• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
Ugghhh, my ex used to 'joke' about me proposing all the time.
All it does is make things more awkward every day until it's very difficult to not turn around and say "maybe I would propose if there was ANY kind of future in this relationship????"

The more I think about it, the less I miss being in one.

Not trying to knock your girlfriend, Chinduck, I'm sure your relationship is much more stable and fulfilling than mine was.

yeah i know. i get you, its just banter like jokes and stuff. i think she wants to get married at some point, i just dont really see the point of marriage in todays society.

jackben said:
White shirt, solid color tie? What kind of job is it mate
data application basically, im qualified enough for the job just want ot make the riht impression.

Mikeside

Well, it's not really for you, you know?

Assuming you're talking about marriage being something you do because the girl wants to, I couldn't disagree more.
It's a huge life decision for both parties.

Probably something to make clear to a partner early on if you're not somebody who believes in marriage - like Suairyu with not having kids - he's certain about not wanting them, so he's totally transparent with his other half about it (I assume, what with the vasectomy and all)

Personally, I'm entirely open to marriage, though I'm skeptical of meeting somebody I could spend my entire life with.

Mikeside

No woodsey, I'll give a hoot.

Noo.

no.

Hi stranger, fill in the form from the OP and we'll judge you accordingly.
Hint - any answer to the Pokémon question other than 'Pokémon is awful, I am not a manchild' will uncur the wrath of Jedeye Sniv, though afoni and Hot Coldman will never forgive you if you don't pick Weedle.

Assuming you're talking about marriage being something you do because the girl wants to, I couldn't disagree more.
It's a huge life decision for both parties.

Probably something to make clear to a partner early on if you're not somebody who believes in marriage - like Suairyu with not having kids - he's certain about not wanting them, so he's totally transparent with his other half about it (I assume, what with the vasectomy and all)

Personally, I'm entirely open to marriage, though I'm skeptical of meeting somebody I could spend my entire life with.

If I remember correctly, he isn't transparent.

Sorry, was just bored on the bus home. Didn't realise there was an application form to fill in?! What's next, aptitude test then an interview??

When's you Birthday: January 11th
Where do you live: Banbridge
Where are you from: Wirral
Occupation/University: Civil Service
Favourite Actor/Actress: Emma Stone :)
Favourite Band/Artist: Super Furry Animals
Favourite TV Show: It was Breaking Bad
Favourite Crisps: Tesco goats cheese and chilli jam
Favourite Biscuit: Custard Cream
Favourite Pokémon: All shit :)
Ant or Dec: The one who always stands on the left? Ant?
Stalactites or Stalagmites: Mites deffo.
Beano or Dandy: Dandy!

there.
happy?
HAPPY?!?!

Mikeside

Sorry, was just bored on the bus home. Didn't realise there was an application form to fill in?! What's next, aptitude test then an interview??

there.
happy?
HAPPY?!?!

Thanks for filling in the form.
We'll contact you for an interview in the next few weeks if you meet our strict guidelines.
Out of interest... would you wear a suit?

Good answers, by the way.
Pokémon shit will get you points with Jed
Emma Stone gets you points with me (though you need to back off, she's kind-of mine).
Breaking Bad will get you points with everyone.
Goats cheese and chilli jam? I think I've discovered something to purchase on my way home...

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
0_0.jpg

The best selfie

I was in a friends super-apartment and we thought it would be funny if we took selfies as another dude flew his plane into the window.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
yeah i know. i get you, its just banter like jokes and stuff. i think she wants to get married at some point, i just dont really see the point of marriage in todays society.

data application basically, im qualified enough for the job just want ot make the riht impression.

The point of marriage is that she wants it, isn't that enough? You are still too young obvs, but I don't get the idea that marriage is meaningless. If it has meaning to one person, that's meaning enough.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

there.
happy?
HAPPY?!?!

You da man :)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The point of marriage is that she wants it, isn't that enough? You are still too young obvs, but I don't get the idea that marriage is meaningless. If it has meaning to one person, that's meaning enough.
Have to disagree. That's actually the issue in a lot of ways. All the meaning to one person, none to the other. Still tons of pressure in society to marry when it's not going to work out unless both are fully on-board.

Furthermore, let's analyse the reasons. Why does someone want it? What does it give that cannot be gotten through other means?

I understand people have their reasons and I respect them and am happy to celebrate other's marriage. For myself, I'm not so certain it's necessary and I have to disagree that age has anything to do with it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Have to disagree. That's actually the issue in a lot of ways. All the meaning to one person, none to the other. Still tons of pressure in society to marry when it's not going to work out unless both are fully on-board.

Furthermore, let's analyse the reasons. Why does someone want it? What does it give that cannot be gotten through other means?

I can only talk from my own experience, but I grew up a child of a single parent, and so marriage was not something I'd really thought about in my life. My mrs grew up with two married parents and so to her it was super important. We were together for 10 years before we got married, but it literally did get to the point where she was saying "this is important to me, if we don't do it, we're finished".

Having to choose between a ceremony that didn't mean too much to me (at the time) and the woman I loved... Well that's a fairly easy decision. Not marrying would have hurt her, why would I want to be stubborn about it?

And actually, now we are married I'm super happy we did it. Life feels a bit different, I feel that we're stronger as a unit, and I like all the new words and stuff. But I don't think it's something anyone needs to worry about until they get a bit older still. But they should approach these things with an open mind. Shutting doors is just kinda unhelpful IMO.

no angel

Did you shave your taint as well? I think that shit would be majorly uncomfortable when it grows back. I won't even trim my nose hair, hair grows back spikey.
I have to trim my nose hair. My wife bought me a hair trimmer contraption for christmas, it does noses, ears, all the hair you could possibly want to trim.

I'd asked for a new tv.

Chinner

Banned

really? i guess i need to take a long hard look at my life.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I understand people have their reasons and I respect them and am happy to celebrate other's marriage. For myself, I'm not so certain it's necessary and I have to disagree that age has anything to do with it.

Well, I don't believe in marriage and I'm hitched. If it has no meaning for you but does for your prospective other half, what does it matter, you know?

All I know is I want to make my wife happy. Since we were together for ten years, there was little likelihood of that changing and I never saw it as a big deal, I thought fuck it (romantic, ain't I?). You should've seen my wife's face on the day. Genuinely priceless. Got a great day out of it and a marvellous stag do. It hasn't changed anything for us, either.

Precise-a-Mundo.

Mikeside

I think Jed's opinion comes from a place where he wasn't AGAINST marriage, it just wasn't important to him.

If you're indifferent, then you can take meaning from the importance your other half puts on it - if making him/her happy is a big deal to you (and it should be) and getting married ISN'T a big deal to you, then I guess making your other half happy should easily win over.

If you're actually against marriage for whatever reason then it's as much important for them to respect what you want as it is for you to respect what they want. If two people have fundamentally different ideas about something like marriage or kids then one has to change their perspective or it's not going to work - which is fine. If we didn't have differences of opinion then how would we pick the people we're supposed to spend our time with?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I hear what you guys are saying. It's definitely something I can see compromising on in the future, I just have some reluctance. So far my girlfriend has been pretty meek about the subject but I think one of the first few times we talked about it in just an abstract way ("so what do you think of marriage these days") I was a bit too negative and thus she is pretending to be less interested than she really is.

Ultimately I can see myself consenting somewhere down the line, much in the manner Jed & Screaming Meat describe: to make her happy.

Children are still off the table for now, though.

Chinner

Banned
jesus all i said is that i dont see the point it, not that im against it. its just a little outdated thats all. dont need you guys going all Freudian on me saying my gf and i are not going to work because i have an anal fixation.

no angel

jesus all i said is that i dont see the point it, not that im against it. its just a little outdated thats all. dont need you guys going all Freudian on me saying my gf and i are not going to work because i have an anal fixation.
Maybe it's not going to work because you DONT have an anal fixation.

Just sayin'.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think Jed's opinion comes from a place where he wasn't AGAINST marriage, it just wasn't important to him.

If you're indifferent, then you can take meaning from the importance your other half puts on it - if making him/her happy is a big deal to you (and it should be) and getting married ISN'T a big deal to you, then I guess making your other half happy should easily win over.

If you're actually against marriage for whatever reason then it's as much important for them to respect what you want as it is for you to respect what they want. If two people have fundamentally different ideas about something like marriage or kids then one has to change their perspective or it's not going to work - which is fine. If we didn't have differences of opinion then how would we pick the people we're supposed to spend our time with?

Funnily enough, my wife and I have fundamentally different world views, yet we're perfect together. No idea why, but we are.

Christ alive, I couldn't imagine being with anyone who would agree with my Burroughs inspired bleak world outlook, they'd have to be some kind of twisted sociopath...

Tell me about your mother.

afoni

Banned
One of my flatmates has decided she wants to be a dildo today. I'd go into a Tash-like rant, but I don't feel like it.

Chinner

Banned
Tell me about your mother.

show me a woman full of courage, surrenders unconditional love to all her 9 children but a little more for her husband. show me a woman that is fearless and prestigious..she is the woman that gave birth to me. I love her more than anything this world and certainly couldn't ask for anything more. but in life everything comes with a disadvantaged or simply speed bumps preventing you from being your best. my mom is great person but i think my dad is preventing her from being an even better momma to us all. i never liked my dad, a mean he was never physically abusive towards her but verbally he EXHAUSTED her and would say some say really hurtful words that always ended up in her crying. my father has his good side and always strive to ensure our happiness but would treat my mom awfully at times and she would just say ''parents argue''.

now I sit back and see all my siblings and even me once talking to her disrespectfully but children do grow what they learn and adopt the actions surrounding them. whenever i find i talk to her awful i go apologize IMMEDIATELY and i ended up crying cause i hate that everyone feels the need to disrespect her. my older brother who's 23 is a HS drop out and he basically turned to drugs and he rebelled when he fond out that my dad abused me and my older sister..he was always disrespectful and would always blamed my mom cause he said she should've left him. my oldest brother who so far is the most successful child.. lives on his own but visits on weekends. he is a good brother but me and my other siblings hardly likes him because he is too strict and acts like our father. he would get upset and smack us for silly things but especially if we failed a test or had a bad report so basically he was our dad. but ever since i turned 18 i decided i wasn't gonna take any crap from him and decided if he ever lay a hand on me i leave and go my own way. I love my family but they can be a pain in the *** at times ESPECIALLY my dad and oldest brother. everyone see my older brother(23) as an outcast, even my parents and a mean he is constantly disrespectful but he has his reason and i still believe no matter what you should maintain respect to your parents especially if you are of age and still residing in their house. i maintain a good relationship with my brother nevertheless and he loves me and my older sis the most out of all.

I wish my mom would stop taking the constant disrespect from him and stop allowing him to be superior over her. whenever he gets mad at us she always takes his side and i know that its cause she fears his response. seeing what my mom has endured and is enduring all my life has shape me into the vile and heartless individual i am towards men who is abusive. I DESPISE them in every way and wouldn't ever allow myself to be stuck in such a situation. I just want want to say to all the women out there in any form of abusive relationship that it is important to accept who you are as an individual and love yourself first before you love anyone else. you deserve to be treated as wonderfully as you were created. my mom has gone through so much but still stands strong and is always there. my mother, may I inherit half her strength. she is a space lizard

no angel

show me a woman full of courage, surrenders unconditional love to all her 9 children but a little more for her husband. show me a woman that is fearless and prestigious..she is the woman that gave birth to me. I love her more than anything this world and certainly couldn't ask for anything more. but in life everything comes with a disadvantaged or simply speed bumps preventing you from being your best. my mom is great person but i think my dad is preventing her from being an even better momma to us all. i never liked my dad, a mean he was never physically abusive towards her but verbally he EXHAUSTED her and would say some say really hurtful words that always ended up in her crying. my father has his good side and always strive to ensure our happiness but would treat my mom awfully at times and she would just say ''parents argue''.

now I sit back and see all my siblings and even me once talking to her disrespectfully but children do grow what they learn and adopt the actions surrounding them. whenever i find i talk to her awful i go apologize IMMEDIATELY and i ended up crying cause i hate that everyone feels the need to disrespect her. my older brother who's 23 is a HS drop out and he basically turned to drugs and he rebelled when he fond out that my dad abused me and my older sister..he was always disrespectful and would always blamed my mom cause he said she should've left him. my oldest brother who so far is the most successful child.. lives on his own but visits on weekends. he is a good brother but me and my other siblings hardly likes him because he is too strict and acts like our father. he would get upset and smack us for silly things but especially if we failed a test or had a bad report so basically he was our dad. but ever since i turned 18 i decided i wasn't gonna take any crap from him and decided if he ever lay a hand on me i leave and go my own way. I love my family but they can be a pain in the *** at times ESPECIALLY my dad and oldest brother. everyone see my older brother(23) as an outcast, even my parents and a mean he is constantly disrespectful but he has his reason and i still believe no matter what you should maintain respect to your parents especially if you are of age and still residing in their house. i maintain a good relationship with my brother nevertheless and he loves me and my older sis the most out of all.

I wish my mom would stop taking the constant disrespect from him and stop allowing him to be superior over her. whenever he gets mad at us she always takes his side and i know that its cause she fears his response. seeing what my mom has endured and is enduring all my life has shape me into the vile and heartless individual i am towards men who is abusive. I DESPISE them in every way and wouldn't ever allow myself to be stuck in such a situation. I just want want to say to all the women out there in any form of abusive relationship that it is important to accept who you are as an individual and love yourself first before you love anyone else. you deserve to be treated as wonderfully as you were created. my mom has gone through so much but still stands strong and is always there. my mother, may I inherit half her strength. she is a space lizard
Chinner, I salute you sir.
Edit
I'm really glad I've put this at the top of a new page.

Mikeside

So I wanted to make this post on Sunday, but I've been pretty busy.
Also lazy.

OK, mostly lazy.

It's about Jedeye's band, Parachute for Gordo & their gig on Saturday night.
I'm going to sound like a total fanboy here, so please forgive (and Jedeye, temper your ego)

I've been to see them about 10 times now, I think & I'm obviously a big fan.
The first gig I went to was also the first time I properly met Jed & I walked in half-way through the set. It was refreshing to see a local band with obvious post-rock influence & I enjoyed what I heard but every gig I've been to has been an improvement on that first gig in one way or another.

Saturday night was honestly something else.

It helps when you've got a good sound engineer working & the guy on that night was pretty fantastic - it sounded great in the room - a lot of energy coming from all over & great clarity of sound (in a venue that usually sounds like muddy shit in my experience to boot)

They've got some butt-kicking tracks, too & the set was a fantastically paced one. Hog in the Trough is a great opener that feels like a pacey introduction to the band & this was probably their best performance of it that I've heard - it's a track that feels very fast and loose but critically isn't.
Jed, you guys need to open with Hog every time, it's the perfect mood setter.

The only other track I'm going to mention is Labrador Deceiver/Labradoodlebug (which I will forever call The Labrador Saga, because it sounds awesome), because it's the best example of what I'm really loving about where this band is going.

So many ideas crammed into a 2-part track which, admittedly, lasts for about 15 minutes. The important thing is, against all odds, how well it all gels together & creates a really strong and dynamic atmosphere. There's a little bit of everything I love about the band in this track. I seriously can't wait for Labrador to be recorded so I can really pick it apart.

I'm going to cut this off here, but they're playing again on the 12th November in Guildford and I really think anyone local should consider coming to it, because fuuuuuuck is this band exciting right now.

Chinner

Banned
"Parachute for Gordon is the new 'Radiohead'" - Iammikeside

are there any songs online i can listen to? i wont be a dick i promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom