just have pointless chatter going round in circles) then I'm cool with it.

I was told Veep and House of Cards were slow but really good too. I've been wanting some good political show kinda like 24 but without the "OTT macho man saves USA" ness.

Yeah it's all set up and world building and the cast is massive, especially at the start of the show. It does have an even more impressive boobs/violence ratio than GoT as well. and it looks better. I think Boardwalk has my favourite WTF moments of any show, it just gets better and better.

House of Cards was ok - the start of the season was really quite dull but the second half was great. Really interested to see where it goes next year.

I was about to say get that sand out of your vagina, but then I remembered I have exactly the same stance on what they've done to Lobo.

But new Oliver is sooooooo hooooooooooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmao new Lobo is so terrible! This is what I mean, DC do not seem to understand what makes their properties good any more. If they just give everyone a CW makeover they'll be popular, but they're stripping their characters of character at the same time.

It makes me sad because I've been their customer for nigh on 20 years now. And they've totally lost me over the last 2.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeah it's all set up and world building and the cast is massive, especially at the start of the show. It does have an even more impressive boobs/violence ratio than GoT as well. and it looks better. I think Boardwalk has my favourite WTF moments of any show, it just gets better and better..

and it's set during the prohibition in the 20s right? I'm a big sucker for that LA Confidential/LA Noire/Gangster Squad kinda thing.

Also guys, for a person that absolutely detests the fantasy genre, will I appreciate Game of Thrones? For the record, I do not appreciate LotR or any of the Elder Scrolls games. Fable 1 was ok.

NinjaBoiX

I'm surprised you managed to takle any of it in, the amount you and Andy were talking :p
We have much to discuss. He is an engineering nerd, I find that shit fascinating. He often goes straight over my head when he gets into the nitty gritty though!

There was a line in BB last night that I could just imagine getting a smirk from Andy,
"there ain't no replacement for displacement" when they are discussing the engine in Walt's motor.
I chuckled anyway!

Reknoc

and it's set during the prohibition in the 20s right? I'm a big sucker for that LA Confidential/LA Noire/Gangster Squad kinda thing.

Also guys, for a person that absolutely detests the fantasy genre, will I appreciate Game of Thrones? For the record, I do not appreciate LotR or any of the Elder Scrolls games. Fable 1 was ok.

Maybe, probably. For the most part GoT is pretty grounded fantasy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yep, 20s setting, it's so cool. The clothes and hairstyles are amazing. It is def the best looking show on telly. Beautiful ladies in it too, hmmmm.

As for hating fantasy, what do you tend to hate about it? GoT is great with the politics side - it's often very powerful and dangerous people saying terrible things to each other. The overt fantastical elements are kept minimal and are grounded quite well. It's far less speechy and silly than LotR and such. No elves and shit.

Did anyone manage to watch Utopia? It was on Channel 4 not too long ago. I want it to return.

Yeah I watched it last month, was fantastic! Great looking show, especially for a UK production. Nice tone and I appreciate the artyness of it. I liked how spacious and composed it was.

Jordan

Yeah I watched it last month, was fantastic! Great looking show, especially for a UK production. Nice tone and I appreciate the artyness of it. I liked how spacious and composed it was.

Glad I wasn't alone in watching it. I loved the characters, some of the main story characters were a bitchy and whiny. Neil Maskell was fantastic in it though. "Where is Jessica Hyde?" That'll stick with me for a while.

Did anyone manage to watch Utopia? It was on Channel 4 not too long ago. I want it to return.

Yes, I loved it. Can't wait for it to come back and see where they take it.

Glad I wasn't alone in watching it. I loved the characters, some of the main story characters were a bitchy and whiny. Neil Maskell was fantastic in it though. "Where is Jessica Hyde?" That'll stick with me for a while.

I saw that written in a portaloo at Download. Made me chuckle.

Symphonia

Banned
That one hours sleep last night is really not doing me any favours. At least I can have a bit of a lie in tomorrow. Which I probably won't take advantage of, as I'll be trying to finish GTA V.

Hystzen

Working 2-10pm then get home back to bed up at 5am then work 7-2. I just wanna finish Kingdom Hearts man I have no idea why I like the game all do is moan about shit design choices.

Darren870

Watched the finale of BB last night. Very good send off to the series. Glad it ended the way it did. Unlike that crap Dexter....

Radiohead had some great pictures. He must have taken a bunch more though as I thought I saw him snapping away at the kings head.

SKINNER!

Banned
As for hating fantasy, what do you tend to hate about it?

I just can't get into the genre at all. Slow-paced fluff coupled in forests with some dwarves/elves speaking their own language BS. Only one I can remotely tolerate is Zelda and even I gave up halfway through Twilight Princess. I think my problem is that I'm associating it with factual history (Even though it's "fantasy" I know I know) and as a result I'd be like "Can't take it seriously!". Complete opposite with cyberpunk for me because I feel that the genre predicts what's going to happen in the future. "Oh shit! hover cars and VR. That might be possible in 2050!" Although we all know that back in the 50s (Jetsons?) they said we'd be in hover cars by 2000 >.<

ha, perhaps I'm too anal about this. Not going to be surprised if this post crops up on that "Dumbest neogaf posts" twitter page.

EDIT: Jordan, you're an Avril fan. Curious to know your thoughts on that How You Remind Me cover.

Jordan

EDIT: Jordan, you're an Avril fan. Curious to know your thoughts on that How You Remind Me cover.

Just gonna give it a listen to now.

Edit: It is very very different to the original. I was sort of expecting her to go for a rock vibe with it and keep the loud scream of "And this is how you remind me" - I think it will grow on me quite a lot but on first listen I prefer the original.

SKINNER!

Banned
Just gonna give it a listen to now. Edit: It is very very different to the original. I was sort of expecting her to go for a rock vibe with it and keep the loud scream of "And this is how you remind me" - I think it will grow on me quite a lot but on first listen I prefer the original.

Came across it during the holidays (I don't take my mp3 player abroad) and thought it wasn't too shabby. and yeah, that's the thing about it being different. It was only halfway through that I realised it was "How You Remind Me". Damn you Kroeger and your dirty tricks!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just can't get into the genre at all. Slow-paced fluff coupled in forests with some dwarves/elves speaking their own language BS. Only one I can remotely tolerate is Zelda and even I gave up halfway through Twilight Princess. I think my problem is that I'm associating it with factual history (Even though it's "fantasy" I know I know) and as a result I'd be like "Can't take it seriously!". Complete opposite with cyberpunk for me because I feel that the genre predicts what's going to happen in the future. "Oh shit! hover cars and VR. That might be plausable in 2050!" Although we all know that back in the 50s (Jetsons?) they said we'd be in hover cars by 2000 >.<

ha, perhaps I'm too anal about this. Not going to be surprised if this post crops up on that "Dumbest neogaf posts" twitter page.

Well, GoT doesn't have the orcs and elves stuff, but it does have some standing around in forests talking, and the occasional mythical beast. It also has some of the best 'I fucking hate that guy' characters in all of TV.

I'm with you to an extent though, the thing about fantasy that always gets me is the ridiculous timescales. "We've been living in this castle for three thousand years!" No you haven't, don't be stupid. A society remaining unchanged for thousands of years is a ridiculous idea.

But I got over it, and you can too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom