• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn77

It's brilliant. I go every year, without fail, and never regret it. Just be sure to take plenty of money with you as it can get a tad expensive. Still, totally worth the money spent. Plenty of entertainment and it's not all outdoors like people assume, it's sheltered in cute wooden huts and the food - aw, man, the food.

Seconded, never fail to visit(multiple times!) The only problem is that on a weekend it can get implausibly busy. So much so you can actually get stuck in there and lose all hope of ever leaving Germany! If you can go earlier in the day/early evening it's great though. My recommendation for food. Knobi Satt: The most potent and awesome garlic bread ever. Also, don't forget to tip your hat to the singing moose.

P.S Hello BritGAF, first time application post.

Seconded, never fail to visit(multiple times!) The only problem is that on a weekend it can get implausibly busy. So much so you can actually get stuck in there and lose all hope of ever leaving Germany! If you can go earlier in the day/early evening it's great though. My recommendation for food. Knobi Satt: The most potent and awesome garlic bread ever. Also, don't forget to tip your hat to the singing moose.

P.S Hello BritGAF, first time application post.

Hang on are we talking about the same thing here? We were on about the German market in Birmingham, are you refering to actual markets in Germany?

Oh, and Hi!

SKINNER!

Banned
Put me down as a maybe Ninj! Any chance for a spare sofa/floor space at your place? If not then I'll happily hit up a hostel/cheap hotel room.

Symphonia

Banned
Hang on are we talking about the same thing here? We were on about the German market in Birmingham, are you refering to actual markets in Germany?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that. I thought I misread the post and re-read it several times.

Edit: Welp, the joke went right over my head. But, Musha, go to the market. Hell, maybe next year we could do a meet at the market and make a night of it. It really is a great experience.

Hello! I'm on about Birmingham as well. That was a poor gag!

Ah ok, just thought I'd check. It's sometimes hard to gauge jokes in written form. Especially with newbies, can never tell what sense of humour people have right away.

I think you'll fit in here just fine :)

Flynn77

Ah ok, just thought I'd check. It's sometimes hard to gauge jokes in written form. Especially with newbies, can never tell what sense of humour people have right away.

I think you'll fit in here just fine :)

:) On the flipside of this, I was worried that you both had actual knowledge of a singing moose in Germany.

NinjaBoiX

lol you pot stirrer with your popularity contests :p

I'm cool if you guys move it to the 22nd, I prob won't be able to make it then because it's <7 days from payday but if it means I'm not spending £200 more than a normal month then it's not necessarily a bad thing for my wallet!

Ninj, thanks for the sofa-loan! Muchos appreciados!

I've been able to get to pretty much every meetup since the first one I've been to, Jed's had to miss plenty. If it came down to picking one or the other then it's gotta be the Sniv's turn.

But yeah, I'll drive up and meet you guys in Newcastle then drive back down to Rezzed the next day (if I can stomach the drive early enough to be worth it)
OK guys, I'm leaving it as 29th then.

I said to myself that I wouldn't change it, the date is the date, as there will always be someone it isn't suitable for. So I'll leave it as it is.

As Mike is being super accommodating as usual, he'll still be able to come. The other way round and Jed probably couldn't. Thanks Mike, you is a star! Plus, look at it this way, you get to save on a hotel in Birmingham. ;)

(We can sort out details closer Mike, but just parking at mine and hopping on the Metro will get you into Newcastle inside half an hour.)

Also, who knows when I'll next get to meet Mrs Jed.
Put me down as a maybe Ninj! Any chance for a spare sofa/floor space at your place? If not then I'll happily hit up a hostel/cheap hotel room.
Off course man!

I pretty sure you were already on the list. You, Mike, Mush, Jim and I think that was it at the minute. I've got space for like 4, maybe 5 without taking the piss.

Flynn, get thee to the OP and fill in the entry form.

Symphonia

Banned
On the flipside of this, I was worried that you both had actual knowledge of a singing moose in Germany.
I don't know about Germany but I've seen many singing moose when walking through the German market. Of course, it helps that I've been highly intoxicated while attending it, haha.

8bit

Knows the Score
I can't say I remember seeing a singing moose at any of the German Christmas markets I've been to in Germany. That said, these visits do tend to be fogged by excessive Glühwein consumption.

SmokyDave

Morning ya sexy fuckers. Hope everyone is groovy.

We get the keys to the new place on Friday. Sweeeeet. Really looking forward to a new four walls and a chance to set up my PS4's environment 'just so'. For the last year I've been getting by on 2.1 because the layout of our living room just wasn't conducive to banging another 5 decent-sized speakers in there. It'll be so good putting my system back together properly and then bathing in the sweet, sweet surround.

I'm quite looking forward to setting up a nursery too. Wish the Vita TV servers were up over here so I could slip one in there.

:) On the flipside of this, I was worried that you both had actual knowledge of a singing moose in Germany.

I wish I knew a singing moose.

We get the keys to the new place on Friday. Sweeeeet. Really looking forward to a new four walls and a chance to set up my PS4's environment 'just so'. For the last year I've been getting by on 2.1 because the layout of our living room just wasn't conducive to banging another 5 decent-sized speakers in there. It'll be so good putting my system back together properly and then bathing in the sweet, sweet surround.

I'm quite looking forward to setting up a nursery too. Wish the Vita TV servers were up over here so I could slip one in there.

Morning Dave! Congrats on the new pad, hope the move goes swimmingly for you!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Check you out, you actual grown up. Getting married, putting babies in your wife, now getting a new house. That's it now, you just need to wait out till the mid-life crisis in 20 years :)

Mikeside

Sounds fuckin' excellent, man! Congrats on the pad.
Zavvi cancelled my 2nd PS4 order, by the way :( Sorry Dave!!! I think John Lewis might be a good bet for a PS4 on launch day and I'm pretty sure Tesco aren't sold out of their Knack Bundle for launch day, if you're still looking.

OK guys, I'm leaving it as 29th then.

I said to myself that I wouldn't change it, the date is the date, as there will always be someone it isn't suitable for. So I'll leave it as it is.

As Mike is being super accommodating as usual, he'll still be able to come. The other way round and Jed probably couldn't. Thanks Mike, you is a star! Plus, look at it this way, you get to save on a hotel in Birmingham. ;)

(We can sort out details closer Mike, but just parking at mine and hopping on the Metro will get you into Newcastle inside half an hour.)

Also, who knows when I'll next get to meet Mrs Jed.

Off course man!

I pretty sure you were already on the list. You, Mike, Mush, Jim and I think that was it at the minute. I've got space for like 4, maybe 5 without taking the piss.

Flynn, get thee to the OP and fill in the entry form.

Sweet as a nut. Cannot wait, it's gonna be an epic night on the tiles.
Might we see mr and mrs Dave?

SmokyDave

Morning Dave! Congrats on the new pad, hope the move goes swimmingly for you!
Cheers Lady! Only moving five minutes up the road and we've given ourselves a full month to move house so it should be a piece of piss. The new house has under-floor heating in the kitchen, which I'm oddly excited about. Looking forward to making breakfast bare-footed over the winter.

Check you out, you actual grown up. Getting married, putting babies in your wife, now getting a new house. That's it now, you just need to wait out till the mid-life crisis in 20 years :)
I know, man! It's happened so fast! I mean, we've been together for 9 years, but we've been largely living like overgrown teenagers for most of that. We're still not 'proper' grown ups, nor do we want to be. I'm going to stave off the mid-life crisis by never growing up that much. I fully expect the kid to have to look after us when she hits about 10.

Sounds fuckin' excellent, man! Congrats on the pad.
Zavvi cancelled my 2nd PS4 order, by the way :( Sorry Dave!!! I think John Lewis might be a good bet for a PS4 on launch day and I'm pretty sure Tesco aren't sold out of their Knack Bundle for launch day, if you're still looking.

Might we see mr and mrs Dave?
Cheers chap!

My PS4 hunt is going to be frantic. I've got a tiny gap on the morning of the 29th to hit up one Sainsbury's, one Asda and one Argos and then I need to be at work. If that fails (and I suspect it will), I'll have another crack over the weekend. If that fails (and I suspect it will), I might just order one from Amazon and live with the wait. I'd love to be there day one, but I reckon I've missed the boat.

I can't see me & the missus being available for the Newcastle meet sadly, the little un will only be two weeks old then, so we'll be sitting at home crying tears of joy. Or, just crying. Probably just crying to be honest.

Mikeside

Cheers chap!

My PS4 hunt is going to be frantic. I've got a tiny gap on the morning of the 29th to hit up one Sainsbury's, one Asda and one Argos and then I need to be at work. If that fails (and I suspect it will), I'll have another crack over the weekend. If that fails (and I suspect it will), I might just order one from Amazon and live with the wait. I'd love to be there day one, but I reckon I've missed the boat.

I can't see me & the missus being available for the Newcastle meet sadly, the little un will only be two weeks old then, so we'll be sitting at home crying tears of joy. Or, just crying. Probably just crying to be honest.

Ahh bud.
Best bet is probably either pre-ordering the Knack bundle at Tesco or going to John Lewis website the minute it becomes available (they don't do pre-orders, they start selling when the product goes live)

As for no meet - boo! but best excuse ever.
Still need to get me some Smoky time.

NinjaBoiX

Congrats on the new gaff Dave, sounds sweet! Under floor heating is the way forward man, so toasty.

An understandable "boo" on the meet though. Stupid baby.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Quandry for the day. I need to go to town (30 min hilly walk) to post a lot of letters. Do I:

a) eat lunch for free at school. I think it's sausage and chips today. Then go to town afterwards.
b) go into town and do the Weatherspoons burger, chips and a pint for a fiver.

hmmm. Leaning towards the second option as a treat for carrying 200 letters down the hill...

Cheers Lady! Only moving five minutes up the road and we've given ourselves a full month to move house so it should be a piece of piss. The new house has under-floor heating in the kitchen, which I'm oddly excited about. Looking forward to making breakfast bare-footed over the winter.

Now that's how you move house. No rushing around halfway across town over one day or weekend. Will take a leaf out of your book if I ever get around to moving.

I know, man! It's happened so fast! I mean, we've been together for 9 years, but we've been largely living like overgrown teenagers for most of that. We're still not 'proper' grown ups, nor do we want to be. I'm going to stave off the mid-life crisis by never growing up that much. I fully expect the kid to have to look after us when she hits about 10.

Me and Andy are exactly the same, we've been together 7 years and still act like kids. We're hopefully chucking one in the oven soon, I suppose the other stuff should come soon after that. I plan on never being an adult.

Shame, but totes understandable, you will both be zombies for a long time.

Quandry for the day. I need to go to town (30 min hilly walk) to post a lot of letters. Do I:

a) eat lunch for free at school. I think it's sausage and chips today. Then go to town afterwards.
b) go into town and do the Weatherspoons burger, chips and a pint for a fiver.

hmmm. Leaning towards the second option as a treat for carrying 200 letters down the hill...

If you could have a pint with the free sausage and chips I'd go for that option. But that's probably not a possibility, so go with the Spoons.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Me and Andy are exactly the same, we've been together 7 years and still act like kids. We're hopefully chucking one in the oven soon, I suppose the other stuff should come soon after that. I plan on never being an adult.

If you could have a pint with the free sausage and chips I'd go for that option. But that's probably not a possibility, so go with the Spoons.

I'm thinking the spoons too, although it just started to fookin hammer it down here, I might have to delay till the rain chills out a bit.

As for being kids, I feel exactly the same with Mrs H. We've been together going on 14 years now and we met when we were 17 and never really grew out of it. Being a grownup is something you find sneaks up on you. Before you know it you're giving sound advice and being responsible.

We played a show with a bunch of kids at the weekend and it made me realise that shit, I really have grown up because the kids are so fresh faced and shy. I'm quite happy being in my 30s though, it feels right. And I can still watch cartoons.

I'm thinking the spoons too, although it just started to fookin hammer it down here, I might have to delay till the rain chills out a bit.

As for being kids, I feel exactly the same with Mrs H. We've been together going on 14 years now and we met when we were 17 and never really grew out of it. Being a grownup is something you find sneaks up on you. Before you know it you're giving sound advice and being responsible.

We played a show with a bunch of kids at the weekend and it made me realise that shit, I really have grown up because the kids are so fresh faced and shy. I'm quite happy being in my 30s though, it feels right. And I can still watch cartoons.

How do you live in Aldershot and not drive? Walking around this place must be depressing! If you ever need a lift never be afraid to ask :p

Symphonia

Banned
I just wasted an hour trying to obtain a lost reference number from the police station in town only to be told they can't give me one so I need to speak to O2. I speak to O2 and they refer me back to the police station who refer me back to O2. I just gave up, grabbed a Greggs and will proceed by phone.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How do you live in Aldershot and not drive? Walking around this place must be depressing! If you ever need a lift never be afraid to ask :p

eh, never needed to :) I live by the football stadium and my bus comes near from my door all the way to work in Godalming. Walking's not so bad, it's a lost art for a lot of people.

star-wars-1_zps040671c3.jpg

SmokyDave

Fuck, that sounds unmissable.

On the subject of films, Netflix and Lovefilm are both shit. I must've searched for about fifteen films yesterday and neither service had 'em. I'm not talking about niche stuff either, I was looking for Goodfellas, Platoon, Independence Day, that kinda thing.

They're OK to browse and watch stuff at random, but it's so frustrating when 100% of your searches come up empty-handed.

I ended up making the missus sit through Howard the Duck.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

On the subject of films, Netflix and Lovefilm are both shit. I must've searched for about fifteen films yesterday and neither service had 'em. I'm not talking about niche stuff either, I was looking for Goodfellas, Platoon, Independence Day, that kinda thing.

They're OK to browse and watch stuff at random, but it's so frustrating when 100% of your searches come up empty-handed.

Do you have Unblock Us? Way way more stuff available on the other countries' services. But really, it's not very good at all for "I want to watch this specific movie", it's more for scrolling through and going "oh that looks interesting".

Watch Maniac with Elijah Wood, it's the most fucked up horror film I've seen for years.

Yeah if you want a specific film they're rubbish. But if you don't know what to watch it's pretty good, especially for TV boxsets. I'm rewatching Roswell at the mo.

jimbor

Banned
Do you have Unblock Us? Way way more stuff available on the other countries' services. But really, it's not very good at all for "I want to watch this specific movie", it's more for scrolling through and going "oh that looks interesting".

Watch Maniac with Elijah Wood, it's the most fucked up horror film I've seen for years.

The mediahint plug in for chrome is good for cheapskates that don't want to subscribe to Unblock US.

On my Christmas film search yesterday, UK netflix only had two whereas US had a lot more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
netflix is best for tv series and stuff. film is weak, but its collection has come a long way since last year though.
I got Love Film for free for a year. It's good if you like horrow films but not much else.

Ended up watching Batman with it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Currently watching Tangled.

sogood.gif

That film is actually so good! The horse is brilliant. I was very pleasantly surprised by the film, I was expecting kids shite and got something much more beautiful. Actually a bit excited for Frozen, but that OP has turned me off it, those people are too excited about the music for my liking. Jeez people, it's just Disney songs, not a new Radiohead/LadyGaga (depending on what side of the divide you may fall) record

Yeah if you want a specific film they're rubbish. But if you don't know what to watch it's pretty good, especially for TV boxsets. I'm rewatching Roswell at the mo.

It's great for TV for sure. We currently have Mad Men (s4) and the Tudors (s1) on the go, might be dipping into Sons of Anarchy too, but the pilot didn't set my balls on fire. Great for sitcoms too, Parks and rec + 30 Rock is a great combo. And Malcolm in the Middle, rediscovering that show is a joy. Plus they have Community on Canada and Party Down on Sweden.

re: The Tudors - fuck me, Anne Boleyn is even hotter here than she is on Game of Thrones, how is that possible?!?!

CHEEZMO™;90601255 said:
Guys I need to write a cover letter to apply at CEX.

wat do

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I enjoy helping customers trade in two week old games and DVDs which are already caked in dirt, grime, semen, plus other bodily fluids, as well as scratched to hell.

Giz a job!
Love, Cheezmo"

jimbor

Banned
That film is actually so good! The horse is brilliant. I was very pleasantly surprised by the film, I was expecting kids shite and got something much more beautiful. Actually a bit excited for Frozen, but that OP has turned me off it, those people are too excited about the music for my liking. Jeez people, it's just Disney songs, not a new Radiohead/LadyGaga (depending on what side of the divide you may fall) record

It's great for TV for sure. We currently have Mad Men (s4) and the Tudors (s1) on the go, might be dipping into Sons of Anarchy too, but the pilot didn't set my balls on fire. Great for sitcoms too, Parks and rec + 30 Rock is a great combo. And Malcolm in the Middle, rediscovering that show is a joy. Plus they have Community on Canada and Party Down on Sweden.

re: The Tudors - fuck me, Anne Boleyn is even hotter here than she is on Game of Thrones, how is that possible?!?!

Sons Of Anarchy never rises above okay disposable tv, best suited for if you've got nothing better to watch/veg out to. The writer wrote some of the episodes for The Shield which pisses all over SoA from a great height.

But then I see you're watching The Tudors which is absolute gash.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That seems like a lot of work. What's the big deal? Have a G+ account that you never use, attach it to the youtube. I have two of the buggers that I never use.

The internet wouldn't be right without OCD people blowing my mind at least once a day :)
Negative, soldier. Already attached a legit gmail account I had back when it originally asked; now I have to log in using that gmail account to access Youtube and they are getting closer and closer to forcing me to use that as my Youtube, and I don't fancy making a Google+ or having my real name (attached to gmail) on Youtube. They really fucked people in that they are closing the noose around their services in a bid to mine more information and force people into their social network that nobody wants.

Another thing that inspired a switch was stumbling across the web history part of my google account. Shows everything you've ever looked up on google search, google maps, every youtube video you've ever clicked, every image you've ever looked at via google images etc as long as you were logged into some google service at the time. Scary shit totally outside my knowledge and control seeing as clearing cookies / private browsing doesn't affect this information being collected.

Symphonia

Banned
That film is actually so good! The horse is brilliant. I was very pleasantly surprised by the film, I was expecting kids shite and got something much more beautiful. Actually a bit excited for Frozen, but that OP has turned me off it, those people are too excited about the music for my liking. Jeez people, it's just Disney songs, not a new Radiohead/LadyGaga (depending on what side of the divide you may fall) record.
The only thing that's putting me off Frozen slightly is that damn snowman but, apparently, there's a reason for the way he looks and sounds that is integral to the overall plot so I'll forgive it for that. I'll no doubt take my daughter to see it so I have an excuse to watch it too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sons Of Anarchy never rises above okay disposable tv, best suited for if you've got nothing better to watch/veg out to. The writer wrote some of the episodes for The Shield which pisses all over SoA from a great height.

But then I see you're watching The Tudors which is absolute gash.

Oh yes, the Sheild! They just added that to Canadian Netflix, that's the show I keep meaning to start but forget what it is.

And the Tudors is a perfect off-season tits'n'swords show while GoT is on break. Do you know any other/better shows in the tits'n'swords genre? I'm liking the Tudors so far, Henry is manic and weird and Anne is seriously one of the best looking women in the world. There was this shot where Henry was falling in love with her and I was like "yep, I can see that"

Negative, soldier. Already attached a legit gmail account I had back when it originally asked; now I have to log in using that gmail account to access Youtube and they are getting closer and closer to forcing me to use that as my Youtube, and I don't fancy making a Google+ or having my real name (attached to gmail) on Youtube. They really fucked people in that they are closing the noose around their services in a bid to mine more information and force people into their social network that nobody wants.

Another thing that inspired a switch was stumbling across the web history part of my google account. Shows everything you've ever looked up on google search, google maps, every youtube video you've ever clicked, every image you've ever looked at via google images etc as long as you were logged into some google service at the time. Scary shit totally outside my knowledge and control seeing as clearing cookies / private browsing doesn't affect this information being collected.

What have you got against real name stuff on Youtube? I can totally get not wanting real names everywhere online, I wouldn't want my GAF name public for instance given the shady/honest shit I will say. But unless you're a stereotypical Youtube commenter I'm having a hard time finding the problem. People would be able to see on a search that Jack Ben (if that is your real name) is a fan of anime soundtracks, makeup guides and waterboarding tutorials, what's the problem? In fact, if it cuts down on the percentage of "asscock" posts, I'm very happy with the Real Names on YT.

As for searches, yep, I realised that because I share a Google account with my bandmates (so we can all login to the same YT account etc) and Google will not for the life of them remember that I want to use my other account for searching. So my bandmates have an intimate knowledge of my preferences in erotica and the random questions that come to me at 2 in the morning. Great.

The only thing that's putting me off Frozen slightly is that damn snowman but, apparently, there's a reason for the way he looks and sounds that is integral to the overall plot so I'll forgive it for that. I'll no doubt take my daughter to see it so I have an excuse to watch it too.

Excuses are good. Nobody wants to look like a pedo while enjoying a good cartoon in the cinema on a saturday afternoon. Is your daughter a talker yet? I can see that taking a preverbal child to the pics could scupper the excuse pretty quickly.

I'm thinking of buying a filter coffee machine.

Thoughts?

Coffee is minging. That's my thought :p

theaface

Hey BritGaf. Long time GAF lurker, infrequent poster, yadda yadda.

Thought it would be worthwhile saying hello before plucking up the courage to attend the BritGaf meet on the 7th.

So, how's everybody doing? What's the protocol around here? High level summary of private jokes that a newcomer like myself totally won't get...?

NinjaBoiX

Currently watching Tangled.

sogood.gif
Yeah man, it's really funny. The bit with the horse and the main dude fighting over the bag had me creased. I rewound it twice.
Rub your distinctive musk onto an envelope.
Dirty lulz.
I'm thinking of buying a filter coffee machine.

Thoughts?
Do it. Proper coffee is the nuts.

Don't buy one of those bullshit "pod" machines though, like the Tassimo ones. Once they stop making the sachets, you're left with a large ugly plastic ornament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom